The Daily for Saturday Oct 17, 2020

richwmn

today is National Pasta Day, Sweetest Day, and Wear Something Gaudy Day

Ask not for whom the telephone bell tolls ... if thou art in the bathtub, it tolls for thee.

Just because your doctor has a name for your condition doesn't mean he knows what it is.

Meal suggestion for today - Lemon Garlic Shrimp

Drink of the Day - Martini

Wine of the day - Caparzo Brunello di Montalcino vintage 2013

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Caracas Bay
Oosterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Torquay GB
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

1017World.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  That's a great combination of days and two very timely quotes.  I don't eat seafood so I'll pass on the shrimp but will probably honor pasta tonight.  My alternate meal suggestion is Coconut Nutmeg Soup, Grilled Turkey Breast, and Mixed Berry Tart, as served on the Amsterdam October 17, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires

Kazu’s sister, niece, and BIL

Debbie’s nephew and his girlfriend

Family and friends of Denise’s friend who died of cancer October 13

Sharon’s book club member

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily, Mickb

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

StLouisCruisers on a road trip to visit aged mother

Fall colors

and Sharon in Az getting word that one shingles shot gave substantial protection

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Dawg...  Thanks for the update.  I had Lemon Garlic Shrimp yesterday so will pass.  Beef Brisket tonight with a glass of cheap wine.  Rum and Coke instead of Martini.

Have a great day...

• Like 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting collection of days.  Good quotes.

I'd love garlic shrimp tonight, but we're having roast beef instead.

Sending prayers for everyone.  And a raise a glass and toast everyone with something to celebrate.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Good Morning Dawg...  Thanks for the update.  I had Lemon Garlic Shrimp yesterday so will pass.  Beef Brisket tonight with a glass of cheap wine.  Rum and Coke instead of Martini.

Have a great day...

I'd love to join you in the Rum and Coke around 7pm. Today has the makings of a great day -- we'll have to see what happens later. Hope you have a great day as well.

• Like 8

Good Saturday Morning dailyites.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your lists.

Wear something Gaudy....should be an interesting day.  And happy Sweetest Day to all.  And we have Pasta day several times a week.

Martini:

Ingredients: 1/2 oz (1 part) Dry vermouth, 3 oz (6 parts) Gin
Preparation: Straight: Pour all ingredients into mixing glass with ice cubes. Stir well. Strain in chilled martini cocktail glass. Squeeze oil from lemon peel onto the drink, or garnish with olive.
Served: Straight (or on the rocks)
Standard garnish: Lemon twist, Olive

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask please.  Prayers to all and congratulations to others.
  • Like 12

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What a combination of days!  We can honour pasta tonight.  Goes well with Lemon Garlic Shrimp 😉 

Love those two quotes - the one on the bathtub is always true here 😉 

I will save my rare martini for when I am on board my cruise, thanks.  But, there will be wine tonight 😉  I certainly earned it yesterday.

I’m sore, but I got it all done.  All the planters except these two (I just left the mums and took everything else out):

DC6CA47B-0431-4BB4-A8FB-10565FCC4C66.thumb.jpeg.85efd7b8531e9f85613c2474ba2f7e84.jpeg

are empty and the dahlias, cannas, callas, etc are all dug up and have been moved into the house to dry (rain in the forecast today).

F5041879-1E0C-4AC0-A8CF-3849B36B1CDE.thumb.jpeg.21e3eda3ce2d9c67a5b2934ef43244d9.jpeg

We just had the driveway re-paved so we put the potting soil to good use to fill in the gap  created by the new height (and of course we planted seed).

BE9FB687-D207-4C11-A87C-C2FD5908F37C.thumb.jpeg.be952c6e4e8925447cd11cf8702defe6.jpeg

The winds and rain have played with the foliage and we already had 10 bags of leaves but here is a glimpse of some colour for you:

5FE22207-959C-4032-8A79-8F1F8A39A594.thumb.jpeg.c055891b8a4c8480670c78045995e50b.jpeg

4BC55F01-945F-4E57-B59B-4A495A16979E.thumb.jpeg.1481b6f6bbb4c9bd1e200ad822ebd269.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & anyone who needs them and a toast to everyone we are celebrating 🙂 

Have a great Saturday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks. 😷 

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What a combination of days!  We can honour pasta tonight.  Goes well with Lemon Garlic Shrimp 😉 

Love those two quotes - the one on the bathtub is always true here 😉 

I will save my rare martini for when I am on board my cruise, thanks.  But, there will be wine tonight 😉  I certainly earned it yesterday.

