Petition for restart of Australian cruising

I just read an interesting article on ABC News by Daniel Ziffer -

"Melbourne crushed the second wave.  Opening up before the spread is crushed doesn't make economic sense because it forgets a key tenet of human behaviour: confidence."

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I don't see any need for a petition. When it's safe, in the governments opinion,  it will restart.

If it becomes safe and the government digs in against cruising, then it's time for petitions.

The problem is that if we leave it to our governments this will be the last place in the world to get cruising back again.

I think it would be good to have a slow start, like they have been doing in Italy. One ship per cruise line, running at half capacity, strict conditions, doing short cruises to nowhere to start with, then maybe ports in the same state, then interstate ports, then NZ and the South Pacific if the time is right for bubble.

The time to petition IS now, as it will take several months to get it up and running. 

• Like 1

Julie, how often does a Change.Org petion have any success? I would have thought that the person who started this would petition the Federal Government as in the case of the petition to have a Royal Commission into media ownership in Australia. Perhaps that would have more chance of success.

Leigh

12 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Julie, how often does a Change.Org petion have any success? I would have thought that the person who started this would petition the Federal Government as in the case of the petition to have a Royal Commission into media ownership in Australia. Perhaps that would have more chance of success.

Leigh

The site has this: "Steve Whelan started this petition to Scott Morrison (Prime Minister of Australia)". Not getting a huge response so far. Just over 100 last time I looked.

Edited by By The Bay

9 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The site has this: "Steve Whelan started this petition to Scott Morrison (Prime Minister of Australia)".

Thank you By the Bay, I did see that but my question still stands. How often are Change.Org petitions successful? I assumed, perhaps incorrectly that if the petition went to Parliament, it would have more chance of success.

I just answered my own question - did some Google research and found that evidently that out of the millions of Change.Org petitions few could be considered a win.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

The key thing is it's a start. Sure, it may not be successful this time around but hopefully it will get some notice among the government that people are wanting to cruise again.

If nobody shows any interest in getting cruising started again the government will just put it on the backburner again, and again, and again.

We, as cruisers, have to start being heard sooner rather than later, otherwise cruising could be delayed for years.

• Like 1

For any government, state or federal, re-starting big boat cruises would by an extremely courageous decision (ref: Sir Humphrey).

Media will run every Ruby Princess story on a loop. Focus likely to be on bringing in thousands and thousands of crew, especially given the numbers of positives that keep appearing on cargo ships on west and east coasts.

It is a no win for a government.

• Like 2

A few observations/opinions though of course anyone may disagree:

1. I'm not sure there would be much appetite for cruising from the usual punters if the hoops they have to jump though are like the Coral Expeditions resumption - initial health questionnaire, own questionnaire, doctor's questionnaire (7 - 10 days before cruise), 7 days isolation pre-cruise, COVID-19 test 72 hours before boarding, arrival in departure port 24 hours before boarding for check in and confirmation of negative test result.  

2. The issues (still continuing) with crews of ships currently in Australian waters will mean government is loathe to open up the waters to larger ships with higher crew numbers, many from hot spot regions.

3. Early cruise resumptions in Europe have not been a total success with several positive cases being identified. 

4. I am sure the cruise industry is lobbying so don't really see the point of a petition. 

• Like 3

House of Representative - petitions

www.aph.gov.au 

For Commonwealth matters, anyone can submit a petition to Parliament.  

For State matters, anyone can submit a petition to the appropriate state Parliament. 

e petitions make the process much easier, than paper petitions.  

"Petition to Restart the Australian cruising industry" should have been presented to the Commonwealth Parliament, not the PM.   This petition is too broad for success.  

Parliamentarians take notice of petitions, if there are enough signatures on the petition.  After all people who sign petitions are voters also!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I feel like for a petition to work it has to be supported by the industry🤔. Otherwise it just looks like the whinging of privileged travellers and probably won't be taken seriously😳

I feel that a petition by ordinary people like us would be taken more seriously than a petition from the industry.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel that a petition by ordinary people like us would be taken more seriously than a petition from the industry.

The way I see it travel is already seen as a luxury activity and cruising as it doesn't serve any practical purpose comes of very superfluous. I think if you only have cruisers begging to restart the industry it will be looked at like that news article that talked about the hardships of people who had to downgrade suburbs from Watsons Bay to Double Bay. At least if it is supported by businesses or employees who rely on cruising it will give it some credibility to the idea that cruising has benefit to society as a whole  and it is not just a petition for cruisers who want a holiday.

Petitions don't need to be supported by anyone.  They just require a Principal Petitioner. 

However, a petition would be strengthened by as broad a case as possible, e.g. future passengers, employment through tourism, entertainment, suppliers, etc.

Publicity increases numbers of petitioners.  

Edited by MMDown Under

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, it's not clickbait. I recognised the name of the person who started the petition from other forums.

I meant more in the terms of effectiveness. ScoMo (Government) won't change his/their mind no matter how many sigs are on it.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I meant more in the terms of effectiveness. ScoMo (Government) won't change his/their mind no matter how many sigs are on it.

Agree, our international borders are closed for 1 to 2 yrs, expect maybe for Kiwis, but only if they let us in to the Shaky Isles.

Come on Jacinta, open them pearly gates.

• Like 1