Heritage Expeditions has approval to sail

lissie

I promised - but  I can't remember who to update on  expedition cruising.  Heritage has approval to run their cruises this summer from NZ. Unfortunately if you are not already in NZ  and/or are not a NZ citizen resident at the moment you still can't come into NZ.  They just send me this video which is pretty cool . We are not going as far as Macquarie - but are going to Snares and  Fiordland https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lissie said:

I promised - but  I can't remember who to update on  expedition cruising.  Heritage has approval to run their cruises this summer from NZ. Unfortunately if you are not already in NZ  and/or are not a NZ citizen resident at the moment you still can't come into NZ.  They just send me this video which is pretty cool . We are not going as far as Macquarie - but are going to Snares and  Fiordland https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/

Is Snares your only port?  How long is the cruise?

What a lovely custom to send you the video to add to your excitement.  I couldn't play the video because the sound is wrecked on my computer, but I can imagine it. If it has scenes of penguins hopping in to the water, I could watch forever.  

My favourite penguin memory was a solo penguin walking along the water's edge beside my daughter.  I thought he'd jump in the water at any minute, but he didn't, so I left my daughter to her solo walk, whilst I investigated a ruin with snow inside. 

You are going to have a wonderful time - Enjoy!

Other Antarctic operators are also chartering Spirit of Enderby, in addition to Heritage Expeditions. Chimu Adventures has it also for several cruises out of NZ end of this year and into next year.

Not easy to market though with it limited to Kiwis. But may open up to Aussies soon.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Other Antarctic operators are also chartering Spirit of Enderby, in addition to Heritage Expeditions. Chimu Adventures has it also for several cruises out of NZ end of this year and into next year.

Not easy to market though with it limited to Kiwis. But may open up to Aussies soon.

I hope Chimu does well with its cruises out of NZ.  I only realised different companies chartered the same ship until I went to Antarctica.

My last cruise with Noble Caledonia chartered a Russian vessel.  I was surprised how much the owners of the ship do for passengers compared to the company which charters the ship.  

28 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I hope Chimu does well with its cruises out of NZ.  I only realised different companies chartered the same ship until I went to Antarctica.

My last cruise with Noble Caledonia chartered a Russian vessel.  I was surprised how much the owners of the ship do for passengers compared to the company which charters the ship.  

Thank you Marion, the owners of Spirit of Enderby would have not brought her to NZ unless there were promised charters from other operators.  Heritage Expeditions could not afford the full cost of bringing the ship to NZ. Time will tell. Could be a success, could be a failure.

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Thank you Marion, the owners of Spirit of Enderby would have not brought her to NZ unless there were promised charters from other operators.  Heritage Expeditions could not afford the full cost of bringing the ship to NZ. Time will tell. Could be a success, could be a failure.

They deserve success for being willing to take the risk.  If Aust/NZ bubble frees up travel between Aus and NZ, marketing to Aussies would become available and extend the market. 

45 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

They deserve success for being willing to take the risk.  If Aust/NZ bubble frees up travel between Aus and NZ, marketing to Aussies would become available and extend the market. 

We can only hope and save some families in NZ and Aus.

Edited by NSWP

Heritage Expeditions have the sole contract to the ship for many years from the ship owners. Other companies sell berths under their Own company name, and part-charter, or take a ‘leader’ with a small group. But it’s still the Heritage Expeditions product. And they do it very well. It’s true expedition style and adventure which is becoming lost in amongst the overly-planned itineraries that seems to be becoming the norm.

Hopefully some Australians may be able to come on over and join the fun sometime soon. 

Full credit to the Heritage Expeditions company who have work incredibly hard to get the ship into NZ waters. May they have a successful season ahead.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

What a lovely custom to send you the video to add to your excitement.  I couldn't play the video because the sound is wrecked on my computer, but I can imagine it. If it has scenes of penguins hopping in to the water, I could watch forever.  

My favourite penguin memory was a solo penguin walking along the water's edge beside my daughter.  I thought he'd jump in the water at any minute, but he didn't, so I left my daughter to her solo walk, whilst I investigated a ruin with snow inside. 

They have a great expedition calendar on their website if you’d like to more about the itineraries on offer. https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/calendar/
It currently includes mixes of the following: 

Snares

Aucklands

Campbell

Chathams

Antipodes

Stewart

Fiordland

I see Macquarie Island is still on one of the itineraries but unsure how firm this is

They plan for two Ross Sea Antarctica trips if all the planning and voyages go smoothly. 

Wishing them every success! 

