I had such wonderful food on our first cruise! Such a fun time too before all the gimmicks!! Well it was yummy while it lasted - instead we pay for a rising tide bar - up and down - up and down, that is impressive! LOL!

Seriously, I always think I might remember our first cruise wrong that but then I actually get my feet onboard and something in me knows somethings been RADICALLY SHIFTED NOT FOR THE BETTER! I’ll start by asking why we can’t all come together and ask for better from head office?? I've never tried to turn a blind eye I may have to give it a try again but honestly, the Windjammer and main dining room have gone too far DOWNHILL!! I'm at home now and it definitely bugs me that I can get better food out of a can than some things in the buffet!

But we can pay extra for better food, right?? Truth is, when I look at Princess and Carnival, I see better option anyway as obviously I look at the competition, and I have had enough of french fries and mac n' cheese pitched as gourme. But YES SO FRUSTRATING Carnival vs RCL.

31ACjevz+lL.jpg

09-161_1_.jpg

I remember sailing some 20/30 years ago and looking forward to our annual cruise so I could dine on real prime rib, rack of lamb, cold water lobster, nice thick pork chops, great salads, wonderful appetizers, and bread/deserts made by onboard personnel.     

If one does not like the food on RC then one should try another cruise line.  A thread on CC certainly isn’t going to change the quality of food on board. Instead of wishing RCL might want return to something it was you want to broaden your horizon and look further. Take your cruise dollar to where your appetite will be happy. 

Here is a link to Sea Dream’s Cuisine experience to which should please you.

https://seadream.com/lifestyle/cuisine/

A screen shot of their food philosophy.  If you do not want a rising tide bar perhaps this should interest you.

59313661-C28E-4666-BEE6-D17FEB48033D.thumb.jpeg.ae6fd8f3d3974b584e6b3dbef92f1bda.jpeg

I am following a couple of bloggers currently sailing on SeaDream and this is what they are being served. Maybe it is time to look elsewhere.

2F9B4DEF-826A-49F9-8C5E-94E37D9DF72C.thumb.jpeg.b41de0e6d702b8c5b0a1f251759e3c73.jpeg

0E8185ED-C081-4D16-ADF4-DBCCA77E8A6F.thumb.jpeg.895262b29e3b34b8fa37bc48cb11565f.jpeg

D0654839-149A-4053-86E1-FB2E93A1ED3A.thumb.jpeg.4e597f40f9e514761a2eaf4812bfec3b.jpeg

042342A4-F96F-4FC4-9A65-C6CA9AC28C55.thumb.jpeg.bfb0fcd5aa71a137ea581b63bde8e54f.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

If one does not like the food on RC then one should try another cruise line.  A thread on CC certainly isn’t going to change the quality of food on board. Instead of wishing RCL might want return to something it was you want to broaden your horizon and look further. Take your cruise dollar to where your appetite will be happy. 

OP you spend so much time on CC complaining that Royal is not up to your standards. Most of us are present in this forum because we like cruising on Royal. It seems like perhaps you are trolling us?

24 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

OP you spend so much time on CC complaining that Royal is not up to your standards. Most of us are present in this forum because we like cruising on Royal. It seems like perhaps you are trolling us?

I agree the OP deserves better than Royal can provide.  Based on previous threads, I thought the OP was headed to Princess. 

Like Covid, there currently isn't a vaccine for trolls.  All you can do is social distance yourself and use the ignore button.  

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure the OP is willing to pay $500 pppd rates to get that though.

I heard HAL has very good food. Just a older crowd. Have a older friend who loves HAL. 

I like the rcl shows and salads, not much of a beef person. I rarely eat even half of my meat at dinner, so I dont care. Maybe OP should try HAL though if food is that important. Or get the dining package.

34 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I heard HAL has very good food. Just a older crowd. Have a older friend who loves HAL. 

I like the rcl shows and salads, not much of a beef person. I rarely eat even half of my meat at dinner, so I dont care. Maybe OP should try HAL though if food is that important. Or get the dining package.

We don't complain about the food on RCCL.  But I will say we did our first HAL cruise last March and the food was clearly better.  Across the board in every venue and outlet.  And I'm sure it is generally an older crowd, but surprisingly that specific cruise it was not.  In fact the Serenade cruises we did prior to that were clearly an older crowd than we saw on HAL.

