Azamara pricing South africa Jan 2022

procter

Hi there,

Just wondering if amybody can expain the catch.

A TV channel in UK is offering on Jan 27 departure as follows

Flight from UK and return hopefully   

4 days hotel in Cape town including 1 day safari

12 Nights continent suite £4099  Not bad for azamara with normal deposit £80 

Azamara are offering 12 night cruise only £4014.

probably large standard deposit also non refundable 

what am I missing 

1 hour ago, procter said:

Hi there,

what am I missing 

I wouldn't think there is a catch! Many agencies offer such packages in all cruise regions, sometimes it's a no brainer. 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, procter said:

Hi there,

what am I missing 

Hi Proctor, if you love it book it. It's a remarkable deal.

4 hours ago, hamrag said:

I wouldn't think there is a catch! Many agencies offer such packages in all cruise regions, sometimes it's a no brainer. 😉

Indeed they do.

The only catch, if it is a catch, is that you take whatever flights they arrange.

There are not usually any alterations allowed, although on occasion we have been able to negotiate our preferred flight for a small extra charge.

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And Cape Town is not one of the best hubs for non-stop air travel. 

No problem for Procter, direct flights from the UK and a choice of carriers but as Norn Iron says you have no choice and if you prefer business class they ask for a far higher price difference than you’d expect 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

...The only catch, if it is a catch, is that you take whatever flights they arrange.

There are not usually any alterations allowed, although on occasion we have been able to negotiate our preferred flight for a small extra charge.

That's true, I do recall on one of our cruises a couple with such package requiring to be up and ready to debark at 4 or 5am to be bussed to the airport for their early flight to London with 2 stops. I think we were in Istanbul with the ship docked there for the final day before debarking the following day.

We self booked, and had a direct flight home to Scotland at a civilised time albeit with a budget carrier. We had a leisurely breakfast before leaving the ship, with taxi to airport after 9am.

Sounds very attractive (subject to Covid) and with no time difference for UK travellers one of the better long haul journeys to undertake.

On the Occasions we’ve been, BA was the only carrier flying direct to Cape Town.  I believe Thomas Cook introduced direct flights before their unfortunate demise but not sure if there is now an alternative to BA?   
As the years pass, convenient flight times (and routes) become more important to us when considering booking a holiday.

A lovely itinerary for you to consider.

Regards 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royallondon said:

Sounds very attractive (subject to Covid) and with no time difference for UK travellers one of the better long haul journeys to undertake.

On the Occasions we’ve been, BA was the only carrier flying direct to Cape Town.  I believe Thomas Cook introduced direct flights before their unfortunate demise but not sure if there is now an alternative to BA?   
As the years pass, convenient flight times (and routes) become more important to us when considering booking a holiday.

Regards 

We have used KLM it means a change in Amsterdam but they have loads of good connections to UK regional airports.

• Like 1

Virgin fly to Cape Town from London, South African Airways may also return to the route post covid

As Bloodaxe says anyone needing a regional connection in the UK might go KLM, Air France or Qatar (yes it’s only an hour longer via Doha but a fantastic experience) so still just two flights as we are for anything intercontinental and mid Europe if your avoiding Ryanair. When direct flights are something you rarely get these hopper flights to a European gateway are the norm. 
Appreciate it might be something people in other countries see as an issue but it’s our norm so not relevant- and something else more unique to the UK and European markets.  

Edited by uktog

6 hours ago, royallondon said:

Regards 

There is a UK time difference. South African time is one or two hours ahead of UK time, depending on the time of year. 

Today Saturday 24th October it is one hour ahead of British Sumner Time, starting tomorrow it will be two hours of GMT.

Edited by longton
Forgot something

When we went to Capetown, KLM only had one flight a day from Amsterdam.  Our JFK-AMS flight was cancelled, so we missed the KLM flight.  After a 7 hour delay at JFK we were rerouted Delta JFK-LHR, 9+ hour layover, then Virgin LHR-JNB and SAA JNB-CPT.  We lost a day, and our luggage (which went to Amsterdam without us) was rifled and pilfered.  Cape Town is lovely, but that experience did raise the agita level dramatically!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, royallondon said:

Indeed, convenient flight times and routes do become more important as the years pass! ☺️

• Like 3

Thanks for all comments.

My main concern was that a £3000 price for 5 Cruises on the belt smacks of some fairly extreme price cuts.

By the  time you factor flights   £500 

3 nights hotel   £500

travel comission 10%?

