The Daily for Tuesday Oct 20, 2020

richwmn

Good morning, all! You had me at Brandied Fruit Day. I also love the quote, and the meal suggestion. We don’t have any lobster, but there are some scallops and some left over chanterelles that could elevate Mac n’ cheese to new heights. And a Mai Tai would be nice, especially on a patio watching the sun set over the ocean with the gentle music of a bamboo forest in a breeze coming from behind me. Oh well, not this year, but it will happen again!

• Like 7

I'll take the lobster mac and cheese!!!! Love it. But tonight it will be pollock with sauteed mushroom and spinach. Need to clear out the frig.

We have a small forest fire near Silverton to add to Colorado's fire problems, but supposedly some moisture is on the way - 4 days out!!! It can not get here soon enough. Temps are due to drop sharply on Friday but it is the rain/snow that we need.

Susan

• Like 5

Good morning and thank you Rich and Roy.   That was quite the party!  

@Copper10-8  love the waiter and water glass cartoon!  So true!  

@Cruising-alongLeavenworth is so pretty.   My aunt has some land near there, but it suffered in the fire a few years ago.

mac and lobster sounds great!  But I’m saving my lobster for a special occasion! 

We are on our third snowfall with more forecast! Eek!  But at least we have had some lovely visitors, snow geese and tundra swans😍image.thumb.jpeg.14891f53014b9fc8b87d23a4ff9b7988.jpeg

E060DA05-F1F0-4954-B41E-5814980076C9.jpeg

8ED9BA21-DC46-4A08-ABAD-D28EBBE0CFA6.jpeg

C970293B-0B2E-4823-8920-51230AD56CDA.jpeg

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thank you Rich and Roy.   That was quite the party!  

@Copper10-8  love the waiter and water glass cartoon!  So true!  

@Cruising-alongLeavenworth is so pretty.   My aunt has some land near there, but it suffered in the fire a few years ago.

mac and lobster sounds great!  But I’m saving my lobster for a special occasion! 

We are on our third snowfall with more forecast! Eek!  But at least we have had some lovely visitors, snow geese and tundra swans😍image.thumb.jpeg.14891f53014b9fc8b87d23a4ff9b7988.jpeg

Your pictures are breathtaking bennybear!!

Denise😊

• Like 5

Great news from this corner of the world.  Matt and Laura have been cleared to return to work due to negative COVID tests.  Prayers answered.  This is definitely a celebration, socially distanced of course.

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, dfish said:

Great news from this corner of the world.  Matt and Laura have been cleared to return to work due to negative COVID tests.  Prayers answered.  This is definitely a celebration, socially distanced of course.

That is GREAT news, indeed 😄 🥂 

BB950D81-AAB6-401A-B359-54231ADE8BF3.gif.c678641b6b57cfc3f1cadccb98121a98.gif

• Like 7

Prayers for those in need of care and comfort. Cheers to those celebrating. We rejoiced a day ago when a day that started as a cold, stormy harbinger of winter ended as a lovely reflection of autumn's beauty. Till we cruise again, may we all find beauty where life find us...

IMG_20201018_174619495_HDR.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

When I last posted on my 2003 trip I had just finished a very frustrating journey from London to Inverness delayed almost 12 hours by a combination of labour and equipment problems.  I will digress a bit.  On that trip I traveled much lighter than I do now and among other things didn't carry a laptop.  All my emails were sent either from my hotels or internet cafes, and I don't think I ever attached a photo to an email.  The data on my photos isn't very accurate but I'll place them as accurately as I can.

I only had a couple of hours in Inverness the morning (April 2) I left for Edinburgh and the trip was under 4 hours.  I had 2 nights in Edinburgh, and walked the Royal Mile: wrld1060.thumb.jpg.80c7a637f1604667883ab65ce7b70767.jpg

I also took a tour of the former Royal Yacht, Britannia:

wrld1140.thumb.jpg.2c165b14df9dddb2ace3892475d48fbe.jpg

wrld1130.thumb.jpg.d47dc008031886194edef0e582722848.jpg

I took on other side trip in my 1 1/2 days in Edinburgh.  My father grew up in Dundee, Quebec and it was a short train ride to get a look at it's namesake in Scotland

wrld1010.thumb.jpg.7dd31919c16bcf2a55de093a45f93249.jpg

"

Date: Thursday, April 03, 2003 3:53 PM

Things have been a bit strange.  My overnight train to Scotland was cancelled due to a labor dispute, leaving me spend all day Tuesday in travel rather than sightseeing.  As a result, I missed Loch Ness and got only the brefiest of views of Inverness.  The trip through Northern Scotland was scenic, but not a lot more so than several sections of North America.

Yesterday was also largely a planned travel day, but today was time for a lot of sightseeing in Edinburgh, mostly along the Royal Mile and the Royal Yacht Britannia."

