2/2022 Freedom canceled - replaced with Explorer

maggieq

Just received an email that our 2/6/2022 cruise on the Freedom is now canceled and we can go on Explorer. Sorry but not even close to a win win.  I was so happy to go back on freedom class especially after the updates. 

Where will the freedom be?

thanks!

5 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Just received an email that our 2/6/2022 cruise on the Freedom is now canceled and we can go on Explorer. Sorry but not even close to a win win.  I was so happy to go back on freedom class especially after the updates. 

Where will the freedom be?

thanks!

Miami sailing the 3/4 night itineraries 

I got the same email and am so bummed!  We got an amazing deal on our cruise.  So yes, we have the option to cancel, which is great, but it will cost so much more to book another cruise. So we either go and deal with it, or get the money back and move on.

What would you guys do in this case?  I don't think Freedom and Explorer compare at all and prefer not to go on an outdated ship.  I did so much planning before picking this cruise:(

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zeppgirl said:

What would you guys do in this case?  I don't think Freedom and Explorer compare at all and prefer not to go on an outdated ship.  I did so much planning before picking this cruise:(

They really aren't that much different.  We were on a Freedom B2B2B in January 2022.  Not bothered much about moving to Explorer, but I hope they keep us in the same cabin for all 3 weeks when they do the change.  Probably won't do much good but I may call tomorrow.

Edited by bouhunter

Just now, bouhunter said:

They really aren't that much different.  We were on a Freedom B2B2B in January.  Not bothered much about moving to Explorer, but I hope they keep us in the same cabin when they do the change.  Probably won't do much good but I may call tomorrow.

Just read that the Explorer itineraries are up for sale even before moving people over, unless they removed them from inventory. 

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Just read that the Explorer itineraries are up for sale even before moving people over, unless they removed them from inventory. 

That's another issue. Not sure our room will even be available. And we were going with 8 or so other families, so a lot hinges on availability.

• Like 1

Looking at the cruise now, we had connecting interior promenade rooms and I see ONE room available. So any idea what they do in this case?  I can call and make sure it's not due to category change or something, but that sucks...

Just now, zeppgirl said:

Looking at the cruise now, we had connecting interior promenade rooms and I see ONE room available. So any idea what they do in this case?  I can call and make sure it's not due to category change or something, but that sucks...

They may have already taken the appropriate rooms out of inventory to move you to. I can’t imagine they have all sold in the last 30 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

WTH.  That makes no sense, unless they'd rather sell them at a higher cost and screw the existing Freedom customers.

6 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

WTH.  That makes no sense, unless they'd rather sell them at a higher cost and screw the existing Freedom customers.

They did it to us on Adventure when they moved us to Jewel.  

going from 12 Owners suites to 5 And similar numbers for GS and JS caused problems and then they put them on sale before moving people...crazy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

going from 12 Owners suites to 5 And similar numbers for GS and JS caused problems and then they put them on sale before moving people...crazy 

Our Jewel Oct 2021 med cruise was cancelled (originally Oct 2020).  At least we got the refund quick.  Not sure I understand why they're making all these changes, as if covid hasn't messed things up enough already.  Their phone rep's have to be getting really, really tired of dealing with all this.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Luckily we had a great TA who stayed on top of things for our group.

• Like 2

Ok so a whole lot of non-information.

Called RC and they said they are unable to look at inventory currently, that it will take a day or two.  Then told I should call my travel agent anyway (Costco) to let them know so they can call me at some point.

I called Costco and was told that if the room is available, it should automatically move me to a similar room.  But she didn't think they would be able to look at inventory any time soon and suggested I call back in 2 weeks. Told her that the email made things easier if we knew by Oct. 30th, so they she told me to check back in 1 week. But she said normally we should be able to get the same type of room and in a similar location.  So we will see. 

9 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Our Jewel Oct 2021 med cruise was cancelled (originally Oct 2020).  At least we got the refund quick.  Not sure I understand why they're making all these changes, as if covid hasn't messed things up enough already.  Their phone rep's have to be getting really, really tired of dealing with all this.

In a word - money

I'm betting a lot, like the majority, of bookings on these changed sailings are L&S at attractive prices. Reports are most sailings have gone up in price by large %'s. They're betting on cancellations and being able to resell higher.

What they're actually doing is destroying any incentive to book +/- 6 months out.

10 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

In a word - money

I'm betting a lot, like the majority, of bookings on these changed sailings are L&S at attractive prices. Reports are most sailings have gone up in price by large %'s. They're betting on cancellations and being able to resell higher.

What they're actually doing is destroying any incentive to book +/- 6 months out.

It’s about money but not for the reasons you gave. 

They are moving capacity out of San Juan which may be a harder sell than a Florida once things resume.  Flights could also be more difficult to San Juan.  Mariner and Navigator have done extremely well doing the short itineraries and they are looking to increase their capacity in that area.  

• Thanks 1

My move from Freedom to Explorer B2B  March 20 & March 27th aren't showing yet. I'm just "OK" with the change and am hoping I get the same OS for both and the port schedule rotates week to week. Too bad the EX missed her drydock..hasn't been updated since 2015 I believe. And just a quick look at the week of March 6th itinerary doesn't look like either of the ones we had originally booked...Yikes !!!!

38 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It’s about money but not for the reasons you gave. 

They are moving capacity out of San Juan which may be a harder sell than a Florida once things resume.  Flights could also be more difficult to San Juan.  Mariner and Navigator have done extremely well doing the short itineraries and they are looking to increase their capacity in that area.  

I understand that point but if that was purely the case why switch itineraries completely?

Surely Explorer can sail the same ports as the Freedom dates it's replacing. Same for Radiance doing the ABC itinerary it's replacing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

My move from Freedom to Explorer B2B  March 20 & March 27th aren't showing yet. I'm just "OK" with the change and am hoping I get the same OS for both and the port schedule rotates week to week. Too bad the EX missed her drydock..hasn't been updated since 2015 I believe. And just a quick look at the week of March 6th itinerary doesn't look like either of the ones we had originally booked...Yikes !!!!

I hate to say this but do you think that there is a possibility that those missing weeks will be a drydock for EX.  It would seem odd to take her out of service in March but it’s just as odd that all the itineraries didn’t load. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach