The Daily for Saturday Oct 17, 2020

richwmn

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Cheddar cheese gelato?🙃

Never heard of it. But with an ice cream maker, anything is possible!

(Somehow this makes me think of the presentation on Veendam of making ensamadas. I thought it so strange, then found some on the Lido the next day. Oh my gosh!😋 I have since made that recipe and taken them to work. 

• Like 2

We're getting ready to leave tomorrow for a short overnight trip to Leavenworth, a Bavarian town a few hours east of us.  It will be nice to have a change of scene even for a short time.  Probably their "Octoberfest" has been cancelled due to Covid this year, but there's always the cute shops to browse. [emoji846]  
Here’s some fall color from across the street. 

F2926C31-2E0B-4907-99A9-B583991243EC.thumb.jpeg.24055a9693d9023edf36620cb1b07e92.jpeg

Leavenworth is such a fun town. When we were in Germany in 2018 in my dh hometown in Bavaria the regional newspaper ran a full page article on Leavenworth. It was so neat to be able to explain that yes it was all true! More Bavarian than Bavaria!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We're getting ready to leave tomorrow for a short overnight trip to Leavenworth, a Bavarian town a few hours east of us.  It will be nice to have a change of scene even for a short time.  Probably their "Octoberfest" has been cancelled due to Covid this year, but there's always the cute shops to browse. 🙂  

Oktoberfest in Leavenworth, WA is officially cancelled due to COVID-19 this year. They are already selling tickets for 2021 events.

From the traffic on Highway 2 the past few weekends, you would think Oktoberfest was actually still happening.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, superoma said:

Leavenworth is such a fun town. When we were in Germany in 2018 in my dh hometown in Bavaria the regional newspaper ran a full page article on Leavenworth. It was so neat to be able to explain that yes it was all true! More Bavarian than Bavaria!

Wow, that's amazing! Yes, it is a fun town.  One year we did the sleigh ride in the winter (unfortunately we chose a year without much snow, lol!)  Would love to try again.  

Sent from my iPad using Forums

3 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Oktoberfest in Leavenworth, WA is officially cancelled due to COVID-19 this year. They are already selling tickets for 2021 events.

From the traffic on Highway 2 the past few weekends, you would think Oktoberfest was actually still happening.

Ok, thanks -- not at all surprised.  Not surprised either at the traffic.  Neighbors on each side of us have gone in the past week -- I think people are just itching to get out, and seeing the fall leaves is a plus too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Ok, thanks -- not at all surprised.  Not surprised either at the traffic.  Neighbors on each side of us have gone in the past week -- I think people are just itching to get out, and seeing the fall leaves is a plus too.

Here is some fall color at Lake Valhalla, just a short hike from Stevens Pass on the Pacific Crest Trail. Less crowded than Leavenworth, but no "little shoppes" to explore.

IMG_1668.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A quick check in to thank those on the thread. Love that it is pasta day and the meals sound delicious. Quotes are both accurate.

11 hours ago, kazu said:

The winds and rain have played with the foliage and we already had 10 bags of leaves but here is a glimpse of some colour for you:

There has been some good suggestions from the experts around here to not rake in order that the insects have a place to winter. I'm on it!

11 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Fall color is peaking in Northern Michigan.  It's beautiful, just too bad the snow has to follow 🙂

For sure! I am not a winter person.

9 hours ago, ger_77 said:

We should have been boarding the lovely Rotterdam today for our 5th trans-Atlantic out of Barcelona, so maybe I'll make up a pitcher of sangria and drink it out of a water jug sized glass like they do on Las Ramblas to soothe the pain.  Sigh.

I'm so sorry for all the people who are missing this trip. It's one I'm hoping to do in 2022. I think a nice water jug of sangria will help ease the pain of disappointment. 😉

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Altogether, I'd say it was a very positive visit.  However, we have gotten word she is now having some pain and swelling in her leg so they are having to deal with that.  It could be her arthritis in her knee but might also be a blood clot so that is concerning. 

I'm sorry that she is in pain. Hopefully, it is "just" arthritis. It sounds like you had a memorable few days, and that's a good thing!

7 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

IMG_5242.thumb.jpeg.e91be769fd52519c99f2b10739d13675.jpeg

Beautiful palm!

Yikes to all those who are still in the 90's and 100's. While I'm not looking forward to the snow, I don't think that I'd like those temps. My sister always travels to Walt Disney World in October (not this year, of cours), and she has always said it is still hot when she goes.

I took DH to his Church service tonight. I had to leave because my throat got dry and I started to cough....and cough.....and cough. That's always embarrassing, but in these days of COVID, people REALLY don't appreciate it. I ducked out and waited for him in the car where there was a cup of tea to help ease the coughing. My own church service is cancelled tomorrow because the minister has a cold...and is coughing. 😄 Cant get away from it!

Blessing to all. Prayers for those that need them, and cheers for the celebrations.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

There has been some good suggestions from the experts around here to not rake in order that the insects have a place to winter. I'm on it!

That’s true for a few leaves.  We have way too many.  Think 90 bags of leaves per year if they aren’t mulched.  I’m not kidding.  I count as I get tired of them - LOL.

With the number of leaves we have the lawn would be killed.  There’s always some left for the insects out front as the linden is the last tree to drop and often some of the leaves are frozen or buried under snow.  So we always have spring clean up.

Plus, out back is the dogs’ “bathroom”.  Too many leaves and it starts to get hard to find what you are looking for.  We like a clean “bathroom” 😉   

I don’t blame you for letting them lie.  We just have too many to pull it off especially with the big maple tree leaves.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I recorded an old episode of "Mighty Ships" a while ago and we watched it this afternoon.  It was on the Crystal Serenity, and the Captain was a Captain Evertson (or something like that);  it sounded so familiar.  Was he sometime with HAL?  @Copper10-8?

Fred Eversen was "the other" captain of the Amsterdam when Jonathan Mercer was on vacation. He did some of the long voyages but not the grand world. To my knowledge, he never worked for Crystal, poss. a similar sounding last name but a different captain. Hopefully, the "Crystal expert" here, Roy will pitch in 😉 

HAL Captain Fred Eversen #2.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

Just now, Vict0riann said:

Thanks, that's interesting.  I guess they move around to get the different experiences!

Don't believe who you saw on the telly with Crystal was HAL's Fred Eversen 😉 Bet ya Roy will know "his" Crystal captains 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Don't believe who you saw on the telly with Crystal was HAL's Fred Eversen 😉 Bet ya Roy will know "his" Crystal captains 

@rafinmd?  I seem to think there must have been a "t" in the name of the Captain I saw, so maybe it was just a similarity of names with the HAL Captain...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

@rafinmd?  I seem to think there must have been a "t" in the name of the Captain I saw, so maybe it was just a similarity of names with the HAL Captain...

Are you maybe thinking of Captain Van Eerten who was master on our Westerdam cruise?  Great captain 🙂 

• Like 1

Just now, kazu said:

Are you maybe thinking of Captain Van Eerten who was master on our Westerdam cruise?  Great captain 🙂 

No, not Captain "Silence on Deck" van Eerten!  (I've been hoping he may show up on Zuiderdam...)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

How bout this one, Ann?

https://www.theluxurycruisecompany.com/articles/article/meet-captain-glenn-edvardsen-from-crystal-cruises-381

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

No, not Captain "Silence on Deck" van Eerten!  (I've been hoping he may show up on Zuiderdam...)

Wouldn’t that be fabulous?  We can dream, can’t we 😉