When will we sail the Hawaiian Islands Again?

BirdTravels

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm a mere 4 month visitor on Maui, but what I have learned in a short time is that this lovely island consists of tweekers on the corner and golfers spending $700 a round. Food bank lines stretching miles, and sunset catamaran dinner cruises. I'm not entirely new to Hawaii (having lived here in the 80's) and we've  been working with an agent on a possible real-estate investment.  I must say several current policies do give me pause. However; I acknowledge that the economic diversity alone must be very challenging for political leaders.

Getting back to the OP's original question. As a full time resident in Upcountry Maui; When do you foresee Hawaii allowing POA to resume cruising? 

Your comments above about Maui were very interesting.  If you truly believe what you wrote, one wonders why would you possibly want to make an investment here?  It is hardly an inexpensive or uncomplicated place to own property or a business.

Very honestly, we really can't comment about the POA as we have no attachment to it and haven't given any thought to that. 

There are risks and rewards to most investments. I'm interested in living the reward during Michigan winters :). Right now we are learning as much as we can about both prior to making any commitment. Tax laws for short term rental properties are proving very interesting.

Assuming you have some level of attachment to cruising in general, you must have given some thought to when cruising will resume in Hawaii.  Do you believe cruising will resume here at the same time as Florida? Before Florida? After Florida? I believe the OP's purpose was to gather opinions. 

PS: Hope you are staying safe and dry in the Upcountry. From Kapalua I can't even see the mountains this morning.

I'm interested in living the reward during Michigan winters 🙂.

Me 2! As you can see in my signature block, my booked cruises tend to be during winter months (Dec, Jan, Feb). Not a coincidence. You are very wise. Btw, here in Mich, temps are now reaching the mid-to-upper 40's and the good amount of snow on the ground is melting to where you are seeing more & more patches of lawns/grass. Also, more roofs becoming visible. Spring is just around the corner...

you must have given some thought to when cruising will resume in Hawaii.  Do you believe cruising will resume here at the same time as Florida? Before Florida? After Florida?

I'm hoping before Florida. That's why I booked PoA as my first cruise, Oct 23-30, 2021. Fingers crossed 🤞.

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 10:42 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Assuming you have some level of attachment to cruising in general, you must have given some thought to when cruising will resume in Hawaii.  Do you believe cruising will resume here at the same time as Florida? Before Florida? After Florida? I believe the OP's purpose was to gather opinions. 

PS: Hope you are staying safe and dry in the Upcountry. From Kapalua I can't even see the mountains this morning.

The POA is a great concept, though not for us.  When she showed up, that was fine but when she stopped sailing here, out of sight was out of mind for us.  The same for Florida and cruising.  We were able to get everything back for a Regent trans-Panama when it cancelled last Spring.  We took the money and ran, and won't get back into cruising until/if things calm down.  Speculation would only be frustrating.  Does give you something to do though when Kapalua gets slow.  We had a second home there for years.  It was lovely but boring, and too many snowbirds.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Me 2! As you can see in my signature block, my booked cruises tend to be during winter months (Dec, Jan, Feb). Not a coincidence. You are very wise. Btw, here in Mich, temps are now reaching the mid-to-upper 40's and the good amount of snow on the ground is melting to where you are seeing more & more patches of lawns/grass. Also, more roofs becoming visible. Spring is just around the corner...

I'm hoping before Florida. That's why I booked PoA as my first cruise, Oct 23-30, 2021. Fingers crossed 🤞.

december here lol  fingers crossed too

• Like 1

BermudaBound2014 -  Off subject a bit but worth an ask, we were just wondering what keeps you busy during your extended visit here?  We have a home and two acres of forever growing plants, trees and flowers to consider and that keeps us kind of busy, but we are running short on interesting things to do that aren't touristy or overdone.  We're too close to the subject to be objective, and you seem to have a handle on things.  Mahalo.

13 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

BermudaBound2014 -  Off subject a bit but worth an ask, we were just wondering what keeps you busy during your extended visit here?  We have a home and two acres of forever growing plants, trees and flowers to consider and that keeps us kind of busy, but we are running short on interesting things to do that aren't touristy or overdone.  We're too close to the subject to be objective, and you seem to have a handle on things.  Mahalo.

