ALL CRUISES FOR 2020/21 COULD BE CANCELLED FOR RE-SET CRUISE SHIP NEWS

4774Papa

Cruise ship news today has cruise lines looking at the possibility of having to cancel all of their sailings out of North America for 2020 and 2021 because they could be sailing at only 30% to 40% occupancy with about 5% of their fleets to start according to a Wall Street analyst. The cruise lines would then re-schedule their itineraries for cruises they could actually deliver on and notify all of their customers when they can take their delayed cruises. There are millions of customers who have booked their cruises from as far back as 2018 for 2020 and 2021 departures that will not be able to get their cruise holiday because the cruise lines know that they will only start sailing with a small portion of their ships with a very restricted occupancy load. If the US Department of Justice steps in the cruise lines could be forced to offer massive refunds to cruise passengers for all cruises booked for 2021 and even 2022. #cruiseshipnews #cruiselinenews #travellingwithbruce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42t-zQad4wQ

I don't see how the cruise lines can survive operating at 30% or 40% through 2021.

I fully expect that the 1st qtr will be cancelled and new shorter itineraries for 2-3 ships will be announced.  Hoping 2nd qtr will have another 1-2 ships sailing.  
At this point we are cancelling our Feb bookings and getting a refund of the deposit.  Hopeful for the 2nd qtr.

Edited by jelayne

51 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I’ve stopped watching that guys videos - he’s a fearmongering sensationalist and loves to take things out of context and spin it as YouTube click-bait. 

if such an article appears in a reputable cruise line reporting source then I will pay attention.

Totally agree, Bruce is over the top, but keep in mind he does it to get hits to his YouTube page, i.e. $$$$.  Don't wate my time on him anymore.  Many of the YouTube cruise experts, Don Family Vacations, La Lida Loca, Bruce...do yourself a favor and don't waste your time.  You click on their nonsense, they make $$$$.  Much prefer to get my informstion from actual cruisers....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I’ve stopped watching that guys videos - he’s a fearmongering sensationalist and loves to take things out of context and spin it as YouTube click-bait. 

if such an article appears in a reputable cruise line reporting source then I will pay attention.

Me too, primarily because I got frustrated listening to a topic dragged out on and on and on.  My attention span was being tested too much :)  It could be entirely facts but I could care less in the end as I was screaming in my head.  Some people love that I guess, just not for me.  I got especially annoyed by the 10 minute intro to all his merchandise.

Interesting though IF it were to happen but anything reported like this now is all for an audience since it's all within a crystal ball.

Looking at the firat few months after a start (whenever that´s gonna be) IMHO and experience from cruise lines already sailing, change the word "could" to will...

The first cruises wil have nothing in common with the cruises booked. Resetting also solves the problem of who get´s to sail and adapted T & Cs due to covid guidelines. That´s how TUI, MSC, AIDA, Costa etc. did it.

The Celebrity Planner that I deal with states that "most likely" the ships to be brought back on line first will be the Edge and the Apex.  He did not have a timeline for it, but was "hopeful" that it might happen in January.  This was his best guess based on what he has heard from corporate. We are booked on a TA on Reflection in April and feel very doubtful it will sail, although I would imagine Reflection will be the next in line to sail since it is the newest after the Edge & Apex.

This video is all "what ifs" and "possibles" all guess work, will wait to see what really happens rather than concentrate on guesses.

13 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Totally agree, Bruce is over the top, but keep in mind he does it to get hits to his YouTube page, i.e. $$$$.  Don't wate my time on him anymore.  Many of the YouTube cruise experts, Don Family Vacations, La Lida Loca, Bruce...do yourself a favor and don't waste your time.  You click on their nonsense, they make $$$$.  Much prefer to get my informstion from actual cruisers....

Whew, I thought I was the only one. I do sometimes click on it, but then have to close it within 15sec. The only "cruise" related channel I watch these days is ParoDeeJay.

There has been a ship approved for sailing from Florida.   It’s the Bahamas Paradise Line and they will be sailing the larger of their vessels.    This has been approved by the CDC.    It’s time for Royal and Celebrity to get moving on CDC approvals as we now know it is possible.

19 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

He is a bit strange, but in Q1 next year if the Sail Safe guidelines are put in place there is no possibility of many of those cruises taking place either because of too many days or port issues. 

My DW commented on social distancing with 4 people in elevators and about 25 on a tender.  Hard to make that work very well even at 50% capacity.

Remember Celebrity is still selling lots of 10 day cruises in December with multiple port calls.  Can someone explain how those cruises could happen?

While some of those cruise YouTubers are like nails on a chalkboard, I would not be shocked at all if the cruiselines had to go back to square one on fleet deployments and itineraries during their restart period, which could last quite some time. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

They are crazy or what is wrong with their brain, they do not even know what they are saying and everything that involves doing a reset and establishing new itineraries for 2021

Maybe you should just look at all the lines that already did exactly that before insulting people who merely state facts which you could look up yourself...

55 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Maybe you should just look at all the lines that already did exactly that before insulting people who merely state facts which you could look up yourself...

Too bad if you take it as an insult, what they are saying are pure rumors there is no indication that celebrity is going to do it, that's why I say they are crazy

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Too bad if you take it as an insult, what they are saying are pure rumors there is no indication that celebrity is going to do it, that's why I say they are crazy

Which might have been your intention...

However, some here actually expect exactly this scenario - including me - and said so. So you are also addressing them and me. And I can assure you I am neither crazy nor is there anything wrong with my brain.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Which might have been your intention...

However, some here actually expect exactly this scenario - including me - and said so. So you are also addressing them and me. And I can assure you I am neither crazy nor is there anything wrong with my brain.

My purpose was not to insult anyone, just to mention that I don't think this is going to happen. That is why I say that what is mentioned is crazy. We will see in time who was right.

On 10/21/2020 at 9:42 PM, 4774Papa said:

Cruise ship news today has cruise lines looking at the possibility of having to cancel all of their sailings out of North America for 2020 and 2021 because they could be sailing at only 30% to 40% occupancy with about 5% of their fleets to start according to a Wall Street analyst. The cruise lines would then re-schedule their itineraries for cruises they could actually deliver on and notify all of their customers when they can take their delayed cruises. There are millions of customers who have booked their cruises from as far back as 2018 for 2020 and 2021 departures that will not be able to get their cruise holiday because the cruise lines know that they will only start sailing with a small portion of their ships with a very restricted occupancy load. If the US Department of Justice steps in the cruise lines could be forced to offer massive refunds to cruise passengers for all cruises booked for 2021 and even 2022. #cruiseshipnews #cruiselinenews #travellingwithbruce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42t-zQad4wQ

I don't see how the cruise lines can survive operating at 30% or 40% through 2021.

I'm sorry but that's just nonsense.

First off, we already have cruises operating in Europe. Second, airlines have been operating mostly at 66% capacity and in January most will be operating at 100% capacity and we know that there haven't been issues with air travel.

The cruise lines should start and be allowed to operate at about 70-80% for the first couple months. They should require everyone to have a Covid test done within 4 days of their sail date and then test everyone again before they board with those rapid tests. 

The reality is that those at high risk are those 70+ and most people I know at that age aren't going anywhere anytime soon so the crowds will be younger onboard as well.

Stop with the fear mongering...let's get this thing going...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Travel with Bruce has become so negative and speculative lately that I rarely watch him anymore, and have cancelled my subscription.

as has Don's Family Vacations, just keep in mind they use click bait titles, in an effort to get us to open the video.  They get paid for their YouTube views.  Don lives in Canada yet he goes on RANT after RANT about US being closed, he has never done a video about Canada ports also being closed.  $$$$