ALL CRUISES FOR 2020/21 COULD BE CANCELLED FOR RE-SET CRUISE SHIP NEWS

4774Papa

14 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

I'm sorry but that's just nonsense.

First off, we already have cruises operating in Europe. Second, airlines have been operating mostly at 66% capacity and in January most will be operating at 100% capacity and we know that there haven't been issues with air travel.

The cruise lines should start and be allowed to operate at about 70-80% for the first couple months. They should require everyone to have a Covid test done within 4 days of their sail date and then test everyone again before they board with those rapid tests. 

The reality is that those at high risk are those 70+ and most people I know at that age aren't going anywhere anytime soon so the crowds will be younger onboard as well.

Stop with the fear mongering...let's get this thing going...

Regarding a COVID-19 test to get on the ship, I wonder how that will work once a vaccine is widely available?

We have a transatlantic cruise booked from Rome to Tampa for October 2021.  We planned to spend two weeks in Italy prior to the cruise.  If a test is required four days prior, wonder how difficult that would be in Italy?   Also, if we had the vaccine, would a test be required?

15 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The cruise lines should start and be allowed to operate at about 70-80% for the first couple months.

It remains to be seen if that many people even want to cruise in the next few months.  Many fear the virus, and many have no interest in masking up for a restricted experience.  The diehards posting at cruise critic who are desperate to "get on a ship" are not representative of the customer base.

37 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Regarding a COVID-19 test to get on the ship, I wonder how that will work once a vaccine is widely available?

We have a transatlantic cruise booked from Rome to Tampa for October 2021.  We planned to spend two weeks in Italy prior to the cruise.  If a test is required four days prior, wonder how difficult that would be in Italy?   Also, if we had the vaccine, would a test be required?

I would expect the cruising protocols to remain in place for quite awhile - 3 months or longer - after vaccinations have begun. Effectivity will need to be verified and calculable risk assessments understood. There will be varying degrees of efficacy among the world's population for those folks who will take the vaccine. There will be many who don't get vaccinated. The protocol weaning process can not be a "here today, gone tomorrow" happening. It must be a gradual, educated learning process. 

I prefer we remain patient and get it right.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

It remains to be seen if that many people even want to cruise in the next few months.  Many fear the virus, and many have no interest in masking up for a restricted experience.  The diehards posting at cruise critic who are desperate to "get on a ship" are not representative of the customer base.

That is correct, but most cruiselines have already said that once they do start back up it won't be with their entire fleet. Expect each one to start off with 2-3 ships and gradually add more. So you're talking only about 20-30% of ships actually sailing and their capacity being reduced to 80% meaning that the actual cruise passenger capacity would be roughly 15-20% what it used to be. Should be able to fill those boats.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

That is correct, but most cruiselines have already said that once they do start back up it won't be with their entire fleet. Expect each one to start off with 2-3 ships and gradually add more. So you're talking only about 20-30% of ships actually sailing and their capacity being reduced to 80% meaning that the actual cruise passenger capacity would be roughly 15-20% what it used to be. Should be able to fill those boats.

Also it’s not like we are operating in a vacuum. Many sailings between now and fall of 2021 have been on sale for a year or more and have ample advance bookings. There was an initial panic and flurry of cancels but that has abated. I’m seeing more new bookings/ rebookings than I am voluntary cancels. Whatever the capacity levels are set at after restart I think ships will sail with that capacity filled without a problem. 

I'm reading between the lines re "cruise with confidence" and wondering if it's a heads up that X may not be cruising  until 2022?  or a possibility of no cruises if ships aren't booking to the desired capacity?  and move that booking by 11/30/20 or forfeit the best price guarantee?  125% FCC may not cover the newly increased sailing price when ships start up again.  Seems to be a gamble.

"Celebrity’s “Cruise with Confidence” program allows individual guests and guests in non-contracted groups who booked a cruise on or before November 30, 2020, for cruises sailing between June 12, 2020 and May 4, 2022, to opt-in for Celebrity’s “best price guarantee” on their current sailing, or cancel their cruise up to 48 hours prior to the vacation start date and have the option to either (i) move their booking by November 30, 2020 to an eligible alternate sailing and receive our “best price guarantee” for the re-booked sailing or (ii) receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to the amount of the cruise fare the guest paid for their cruise."

Edited by AtSeaSoon

21 hours ago, AtSeaSoon said:

I'm reading between the lines re "cruise with confidence" and wondering if it's a heads up that X may not be cruising  until 2022?  or a possibility of no cruises if ships aren't booking to the desired capacity?  and move that booking by 11/30/20 or forfeit the best price guarantee?  125% FCC may not cover the newly increased sailing price when ships start up again.  Seems to be a gamble.

"Celebrity’s “Cruise with Confidence” program allows individual guests and guests in non-contracted groups who booked a cruise on or before November 30, 2020, for cruises sailing between June 12, 2020 and May 4, 2022, to opt-in for Celebrity’s “best price guarantee” on their current sailing, or cancel their cruise up to 48 hours prior to the vacation start date and have the option to either (i) move their booking by November 30, 2020 to an eligible alternate sailing and receive our “best price guarantee” for the re-booked sailing or (ii) receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to the amount of the cruise fare the guest paid for their cruise."

The program is designed to encourage people to book now and give Celebrity money because they're burning thru a lot of it.

In reality if cruising doesn't come back until 2022 you're going to see Royal, Carnival, and Norwegian ALL file for Ch 11 bankruptcy with a slight possibility of at least one of them filing for Ch 7.

Edited by DaCruiseBug

42 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The program is designed to encourage people to book now and give Celebrity money because they're burning thru a lot of it.

In reality if cruising doesn't come back until 2022 you're going to see Royal, Carnival, and Norwegian ALL file for Ch 11 bankruptcy with a slight possibility of at least one of them filing for Ch 7.

Unfortunately I think you are right

On 10/24/2020 at 7:44 AM, 4774Papa said:

We’re booked on that same cruise. Because it’s on the Constellation, one of the older M-class ships that hasn’t been refurbished, I worry that it may not sail.

Edited by Jazzbo
Missing word

1 hour ago, Jazzbo said:

We’re booked on that same cruise. Because it’s on the Constellation, one of the older M-class ships that hasn’t been refurbished, I worry that it may not sail.

Jazzbo,

The cruise is about a year from now, but since it is a TA the ship has to get to Europe.  Normally, it would depart for Europe in late April or May.   Not sure about that.

We like to take TA cruises since they are cheap and we save on airfare.   We always to a land trip before the TA.  

We plan to get the vaccine as soon as we can.  One should be available before Summer of next year, but it Celebrity still requires a COVID-19  test, I wonder how we would manage that?  Perhaps if they required it, they might have a plan for that.  

We love the M class ships and have done two on Connie already.  We have never found any Celebrity ship to be a problem because they were old.  We did the next to last cruise on the old Century and loved it.