Roy

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all! 
Love the jokes today, stay warm up in the frozen tundra @ger_77 and @StLouisCruisers I’m happy to hear your MIL is back to her usual feisty self. 

We’re back home to the “real world” but it was nice to get away. In a couple days our lows at night will dip into the 20’s (No snow though!) so reality is setting in!

Yesterday it was sunny and warm in Leavenworth, it was lovely to just sit in the sun and people-watch. Here are some last photos. 

EBAFFF91-FB48-4DA4-86A2-A7F268277E0F.jpeg

7396B1BC-ED22-4E18-BFD1-FF873C35F609.jpeg

3BF77953-F400-45FC-99BE-046B0780D1D6.jpeg

AD907D80-B431-4E4D-B455-DF5ADF91557B.jpeg

Man I've always wanted to visit Leavenworth. Sprichst du Deutsch? 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

When I last posted on my 2003 trip I had just finished a very frustrating journey from London to Inverness delayed almost 12 hours by a combination of labour and equipment problems.  I will digress a bit.  On that trip I traveled much lighter than I do now and among other things didn't carry a laptop.  All my emails were sent either from my hotels or internet cafes, and I don't think I ever attached a photo to an email.  The data on my photos isn't very accurate but I'll place them as accurately as I can.

I only had a couple of hours in Inverness the morning (April 2) I left for Edinburgh and the trip was under 4 hours.  I had 2 nights in Edinburgh, and walked the Royal Mile: wrld1060.thumb.jpg.80c7a637f1604667883ab65ce7b70767.jpg

I also took a tour of the former Royal Yacht, Britannia:

wrld1140.thumb.jpg.2c165b14df9dddb2ace3892475d48fbe.jpg

wrld1130.thumb.jpg.d47dc008031886194edef0e582722848.jpg

I took on other side trip in my 1 1/2 days in Edinburgh.  My father grew up in Dundee, Quebec and it was a short train ride to get a look at it's namesake in Scotland

wrld1010.thumb.jpg.7dd31919c16bcf2a55de093a45f93249.jpg

"

Date: Thursday, April 03, 2003 3:53 PM

Things have been a bit strange.  My overnight train to Scotland was cancelled due to a labor dispute, leaving me spend all day Tuesday in travel rather than sightseeing.  As a result, I missed Loch Ness and got only the brefiest of views of Inverness.  The trip through Northern Scotland was scenic, but not a lot more so than several sections of North America.

Yesterday was also largely a planned travel day, but today was time for a lot of sightseeing in Edinburgh, mostly along the Royal Mile and the Royal Yacht Britannia."

Roy

Roy!! Thanks. I really looking forward to this journey! I so believe in what you said about back then in 2003! I remember the Internet cafes and email at the hotel old computers LOL! And the labor disputes!! OMGOSH I also can relate to that many times over! The photos of Royal Mile in Edinburgh and The Royal Yacht are nice. Glad you had a lot of time there!!

Appreciate your photo of Dundee Scotland for your dad too!

Denise😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mickb said:

Westerdam is not off Torquay today, she left for Southampton for stores etc yesterday afternoon.

For the other 3 ships in your area it was their maiden call in Suthampton.  I wonder if it will be for Westerdam also.

Roy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

For the other 3 ships in your area it was their maiden call in Suthampton.  I wonder if it will be for Westerdam also.

Roy

Like the others, Westerdam visited Southampton prior to going to Torquay, so she has at least visited then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Like the others, Westerdam visited Southampton prior to going to Torquay, so she has at least visited then.

I had forgotten that.  It was September 23.  She was the first of the four at Shouthampton.

Roy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Woo Hoo!🎉

• Like 5

Thank you Rich and Roy! When I saw the brandied fruit, I thought of the Christmas cake that my mom would make late October,/early November. Each of us got to stir the fruit into the mixture, making a wish as we did so. ❤️ My second thought was some drink that we made, marinating the fruit. Yum. I'm going to try the recipe that @ger_77 found.

I really like the quote. 👍

13 hours ago, ski ww said:

Love the lobster, skip the Mac & cheese.

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

Your pictures are glorious, @bennybear. I always check out the tundra swans in the spring (they stop about 20 minutes from here), but never think/hear about them in the fall.

5 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Prayers for those in need of care and comfort. Cheers to those celebrating. We rejoiced a day ago when a day that started as a cold, stormy harbinger of winter ended as a lovely reflection of autumn's beauty. Till we cruise again, may we all find beauty where life find us...

IMG_20201018_174619495_HDR.jpg

This is breathtaking, @HAL Sailer. I love the reflections in the water.

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I found the recipe; I'm making my grocery list right now!

https://www.food.com/recipe/friendship-brandy-fruit-starter-203832

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Sounds great, Gerry! I think I'll give it a shot.

Blessings to all!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 4