Edited by bouhunter
6 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

But we can pay extra for better food, right?? Truth is, when I look at Princess and Carnival, I see better option anyway as obviously I look at the competition, and I have had enough of french fries and mac n' cheese pitched as gourme. But YES SO FRUSTRATING Carnival vs RCL.

31ACjevz+lL.jpg

09-161_1_.jpg

Now youre complaining about the brochures🤔

Fine. Your complaint is the sides. The only side in the upper picture is a grilled lemon. 🤣🤣

As far as the mac n cheese at Chops, it's heavenly.

Here's a hint. If you want traction in this discussion,  post customer photos, then we can talk😉

Edited by John&LaLa
6 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

I had such wonderful food on our first cruise! Such a fun time too before all the gimmicks!! Well it was yummy while it lasted - instead we pay for a rising tide bar - up and down - up and down, that is impressive! LOL!

Seriously, I always think I might remember our first cruise wrong that but then I actually get my feet onboard and something in me knows somethings been RADICALLY SHIFTED NOT FOR THE BETTER! I’ll start by asking why we can’t all come together and ask for better from head office?? I've never tried to turn a blind eye I may have to give it a try again but honestly, the Windjammer and main dining room have gone too far DOWNHILL!! I'm at home now and it definitely bugs me that I can get better food out of a can than some things in the buffet!

You definitely like to complain about Royal on Cruise Critic. If you feel you have a legitimate issue, write an email to the appropriate person in Royal and move on to another line. Complaining on Cruise Critic accomplishes nothing. There are plenty of other cruise lines you can cruise on and hopefully you can find one that you are happy with. 

Is it possible that food preference and taste could be evaluated by the person who dines on it?

Just saying.

I prefer Wendys over McDonalds.  After all Wendys Hamburgers are freshly frozen.

So that being said, the OP is entitled to their opinion.

Even though,   I enjoy the choices and selections on RCI.

Yea I opened the thread.

MY bad.

HHMMMM

What next?

Liquor selections, shows, 

Next thing you know It will be said I am loyal to Royal...

Well I am.

Stay safe.

7 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

You're so funny.  Things are getting so boring around here and you are providing us some laughs - thanks.

Everyone likes to reminisce about the food 20 or so years ago.

Back before specialty restaurants were in vogue or needed. Gone are the 5 star chefs like Michele Roux and the true 5 course dinners in the MDR.

Times have changed and we have learned to adjust to many things over the last few decades and cruising is just part of that evolution.

Of course it was much better then, but those who remember what it was like have to admit it isn't all that bad today..

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Fine. Your complaint is the sides. The only side in the upper picture is a grilled lemon. 🤣🤣

Here's a hint. If you want traction in this discussion,  post customer photos, then we can talk😉

Well... the brochures are not far off. Unless CCL has declined rapidly since I sailed the Horizon in December 2018, CCL's food is and has been better than RCI's, (flavor, variety, presentation) ... in my opinion. Steak house to Steak house, hands down Fahrenheit 555 beats Chops Grille.

That being said, I have never not been able to find something I like no matter where I choose to dine on a cruise ship.

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Photos can be shot to enhance anything. When's the last time the food you had looked exactly how it looked in their ads?

My guess is never.

Looks are nice but taste is what counts and I think food has deteriorated caused by buying cheaper materials in order to increase the bottom line. It's edible, but there is nothing I've had on the ship that I would pay for if it was served in a land based restaurant, and that includes the specialty restaurants.

Well things are rarely perfect. Last time in chops my steak was divine but the lobster was mush. Still enjoyed the meal.

Tbh maybe was the novelty but enjoyed the food on ncl a little more. 

Never went hungry on any cruise. Love having someone else cook.

It seems mass market cruising isn't for you.  Cruising is far less expensive than it was 20 to 30 years ago.  You can still get the experience of 20 to 30 years by picking the right cruise line and paying a price like you did 20 to 30 years ago when adjusted for inflation.   

I personally don't want to see Royal raise their prices to deliver that level of food included in the basic cruise fare.  When I want that I book a luxury cruise line.  Most of the time all I want for the price that Royal charges is exactly what they provide today.