I’m sore, but I got it all done.  All the planters except these two (I just left the mums and took everything else out):

DC6CA47B-0431-4BB4-A8FB-10565FCC4C66.thumb.jpeg.85efd7b8531e9f85613c2474ba2f7e84.jpeg

are empty and the dahlias, cannas, callas, etc are all dug up and have been moved into the house to dry (rain in the forecast today).

F5041879-1E0C-4AC0-A8CF-3849B36B1CDE.thumb.jpeg.21e3eda3ce2d9c67a5b2934ef43244d9.jpeg

We just had the driveway re-paved so we put the potting soil to good use to fill in the gap  created by the new height (and of course we planted seed).

BE9FB687-D207-4C11-A87C-C2FD5908F37C.thumb.jpeg.be952c6e4e8925447cd11cf8702defe6.jpeg

The winds and rain have played with the foliage and we already had 10 bags of leaves but here is a glimpse of some colour for you:

5FE22207-959C-4032-8A79-8F1F8A39A594.thumb.jpeg.c055891b8a4c8480670c78045995e50b.jpeg

4BC55F01-945F-4E57-B59B-4A495A16979E.thumb.jpeg.1481b6f6bbb4c9bd1e200ad822ebd269.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & anyone who needs them and a toast to everyone we are celebrating 🙂 

Have a great Saturday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks. 😷 

Fall color is peaking in Northern Michigan.  It's beautiful, just too bad the snow has to follow 🙂

• Like 8

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Great combo of days - though we each might define “gaudy” differently.  Today must also be “two quotes” day! Today’s meal sounds delicious. Love vodka-based martinis.

Roy thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Another red wine today. Heading out this evening for tapas & wine at a friend’s place with a couple other folk. Today is “work on my to-do” list day. 
@kazu, Jacqui you earned a few glasses of wine!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This Tuscan Brunello has great ratings for all released vintages. Prices start at $40. This wine “cuts more of a broad swath than its peers, yet remains graceful”.🤔 You can all just take your best guess with that description. This does sound interesting.

#17 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

The Caparzo Brunello di Montalcino displays deep garnet color with full and penetrating aromas of wild berries. The palate is dry, warm full-bodied while harmonious, delicate and austere at the same time, persistent. Pair with roasts, grilled and spit-roasted meats, game, braised meats, and aged cheeses.

WS95  Wine Spectator
This cuts more of a broad swath than its peers, yet remains graceful, evoking strawberry, cherry, tobacco and stony mineral flavors. Long and dense in structure, with a tobacco- and underbrush-tinged finish. Best from 2021 through 2033.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 14

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I've often said gaudy is my favourite colour, so woo hoo!  A great combination of days; pasta and sweets. 

In case some of you were wondering what DH came up with for dinner last night, it wasn't anything gag-worthy.  A simple meal of ramen noodles - to which he added a can of vegetables and some broth - and ham sandwiches was our repast.  I love the meal suggestion for today, but have a pork loin that will be going into the slow cooker with some bbq sauce for pulled pork sandwiches.  I'll likely make a brownie for dessert to honour Sweetest Day.  And wine.

We should have been boarding the lovely Rotterdam today for our 5th trans-Atlantic out of Barcelona, so maybe I'll make up a pitcher of sangria and drink it out of a water jug sized glass like they do on Las Ramblas to soothe the pain.  Sigh.

Prayers for all on the list, and even for those who don't think they need them.  We will raise our wine glasses to toast all who are celebrating as well.  Be safe, stay well!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 14

Good morning Rich. Thank you for an interesting Daily this morning.

I am making chicken and pasta tonight with hopefully some beautiful veggies from Farmer's Market. Love both quotes, equally amusing. 

Good morning sisters Ann and Deeni, Dailyites, and thanks to Roy for your prayers and celebrations. Jacqui you are an amazing gardener. You are an inspiration!

As for gaudy..

Funny Pictures, Jokes and Gifs / Animations: Girls in Strange Dresses Funny  Fashion Pictures | Funny dresses, Fashion, Funny fashion

I will be wearing something a tad less gaudy tonight. We are having a Zoom October fest tonight with my family who lives in San Diego. My sister bought all of us these pumpkin Tshirts that we will be wearing for the party. She also sent a lemon cake to celebrate my upcoming BD. 

