When will we sail the Hawaiian Islands Again?

BirdTravels

2 hours ago, sugcarol said:

I'm feeling more confident by the day about POA sailing again. Looked up these facts about Covid in Hawaii, based on their data.

Population 1.4  Million

Positive cases 28,834

Hospitalized [7%]=2018

Deaths 454, the majority of deaths occurred during the first 6 months

535,000 vaccinated with at least 1 shot given so far.

Actually, as is the case with all numbers, they only tell part of the story. In reality, covid numbers are increasing right now. The mayor of Maui called the increase a "Crucial tipping point" yesterday and is discussing implementing more restrictions to get Maui numbers trending down.

Maui Mayor Eyes Restrictions in Virus Cluster Areas: “We’re at a Crucial Point” | Maui Now

May be an image of text that says 'Daily New COVID-19 Cases* Hawaii2 Updated Saturday, March 20, 2021 Current 7-day Average Daily New Cases (per 100,000 population) Statewi.. Hawaii Honolulu Kauai 4.7 Maui 3.3 3.8 0.0 13.9 20.0 Maui 100,000 15.0 (per 10.0 Cases 5.0 le New krea 0.0 Stateyyidu Hawaii Kauai Dec1,20Jan1,21 20 Dec Feb1,21 Mar1,21 Mar'

These numbers looks small to those on the mainland in states with high numbers, but issue among residents is limited access to hospitalization. Right now, the positive numbers in Hawaii are climbing quickly and residents are getting angry. Lots of calls for participation in organized protests to shut down incoming tourists.

Residents of Moloka'i and Maui protest to keep visitors out amid - Honolulu, Hawaii news, sports & weather - KITV Channel 4

image.png.15cec05d6e08032b900676e1ef01bcff.png

image.png.75e13b99373d73b27119f865a6ff313d.png

Thankfully, there are no protests up where I am staying (Kapalua), but apparently things are getting heated in more population dense areas like Kahalui (where the airport is). 

Believe me, I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I am trying to paint a more complete picture of what is happening on the ground. With Spring Break upon us, the numbers of tourists (and positive covid cases) are rising and residents are getting more frightened and more angry.  I am doubling down on my belief that Hawaii won't open to cruisers until long after sailings from Florida prove it is safe. 

Time will tell.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The article you mention above refers to virus cluster areas - which are largely composed of residents and not tourists.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

On 3/22/2021 at 2:09 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

The article you mention above refers to virus cluster areas - which are largely composed of residents and not tourists.

Yes- I read the cluster in the jail Is down to 5 active cases so that’s good. Here is the cluster list if you haven’t seen it:

878CBC05-8358-4373-95F1-842355C7B7CC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Update for those interested. The governor of Hawaii and mayor of Maui have held press conferences the last two days to respond to an increased number of covid cases on the islands.

In summary:

1) a vaccination passport is being piloted but they are running into difficulties. The governor admitted that Hawaii has no comprehensive record of who has (or has not) been vaccinated. He also described inconsistencies among the states. My Interpretation: vaccine passports used for entry into Hawaii will not be happening anytime soon. https://mauinow.com/2020/04/06/live-stream-gov-ige-press-conference-april-6-2020-230-p-m/

2) Maui is implementing a secondary testing measure. In addition to a pre-test within 72 hours of arrival, visitors will need to undergo a second test upon arrival at Kahului airport. This in response to continued criticism of too many tourists causing numbers to rise.

https://mauinow.com/2021/04/07/breaking-maui-to-implement-mandatory-secondary-test-upon-arrival-for-trans-pacific-flights/?fbclid=IwAR3WBDA-EMw_Ril83W_tx6ze6GaYsxidbDCcSFXaQ4JOouIsfTemEqvGPaQ

personally- I’ve seen a major uptick in policing of mask wearing in public. Police on segways along the boardwalk in ka’anapilli, multiple officers along front street, and I even passed two officers along the  Kapalua coastal trail a few days ago. 