I'll bite. I've only been on island 2 months so I'm likely doing things that you would consider very overdone. We've also had visitors twice, so as they arrive we revisit some of the major tourist points like RTH. I was even dragged to a luau :). As you know, the Kapalua area offers excellent snorkeling and we do that several times a week. Golf, of course. We are also big hikers so I make a point to stroll the Kapalua coastal trail daily and add the Mahana Ridge trail when I want a bit more exercise. That's what keeps me busy in the immediate Kapalua area. Outside of Kapalua we engage in typical tourist activities as well; I'm heading on  11th whale watch today (yes 11, I'm a total geek for the whales). We've snorkeled Molokini, sailed to Lanai with the dolphins, and hiked to several waterfalls on the East Side (although we've steered clear the last week, such a tragedy with the hikers at the bamboo forest).

While I'm still quite thrilled doing typical tourist activities, I have managed to take advantage of several volunteer opportunities which may interest you. You likely know that organizations like Pacific Whale Foundation and sustainable Coastline Hawaii provides multiple ecofriendly volunteer opportunities. And while things are scaled back for covid, I have participated in two organized whale counts and beach clean up projects.  I was speaking with our waitress at Gazebo after seeing the tremendously long line for food, and as fate would have it, she helps to organize food distribution for a local church. Needless to say, and I will be packing food donation boxes with her next week. Not sure if volunteering is something you are interested in, but I find it rewarding. HandsOn Maui - County of Maui Volunteer Center  For those of you cruising to Hawaii in the future, it is possible to arrange for volunteer opportunities while on island. It's fun! 

Having lived on Oahu for a few years I do understand Island Fever; which is why it is unlikely I would ever make a permanent move here. I'm happy being a simple snowbird. However; if I lived in Hawaii full time, 2 acres in upcountry would be very high on my list. It must be absolutely gorgeous!!  You are living a real dream come true for so many. Looks like the winds have died down and another glorious day is unfolding. Enjoy the rock!!!! 

• Like 2

Having lived on Oahu for a few years I do understand Island Fever; which is why it is unlikely I would ever make a permanent move here. I'm happy being a simple snowbird. However; if I lived in Hawaii full time, 2 acres in upcountry would be very high on my list. It must be absolutely gorgeous!!  You are living a real dream come true for so many. Looks like the winds have died down and another glorious day is unfolding. Enjoy the rock!!!! 

Thanks for the kind words.  Have you had a chance to visit Upcountry?  We enjoy every day here and have no intention of going anywhere else - unless Regent has a cruise we just can't resist.  

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 6:52 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

Thanks for the kind words.  Have you had a chance to visit Upcountry?  We enjoy every day here and have no intention of going anywhere else - unless Regent has a cruise we just can't resist.  

Other than driving through on the way to Mt. Haleakala, I haven't spent much time in upcountry. We did eat at Kula lodge on the way back one day (I think that is considered upcountry). Do you have any recommendations for us? I'm currently on a quest to find Rainbow Eucalyptus trees that aren't along the road to Hana. Can you possibly point me in the right direction? I would be very grateful.

On 3/7/2021 at 9:50 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Other than driving through on the way to Mt. Haleakala, I haven't spent much time in upcountry. We did eat at Kula lodge on the way back one day (I think that is considered upcountry). Do you have any recommendations for us? I'm currently on a quest to find Rainbow Eucalyptus trees that aren't along the road to Hana. Can you possibly point me in the right direction? I would be very grateful.

The trees seem to like the weather along the road to Hana, and that is why you really don't see many anywhere else. You could call the Ke'anae Arboretum and ask them where else you can find them besides at their facility.  In checking around, there was mention of a few on the way from Kula to Ulupalakua, but we only remember regular eucalyptus.  The drive up there is very nice by the way, and the views are spectacular on clear days.  When you get to Ulupalakua you can check out the winery and/or the general store.  Haven't been that way in a while, but we believe they still make burgers using lamb, beef and elk grown on the ranch.  We didn't care for the wine at the winery though.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 9:53 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

The trees seem to like the weather along the road to Hana, and that is why you really don't see many anywhere else. You could call the Ke'anae Arboretum and ask them where else you can find them besides at their facility.  In checking around, there was mention of a few on the way from Kula to Ulupalakua, but we only remember regular eucalyptus.  The drive up there is very nice by the way, and the views are spectacular on clear days.  When you get to Ulupalakua you can check out the winery and/or the general store.  Haven't been that way in a while, but we believe they still make burgers using lamb, beef and elk grown on the ranch.  We didn't care for the wine at the winery though.

