Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Oosterdam

1023World.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Tough times for event organizers.  Talk show hosts have become experts at adapting to the times.  I don't can but salute those who do.  Love the quote.  Pork Loin Roast sounds nice but my alternate menu suggestion is Chilled Grape and Cranberry Soup, Ribeye Steak and Cherry Sundae, as  served on MS Amsterdam October 23, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires

Sharon’s book club member

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Spring coming to New Zealand

Rendezivir

Happy 39th, Ichiban Nekko

and StLouisCruisers son visiting his gram

Roy

PS. There will be a special shoutout in another post today

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

SPECIAL Shoutout

Local resident Vivian C “Millir” Bailey has been an outstanding volunteer in my county since she arrived in my county 50 years ago.  A WW2 veteran, a local park was dedicated in her honor yesterday:

bailey1.thumb.jpg.a6313ba28c1ac95939e38a21c6c39b1a.jpg
Now well past her 102nd birthday, she recently crossed skydiving off her bucketlist.

Well done, Millie

Roy

• Like 23

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

That’s an interesting mix of days.  Event Organizers and Talk Show Hosts have certainly had a lot of challenges these days.  Seems late for National Canning Day - I would have thought most people would have done their canning done by now?

Love the quote - I confess to doing it periodically 😉 

The meal suggestion sounds good but none on hand.  A mimosa would be lovely on a ship.

The wine sounds interesting.  Can’t wait to hear about it.  While we’re waiting to hear about it and thinking about wine.....

EC1D0B1B-B286-4268-B229-AED83731AA17.thumb.jpeg.b8d2c461ebe145939d10d0522aacbf46.jpeg

186B4E81-AC6A-4BDC-9D89-4026FCBD9B11.jpeg.f642d2e537c11875ac9417d9b72156a9.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those who need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory list.

Have a great T.G.I.F. everyone!  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks😷 

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

SPECIAL Shoutout

Local resident Vivian C “Millir” Bailey has been an outstanding volunteer in my county since she arrived in my county 50 years ago.  A WW2 veteran, a local park was dedicated in her honor yesterday:

bailey1.thumb.jpg.a6313ba28c1ac95939e38a21c6c39b1a.jpg
Now well past her 102nd birthday, she recently crossed skydiving off her bucketlist.

Well done, Millie

Roy

I saw this on TV a day or two ago and was so impressed.  What a woman!

I have an early hair salon appointment so can't stick around this morning so will be back later to read everyone's comments.  Yes, we wear face masks and use hand sanitizer, as well as wiping down equipment at the hair salon.  I always wear a face mask when I go out in public as do most of the population around here.  Those who don't should be steered clear of (and maybe take a hint!)

Son reported Gram was thrilled to see him and especially when he said I will see you again tomorrow.   It must mean a lot to see visitors while in a nursing home during a health crisis like this.  I can't imagine.

See you all later.

• Like 13

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  Thank you Roy & Summer for your daily (Pun intended) addition to the festivities. To all of you for making this place so special.@gigianne - those pics from the park were amazing. What a great idea to add those gorgeous sculptures.  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Joy, just scroll past the wine.

What a combo of days! I am fairly certain I was sent outside to play, when my Mom & Aunt were canning, so I have never canned! I know - shocking!

Is that the Joe Walsh of “Rocky Mountain Way” & The Eagles? That quote sounds like something he would say. I have not had pork in a long time, might need to pick up something this week.  Finally, a drink I know how to make. Or at least think I do. Summer will set me straight, if I am not.

Roy, I will toast to Vivian tonight! May she continue to enjoy life & prosper! 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to Vivian & all those who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone.

This red blend from Bordeaux has superb ratings, and if you can find it locally - a hefty price tag. I found one site that offered it for $75, but several European vendors had it in the $55 -$65 range. I might be tempted at $55, but it would have to be a special occasion. Like celebrating a viable vaccine! Again - no winemaker notes, so I posted two reviewers. One of them should be familiar to you Dailyites.

