Video of Westerdam, Volendam and Zaandam laid up in Tor Bay

sppunk

I follow a boat reviewer Aquaholic on YouTube and he is out for a ride in Tor Bay and circles around several ships - notably Westerdam, Volendam and Zaandam (QM2 and two P&O ships earlier). 

One thing's for sure - these blue-hull beauties need paint stat. The Volendam's white around the 3/4 aft name area is badly oxidized! 

YouTube link starting at the Westerdam ...

Edited by sppunk
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, sppunk said:

One thing's for sure - these blue-hull beauties need paint stat. The Volendam's white around the 3/4 aft name area is badly oxidized! 

I thought that Zaandam and Volendam where looking a bit drab until I scrolled back and saw QM2. Wow, she looks like a real rust bucket.  Must be the blue hulls show the oxidization, salt and rust more than the lighter coloured hulls.

Thanks for posting the link.

Edited by VMax1700

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

IO thought that Zaandam and Volendam where looking a bit drab until I scrolled back and saw QM2. Wow, she looks like a real rust bucket.  Must be the blue hulls show the oxidization, salt and rust more than the lighter coloured hulls.

Thanks for posting the link.

No joke! Thought the exact same with the QM2. The P&O ships looked a bit fresher, but could be a mixture of lighting and just how long it's been since they were touched up pre-shutdown. 

3 hours ago, sppunk said:

No joke! Thought the exact same with the QM2. The P&O ships looked a bit fresher, but could be a mixture of lighting and just how long it's been since they were touched up pre-shutdown. 

The Westerdam didn't look that great either..

On 10/23/2020 at 7:49 PM, JMAUST said:

How many crew would be on board maintaining these HAL ships?

I would guess there's only a skeleton crew aboard keeping the lights on and the ship manned but because people = money, little else has been happening on board.  You can see a small bit of exhaust at the stacks meaning something is running for power if nothing else, APUs maybe?

5 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for posting the video, our first cruise was on the Volendam, then several more on her, could see "our" big balcony.

Felt sad, thinking will we ever cruise again.

We did three cruises on the Volendam - one to NZ and two to Asia.  Loved the ship and sad too that we may never sail on her again.  Our first cruise was on the Zaandam - that was the cruise that got us hooked.  Hopefully, one day........

• Like 1

One thing for sure - the 2 P & O ships have got to be the ugliest vessels on the seas. A classic case of function over form, whereas the HAL ships at least look like ships !

the QM2 just looks like a classic Atlantic liner!

• Like 1