Excellent idea to call Ke'anae Arboretum and ask the question. TY. We'll make a point to visit Ulupalakua once things dry up. We were up on HaleaKala Saturday for the sunset but it was the very start of this rain maker.  I am sending you lots of positive energy and hope you are staying safe. Parts of Upcountry and Hana have really taken a blow :(. Praying you and your Ohana have come through unscathed. 

4 hours ago, dumbth said:

The topic drift in this thread is wasting the time of folks repeatedly drawn here for news about resumption of HI CRUISING...

Fair enough 🙂 Few tidbits:

Ige had a press announcement today regarding status of Covid infections. You can watch it here Gov. Ige discusses new COVID-19 variant, vaccine roll-out and Safe Travels program on Spotlight Hawaii | Honolulu Star-Advertiser 

Things appear to be moving slower on the Islands vs Mainland when it comes to vaccination. Meanwhile, the Big Island has increased gatherings from 10 to 25. Gatherings still limited to 5 here on Maui. I also believe that Kauai is not going to require additional stay in resort bubble upon arrival starting sometime in April. All good signs. However; since the Brazillian strain is on island, this has prompted some some groups to protest to entirely close down Maui to all visitors until Covid is 'under control' (not exactly sure what that means). So, while things appear to be opening up in some areas, the resistance to visitors is gathering momentum in others.

I still say Hawaii will open to cruisers long after Florida does.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Things appear to be moving slower on the Islands vs Mainland when it comes to vaccination. 

You betcha!

This from Maui Now:  "On Maui, the DOH reports that 15.4 percent of the population have received a first dose of the vaccine; and 7.2 percent have completed two doses. In total, Maui County has administered 37,349 doses among a total population base of 167,417".

This means 130,068 Maui residents have yet to get any vaccination at all because we are still plodding through phases 1A, 1B and people over 70.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sugcarol said:

This would be a game changer if passed. Opening Hawaii with proof of vaccine without having to quarantine could mean that POA would be able to sail as it only sails Hawaii. 

Newest bill wants to allow travelers with COVID-19 vaccines to bypass quarantine (khon2.com)

I think a big obstacle is local resistance. Best I can tell based on organized protests, there is a significant population of residents that do not want tourists at all, let alone cruisers. Of course, the economy could use the boost so no telling what the Governor will decide. We should also note that so far Ige has given each island the ability to opt in (or out) of his decisions regarding tourists returning so whatever he decides may not be applied to each island. This is what Govenor Ing said about a vaccine passport: "During a livestreamed interview Monday, Ige said the state might institute a “vaccine passport” program, although he emphasized that the state is still “a while away” from such a policy."

It's not bad news by any means, but I do suspect things will move slowly here.

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think a big obstacle is local resistance. Best I can tell based on organized protests, there is a significant population of residents that do not want tourists at all, let alone cruisers. Of course, the economy could use the boost so no telling what the Governor will decide. We should also note that so far Ige has given each island the ability to opt in (or out) of his decisions regarding tourists returning so whatever he decides may not be applied to each island. This is what Govenor Ing said about a vaccine passport: "During a livestreamed interview Monday, Ige said the state might institute a “vaccine passport” program, although he emphasized that the state is still “a while away” from such a policy."

It's not bad news by any means, but I do suspect things will move slowly here.

Didnt the Governor also say that the population of Hawaii is overwhelmingly in favor of personally getting the vaccine?

4 hours ago, sugcarol said:

Didnt the Governor also say that the population of Hawaii is overwhelmingly in favor of personally getting the vaccine?

which is significantly different that the poll done a month earlier when many were not willing to get the vaccine. while hawaii is doing well in using the vaccines they have, they are well behind most other state in where they are in their tier system. They are just now getting to seniors over 65 (has been 70). 