#23 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Blend: 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot

JS97James Suckling

Aromas of blackberries, red and dark plums, cedar and gravel, as well as red flowers and brown-leaf tea. It offers a very sleek and powerful array of ripe dark fruit and a very plush, focused and elegant bed of fresh, fine and powerful tannins. Plenty of aging potential, this is still quite tight. A blend of 55 per cent cabernet sauvignon, 35 per cent merlot, five per cent cabernet franc and five per cent petit verdot. Try from 2024.

WS96 Wine Spectator
The core of fruit flavor here is sappy and dense, with lots of kirsch, raspberry pâte de fruit and plum reduction notes, yet this stays fresh and racy overall, with a bright iron spine, flashes of tea and tobacco and a long finish that shows a wonderful infusion of alder and tobacco flavors. Offers a lovely combination of prodigious fruit details, with a tug of earth. Best from 2024 through 2038.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 16

Good morning all.  Smiles  to everyone.  Event Organizers have had quite a hiatius.  I don't watch talk shows.  And canning, I agree with Kazu, seems late.  The quote is so me....It's usually more than sometimes.

Mimosa:

Ingredients: 2 1/2 oz (1 part) Champagne, 2 1/2 oz (1 part) Orange juice
Preparation: Ensure both ingredients are well chilled, then mix into the glass. Serve cold.
Served: Stirred not shaken
Standard garnish: Cherries, Grenadine, Strawberries

Love the story about Ms. Bailey.  Absolutely a deserving lady.

Prayers and congratulations for all.
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask please.  Numbers are soaring again.
  • Like 15

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A great combination of days to celebrate - the one event I most enjoy planning is our cruises.  I'm a pretty easy-going kind of person, but I become seriously OCD when it comes to our trips; I've got all the fine (important) details nailed down firmly before we leave the door to the airport.  DH usually doesn't have a clue, he just carries the luggage and knows we'll be good.  LOL

Like @cat shepherd,  I've never canned anything in my life.  As a child, I remember going to the basement to bring up various jars of fruit or pickles that my mother had canned to keep us going through the winter.  Just thinking of the crabapples makes my teeth sing because they were so sweet!

I'd like to try the wine, but am not certain about the cedar and gravel - I wonder if it comes with a no-gravel option?  Tonight's dinner will be pork, but not pork loin; I'm going to bake pork chops and serve them along with smashed potatoes (different than mashed) and a vegetable.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Our glasses will clink together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15

Good morning Rich. Fun Daily today. Thank you for taking the time to bring us happiness!

So, couldn't decide what to make last night for dinner and finally settled on a pork tenderloin roast. 

Tonight will be a pot roast in the crock-pot with all sorts of veggies. Going to get it ready soon as I post.

Ann..Sappy, racy, iron spine.. who reviews these wines? Sheesh. 

Ann and Denise, hope you both have a beautiful weekend. Denise, is Paisley going to be with you and David?

Thanks summer and Roy for your additions. Roy, I saw Millie on the news as well. Good for her and will toast to her tonight.

St. Louis: I am going for a haircut this afternoon too. We have our own private rooms and wear our masks.

National Canning Day:

Yes, this is the real thing. You can buy it on Amazon, or can make your own...

Amazon.com: Creamed Possum in Coon Fat Gravy Garnished with Sweet Potatoes  (Gag Can): Everything Else

God bless our Dailyites, have a great weekend. Please be safe and stay healthy.

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

🌺🌺🌺Good morning everyone!!! Thank you to Rich and Roy for your great contributions , our wonderful knowledgeable 🌺 Sommelier my sister Ann👍 If I drink a good red my choice is Spellbound. I usually like  whites.

🌺Summer is our mixologist LOL! I am ready for a mimosa!! Closing my eyes right now and  seeing one in my hand on a cruise! 👍

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Denise, is Paisley going to be with you and David?

