Royal Downgraded Food 2008 - 2020

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I don't get it. This is a corporate video, what do you expect they'll show. 🤣🤣🤣

And FWIW, it wasn't that impressive anyway. 

And they showed the same scene 3 times😉

No details on sides, no testimonials. 

You really need to try harder if you want to get folks on your side

I dont care if its a corporate video, in any case its a very nice one. I mean I haven't had a good steak in a very long time and I really wish to have one, exactly the one from this particular video. I am sure  its hella delicious

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Tsk, tsk, tsk.   Mixing your metaphors.

OP is a case study for well-mixed metaphors or mixaphors (new word) along with other malapropisms and just plain incoherent gibberish.  

Mixaphor is a new word for what happens when keyboard warriors and online trolls type faster than they think.

In keeping with the food theme of this thread, and to stay OT, as Frasier (who OP should have called first) would say about his mixed-up callers (substitute typing for calling):

🎶🎼I don't know what to do about those TOSSED SALADS!!!! and SCRAMBLED EGGS!!!!  they're "TYPING" again????...🎼. 🎶

Speaking of food....to put a plug in for the Royal Caribbean International Cookbook by Rudi Sodamin I received as part of the Chef's Table package years ago, it is a must-have for all those well-loved, time-tested dishes.  Chef Sodamin's culinary acumen shines throughout the pages.  I highly recommend the cookbook, especially now when most of us have a lot of down time.  It is available on Amazon or Ebay among other places.  He was so good Holland America stole him away.  Hope Corporate is reading this and they hire him back LOL 🤣

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Caribbean-International-Cookbook-Sodamin/dp/0847823822

4 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I dont care if its a corporate video, in any case its a very nice one. I mean I haven't had a good steak in a very long time and I really wish to have one, exactly the one from this particular video. I am sure  its hella delicious

Bone in rib eye on the BGE tomorrow night👍

Probably reverse sear with mesquite chunks

Edited by John&LaLa
10 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Yeah? Trying to look back at how things were reviewed and I completely disagree. And those are their words AFTER all the downgrades you are talking about!! They are not all positive, but yes, better than NOW.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?ShipID=83&action=ship&page=42

Really, more big changes are coming 2021 - 2030 if the cheer crowd doesn't put their foot in the sand!!

You are putting WAY too much importance on those reviews.

I've been on CC since the mid 90's when it was AOL and trust me, people were constantly complaining about all of the cutbacks starting in the early 2000's, (and even the late 90's in some cases.)

So you don't like Royal - that's OK, but let it rest.  It's not going to change - cruise lines have way too much on their plates right now - all they want to do is get their ships back up and running.

BTW - why do you list Princess and X as favorite lines?  I was under the impression you had only sailed on Royal.

13 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Umm, that is not how I judge food - but I'm sure half a dozen loyals here WANT IT TO BE! A few people majority, seriously??

I'm one of those people that can't help but read the reviews and sometimes it's a hard reality. Besides I can't just turn my taste buds off. I'm saying RCL is struggling to keep up - even up to NCL and Carnival - there's no question they are - but as long as people are fine with mac and cheese upgrades, RCL will keep the ferris wheel food coming!!

I have found that many Royal Caribbean passengers prefer comfort foods over specialty dishes. I can't believe how many put Johnny Rockets on such a high priority list even asking if it's included with the unlimited dining package. They have a family demographic so it makes sense that mac and cheese and french fries are featured. We sailed on Princess and Celebrity mostly. Their menu has gone down hill as well. I think Princess replace the beef medallions with a hamburger on the MDR menu.  NCL is the worst when it comes to food. You are forced to eat in a specialty restaurant if you don't want the included institutional food that's included in the price. Royal Caribbean is not the line I choose for food but in terms of entertainment it beats Princess and Celebrity hands down. On Anthem I found  the MDR food to be good but the service was terrible most nights. I was not impressed with the specialty restaurant menus and would only book them if offered a sizable discount. We ate in Jamie's with a 30% off discount. They offered us 50% off to come back a second time but we declined. Wonderland was a one and done deal. It was all presentation. Nothing offered was worthy of a second visit.

