Haven Upgrade

Robb

Ordinarily the bidding for upgrade program starts somewhere around the 80 days before sailing.

You receive an email invitation - log on to your NCL account - look to see what is available/offered

and bid away.

Now at any anytime you can call NCL and broker barter* an upgrade -

* booking thru a TA Travel Agent you would use that method for communicating your offer/interest -

If you are booking through a TA (not a Big Box retailer) hopefully the TA will have connections to

make the deal even better or easier to negotiate.

Depending on what you have booked and what you want to upgrade to NCL may be interested in

what you propose.

If the cabin you have booked is in high demand and selling for the rack rate you may have a better

chance than if in a less desirable cabin.

Balcony or Club Suite is within the range of the bidding program (2 categories up from your present position).

An OV Ocean View or Inside would not be eligible to bid for a Suite or Haven but NCL could

entertain a direct offer.

NCL may not be interested in an offer for upgrade weeks in advance of sailing - simply NCL would

rather wait to see how the sales are developing and then make the deal.

There is always the possibility of guest cancellations resulting in something becoming available.

Also beware when doing an upgrade deal - it may be a one time deal - no further upgrades or changes.

Popular specific cabins DOS OS and prime location Suites (Haven) are apt to be sold out months

in advance leaving a variety of cabins left - those at the end of a passageway near high traffic area.

You did not note the ship you would be sailing on and what you have booked already.

With the number of your posts here at CC you have been around the horn - the answer you asked

for is - - -

80 days before sailing - by email invitation - bidding thru your NCL account

Note if you don't receive the invitation you can still entertain offers to upgrade.

Good Luck - I have scored 4 out of 5 times - when cruising resumes there will be a lot more variables

to the mix.

• Like 1

why dont you cancel the cabin you already booked (assuming final payment is not yet due) and just book the haven directly. usually ncl wont take a low ball bid on a haven suite. also, if you want a cruise middle to later in 2021. watch for offers.  last month, they ran a 15% off offer for past cruisers, latitude members, and i upgraded to the aft suite with master bedroom and the april cruise from athens, and i upgraded a 2 bedroom suite on the jade  july from amsterdam to copenhagen. to a 2 bedroom suite inthe haven area. originally the cost of the haven 2 bedroom was a difference of $1200 per person. me, my wife and our grandson. with the promotion the total cost came out to be the same price so it was a no-brainer to upgrade to the haven

3 hours ago, Robb said:

How many days before a cruise can you make a bid on a Haven cabin?  Thanks       😀

Previously around 80 days prior to departure. There are only a few Haven cabins available for upgrade with a large number of passengers eligible to bid. So, a minimum bid will not win. And you will be waiting until 48 hours prior to departure before you know that you were unsuccessful in bidding. 

I’ve had two upgrades to the Haven with minimum bids, you have got to choose your cruise carefully and the choice of cabin you book, if you choose a basic room it’s not so attractive to move on, example on the Baltic cruise we booked a spa balcony, very attractive in cold weather.

You have to do your research, monitor what haven rooms are available at what price.

We now just book the Haven, with covid it’s more exclusive with less people.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this a while back and got several nice responses, all indicating the upgrade bidding would be at 80 days.  With all the covid mess going on I understand a lot of things are not as they have been in regards to bookings, etc.   We are now at 73 days and have still heard nothing.  The cruise has yet to be cancelled so I am hoping it will actually sail-late January.

Anyone have any ideas changes in the upgrade process?   Thanks so much

13 minutes ago, Robb said:

I posted this a while back and got several nice responses, all indicating the upgrade bidding would be at 80 days.  With all the covid mess going on I understand a lot of things are not as they have been in regards to bookings, etc.   We are now at 73 days and have still heard nothing.  The cruise has yet to be cancelled so I am hoping it will actually sail-late January.

Anyone have any ideas changes in the upgrade process?   Thanks so much

With a reduction in the amount of cruisers I doubt there will be any "upgrades" or bidding done.  Having said that I don't have any special info, just my guess...