Sweetest Day hails from all the way back in 1922 when a dozen of Cleveland’s candy companies banded together to make the day a little sweeter for some of the city’s most vulnerable people. they distributed more than 20,000 boxes of candy to “newsboys, orphans, old folks, and the poor.”

Blessings to all. Have a great weekend. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
add on
  • Like 17

32 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Rich. Thank you for an interesting Daily this morning.

I am making chicken and pasta tonight with hopefully some beautiful veggies from Farmer's Market. Love both quotes, equally amusing. 

Good morning sisters Ann and Deeni, Dailyites, and thanks to Roy for your prayers and celebrations. Jacqui you are an amazing gardener. You are an inspiration!

As for gaudy..

Funny Pictures, Jokes and Gifs / Animations: Girls in Strange Dresses Funny  Fashion Pictures | Funny dresses, Fashion, Funny fashion

I will be wearing something a tad less gaudy tonight. We are having a Zoom October fest tonight with my family who lives in San Diego. My sister bought all of us these pumpkin Tshirts that we will be wearing for the party. She also sent a lemon cake to celebrate my upcoming BD. 

Sweetest Day hails from all the way back in 1922 when a dozen of Cleveland’s candy companies banded together to make the day a little sweeter for some of the city’s most vulnerable people. they distributed more than 20,000 boxes of candy to “newsboys, orphans, old folks, and the poor.”

Blessings to all. Have a great weekend. 

Imam fairly certain that the Birthday Girl has to wear the ensemble in your pic tomorrow - on your big day!🙃 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone.   We are home from our long drive to Missouri and back.  We visited with my mother-in-law every morning and afternoon since we arrived there Tuesday.  We would leave her alone for her mealtimes (spent in her room instead of the dining room due to one elderly resident testing positive for COVID last Monday).  They do an excellent job of shielding the residents from this virus.  We would take our temp upon arrival, fill out a questionnaire on our health, put on a plastic smock over our clothes and wear a face mask while there.  We used the stairs instead of elevator as we usually do.  Mother-in-law was very happy to see a visitor, that's for sure!  Sometimes she was lucid and then would drift into subjects that she thought were true or had happened, but really hadn't.  We would move the conversation on to other things and show her photos of her great grandkids and talk about that.  Twice we were able to FaceTime with our two children which amazed Mother-in-Law and they were happy to get their eyes actually on their Gram.  Altogether, I'd say it was a very positive visit.  However, we have gotten word she is now having some pain and swelling in her leg so they are having to deal with that.  It could be her arthritis in her knee but might also be a blood clot so that is concerning.  

I missed reading my daily dose of the Daily this week!  Today's quotes and meal selection of the day sound great.  Maybe I should suggest the Lemon Garlic Shrimp to DH.  

I tried to read up a little on the missed Dailies before coming here and was so sorry to hear of @DeeniEncinitas's friend passing this week.  My sympathy to you, Denise, and your friend's family and other friends.  😔

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Altogether, I'd say it was a very positive visit.  However, we have gotten word she is now having some pain and swelling in her leg so they are having to deal with that. 

Glad that you are safely home and that your efforts were appreciated and satisfying. Sorry to hear your MIL is in pain. Hope it can be eased if not cured.

• Like 6

@Seasick Sailor Happy upcoming birthday 🙂 

@rafinmd  I am happy to say you can take my sister and her family off the Care list.  Both my sister and BIL tested negative for covid so everyone is comfortable they don’t have it.  She’s still unwell but it’s some other virus, thankfully (not that I want her sick).

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers and caring.  I am very thankful today ❤️ 

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

we have gotten word she is now having some pain and swelling in her leg so they are having to deal with that.  It could be her arthritis in her knee but might also be a blood clot so that is concerning.  

Oh, I’m sorry to hear that.  Hopefully, it is her arthritis and the pain & swelling can be alleviated quickly 🤞 🙏🏻 

Glad to hear the visits were positive 🙂 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kazu said:

@Seasick Sailor Happy upcoming birthday 🙂 

@rafinmd  I am happy to say you can take my sister and her family off the Care list.  Both my sister and BIL tested negative for covid so everyone is comfortable they don’t have it.  She’s still unwell but it’s some other virus, thankfully (not that I want her sick).

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers and caring.  I am very thankful today ❤️ 

Thank you Jacqui. Oh it's so great to hear all is going well with family. They've been in our daily prayers!

• Like 5