Oh Canada! We really miss you

kangforpres

12 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@Mary229   Still wondering about what you meant earlier about things going well and just needing training.  A genuine question about what you meant?  

I traveled extensively through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee.  Everywhere I went people were following social distancing guidelines, cleanliness and masking where needed.  (Masks are not needed out of doors where distance can be maintained).  I saw only a handful of people not masking and I, being the generous type, assume it is because they have special needs.   

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@Mary229   Still wondering about what you meant earlier about things going well and just needing training.  A genuine question about what you meant?  

I am looking at hospitalization rates, job restart rates, school attendance rates and the real tell - hiring signs everywhere.   My niece visiting from California first remarked about the hiring signs. 

• Like 2

So Oh, I see you mean the economy.   Glad people are masking, really hope you can get this under control.   Our news was carrying info on hospitalization rates in Utah overwhelming them,  and being overcapacity!  

Edited by bennybear

11 minutes ago, bennybear said:

So Oh, I see you mean the economy.   Glad people are masking, really hope you can get this under control.   Our news was carrying info on hospitalization rates in Utah overwhelming them,  and being overcapacity!  

I also mean people are now accustomed to the advised procedures and are following them.   People adapt!   

27 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I also mean people are now accustomed to the advised procedures and are following them.   People adapt!   

They are?  That's news to me.  Our Governor has in recent days begged Ohioans to follow the advised procedures as Ohio's Covid rates have started to climb.  

What about the Mid-Western states like the Dakotas and Wisconsin?  The Covid issues are climbing there as well.  

Your statement that "people adapt" is correct, I think.  There are too many who have yet to "get the note" about what they need to do so that they can "adapt"!

41 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

They are?  That's news to me.  Our Governor has in recent days begged Ohioans to follow the advised procedures as Ohio's Covid rates have started to climb.  

What about the Mid-Western states like the Dakotas and Wisconsin?  The Covid issues are climbing there as well.  

Your statement that "people adapt" is correct, I think.  There are too many who have yet to "get the note" about what they need to do so that they can "adapt"!

I was truly surprised with the level of compliance.   I get out enough at home but did not know what to expect.   The coronavirus/COVID rates are very difficult to decipher.   The hospitalization utilization  rates are more significant.  We are, after all, primarily trying to prevent overloading the medical system.  I think the loftier goal of stopping a virus is tilting at windmills 

• Like 3

Add me to the crowd that misses Canada.  We vacation (every year) in Ontario where we spend a few days visiting wineries and buying lots of Canadian wines (there are plenty of decent wines made in Canada) and dining in some excellent restaurants  This year we had to cancel our annual trip and the family that owns the high end B&B we normally use actually closed her B&B and sold the place because of the loss of American business.  That being said, we cannot criticize the Canadian government for doing their best to protect their people.

As to the USA, we are a very diverse population with a inherent mistrust of anything government (this is part of our culture).  It is sad that so many of my fellow Americans refuse to take even the mildest precautions (such as wearing a mask when near other folks).  We also have a big problem (along with many other countries) with the anti-vaccine crowd who would even refuse a vaccine if it were 100% effective.  Every year we have 10s of thousands (and many more in bad flu years) who die of diseases that are easily prevented.  This drives crazy my friends who are in the Public Health sector.  Even if we do get a decent safe/effective COVID vaccine the virus will continue to be a problem for many years because too many refuse to get the vaccine and frustrate attempts to reach herd immunity (similar to what was achieved with Smallpox).

Hank

• Like 7

I do not believe that the border will be opened anytime soon.  Too much public pressure to keep it closed.

I believe that most Canadians are frightened by the the current covid statistics south of the border.  As are many other nations.  Not good for anyone.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Add me to the crowd that misses Canada.  We vacation (every year) in Ontario where we spend a few days visiting wineries and buying lots of Canadian wines (there are plenty of decent wines made in Canada) and dining in some excellent restaurants  This year we had to cancel our annual trip and the family that owns the high end B&B we normally use actually closed her B&B and sold the place because of the loss of American business.  That being said, we cannot criticize the Canadian government for doing their best to protect their people.

As to the USA, we are a very diverse population with a inherent mistrust of anything government (this is part of our culture).  It is sad that so many of my fellow Americans refuse to take even the mildest precautions (such as wearing a mask when near other folks).  We also have a big problem (along with many other countries) with the anti-vaccine crowd who would even refuse a vaccine if it were 100% effective.  Every year we have 10s of thousands (and many more in bad flu years) who die of diseases that are easily prevented.  This drives crazy my friends who are in the Public Health sector.  Even if we do get a decent safe/effective COVID vaccine the virus will continue to be a problem for many years because too many refuse to get the vaccine and frustrate attempts to reach herd immunity (similar to what was achieved with Smallpox).

Hank

The anti-vaccine people are driving me to distraction.  I am ok with their personal choice but I do detest, I know that is a strong word, to dissuade others.    In my opinion it is good that the various governments are trying different approaches, it is how we learn.  I hope to see my Canadian friends in Arizona 2021 winter but I don't think it will happen

We live in a retirement area.   Many of our neighbours vacation in the winter or are snowbirds.  All sorts of destinations.  Mexico, Arizona, Hawaii, Thailand,etc.    We have spoken to a number of them.  Only one couple that we know of are tentatively planning to travel.  They spend two months in Maui each winter.   The rest, to our knowledge, are remaining home.  Including us.   Even our expat friends  with a home in Tucson are not going back as they had originally planned.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The anti-vaccine people are driving me to distraction.  I am ok with their personal choice but I do detest, I know that is a strong word, to dissuade others.    In my opinion it is good that the various governments are trying different approaches, it is how we learn.  I hope to see my Canadian friends in Arizona 2021 winter but I don't think it will happen

We live in Puerto Vallarta for much of the winter and look forward to returning despite their issues with COVID.  Puerto Vallarta has a very heavy Canadian presence (I think it is close to 50-50 with we Americans) and we do hope the Canadians can return this winter.   Many of us (Americans and Canadians) have to deal with health insurance issues since lots of policies will not provide COVID coverage.  The last time I looked there were at least two American companies selling travel medical policies that INCLUDE full coverage for COVID, but those policies are not available to Canadian residents.