Edited by BirdTravels

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

which is significantly different that the poll done a month earlier when many were not willing to get the vaccine. while hawaii is doing well in using the vaccines they have, they are well behind most other state in where they are in their tier system. They are just now getting to seniors over 65 (has been 70). 

You’re still doing better than us here in Canada.  Most areas are still working on health care professionals and people over 80.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:04 PM, sugcarol said:

There seems to be some discrepancy between what the Governor is saying and what is actually happening on the ground, but I'm not sure that is unique to Hawaii.

Regarding vaccination and cruising, obviously I am in the minority, but I don't see vaccines as the key to the cruises restarting. What keeps getting headlines here in HI is the amount of people contracting covid that have been fully vaccinated. While I believe only 5% can still contract covid after being vaccinated, the headlines appear to be  keeping locals very reserved about opening up the islands to tourists in general, and I suspect there would be absolute outrage at opening the islands up to Cruise Ship Passengers anytime soon. Health care on the islands is limited so residents are very protective of their Ohana.

"The Hawaii Department of Health (DOH) has announced three cases in which a fully vaccinated person contracted COVID-19." 

3 vaccinated Hawaii residents tested positive for COVID-19 | WLNS 6 News

"Health officials have stressed that being vaccinated for COVID-19 does not guarantee that a person will not contract the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 disease"

Fully vaccinated Oahu health care worker tests positive for COVID-19 | Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Time will tell if I'm correct, but I suspect Hawaii will be very slow to open to main stream cruising.

57 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

but I don't see vaccines as the key to the cruises restarting. What keeps getting headlines here in HI is the amount of people contracting covid that have been fully vaccinated.

I think these two statements are key.  It has never been said that being vaccinated would prevent you from getting it at all, but that it would reduce the severity of the symptoms.  The issue there is that a vaccinated person could contract the virus, never show symptoms but still test positive, and possibly for a few months.  If that happens and they continue pre-trip testing there could be a LOT of angry people being left on the pier.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hallux said:

I think these two statements are key.  It has never been said that being vaccinated would prevent you from getting it at all, but that it would reduce the severity of the symptoms.  The issue there is that a vaccinated person could contract the virus, never show symptoms but still test positive, and possibly for a few months.  If that happens and they continue pre-trip testing there could be a LOT of angry people being left on the pier.

Maybe if the cruise lines require everyone to be vaccinated, they will do away with testing. I agree with you, the vaccine will not prevent you from catching the virus, but if you do, your symptoms will be mild (like a cold). Most importantly, you won't be hospitalized and won't die. Like the flu virus, we will have to live with the corona virus (including the variants) and get our covid vaccine every year like we do our flu vaccine every year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Maybe if the cruise lines require everyone to be vaccinated, they will do away with testing. I agree with you, the vaccine will not prevent you from catching the virus, but if you do, your symptoms will be mild (like a cold). Most importantly, you won't be hospitalized and won't die. Like the flu virus, we will have to live with the corona virus (including the variants) and get our covid vaccine every year like we do our flu vaccine every year.

I don't expect we will 'do away with testing' anytime soon. Too much money is being made in the testing industry. As far as the vaccine and Hawaii goes, it appears to me that most residents who are against tourism resuming full tilt are worried that the virus will take hold in the islands (with less medical options). The resistance isn't that the symptoms are mild once people are vaccinated, the resistance is that even with the vaccine you may carry it here.

I truly hope those of you sailing to Hawaii in 2021 can do so. It's a gorgeous island and I absolutely love it here. It brings me no pleasure to have such a negative outlook on when cruising will resume. But, being on Maui since very early January (and staying thru April), listening to local news nightly, and speaking with residents, my feeling is that there may be too much political pressure to stop cruising from restarting at the same time as Florida. I believe it WILL restart eventually, but things here do move slower. Of course, I would be delighted to be wrong. The economy is largely dependent on tourism and many are suffering.

• Like 1

I'm feeling more confident by the day about POA sailing again. Looked up these facts about Covid in Hawaii, based on their data.

Population 1.4  Million

Positive cases 28,834

Hospitalized [7%]=2018

Deaths 454, the majority of deaths occurred during the first 6 months

535,000 vaccinated with at least 1 shot given so far.

• Like 1