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

What steakhouse features fish as their opening clip for their video. 🤷‍♂️

Princess's Crown Grill/Sterling Steakhouse is on par with Outback or the Longhorn Steakhouse as far as food quality.   

Edited by Iamcruzin
52 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have found that many Royal Caribbean passengers prefer comfort foods over specialty dishes. I can't believe how many put Johnny Rockets on such a high priority list even asking if it's included with the unlimited dining package. They have a family demographic so it makes sense that mac and cheese and french fries are featured. We sailed on Princess and Celebrity mostly. Their menu has gone down hill as well. I think Princess replace the beef medallions with a hamburger on the MDR menu.  NCL is the worst when it comes to food. You are forced to eat in a specialty restaurant if you don't want the included institutional food that's included in the price. Royal Caribbean is not the line I choose for food but in terms of entertainment it beats Princess and Celebrity hands down. On Anthem I found  the MDR food to be good but the service was terrible most nights. I was not impressed with the specialty restaurant menus and would only book them if offered a sizable discount. We ate in Jamie's with a 30% off discount. They offered us 50% off to come back a second time but we declined. Wonderland was a one and done deal. It was all presentation. Nothing offered was worthy of a second visit.

Exactly - I either cruise on Royal for the itinerary, (and that does not include the Caribbean), or because I love the entertainment options on the Oasis class ships. I don't cruise on Royal for the food and in the case of Oasis class ships - the itinerary doesn't matter to me.

You are right about Princess - we sailed Alaska Sept. 2019 and while the food in the MDR was good, I was really disappointed with the buffet - so scaled back from what it used to be.

NCL food is terrible with the exception of the specialty restaurants, which are quite good.

X - while food is nothing like it used to be, they still do some things well.  We are Elite, and love the perks.

Edited by mek

Best meal by far we ever had on rccl was about ten years ago , it was our first grand suite , which was in the navigator ( have sailed in grand suites or above every cruise since) and we were invited to captains table for dinner , food , service and wine were all excellent, still waiting to be invited again. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

Best meal by far we ever had on rccl was about ten years ago , it was our first grand suite , which was in the navigator ( have sailed in grand suites or above every cruise since) and we were invited to captains table for dinner , food , service and wine were all excellent, still waiting to be invited again. 

We were invited to sit with the captain once long ago on the defunct Dolphin Cruise line it was on the Seabreeze, which is now at the bottom of the sea..  I was a very nice experience

24 minutes ago, George C said:

I know we still have them somewhere but they gave everyone a 8 by 10 picture of our table and also we got to keep the menu.

Yes still have picture. They sat me next to Captain. Excellent meal & presentation. 

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

NCL is the worst when it comes to food.

I totally agree, it was one of the many reason why I’ve only been on 1 NCL cruise and never went back... even after they offer a pretty significant credit towards another cruise after I complained... Even if they had offered a free cruise, I wouldn’t go back. For example. This was what they were passing off as Roast Beef in the buffet on my cruise... The person carving it said it was “fully cooked” when I said why it was still raw. They offered to grill it on the grill but it made no sense, why would you go through all that trouble of making roast beef, only to grill it? Than there was the whole serving escargot with garlic bread... why? I ate at all the speciality dining restaurant and the only thing I remember was this roast beef, the garlic bread with escargot, and the teppanyaki (Izumi hibachi/Benihana type dining) making remarks and references to weed and other drugs while cooking with 3 kids at the table and the parents trying to explain to them what the cook was talking about.  Also there was that whole dinner show where the food was either cold or overcooked AND cold... I told the manager and his response was people don’t go for the food but to see the show... a show where the clown was blowing his whistle every few minutes. 

DCF50F6A-7DC2-4C44-971D-B5DC87C57426.jpeg

Edited by SkaterJasp

I do want to say the Spectrum of the Seas does have some amazing food. This was from my last Royal Caribbean cruise, prior to the COVID-19 shutdown. With the exception of the Beef Wellington (taken Dec 31, 2019), all these food were served in 2020. This was my 2nd to last cruise in 2020... who knew that my last cruise this year was going to be on the Carnival Panorama. All I can say between Spectrum of the Seas and Carnival Panorama... this  was the best year when it came to overall Culinary Experiences onboard cruise ships... I had zero bad, or even just average, meals this year onboard a cruise ship. 