The Medical Insurance issue might be a big problem for most International travel as countries begin to open up for tourism.  Many policies have Exclusions for Pandemics and some specifically Exclude coverage for countries for which the CDC or State Department has issued health warnings.  

Hank

• Like 1

I have been told, by those who are shopping,  that there are four carriers in Canada who offer out of country medical/evac coverage that includes covid.

A number of our airline./vacation firms appear to be including this coverage when one buys vacation AI packages (one week, two week etc)  to Mexico, Cuba, DR, etc.  I have no idea how comprehensive the coverage is.   Currently this would entail two weeks of self isolation on return. OK for us who are retired, not great for those with jobs, children, committments, etc.

No idea which ones they are or if there is any restriction on what countries are excluding or on length of coverage.

Edited by iancal

The latest Canadian poll regarding vaccines does not demonstrate strong support, support is down quite a bit from July.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7395956/canadians-coronavirus-vaccine-mandatory-poll/

54% of those polled indicated the vaccine should be voluntary.

Safety and side effects apparently are the reason for the 20% decline since May.

16 minutes ago, iancal said:

We have a standard 60 day out of country group plan with Manulife.  I think that I will check to see IF we are covered....just in case we get cabin fever and decide on Panama or some other land based trip.

Ours is a group plan with Johnson Insurance.  You can check out the wording of the amended Exclusions & Limitations sent recently to group members.  New policies beginning in 2021 will have same.

ENGLISH Model B endorsement (Oct 2, 2020).pdf

• Like 1

Just an update.  Canada has extended the closure of the border until the end of November.  I suspect that will continue until there is confidence that covid is under control south of the border and we are certain it is under control here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

The latest Canadian poll regarding vaccines does not demonstrate strong support, support is down quite a bit from July.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7395956/canadians-coronavirus-vaccine-mandatory-poll/

54% of those polled indicated the vaccine should be voluntary.

Safety and side effects apparently are the reason for the 20% decline since May.

The story does say that a relatively high (no number assigned) percentage of Canadians would get the vaccine when available.

7 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Ours is a group plan with Johnson Insurance.  You can check out the wording of the amended Exclusions & Limitations sent recently to group members.  New policies beginning in 2021 will have same.

ENGLISH Model B endorsement (Oct 2, 2020).pdf 147.3 kB · 5 downloads

Thanks.  I have reviewed our group site.  I sent a written query to Manulife today. In the past they have been very responsive to inquires.  No doubt they have had several.   Not currently planning anything but by early Feb I think cabin fever will have set in. Perhaps a last minute trip somewhere. 

Two weeks of self isolation is a doddle for us since we can prepare for it prior to departing.   Chances are we will not risk it but if we do Panama looks like a good option.  We have friends there.  Panama's approach to covid has been straight out of the book.  No political BS.

Edited by iancal

2 minutes ago, iancal said:

Thanks.  I have reviewed our group site.  I sent a written query to Manulife today. In the past they have been very responsive to inquires.  No doubt they have had several.   Not currently planning anything but by early Feb I think cabin fever will have set it. Perhaps a last minute trip somewhere.   Two weeks of self isolation is a doddle for us since we can prepare for it prior to departing.  We would limit ourselves to direct flights only. 

I believe you’re in YYC so you can get out of Calgary without having to make connections.  Here in YOW we have to connect (usually YYZ or YUL) to flee.  Fortunately, I’ll have plenty to do in February; shovelling snow, chopping firewood, running the trap lines and won’t have time to think about locations where the temperature is above freezing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

That being said, we cannot criticize the Canadian government for doing their best to protect their people.

I agree.  Their leaders have been consistently "on message".  

As to the USA, we are a very diverse population with a inherent mistrust of anything government (this is part of our culture). 

Part of our history?  Yes.   It's a sorry tale in my Senior years to say that such mistrust continues to be warranted.  Need I list the reasons?  

Even if we do get a decent safe/effective COVID vaccine the virus will continue to be a problem for many years because too many refuse to get the vaccine and frustrate attempts to reach herd immunity (similar to what was achieved with Smallpox).

As a retired science educator, I am embarrassed to agree with you.  In the years beginning in the late 1990's--maybe earlier--a "curriculum movement" in science education began that has provided the United States with millions of citizens poorly educated in the health sciences and in other scientific disciplines that require "critical thinking" and reflecion.  "Learning whatever in order to pass a government mandated test".  That was of prime importance.  

Are the "chickens coming home to roost" at this point in time because of decisions by whomever/whatever that were made decades ago?    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

ENGLISH Model B endorsement (Oct 2, 2020).pdf 147.3 kB · 8 downloads

I hate insurance double speak!   Am I to assume there is no coverage or is the exclusion excluded?  

5 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I hate insurance double speak!   Am I to assume there is no coverage or is the exclusion excluded?  

The excluded is excluded!  Medical claims/assistance related to COVID-19 are now permitted.  Note that travel cancellation/interruption issues are NOT insured due to Canadian government advisory against travel outside of Canada.

6 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The excluded is excluded!  Medical claims/assistance related to COVID-19 are now permitted.  Note that travel cancellation/interruption issues are NOT insured due to Canadian government advisory against travel outside of Canada.

The problem is if you intend to fly there are limited options and a high probability of flight cancellations