Royal Downgraded Food 2008 - 2020

9 hours ago, SkaterJasp said:

I totally agree, it was one of the many reason why I’ve only been on 1 NCL cruise and never went back... even after they offer a pretty significant credit towards another cruise after I complained... Even if they had offered a free cruise, I wouldn’t go back. For example. This was what they were passing off as Roast Beef in the buffet on my cruise... The person carving it said it was “fully cooked” when I said why it was still raw. They offered to grill it on the grill but it made no sense, why would you go through all that trouble of making roast beef, only to grill it? Than there was the whole serving escargot with garlic bread... why? I ate at all the speciality dining restaurant and the only thing I remember was this roast beef, the garlic bread with escargot, and the teppanyaki (Izumi hibachi/Benihana type dining) making remarks and references to weed and other drugs while cooking with 3 kids at the table and the parents trying to explain to them what the cook was talking about.  Also there was that whole dinner show where the food was either cold or overcooked AND cold... I told the manager and his response was people don’t go for the food but to see the show... a show where the clown was blowing his whistle every few minutes. 

DCF50F6A-7DC2-4C44-971D-B5DC87C57426.jpeg

Oh my word I really have a problem with that.....haven’t considered NCL and that’s most likely a very good thing!!

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think Princess replace the beef medallions with a hamburger on the MDR menu.

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Princess's Crown Grill/Sterling Steakhouse is on par with Outback or the Longhorn Steakhouse as far as food quality.   

Oh for Pete's sake that is not what I want at all! I totally get it - just ADVERTISEMENT - to make it look good!! Seriously I love that you guys are taking all these other cruise lines!

Missusdubbya can have the BLOOMING UNIONS because I don't do Outback anymore!!

7 minutes ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Oh my word I really have a problem with that.....haven’t considered NCL and that’s most likely a very good thing!!

You are not missing much. It was the first and only cruise I’ve actually looked into ending the cruise early for no other reason than a very poor experience. The only thing that kept me from doing so was the logistic of getting from Cozumel to Cancun to catch a flight back to the US... and their guest services made it really impossible to just disembark and end my cruise early. 

12 hours ago, mek said:

we sailed Alaska Sept. 2019 and while the food in the MDR was good, I was really disappointed with the buffet - so scaled back from what it used to be.

I agree, the buffet selection was lacking and most of the time it felt like it’s bland hospital food being presented nicely. The plus was their buffet opened much later and you can always grab a bit to eat... Princess does have very good pizza... on par with those in NYC. 

16 minutes ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Oh for Pete's sake that is not what I want at all! I totally get it - just ADVERTISEMENT - to make it look good!! Seriously I love that you guys are taking all these other cruise lines!

I did have the blooming onion at Sterling Steakhouse years ago. I don't know if it's still on the menu. The food in the MDR for the most part is still good so I don't bother with the specialty restaurants anymore.

1 minute ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

That’s our hope Azamara is BETTER!!I Anybody ever tried it?? know it would be a very different experience but that’s not a bad thing right?? And yeah sticker shock at the end of a vacation like that is no fun.

I have not tried it but I have read a lot of positive feedback over the years on the Princess and Celebrity board.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

I did have the blooming onion at Sterling Steakhouse years ago. I don't know if it's still on the menu. The food in the MDR for the most part is still good so I don't bother with the specialty restaurants anymore.

Yes it helps to be more realistic with what to expect but maybe we're better off with smaller cruises to begin with. The Princess reviews are going downhill too!!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/princess-cruises/cl/?page=1

16 minutes ago, SkaterJasp said:

I agree, the buffet selection was lacking and most of the time it felt like it’s bland hospital food being presented nicely. The plus was their buffet opened much later and you can always grab a bit to eat... Princess does have very good pizza... on par with those in NYC. 

The buffet was never ideal but it has come along way since my first sailing in 1991. We only ate breakfast in the buffet and for lunch I would make a salad and get a burger or pizza to go along with it. The burgers at the Trident grill are real burgers nothing like the dog food burger that RC serves up in Windjammer. I agree Pizza is on par and at times better than what I can get in NY.

4 minutes ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Yes it helps to be more realistic with what to expect but maybe we're better off with smaller cruises to begin with. The Princess reviews are going downhill too!!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/princess-cruises/cl/?page=1

Princess is no longer my first choice anymore but that has more to do with the Royal class ships and the interaries.

Our first cruise was on the Crown Princess,don't remember going to the buffet at all as the food in the MDR was really good & plentiful & the service was excellent,later sailings with P&O & RCI have seen the buffet become an ever more attractive option!

I have to smile at people mentioning itinerary as a reason for booking Royal,every cruise we have booked with them has had the itinerary changed after we have booked it!

