Congratulations Melbourne - one new case, no deaths

2 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Untrue. I have not said that at all so please stop putting words into my mouth.

You have repeatedly claimed the QLD premier acted politically rather than on the advice of the CHO. I don't have to put words in your mouth, you are doing it yourself.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

You have repeatedly claimed the QLD premier acted politically rather than on the advice of the CHO. I don't have to put words in your mouth, you are doing it yourself.

Your quote which started this chain was "So why would the Qld premier ignore the Qld CHO advice to listen to other health officer's advice. "

This is not something I said, so claiming I did just starts an argument the same as if I made strawman arguments claiming you said something you didn't.

Thanks for posting all the charts Mic. I have to say wow for all of Australia great work. We are well and truly in a heavy second wave here in BC, we seem to have about 500 cases a day province wide. Over the weekend there were 46 deaths reported in BC.

Congratulations everyone for your cooperative spirit even with the interstate rivalry.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And no new community transfer cases in Tasmania either.

DOUGHNUTS ALL OVER AUSTRALIA !!!!!!!

None left, Fairy bread all round.1316258450_th(6).jpg.35747f2a5bbaa623396e3851ccc21717.jpg

My son, Mr Chimu is down in Hobart, Tasmania for a couple of days re his sponsorship of the Mawson Hut Foundation Museum, on the waterfront there.  Flew Jetstar from Sydney, he just rang me, said plane was jam packed, not a spare seat, few masks.  No social distancing on the flying machines.

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

This is not something I said, so claiming I did just starts an argument the same as if I made strawman arguments claiming you said something you didn't.

So let's use an exact quote:

"Except it was when QLD made it political by extending it when it didn't need to be."

For that to be correct Anna P. would have had to pressure her CHO to maintain the border closure. Why would anybody think that is true? What is the evidence for this?

Unless you expected Anna P. to overrule her CHO.

There was no political dimension to the NSW border closure until it was created by the LNP. Qld closed it's border to NSW pretty much the same time as SA, WA, Tas, and NT. Which was around the time of the Crossroads Hotel outbreak. NSW did not get that outbreak under control until just recently. There were ongoing clusters of covid in Western Sydney for months. That was the health based reason for the NSW closure. Just as NSW had health based reasons to close to Vic.

The criticism of the Qld government that took place during the Qld state election, did so with the background that all those other states and territories also had border closures with NSW. Yet at the time those other places saw virtually no criticism from Canberra, Gladys or the Murdoch press. Those places did not open up to NSW until after the Qld election.

It was the Qld Chief Health Officer who determined when and for how long border closures should take place. Had Anna P. wanted to open the border she would have had to overrule her own CHO.

You've been making this same argument for weeks, that Queensland should have opened it's borders on demand by Gladys. Anna P. was never going to overrule her CHO. I'm not even sure that she can under Qld law.

This is a tiresome argument, yet you keep resurrecting it. How about we both go back to commenting on cruising?

Edited by SinbadThePorter
2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Enough! This had already been done to death and many of us here are sick of it. This thread is to celebrate the good news from all the states. Let's keep it that way, please.

I agree Julie there are a couple members who need to move on because the back and forth is beyond now. Agree to disagree and move on. Stand each other a pint.

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I agree Julie there are a couple members who need to move on because the back and forth is beyond now. Agree to disagree and move on. Stand each other a pint.

I fully agree.

I am very willing to leave the matter if others are, but if false claims keep getting dragged up it behooves someone to rebut them. If you notice my posts about this have always been in the form of rebuttals.

Let's talk about cruising. 😍

Edited by SinbadThePorter
2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I can't help thinking about the differences - we are discussing single cases or COVID, whereas in the US they have thousands of positive tests a day. The actual numbers there are believe to be higher than the official numbers.

When the debacle with quarantine with the Pakistani cricket team occurred a commentator made an interesting point that Australia, NZ Taiwan are outliers in the world which is going to make it very difficult when reopening borders because to the world our Covid prevention measures are considered so unusual. It will be interesting going forward as to how we inform visitors that we are different and give people a realistic expectation of entering our countries without confusion or putting people off🤔

38 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

When the debacle with quarantine with the Pakistani cricket team occurred a commentator made an interesting point that Australia, NZ Taiwan are outliers in the world which is going to make it very difficult when reopening borders because to the world our Covid prevention measures are considered so unusual. It will be interesting going forward as to how we inform visitors that we are different and give people a realistic expectation of entering our countries without confusion or putting people off🤔

I can't see any problems. If people want to visit our country they conform to our rules and the onus is on them to check what those rules are. There are many countries around the world whose customs are different to ours, even before Covid, and we would be expected to conform to those customs if visiting those countries. Covid just adds an extra level on to that. The Pakistani cricket team were acting like prima donnas with no respect for the rules of the country they were visiting.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

.  No social distancing on the flying machines.

What no opening windows.... I remember took a flight in a DC-3  from cairns to cooktown...

Found out two thing... the sickbags are for wrapping round your 4X and the pilot opened his window for me to take a photo through ....... those were the day   and not a sardine in sight....and drove round  cairns in a mini moke.....cool

Actually it was the last time in far north Queensland   stayed at trinity beach a long drive through farm land north of cairns

Don    having a day going through the old brain box 

Edited by getting older slowly
2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Molsons all round?

59 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

What no opening windows.... I remember took a flight in a DC-3  from cairns to cooktown...

Found out two thing... the sickbags are for wrapping round your 4X and the pilot opened his window for me to take a photo through ....... those were the day   and not a sardine in sight....and drove round  cairns in a mini moke.....cool

Actually it was the last time in far north Queensland   stayed at trinity beach a long drive through farm land north of cairns

Don    having a day going through the old brain box 

Pure Gold Don. Have a well chilled Jacobs Creek Riesling. I went to Dans today, $200 later I came out. 

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Pure Gold Don. Have a well chilled Jacobs Creek Riesling. I went to Dans today, $200 later I came out. 

Thanks  Les,  I know feeling with a trip to Dan's......   Just started our shopping list for our 4 night escape from Melbourne on Monday..... so far I got dinner and drinks.... it going to a bit of splurge   as haven't been away overnight from home since last December, and something about getting older....

I will put jacobs creek on ice, but tonight is Tuna Steaks with Sparkling Shiraz   along with chips and salad.

And hope you are getting better, I am raising my G&T to good health   cheers Les

Don

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I can't see any problems. If people want to visit our country they conform to our rules and the onus is on them to check what those rules are. There are many countries around the world whose customs are different to ours, even before Covid, and we would be expected to conform to those customs if visiting those countries. Covid just adds an extra level on to that. The Pakistani cricket team were acting like prima donnas with no respect for the rules of the country they were visiting.

I think it is a little different when you ask people to do two weeks quarantine and they don't understand what is the purpose or reasoning to keep them locked up. We can't just assume people "get it" because we are the minority in the world to have got Covid under control and most people don't understand why. Personally I would rather we make sure all visitors are fully informed of what to expect when entering our country before setting foot on the plane instead of hoping they have done their own research and understand the purpose behind the method. After all these are people who could start a potential infection. I just think it is too great a risk to be relying on visitors own initiative.