£1300

you are in the realm of fire sales some 16 months out.

We did same cruise last year and I would not like to say how much that cost but we did fly first.

I have just searched for that cruise and its an absolute joke from that company that has caused so many of us grief.  The cruise is for 8th February 2021 when Azamara Journey will still be tucked up in Glasgow.  Yes - it was the same as you stated, flights, hotel, safari etc.

I think it is disgusting they are even advertising this way.  I have redacted who they are but this is a screenshot I took just now

Screenshot 2020-10-25 at 12.37.48.png

Uktog, thanks for this but these prices are for 2022 so similar to 2021 and in view of 2021 certain cancellations I am surprised at 2022 discounts as I guess most 2021 ers would be wanting to transfer to 2022. 

Ps would probably fly ba ex lhr ncl or Emirates via dxb.

new log in as on different device normally procter

Edited by Brian967

Thanks. 
My point is today that agency is advertising cruises for 2021 that you can click and take all the way through for booking even though the cruise will not happen. 
The same agency that still owes guests refunds. 
Even if 2022 is a bargain caveat caveat emptor. I’d stay away

Procter I don’t think it’s a fire sale. I think it’s erroneous pricing by the agency 

• Like 3

Obviously not aware of refund issues on current voyages but if we are still in same boat this time next year re corona I doubt if there will be Any cruise lines. 

Pricing must have been validated by Azamaa for TV release but thanks for tip. 

16 hours ago, Brian967 said:

Obviously not aware of refund issues on current voyages but if we are still in same boat this time next year re corona I doubt if there will be Any cruise lines. 

Pricing must have been validated by Azamaa for TV release but thanks for tip. 

I suggest you look through the threads about refund issues for UK guests especially though not exclusively from online agencies.  They were paid by the cruiseline but did not pass the refunds over promptly - many waited 5-6 months and I know some still wait 

Then look at the posts regarding lift and shift issues (asking for additional deposits they should not) and also problems applying future cruise certificates to existing bookings (agency no longer honouring original pricing if FCC is applied) 

We all want there to be cruiselines but when several UK agencies have treated guests so badly, confidence is rock bottom. All these deals are to massage the agencies cash flow not the cruiseline at this point in time Sad, but true

• Like 4

23 hours ago, uktog said:

I have just searched for that cruise and its an absolute joke from that company that has caused so many of us grief.  The cruise is for 8th February 2021 when Azamara Journey will still be tucked up in Glasgow.  Yes - it was the same as you stated, flights, hotel, safari etc.

I think it is disgusting they are even advertising this way.  I have redacted who they are but this is a screenshot I took just now

Screenshot 2020-10-25 at 12.37.48.png

I have just spotted this cruise now discounted to £2274 for an inside cabin. If I had the time I would love to ring the TA to see what pack of lies they would tell me about cruise actually sailing, its disgusting.

• Like 3

Well, it's a cold wet miserable day here, so I have joined the search to pass some time . . .

Found not the one above, but THREE cruises on Journey in December 2020 through January 2021 ! ! !

How many innocent people might be duped?

Criminal I think.

However, they are advertised "on request" . . . when looking further, they appear to be all sold out . . .

Edited by Baynanno1
additional information
  • Like 3

This is very disappointing to see. I found these cruises for sale on this particular agents website, although admittedly I didn't drill down to book.  Prices however for all cabin categories are listed on the headline pages. Meanwhile I am still awaiting a refund from them that was promised two months ago.

I think we all have to tread carefully with who we get quotes from at the moment. I suspect with all that's going on, the accuracy of websites of some is not top priority. Find a reputable travel agent if you can!

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

This is very disappointing to see. I found these cruises for sale on this particular agents website, although admittedly I didn't drill down to book.  Prices however for all cabin categories are listed on the headline pages. Meanwhile I am still awaiting a refund from them that was promised two months ago.

I think we all have to tread carefully with who we get quotes from at the moment. I suspect with all that's going on, the accuracy of websites of some is not top priority. Find a reputable travel agent if you can!

Phil 

If I was booking I think I would avoid all agents and do a direct booking for the next couple of years until it all settles down. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, uktog said:

If I was booking I think I would avoid all agents and do a direct booking for the next couple of years until it all settles down. 

Me too. More control at this time. I'm just sad that I lost my contact at cruiseline some while ago and they is why I went away from direct booking and started using agents. I'm afraid everyone is up against it at the moment, not least travel agencies. 

Phil 

• Like 1