56 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Can’t get 5-Star quality food anywhere on RCL. You can get 5 courses though. 

But that's not what I asked😉

FWIW, there are very few places to get 5 star quality food anywhere

Edited by John&LaLa
1 hour ago, LorraineP said:

Can’t get 5-Star quality food anywhere on RCL. You can get 5 courses though. 

What exactly constitutes a food or meal as “5 star quality”? It is fairly relative and I’ve had food in 150 Central Park, Coastal Kitchen, and Golden Dining (Quantum Class Asia sailings)... that are on par or better than some of the top rated restaurants I’ve dined at in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and New York. If “5 star quality” means something thats rated by critics as being good... Although not advertised, Royal Caribbean does offer a Michelin Star rated dining experience at DaDong Wonderland on ships with Wonderland departing China. The food and service is on par with the actual restaurant, DaDong, that earned that Michelin Star... but with out the price tag.  

24 minutes ago, SkaterJasp said:

What exactly constitutes a food or meal as “5 star quality”? It is fairly relative and I’ve had food in 150 Central Park, Coastal Kitchen, and Golden Dining (Quantum Class Asia sailings)... that are on par or better than some of the top rated restaurants I’ve dined at in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and New York. If “5 star quality” means something thats rated by critics as being good... Although not advertised, Royal Caribbean does offer a Michelin Star rated dining experience at DaDong Wonderland on ships with Wonderland departing China. The food and service is on par with the actual restaurant, DaDong, that earned that Michelin Star... but with out the price tag.  

I have eaten in some of the better restaurants in NYC and they are way better than anything in rccl ,I did like 150cp but thought coastal kitchen was on par with a decent chili’s restaurant.

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

My understanding is that direct food cost is always calculated as a % of food revenue without taking into account of revenue from other departments. 

How do they calculate food revenue?  How much of cruise fare is allocated to food revenue?

20 minutes ago, George C said:

I have eaten in some of the better restaurants in NYC and they are way better than anything in rccl ,I did like 150cp but thought coastal kitchen was on par with a decent chili’s restaurant.

A 5 star restaurant will generally cost over $400 pp.  I don't think there are many, if any meals on cruise ships that will fall into that category, (maybe Queens Grill on Cunard?)

42 minutes ago, George C said:

There will always be places more expensive and better than anything you will find at sea, regardless of cruise lines... but at the same time, there are examples of Royal Caribbean food being better than some of the top rated restaurants on land. It all comes down to personal taste and preference. The point was that Royal Caribbean can hold its own in fine dining but to expect it each and every single time is unreasonable out of a company that is trying to cater to the masses. You can find good / top quality food, even if you are willing to pay for it. Coastal Kitchen, at times, can be pretty boring and just ok... but there are also times where the experience is amazingly good. 

Edited by SkaterJasp
17 minutes ago, mek said:

A 5 star restaurant will generally cost over $400 pp.  I don't think there are many, if any meals on cruise ships that will fall into that category, (maybe Queens Grill on Cunard?)

We’ve been lucky I suppose you could call it to eat in the Queens Grill on one cruise.

Yes very good food and maybe fine dining but not 5 star worth $400 pp in my option.

In fact didn’t go in on two evenings during the seven night cruise a little to pretentious we felt.

8 minutes ago, SkaterJasp said:

There will always be places more expensive and better than anything you will find at sea, regardless of cruise lines... but at the same time, there are examples of Royal Caribbean food being better than some of the top rated restaurants on land. It all comes down to personal taste and preference. The point was that Royal Caribbean can hold its own in fine dining but to expect it each and every single time is unreasonable out of a company that is trying to cater to the masses. You can find good / top quality food, even if you are willing to pay for it. Coastal Kitchen, at times, can be pretty boring and just ok... but there are also times where the experience is amazingly good. 

Very true.

The thing about Costal Kitchen is we had previously cruised on suite on Celebrity and there Luminae was just so much better than CK, for both food and service. Signed up for ultimate dinning on our next rccl cruise. 

