AFL Grand Final at The Gabba tickets

I couldn't help sharing our excitement as I was on this site when the tickets were allocated.  Tickets sold out in 30 mins.  

Maybe Victorians could suggest a team for my girls to follow.  I know locals here are disappointed about Lions loss.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Richmond and Geelong 

The Tiger v The Cats? I don't really know all the nicknames of AFL teams.

Kochie was not a happy little Vegemite on Sunrise this morning, he being President of Port Adelaide who got wiped out.

I hope they enjoy the game Marion. It is rather exciting to go to an AFL GF. It will be so different this year being at the Gabba, with a crowd less than a third of the MCG and also it being at night.

My husband reminded me this morning that I wouldn't have to be up early on Saturday morning. It took me a moment to realise he was referring to when the GF is at the G and my son and I haven't been lucky in the Melbourne Cricket Club Members' Reserve ballot for seats so we arrive at the ground to line up for an unreserved seat between 5am and 6am. 

As far as team to support, I don't particularly like either team but as Richmond have won the two premiership two out of the past three seasons, I think it will have to be Geelong for me. Interestingly I almost prefer when at the GF to be neutral and just take in all the atmosphere. 

Leigh

According to Wikipedia:

Richmond:   At first the team wore blue guernseys and caps with yellow and black stripes in the style of the Richmond Cricket Club. The football club soon adopted yellow and black as its official colours. The team was variously called the "Richmondites", the "Wasps" or, most commonly, the "Tigers".

Geelong:  The club's nickname was first used in 1923 after a run of losses prompted a local cartoonist to suggest that the club needed a black cat to bring it good luck. 

Maybe true, maybe not.

20 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks everyone.  Does anyone know the history of The Tiger and The Cats animal names for clubs?

I would say Tigers is from the colour of the club jumper yellow and black. I found this about Geelong's nickname of the Cats -

'The club's nickname was first used in 1923 after a run of losses prompted a local cartoonist to suggest that the club needed a black cat to bring it good luck. The club's official team song and anthem is "We Are Geelong".'

This is one of the original badges from 1923 -

A Black Cat badge made in 1923.

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I couldn't help sharing our excitement as I was on this site when the tickets were allocated.  Tickets sold out in 30 mins.  

Maybe Victorians could suggest a team for my girls to follow.  I know locals here are disappointed about Lions loss.  

These teams have met twice before in a GF in 1931 and 1967 for one win each - first Geelong then Richmond.

My grandkids follow the Cats so will be following them. Contrasting styles of play - Richmond a chaotic movement of the ball forward in a swarm whereas Geelong play a more structured precision game.

A real toss up as to the result but hope you enjoy and the rain stays away.

• Like 1

MM Downunder may I urge you to barrick for the Tigers?  My darling Dad was a Richmond fan through and through.  My daughter and S-I-L are Richmond tragics and when No. 1 granddaughter was all of 2-1/2 years old she sang the Richmond theme song for me at the top of her voice including  the last section .... "we're strong and we're bold, we're from tiger ... LELLO & BLACK ... we're from Tigerland."  My Dad would have loved that.  LOL it would have brought tears to his eyes.

Here is the club song if you're interested .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxakg-EgCkk

I also had the very unexpected experience back in the late '70s of meeting "Captain Blood" (Bob Dyer) - the most famous and revered of Richmond players and my Dad's idol.  I was meeting DH and friends at the Espy Hotel in St. Kilda (a bit of a rough pub back in the day) before attending a concert at the Palais Theatre.  I walked in by myself, ordered a beer at the bar then went and sat down.  He came over and asked if I was OK?  A young female alone back in those day when men were gentlemen.  I said yes, thank you.   I'm meeting friends and oh, here they come.  Thank you *cough* Mr Dyer for being so gracious.  He smiled and bowed and said "My pleasure.  Just making sure you're OK." 

14 hours ago, LC1950 said:

MM Downunder may I urge you to barrick for the Tigers?  My darling Dad was a Richmond fan through and through.  My daughter and S-I-L are Richmond tragics and when No. 1 granddaughter was all of 2-1/2 years old she sang the Richmond theme song for me at the top of her voice including  the last section .... "we're strong and we're bold, we're from tiger ... LELLO & BLACK ... we're from Tigerland."  My Dad would have loved that.  LOL it would have brought tears to his eyes.

Here is the club song if you're interested .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxakg-EgCkk

I also had the very unexpected experience back in the late '70s of meeting "Captain Blood" (Bob Dyer) - the most famous and revered of Richmond players and my Dad's idol.  I was meeting DH and friends at the Espy Hotel in St. Kilda (a bit of a rough pub back in the day) before attending a concert at the Palais Theatre.  I walked in by myself, ordered a beer at the bar then went and sat down.  He came over and asked if I was OK?  A young female alone back in those day when men were gentlemen.  I said yes, thank you.   I'm meeting friends and oh, here they come.  Thank you *cough* Mr Dyer for being so gracious.  He smiled and bowed and said "My pleasure.  Just making sure you're OK." 

How could I not barrack for the Tigers, after your passionate case for their support!  I played their song to get in to the spirit.  

I enjoyed hearing of your experience with a revered Richmond player, who was your dad's idol.  It reminded me of all the men who were gentlemen, in my youth.  The last gentleman I can recall was Ron Clarke, retired Lord Mayor of the Gold Coast.  He always tofted his hat as we passed on our walks.

12 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Thank you MMDown Under.  Appreciate your confidence.  Now I'm hoping that they play at the top of their game for you.  As my Dad would have said "Go Tigers!  Eat 'em alive"

I hope it is a good game and there is no thunderstorm to spoil the game.  Being a tennis fan, presentation of the Cup to the winners by Ash Barty, if Richmond wins, was an extra bonus!

