The Daily for Friday Oct 23, 2020

Good morning all!

Like @ger_77 I love being the "event organizer" for our cruises, and can be a bit OCD about it too.  On our longer cruises I've taken up to 8-page spreadsheets.  We always know we don't have to follow them to the letter, but it's nice to have an idea of what we'd like to do and what's available.

I don't watch talk shows, we had pork last night (have no idea yet about tonight, I haven't had enough coffee yet 😉 ), love mimosas, and will pass on the red wine too.   🙂  Yes, it's very late for canning.  The stores don't even carry canning supplies around here this time of year. My favorite apples or applesauce (Gravenstein) isn't even available this late.   This year I did a fair amount of canning, but far, far from what I've done in the past.  Tried a few new things like pickled peppers and onions -- yum.

Yesterday we had new/extra insulation put in our attic and crawl space. Our house is 26 now and the builder put in the minimum back then.  Like many others, our house is definitely getting more attention than usual these days.  This was the latest in a string of improvements during Covid.  It's kind of interesting watching the huge hose suck out the old insulation and the smaller hose put new insulation in.  For the attic they had to bring the hose in through an upstairs bathroom, run it across the floor (they were wonderful about covering every inch with plastic where they were working) and up into the attic through one of the bedrooms.  

insulation.jpg

insulation 2.jpg

Good morning all and thanks Rich for the daily.   Interesting celebration days, menu and drink selection.  I am afraid that today might be the last of our warm days for the year, it’s downhill towards cold from here on.   My best to everyone, take care and be safe.

Hello everyone.

Love the Daily Report.

I finished my canning (pickles, relish and jam) months ago.  Love that quote.

Congrats Millie, you're great!

Prayers for everyone.  And a clink of the wine glass for every celebration.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

I'm back from the salon and feeling all refreshed.  Enjoy your pampering today @Seasick Sailor

I wouldn't mind a mimosa for lunch today, too?  Where's that bar waiter?

For all who are doing home improvements and upkeep, it's a great way to stay occupied while we wait to get back at sea.  Do we have any pics before and after of Joy's dishwasher/cabinet reversal?  That must have been a bit of work to relocate the electrical and plumbing involved, even if only for a couple of feet distance.  

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

For all who are doing home improvements and upkeep, it's a great way to stay occupied while we wait to get back at sea.  Do we have any pics before and after of Joy's dishwasher/cabinet reversal?  That must have been a bit of work to relocate the electrical and plumbing involved, even if only for a couple of feet distance.  

I do have pictures but need to grab my cell phone to post them. Be back in a minute. And yes, it was ridiculously expensive..

They still have to add the tile under the dishwasher but will do it when the corner piece of cabinet comes in.

0929200918_HDR.jpg

1021201005_HDR.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
add on

After a very stormy night full of torrential rain and lightening strikes, today's quote fits me to a tee as I deal with mopping up from a never before leaking doorwall. But, instead, I will count blessings as our Fire Deparment's quick action last night saved the 1891 home of our town's founder from a lightening ignited fire.

And, with our last HAL refund received yesterday and with nothing booked into the future, the quote fits my mood. But, instead, I will reflect on our many wonderful voyages on HAL's blue hull beauties.

The pictures are from a decade ago this week as we sailed from Montreal to Ft Lauderdale aboard the (sigh) Maasdam.

In Perce', the stores were festooned with Maasdam recognitions as she was the last ship to leave The Maritimes that season. And, that cruise's final sunset reminds me that today's continuing rain will eventually turn to sunshine just as we will eventually return to those blue hulls sailing the seas...

100_1980.JPG

100_2058.JPG

33 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I do have pictures but need to grab my cell phone to post them. Be back in a minute. And yes, it was ridiculously expensive..

They still have to add the tile under the dishwasher but will do it when the corner piece of cabinet comes in.

0929200918_HDR.jpg

1021201005_HDR.jpg

Sooo much better!   I can believe this wasn't a cheap project with the rates craftsmen get for electrical and plumbing work.  

51 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

0929200918_HDR.jpg

1021201005_HDR.jpg

Lovely!

18 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks Rich and Roy! 

@cat shepard  some of these wines I would be nearly Millie’s age, I want to drink them now,”. Lol!  

@rafinmd you should have bought the kilt!  DH took his one time but it needed his own suitcase😂

image.jpeg

Don't forget, I would have needed to carry it on my back 3/4 of the way around the world!