2 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

What? Once again you are spiralling. 

We actually don't stray too far from what we eat at home. We're boring. 

We eat in the jammer.

Cereal and fruit for breakfast. Maybe some eggs.

BIG salad at lunch. Soup. If it's chicken broth, I'll try to find some chicken to add to it and then go to the pasta station to add pasta. Sometimes I'll take some bacon strips from breakfast, put in a baggie and then on ice and make a BLT.

Or I'll add chicken to a salad for my protein.

Dinner starts with another BIG salad. John is more experimental with food and tends toward curries and I don't know what. I prefer fish.

He eats dessert, I don't.

Actually, on a 10-14 night cruise, I really do get tired of eating.

Works for us.

5 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

That’s our hope Azamara is BETTER!!I Anybody ever tried it?? know it would be a very different experience but that’s not a bad thing right?? And yeah sticker shock at the end of a vacation like that is no fun.

Surprising you haven’t read the reviews Azamara vs Crystal - since Crystal was very much on your radar before you had the threads and posts deleted.  To refresh your memory:

3 hours ago, Missusdubbya said:

Wound that not be curly fries?  They are better than onion.😉 

7 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Surprising you haven’t read the reviews Azamara vs Crystal - since Crystal was very much on your radar before you had the threads and posts deleted.  To refresh your memory:

I am starting to think they should charter a yacht.  Maybe they should watch below deck first. 🤔

11 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I think a love child and tight finances would preclude that. If you catch my drift 😈

I do, but it’s the only way to guarantee getting what you want. Better yet, they buy their own boat and serve what they want and cooked how they desire. Be like staying at home but on a boat. Maybe a house boat and cruise 365.😉

Edited by A&L_Ont
10 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Wound that not be curly fries?  They are better than onion.😉 

I am starting to think they should charter a yacht.  Maybe they should watch below deck first. 🤔

Curly fries would definitely be preferable to a ‘blooming union’ 😁🤣

On 10/25/2020 at 10:09 AM, Missusdubbya said:

OP you spend so much time on CC complaining that Royal is not up to your standards. Most of us are present in this forum because we like cruising on Royal. It seems like perhaps you are trolling us?

+1

18 hours ago, SkaterJasp said:

I love Alfredo's - delish and nice that it's a sit down venue.

17 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

And I love the Pub lunch!

15 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

We actually don't stray too far from what we eat at home. We're boring. 

We eat in the jammer.

Cereal and fruit for breakfast. Maybe some eggs.

BIG salad at lunch. Soup. If it's chicken broth, I'll try to find some chicken to add to it and then go to the pasta station to add pasta. Sometimes I'll take some bacon strips from breakfast, put in a baggie and then on ice and make a BLT.

Or I'll add chicken to a salad for my protein.

Dinner starts with another BIG salad. John is more experimental with food and tends toward curries and I don't know what. I prefer fish.

He eats dessert, I don't.

Actually, on a 10-14 night cruise, I really do get tired of eating.

Works for us.

Funny that you mentioned getting tired of the food because I'm the same.  I used to think I would love to do a world cruise and now I'm not sure I could eat cruise food for that long.

19 hours ago, Missusdubbya said:

Yup 100% I’m coming back around!! I was like DH you know we should try a new cruise line... but Princess isn't it!! We really had a fantastic time on RCL early on - so I'm going to remember that. Seriously, if we cruise with X or Azamara we're still kinda being Loyal to Royal TOO!!

Hugs to you from across the pond!

On 10/26/2020 at 6:49 AM, ReneeFLL said:

You need to learn how to compare apples to apples and not just post something to try to prove your point. Is that what you're trying to do because it isn't working. Since you didn't do your homework let me do a little bit of it for you. These are just a few. If you are so interested in Princess then you can do your own homework or book a cheaper cruise and get a lot less. 

ROYAL

7 ports each port that's added it cost more 

newer and bigger ship

lots more to do entertainment 

PRINCESS

5 ports

older and smaller

not nearly as much to do

Not to mention that high demand also drive prices up and low demand drives prices down. With that said, Ovation of the Seas is continuing on to Seattle and there are A LOT of people doing a B2B from Singapore to Yokohama and continuing on to Russia and Seattle. I was suppose to do the Ovation’s Yokohama to Seattle and there are a lot of people doing this sailing and continuing on to Seattle. It also makes perfect sense to not drop the price for this sailing because unlike other cruise lines, Royal is also offering Lift and Shift as an option via Cruise with Confidence.. you don’t want people taking advantage of a low fare at this point and lift and shift to a more expensive cruise in 2022.

Edited by SkaterJasp