• Like 2

Thank you Kiwi mate for link to itineraries and list of ports.  I hope once NZ/Aust are opened up to visitors, the market for adventure cruising from NZ grows.  It is much less expensive for Aussies to fly to NZ or Hobart to cruise south, than South America. 

22 hours ago, kiwimate said:

Heritage Expeditions have the sole contract to the ship for many years from the ship owners. Other companies sell berths under their Own company name, and part-charter, or take a ‘leader’ with a small group. But it’s still the Heritage Expeditions product. And they do it very well. It’s true expedition style and adventure which is becoming lost in amongst the overly-planned itineraries that seems to be becoming the norm.

Hopefully some Australians may be able to come on over and join the fun sometime soon. 

Full credit to the Heritage Expeditions company who have work incredibly hard to get the ship into NZ waters. May they have a successful season ahead.

Welcome to CC, and the ANZ Board, I note your first post. Yes, you are pretty right in that Heritage was instrumental in having Spirit of Enderby sail over to NZ and also dealing with NZ Govt re the venture.

1402122378_chimuship.jpg.9f7285ef1aa40a650f82bc561809c57a.jpgHowever other Antarctic Tour Operators, both from NZ and Australia made a commitment to the ship's owners to schedule charters, sell berths under the relevatnt company brand and as you say part charters and lead tour groups to NZ Antarctic Waters, at this stage restricted to NZ Pax due to Covid. However other Tour Operators have scheduled expedition cruises on the ship from Hobart and NZ, provided permission is given from government authorities, Aust and NZ.

As others on this board have said, let us wish the companies involved the best of luck and it may be the re start of cruising.

PS I take it you are an Ambassador or linked to Heritage Expeditions? 

This is not advertising it is more like giving hope to the clients and industry generally.

All the best, Uncle Les, father of Chimu, wink wink.

Edited by NSWP

On 10/23/2020 at 4:57 PM, NSWP said:

Don't think so - if you look at their scheduled trips -its all Heritage - maybe they are just reselling berths under their own brand?  You can see their whole schedule here https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/calendar/ those prices in NZ$ are new cruises desgined to woo Kiwis 

On 10/23/2020 at 1:16 PM, MMDown Under said:

8 days:  Stewart Island - Snares - Fiordland - they leave exactly where in those locations open - depending on the weather. I've walked the 10 day hike on Stewart Island many years ago - saw a kiwi in the wild during the day! . Been to Fiordland on the typical Milford, Dusky sound day tours - but never overnight - and there isa LOT of Fiordland 

On 10/23/2020 at 10:23 PM, kiwimate said:

They have a great expedition calendar on their website if you’d like to more about the itineraries on offer. https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/calendar/
It currently includes mixes of the following: 

Snares

Aucklands

Campbell

Chathams

Antipodes

Stewart

Fiordland

I see Macquarie Island is still on one of the itineraries but unsure how firm this is

They plan for two Ross Sea Antarctica trips if all the planning and voyages go smoothly. 

Wishing them every success! 

I know someone doing a trip in December which includes Macquarie - they are still in discussion with whichever state runs it 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Don't think so - if you look at their scheduled trips -its all Heritage - maybe they are just reselling berths under their own brand?  You can see their whole schedule here https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/calendar/ those prices in NZ$ are new cruises desgined to woo Kiwis 

Other companies/tour operators are doing part charters of the ship and/or selling berths or even packaging their own tours with a tour leader.

28 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Other companies/tour operators are doing part charters of the ship and/or selling berths or even packaging their own tours with a tour leader.

Good idea.  I guess economy of scale helps with other companies doing sub charters, esp during the pandemic.

2 hours ago, lissie said:

I know someone doing a trip in December which includes Macquarie - they are still in discussion with whichever state runs it 

I found the Macquarie Island stop interesting. It is an Australian territory, I think under Tasmania.

New bubble, bubble.

13 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I found the Macquarie Island stop interesting. It is an Australian territory, I think under Tasmania.

New bubble, bubble.

Have you been there?  I considered going on a Ponant cruise, which was reasonably priced for a solo at the time.  Yes it is part of Tasmania, an Australian territory. 

Edited by MMDown Under

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Uniworld have many river cruises in Europe an Asia next year with no surcharge for sole occupancy. I am interested in them.

Just now, NSWP said:

Uniworld have many river cruises in Europe an Asia next year with no surcharge for sole occupancy. I am interested in them.

Yes, solo rates are around.  You just have to keep an eye out for them.  Taulk was one river company which used to have solo rates.  I expect more because of the pandemic, to help fill their boats.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...