Roy

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Thank you for the Care list Roy, and you can take my book club friend off the list as I saw on FB that she isn’t ill any longer.  I do appreciate your concern and keeping up the list, it really means a lot. 

Pork sounds really good but we just had pork chops so we will have something else. Pizza sounds really yummy right now. 

Joy, what a crazy configuration for a dishwasher.  I can’t believe the builder would think it would be okay like that. Anyway, great improvement!  Makes me think about my SIL (the one who had Covid, BTW) who had to make some changes in her kitchen after they moved in. There was a bookshelf on the end of the island that just didn’t make sense. Also she had ordered pots and pans drawers and got tiny drawers. I know that the bookshelf has been taken care of but not sure about the drawers. 

I love Mimosas!  I usually only have them on a cruise and have to admit that I only have one at breakfast, after all I’m on vacation, right?  But nothing is better than a Mimosa with eggs Benedict. 

Have a great day everyone!

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sooo much better!   I can believe this wasn't a cheap project with the rates craftsmen get for electrical and plumbing work.  

And the costs associated with removing and reinstalling the countertop. It’s good you had a finished end on the now end cabinet.  It looks really nice, and now functional.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

.   🙂  Yes, it's very late for canning.  The stores don't even carry canning supplies around here this time of year. My favorite apples or applesauce (Gravenstein) isn't even available this late.   This year I did a fair amount of canning, but far, far from what I've done in the past.  Tried a few new things like pickled peppers and onions --

The word around here is that people are stalking up on canning supplies and they went the way of TP some months back. Especially the non-reusable lids.  I haven’t tried getting any as I have a couple of boxes I have used for many years.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
21 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

The word around here is that people are stalking up on canning supplies and they went the way of TP some months back. Especially the non-reusable lids.  I haven’t tried getting any as I have a couple of boxes I have used for many years.

I wondered about that.  Earlier in the season here when I needed lids they were hard to find!  Thankfully I had a lot too, but not quite enough for everything. Re-useable lids, I've never seen those! They have a safe seal every time?

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Rich. Fun Daily today. Thank you for taking the time to bring us happiness!

So, couldn't decide what to make last night for dinner and finally settled on a pork tenderloin roast. 

Tonight will be a pot roast in the crock-pot with all sorts of veggies. Going to get it ready soon as I post.

Ann..Sappy, racy, iron spine.. who reviews these wines? Sheesh. 

Ann and Denise, hope you both have a beautiful weekend. Denise, is Paisley going to be with you and David?

Thanks summer and Roy for your additions. Roy, I saw Millie on the news as well. Good for her and will toast to her tonight.

St. Louis: I am going for a haircut this afternoon too. We have our own private rooms and wear our masks.

National Canning Day:

Yes, this is the real thing. You can buy it on Amazon, or can make your own...

Amazon.com: Creamed Possum in Coon Fat Gravy Garnished with Sweet Potatoes  (Gag Can): Everything Else

God bless our Dailyites, have a great weekend. Please be safe and stay healthy.

Hey I wonder if this is a staple at the Possum Lodge? That is if you know who Red Green is? 🙂

49 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

And the costs associated with removing and reinstalling the countertop. It’s good you had a finished end on the now end cabinet.  It looks really nice, and now functional.

You're right!  If the countertop had to be removed, then what happens to the backsplash?  It would just go on and on, wouldn't it?

Happy Friday everyone! Thanks for all the posts to read. DH is waiting for supper. It's hamburgers tonight and it somehow got to be 6:00 here. When we're home, we don't do the 8:15 late seating. 😉

No canning here, but my bonus daughter makes the best dill pickles. It's what we ask for whenever we are doing a family get-together.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

15 hours ago, richwmn said:

today is Event Organizers Day, TV Talk Show Host Day, and National Canning Day

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."
        -- Joe Walsh

Joe Walsh in action with the Eagles, one of the best rock bands in history! RIP Glenn Frey!

Edited by Copper10-8
8 hours ago, lindaler said:

I found this postcard from the old Statendam. Cancelation is from the Canal Zone in 1969. Card sounds like it was a long trip but fun. 

8BE7D4B5-BC6A-49D1-BCD6-B9E52CF3AE77.jpeg

4138006A-4825-4315-9A07-36F060A0278F.jpeg

I remember sailing on that ship!!!! Wow.... brings back memories.