Will Princess follow any of RCCL's new protocols for cruising?

caribill

All of the improvements  and new procedures should be part of the New Normal for Princess  along with passengers  only allowed to disembark  on ship sponsored  shore excursions . 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JEH said:

All of the improvements  and new procedures should be part of the New Normal for Princess  along with passengers  only allowed to disembark  on ship sponsored  shore excursions . 

I don't agree with the shore excursion restriction and we won't cruise until that is no longer the case.  Since the RCCL voyages discussed in the linked article are "cruises to nowhere", there is noting stated about ports and leaving the ship.  But I have read about these proposals and that ships that were operating in the Med were doing this.  Not clear what Princess is going to do as yet, but we won't be putting final payment on a near-term cruise unless Princess is able to clarify the policy and it is clear ports are going to be open for passengers.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I don't agree with the shore excursion restriction and we won't cruise until that is no longer the case.  Since the RCCL voyages discussed in the linked article are "cruises to nowhere", there is noting stated about ports and leaving the ship.  But I have read about these proposals and that ships that were operating in the Med were doing this.  Not clear what Princess is going to do as yet, but we won't be putting final payment on a near-term cruise unless Princess is able to clarify the policy and it is clear ports are going to be open for passengers.

Agree here re: ports. 
I wonder HOW they will control the number of passengers in the elevators?

All this protocol validated my reasons for postponing our August 2021 cruise to 2022.  We love cruising but we’re not that desperate to get back.  The ocean and ships will to be there waiting for us when this virus is under control or eradicated.  I just hope the cruise lines don’t choose to keep some of this protocol in place.  Sure, they can continue to keep things sanitized and clean.  But, I would hope the social distancing, mask wearing and limited passengers in venues will NOT be the norm.  Same with being able to walk off the ship on our own.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dog said:

Agree here re: ports. 
I wonder HOW they will control the number of passengers in the elevators?

I am not expecting "elevator monitors".  I imagine people will self-monitor.  If the door opens and a group is on, I imagine people will wait as I have observed on land.  Not that I am engaging with a lot of elevators mind you.  I know I will be walking most or all of the time as I do normally.  Might be a tough situation around dinner hour though.

4 hours ago, Linsifer said:

All this protocol validated my reasons for postponing our August 2021 cruise to 2022.  We love cruising but we’re not that desperate to get back.  The ocean and ships will to be there waiting for us when this virus is under control or eradicated.  I just hope the cruise lines don’t choose to keep some of this protocol in place.  Sure, they can continue to keep things sanitized and clean.  But, I would hope the social distancing, mask wearing and limited passengers in venues will NOT be the norm.  Same with being able to walk off the ship on our own.  

We have May 31, 2021 Ruby Alaska booked, but will cancel if subject to all of these restrictions.  We love cruising and have significant credits we must use by May 2022, but not cruising with covid.  

• Like 1

There is no way I'm willing to wear a mask on the pool deck while sitting in a lounge chair. What's the point when you don't have to wear them in the pool or while you are eating and drinking. How are they going to social distance people in the pool? It looks like it's going to be a long time, maybe years before I book a cruise again. I hope the die hard Cruise Critic members can keep the cruise lines a float, pun intended. I don't think many will be willing to board a ship under the conditions stated. I do hope they continue with the deep cleaning after this has passed.

• Like 3

I just read this statement,  The jogging track will have dedicated mask-less hours for people to go running.

So it's ok to run around huffing and puffing vapors into the air without a mask but you have to wear a mask on the pool and sun deck while reading a book or sunbathing.  Good luck with that.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am not expecting "elevator monitors".  I imagine people will self-monitor.  If the door opens and a group is on, I imagine people will wait as I have observed on land.  Not that I am engaging with a lot of elevators mind you.  I know I will be walking most or all of the time as I do normally.  Might be a tough situation around dinner hour though.

Elevators aren't an issue for us. We spend most of the time in the evening on the lower decks like most. I don't book a room on a floor higher than what DW is willing to do stairs. On sea days we spend all day on the upper decks so it's just one trip up and down. I really think that they need a dedicated elevator just for those with mobility issues during this situation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Elevators aren't an issue for us. We spend most of the time in the evening on the lower decks like most. I don't book a room on a floor higher than what DW is willing to do stairs. On sea days we spend all day on the upper decks so it's just one trip up and down. I really think that they need a dedicated elevator just for those with mobility issues during this situation.

Great idea.  One per bank (forward, mid, aft) for a start.  I like using the stairs for the exercise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Great idea.  One per bank (forward, mid, aft) for a start.  I like using the stairs for the exercise.

In 2019 I was on a cruise and at the time I needed a hip replacement but didn't know it. I was in agony walking on that trip. We were on a Royal Caribbean ship and I didn't have patients even in pain to wait for an elevator. I took the stairs even then. I had the hip replacement this year a week before they stopped elective surgery and the difference was like night and day immediately. I don't know how I was able to do all of the walking and stair climbing I did on that cruise.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I just read this statement,  The jogging track will have dedicated mask-less hours for people to go running.

So it's ok to run around huffing and puffing vapors into the air without a mask but you have to wear a mask on the pool and sun deck while reading a book or sunbathing.  Good luck with that.