🌺Hi Joy!! Paisley goes home today! We had her for a week! I am looking at her sleeping at the foot of my bed! LOL! Have a good weekend!

🌸To all on The Daily have a safe and beautiful weekend! 
🌺Jacqui. Love your cartoons! This is a favorite for me👍👍

image.jpeg.8027b1f0c2ede9e61b223029b20d7475.jpeg

And last night we had a beautiful sunset!

With so much global news going on,this was a breath of fresh air!  Enjoy the weekend!

Denise😊

image.thumb.jpeg.3ab66a0ab723134239d686e85afc1991.jpeg

• Like 16

I had just one night in Gothenburg.  My next stop was Stockholm and it was supposed to be a little over 3 hours by high speed train.   It was an easy walk from my hotel to the Gothenburg train station.

wrld1270.thumb.jpg.1d4c9a8b35561596fad51685cc92dce2.jpg

My high speed train suffered a breakdown and I had to disembark in Hallsberg, near the midway point, and change to a conventional train.

wrld1280.thumb.jpg.1094ca745be12be6cb94f204403eb8e4.jpg

My room at my hotel in Stockholm was not much bigger than my rooms on the ferries.

wrld1320.thumb.jpg.08e7fb94a21fed81192bbe0659935828.jpg
The next morning I had a mostly free day in Stockholm before the next leg began:

wrld1330.thumb.jpg.ff702100179e12fc36b67bca0af7be40.jpg
Date: Monday, April 07, 2003 3:42 AM

I'm lucky today.  My hotel in Stockholm has a free internet terminal right in the lobby.  Welcome to this list to my fellow travelers from the Canmar Courage.  You mentioned experiencing my trip vicariously.   Anyone who takes a preteen and an early teenager for 12 days on a freighter with the experience coming out happily for both generations and the others on the ship (both passenger and crew) already has an experience most people would be very lucky to share
in.

In answer to a few questions, I did not buy a kilt in Scotland, but did buy a tie in the Ferguson design.  I am not terribly worried about SARS, my closest to Hong Kong will be about 500 miles.  It appears to be pretty hard to catch except by very close contact anywhere but Hong Kong.

It's been quite frosty up here, the temperature yesterday was -1 (30 Farenheit) with a 30 mph wind.  

Gothenburg was a beautiful city with wide boulevards and enticing sidewalk cafes, although my brief time there did not allow much sightseeing.  My high speed train yesterday suffered a breakdown, making a varied day of travel.  It was pleasant and quiet the half hour we were on it.  Stockholm is a lovely city, but just a bit too cold to spend a lot of time outdoors.”

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Enjoyed your adventure this am with my coffee Roy! Sorry about the breakdown on your high speed rail. Going midway with your conventional train you got in later. Glad you didn’t have to worry about any connections! It happened to us from Tier Germany going to Paris.

Saw a 7-11 sign and an old Kodak film store in photo👍👍 Forgot about SARS then!

Denise😊

• Like 5

Well, these hotels are always located right by the train station. Sometimes its hard to find a really good one but I mean,  if you were looking for a hotel for 2-3 days just to sleep in it, who cares how or where is it located? I think this hotel was worth it 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Well, these hotels are always located right by the train station. Sometimes its hard to find a really good one but I mean,  if you were looking for a hotel for 2-3 days just to sleep in it, who cares how or where is it located? I think this hotel was worth it 

Actually, it was just one night and it was almost worth it just for the internet termnal.

Roy

• Like 3

Good morning all, and thank you to Rich and Roy for the daily news.  I do want a mimosa with my lunch!  That's always a favourite on board, and we are looking forward to it a year from now!

We have the QM2 booked for a crossing a year from now, but I understand their drinks are much more expensive than HAL, so the mimosa may have to wait until we are on a dam ship.  At  least Cunard has finally acknowledged we are past customers, so we should get a bit of free internet!

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 7