On 10/21/2020 at 10:43 AM, LC1950 said:

Thank you MMDown Under.  Appreciate your confidence.  Now I'm hoping that they play at the top of their game for you.  As my Dad would have said "Go Tigers!  Eat 'em alive"

Thinking of you and  your dad as the pregame entertainment is on.  Felt sad for Melbourne when the singer sung that famous song (Up There Gazale ?) from mid field in an empty MSG in Melbourne.  I just hope it is a good game for players and spectators.  

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thinking of you and  your dad as the pregame entertainment is on.  Felt sad for Melbourne when the singer sung that famous song (Up There Gazale ?) from mid field in an empty MSG in Melbourne.  I just hope it is a good game for players and spectators.  

What time is the first over bowled? I might watch it if nothing else on, I could learn something. Go the Tigers !!!

They could have had it at MCG, no Covid in them there parts.

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

What time is the first over bowled? I might watch it if nothing else on, I could learn something. Go the Tigers !!!

Right now on Channel 7.  Pre game entertainment was good, but finished.  About to start game now. Playing theme song Tigerland for Richmond.  

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 1

Go the Tigers is the saying of the day down here.  Thanks for the updates MMDown Under, hope you're singing along with the theme song.  Did Facetime with the grandies this afternoon and they were both singing and dancing and doing "interpretive dance" with their Richmond scarves.  The baby (2 years old) was doing Tiger roaring impersonations for me - I hope she has a voice tomorrow! - and there is so much excitement and anticipation in the  family. 

Fingers crossed they play well and it's a great game.  Best chookas to all the players.

And Uncle Les, get your act together, it's AFL NOT cricket old chap, righteo old bean?  May the best team win ... and it won't go on for days, unlike test matches. 🙄

Edited by LC1950

2 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Go the Tigers is the saying of the day down here.  Thanks for the updates MMDown Under, hope you're singing along with the theme song.  Did Facetime with the grandies this afternoon and they were both singing and dancing and doing "interpretive dance" with their Richmond scarves.  The baby (2 years old) was doing Tiger roaring impersonations for me - I hope she has a voice tomorrow! - and there is so much excitement and anticipation in the  family. 

Fingers crossed they play well and it's a great game.  Best chookas to all the players.

And Uncle Les, get your act together, it's AFL NOT cricket old chap, righteo old bean?  May the best team win ... and it won't go on for days, unlike test matches. 🙄

Depends where ‘here’ is. Not everyone is supporting Richmond in Victoria. Go Cats is very popular too.

Leigh

8 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

You can always watch the 50 over, one dayers or 20/20. lol.  Howzaaaaat !   Thank goodness the AFL Umpires got rid of those silly long white coats and white Trilby hats, they looked  liked Butchers.🤣

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Right now on Channel 7.  Pre game entertainment was good, but finished.  About to start game now. Playing theme song Tigerland for Richmond.  

The pre game entertainment was excellent Marion, much better than some I have seen at the GF over the years, Sheppard on now who are fantastic.

Leigh

Possum, "here" is just my close family LOL.  Just responding to MMDown Under's lovely posts, OK?

Yep Uncle Les, those umpires always looked like undertakers to me.

Cut me some slack here ... I don't follow sport at all!  But we've been hit by a "not very close" family tornado 2 days ago.  DH's sister had a fall and broke a hip on Thursday.  Her husband has dementia ... quite far gone.  She was taken to hospital and we were the only people she could call on.  Consequently we've had to take her husband to stay with us because their children have moved as far away from them (!!!) as they could get ... we've never had experience with dementia type people and it's very hard for us and this couple have never been what you'd call 'close family'.  He is walking through the house all night, turning lights on and off and trying to open the front door to go wandering.  It's proving very difficult for us.  And it's gotten worse today.  Sorry to vent.

Anyhow, that's our problem and I was just responding to dear MMDown Under's lovely support for our team "here".

I'll shut up now, it's our problem and no-one else's.  Have a great night and I hope your team wins.

P.S.  We REALLY need a cruise right now! LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Possum, "here" is just my close family LOL.  Just responding to MMDown Under's lovely posts, OK?

Yep Uncle Les, tose umpires always looked like undertakers to me.

Cut me some slack here ... I don't follow sport at all!  But we've been hit by a "not very close" family tornado 2 days ago.  DH's sister had a fall and broke a hip on Thursday.  Her husband has dementia ... quite far gone.  She was taken to hospital and we were the only people she could call on.  Consequently we've had to take her husband to stay with us because their children have moved as far away from them (!!!) as they could get ... we've never had experience with dementia type people and it's very hard for us and this couple have never been what you'd call 'close family'.  He is walking through the house all night, turning lights on and off and trying to open the front door to go wandering.  It's proving very difficult for us.  And it's gotten worse today.  Sorry to vent.

Anyhow, that's our problem and I was just responding to dear MMDown Under's lovely support for our team "here".

I'll shut up now, it's our problem and no-one else's.  Have a great night and I hope your team wins.

P.S.  We REALLY need a cruise right now! LOL

You will certainly need some respite. How long will you have to look after your brother in law? It sounds as if he needs more help than what you can or should have to provide. I don't envy you. My MIL had dementia but had gone into aged care before she developed it. When we would visit. She would talk about being on holiday and then ask when we were taking her home. It was heart breaking.

Take care.

Leigh

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Cazaly Marion! He was a famous player for South Melbourne (Swans) and St Kilda between 1911 and 1927. He was evidently a high marking player and took one handed marks.

Roy_Cazaly_mark.jpg

Leigh