18 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

But we can pay extra for better food, right?? Truth is, when I look at Princess and Carnival, I see better option anyway as obviously I look at the competition, and I have had enough of french fries and mac n' cheese pitched as gourme. But YES SO FRUSTRATING Carnival vs RCL.

31ACjevz+lL.jpg

09-161_1_.jpg

I have never seen french fries or mac n cheese in mdr on rcl.  Maybe kids menu?

Sounds like you should go with another cruiseline.  

Long story short the new cruise generation prefer an amusement park on board experience and carnival foods over itineraries and a luxury on board experience. There are other lines out there that offer better food and a more sophisticated ambiance.  Different choices depending what I want to experience will always trump any loyalty programs offered by resorts and cruise lines.  

Why go on a cruise if what you are looking for is a 5 star meal .

Just go to a good restaurant and save a few thousand bucks.

I dont mind cruise food at all , as its what i expect it to be .

Food is just a part of the overall experience of a cruise.

I dont do specialty dining either , as the standard offering is fine with me.

I can certainly afford to , but i look forward to going to the dining room.

14 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You need to look closer

Is it kids menu?  I have been on many cruises with rcl.  Usually do b2b2b sailings and never seen on the mdr menu.  Yes Giovanni's serves fries with filet mignon, most steakhouses do.

Never have I seen mac n cheese or fries for dinner in the MDR.

14 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Is it kids menu?  I have been on many cruises with rcl.  Usually do b2b2b sailings and never seen on the mdr menu.  Yes Giovanni's serves fries with filet mignon, most steakhouses do.

Never have I seen mac n cheese or fries for dinner in the MDR.

No the daily adult menu. Fries are offered with many entrees, there is a gourmet Mac and Cheese entree served one night 

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No the daily adult menu. Fries are offered with many entrees, there is a gourmet Mac and Cheese entree served one night 

Wow!  I have never noticed that.  My last sailing was 23 nights on serenade and 7 on allure for the month of january and my Dh says he doesnt remember seeing those items with entrees on our diner menus.  I guess we were enjoying all the other delicious entrees and deserts.

18 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

11 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wow!  I have never noticed that.  My last sailing was 23 nights on serenade and 7 on allure for the month of january and my Dh says he doesnt remember seeing those items with entrees on our diner menus.  I guess we were enjoying all the other delicious entrees and deserts.

I can't recall macaroni and cheese being served in the MDR, but it is one of the sides served in Chops. The Chops mac & cheese is usually pretty good. 

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have never seen french fries or mac n cheese in mdr on rcl.  Maybe kids menu?

Sounds like you should go with another cruiseline.  

Thats a picture from Chops, not MDR

1 hour ago, lr657 said:

I can't recall macaroni and cheese being served in the MDR, but it is one of the sides served in Chops. The Chops mac & cheese is usually pretty good. 

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Long story short the new cruise generation prefer an amusement park on board experience and carnival foods over itineraries and a luxury on board experience. There are other lines out there that offer better food and a more sophisticated ambiance.  Different choices depending what I want to experience will always trump any loyalty programs offered by resorts and cruise lines.  

Yes, that's TOTALLY how it is. I wasn't even complaining about the amusement park because I like SOME OF IT, you know?? At some point food just doesn't matter if people want the carnival foods. . . and an uncharged mac & cheese!

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

One of the most annoying topics in cruising. "I want the dining of 30 years ago, with the price of today".

Joebucks, seriously, it was actually 12 years ago and a lot has happen! And yeah, it wasn't 5 Star either back then but still two different WORLDS. I have never been on Sea Dream before but I bet it would be the best food we've EVER eaten!! Beautiful area too - feels like it could almost reset my soul! Honestly too expensive and my kid need something he would enjoy!!

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

In general, cruise lines are catering the the contemporary cruiser. The cruise lines constantly review the menu items that sell and those which are prepared and end up as fish food every week. Foods swimming in fat-laden sauces are being replaced by gluten-free, fat-free organic quinoa to cater to the next generation cruiser. It is the next generation cruiser that will sustain the industry for decades to come.

Seriously??

PR.gif