I know many of you are hoping for a fall Hawaii cruise. Please be aware that even if the cdc bends on the requirements of the conditional sail order (or the PRide can meet the requirements), things are definitely tightening down here on island. They may lighten up by the fall, but at this moment we are trending in the wrong direction :(. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 4:25 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Actually, as is the case with all numbers, they only tell part of the story. In reality, covid numbers are increasing right now. The mayor of Maui called the increase a "Crucial tipping point" yesterday and is discussing implementing more restrictions to get Maui numbers trending down.

Maui Mayor Eyes Restrictions in Virus Cluster Areas: “We’re at a Crucial Point” | Maui Now

May be an image of text that says 'Daily New COVID-19 Cases* Hawaii2 Updated Saturday, March 20, 2021 Current 7-day Average Daily New Cases (per 100,000 population) Statewi.. Hawaii Honolulu Kauai 4.7 Maui 3.3 3.8 0.0 13.9 20.0 Maui 100,000 15.0 (per 10.0 Cases 5.0 le New krea 0.0 Stateyyidu Hawaii Kauai Dec1,20Jan1,21 20 Dec Feb1,21 Mar1,21 Mar'

These numbers looks small to those on the mainland in states with high numbers, but issue among residents is limited access to hospitalization. Right now, the positive numbers in Hawaii are climbing quickly and residents are getting angry. Lots of calls for participation in organized protests to shut down incoming tourists.

Residents of Moloka'i and Maui protest to keep visitors out amid - Honolulu, Hawaii news, sports & weather - KITV Channel 4

Thankfully, there are no protests up where I am staying (Kapalua), but apparently things are getting heated in more population dense areas like Kahalui (where the airport is). 

Believe me, I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I am trying to paint a more complete picture of what is happening on the ground. With Spring Break upon us, the numbers of tourists (and positive covid cases) are rising and residents are getting more frightened and more angry.  I am doubling down on my belief that Hawaii won't open to cruisers until long after sailings from Florida prove it is safe. 

Time will tell.

Wow, looks like the Aloha spirit is dead and gone, at least in the area you highlighted.

6 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Wow, looks like the Aloha spirit is dead and gone, at least in the area you highlighted.

The photos were taken near Kahului where the airport and cruise port are. Where I'm staying (over an hour away), I have only experienced Aloha, but I acknowledge that there is an underlying current of tension this year that hasn't been here in my past visits. I suspect Hawaii is like everywhere else, polarized with tensions running high. Hopefully this too shall pass as Hawaii is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful states in our nation. I will go home at the end of the month to the "covid epicenter" and must admit I'd rather stay here.

On 3/22/2021 at 4:25 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Time will tell.

Reminds me of the Outer Banks last Spring Lol

On 4/8/2021 at 2:05 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

"I know many of you are hoping for a fall Hawaii cruise. Please be aware that even if the cdc bends on the requirements of the conditional sail order (or the PRide can meet the requirements), things are definitely tightening down here on island. They may lighten up by the fall, but at this moment we are trending in the wrong direction :(. "

This exactly.  We decided to postpone our Sept 2021 cruise (a second time) not because the CDC won't allow cruising to Hawaii but because the residents are worried about tourists like me bringing infection to them -- not much Aloha these days.  Also, many businesses have closed and may not reopen in time for summer/fall cruisers to enjoy all the places and excursions planned.  Additionally, cruise lines need time to verify vaccination of all staff many of whom come from far countries to work and may not have easy access to the vaccine yet. I'm thinking of 2021 as "recovery time" and hope that 2022 will be the year to set sail again comfortably.  

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a little bit of good news. It's not enough for me to change my prediction, but it is a good sign moving forward for those who want to travel to Hawaii. 

Starting May 11th, vaccinated Hawaii residents will be allow inter-island travel and bypass quarantine. This is currently only applied to Hawaii residents, so those coming from the mainland are still subject to all the inner island testing requirements, but it's a step to easing travel.

Meanwhile on Maui, the second mandatory test upon arrival goes into effect next week for those traveling from the mainland. It's getting easier for Hawaiian residents to move between islands, but more difficult for those arriving from the mainland to enter Maui. 

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/gov-david-ige-to-announce-new-inter-island-travel-rules-possible-vaccine-exemption/

• Like 1