These were pictures from the Golden Dining Room (Golden Level Suites and Pinnacle Members) and DaDong Wonderland (Wonderland’s menu on departures from China).  There is one photo from Chops during the “Captain’s Table Dinner” 

8D391C29-990C-4AAD-82DF-8D5EC913A1F1.jpeg

DB76EC27-F574-4D6F-B332-B5029A5E650B.jpeg

9E3DCC54-F687-42E7-BC81-616DBF1F49E1.jpeg

1C89799C-A493-40F4-B577-870F4A171242.jpeg

B708E724-79A5-45C0-8B37-1DE742ECFCAD.jpeg

2A5A4D82-2882-4591-B619-CC595CC36BB8.jpeg

3DC698BE-306F-431E-89C5-C010ADFF7A89.jpeg

3CDF0B94-BA91-4E9F-8038-AFB5888FCAA2.jpeg

77A6B6B2-289B-4897-80E7-2D30C6171912.jpeg

4D4AEB07-6DF8-4EAC-BC54-E503C68746A6.jpeg

715E1B23-4C7E-4759-A04B-DEBC5F1A3822.jpeg

AC9D0377-D651-4D95-9888-B84B0E74F083.jpeg

24F3E091-FDD6-4853-AED5-1F5A428391CF.jpeg

Edited by SkaterJasp
6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That was our thoughts also on Wonderland once was enough.

4 hours ago, mek said:

We were invited to sit with the captain once long ago on the defunct Dolphin Cruise line it was on the Seabreeze, which is now at the bottom of the sea..  I was a very nice experience

Our first time was 1995 on her cousin, Royal Majesty.

Majesty Cruise Line was the upscale arm of Dolphin. She eventually got sold to NCL and was stretched. We got invited thru Cruise Director. 

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Our first time was 1995 on her cousin, Royal Majesty.

Majesty Cruise Line was the upscale arm of Dolphin. She eventually got sold to NCL and was stretched. We got invited thru Cruise Director. 

The good old days.  Not invited to dine with the captain but it was one of our first cruises.  That and the Britanis

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

The good old days.  Not invited to dine with the captain but it was one of our first cruises.  That and the Britanis

We were supposed to be on Sky Princess for a 9 day PC cruise, but it got cancelled at the pier. Ended up last second B2B on Royal Majesty. CD said if I just watched the pool games, and not play on the 2nd leg, he'd take care of us. Got invite the next day.😁

Good times

49 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We were supposed to be on Sky Princess for a 9 day PC cruise, but it got cancelled at the pier. Ended up last second B2B on Royal Majesty. CD said if I just watched the pool games, and not play on the 2nd leg, he'd take care of us. Got invite the next day.😁

Good times

I guess beeline nailed you. ... must be a bunch of newbies sailing royal she said. I thought of you. You poor dear. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I guess beeline nailed you. ... must be a bunch of newbies sailing royal she said. I thought of you. You poor dear. 

Typically, about half the ship is Newbies as I seem to recall the numbers mentioned in the Top Tier Party 

7 hours ago, SkaterJasp said:

I totally agree, it was one of the many reason why I’ve only been on 1 NCL cruise and never went back... even after they offer a pretty significant credit towards another cruise after I complained... Even if they had offered a free cruise, I wouldn’t go back. For example. This was what they were passing off as Roast Beef in the buffet on my cruise... The person carving it said it was “fully cooked” when I said why it was still raw. They offered to grill it on the grill but it made no sense, why would you go through all that trouble of making roast beef, only to grill it? Than there was the whole serving escargot with garlic bread... why? I ate at all the speciality dining restaurant and the only thing I remember was this roast beef, the garlic bread with escargot, and the teppanyaki (Izumi hibachi/Benihana type dining) making remarks and references to weed and other drugs while cooking with 3 kids at the table and the parents trying to explain to them what the cook was talking about.  Also there was that whole dinner show where the food was either cold or overcooked AND cold... I told the manager and his response was people don’t go for the food but to see the show... a show where the clown was blowing his whistle every few minutes. 

DCF50F6A-7DC2-4C44-971D-B5DC87C57426.jpeg

That roast probably wouldn't pass health inspection regulations for cooking food to the proper temperature.