Works in gyms and fitness centers, I walk 4 miles at a time on a treadmill at my local center and can not wear a mask while walking at my current rate. So far not a single virus case attributed to this center yet.

17 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Works in gyms and fitness centers, I walk 4 miles at a time on a treadmill at my local center and can not wear a mask while walking at my current rate. So far not a single virus case attributed to this center yet.

That wasn't the point that I was trying to make. Why would you have to wear a mask while sitting in the sun on deck and not have to wear one when you are running around breathing hard?

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

5 hours ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

We have May 31, 2021 Ruby Alaska booked, but will cancel if subject to all of these restrictions.  We love cruising and have significant credits we must use by May 2022, but not cruising with covid.  

Our cruise is out of SF to Alaska in August 2021.  So, it just seems prudent to postpone it for a year.  My husband said if we’re going to cruise, he wants the full experience as we’ve been accustomed to.  

Edited by Linsifer
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 9:31 AM, JEH said:

It doesn't need to be ship sponsored excursions only.  The Healthy Sail Panel recommendation #59 states "During the initial return to sailing, cruise operators should only allow guests debarking from a ship at a destination port to participate in cruise line-sponsored or verified excursions as a way of limiting potential exposures in the destinations they visit."  The phrase or 'verified excursions' leaves the door open to non cruise line excursions.  My question is who does the verifying - the cruise line or the local municipality?  If enough customers pressure the cruise line to offer the verified non cruise line excursions as an option, they will need to accommodate the requests or lose many passenger bookings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

It doesn't need to be ship sponsored excursions only.  The Healthy Sail Panel recommendation #59 states "During the initial return to sailing, cruise operators should only allow guests debarking from a ship at a destination port to participate in cruise line-sponsored or verified excursions as a way of limiting potential exposures in the destinations they visit."  The phrase or 'verified excursions' leaves the door open to non cruise line excursions.  My question is who does the verifying - the cruise line or the local municipality?  If enough customers pressure the cruise line to offer the verified non cruise line excursions as an option, they will need to accommodate the requests or lose many passenger bookings.

We rarely take any excursions.  We prefer to just stroll around town on our own.  When we were in Alaska in 2005 we took two inexpensive excursions, I know one was through the cruiseline.  So, they won’t allow passengers to NOT take excursions of any type?  In other words, if we choose to walk around town they won’t let us get off the ship?  

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

There is no way I'm willing to wear a mask on the pool deck while sitting in a lounge chair. What's the point when you don't have to wear them in the pool or while you are eating and drinking. How are they going to social distance people in the pool? It looks like it's going to be a long time, maybe years before I book a cruise again. I hope the die hard Cruise Critic members can keep the cruise lines a float, pun intended. I don't think many will be willing to board a ship under the conditions stated. I do hope they continue with the deep cleaning after this has passed.

At least when we cruised to Alaska in 2005 it wasn’t warm enough to sit out on the pool deck.  But, we don’t want to wear a mask elsewhere on the ship, either.  We do it willingly here at home when we’re out and about. We understand that we need to do our part to help get this virus under control.  However, it’s not something we want to do on vacation.  So, I guess that means we’ll just have to wait. 

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That wasn't the point that I was trying to make. Why would you have to wear a mask while sitting in the sun on deck and not have to wear one when you are running around breathing hard?

Exactly what happens in gyms.  You do not have to wear a mask while physically exerting yourself but do if you are going to or from a workout. It is the same scenario. Why do you have to wear a mask if you are not working out.

I have zero issues with these restrictions.  The only thing I didn't see listed, and mind you, I only skimmed through the article, is that to make this a reality, they are going to have to reduce capacity.  I've seen that RCCL and NCL put out a joint plan several weeks back and they were not only limiting the length of the voyage (only under 11 days, as I recall) but, they were also stating they would limit the capacity (I can't remember the number they used but think it was around 60%).  I'm sure they've worked out all the numbers and revenue to make it worth their while.  

BTW, I've noticed that the port charges / fees have gone up considerably on two of my sailings that were already booked prior to the pandemic.  I guess that is to be expected, especially if they do have to reduce the number of passengers onboard.  I still haven't seen an official statement from Princess on that as of yet, though. 

16 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I have zero issues with these restrictions.  The only thing I didn't see listed, and mind you, I only skimmed through the article, is that to make this a reality, they are going to have to reduce capacity.  I've seen that RCCL and NCL put out a joint plan several weeks back and they were not only limiting the length of the voyage (only under 11 days, as I recall) but, they were also stating they would limit the capacity (I can't remember the number they used but think it was around 60%).  I'm sure they've worked out all the numbers and revenue to make it worth their while.  

BTW, I've noticed that the port charges / fees have gone up considerably on two of my sailings that were already booked prior to the pandemic.  I guess that is to be expected, especially if they do have to reduce the number of passengers onboard.  I still haven't seen an official statement from Princess on that as of yet, though. 

Per the article: "Quantum of the Seas will start sailing from Singapore on December 1, at half capacity with only passengers who live in the country and on "Ocean Getaways", or cruises to nowhere."

I wonder if ports will require negative Covid test results from a test taken within 72 hours before a passenger is permitted to disembark at that port of call.  Could account for the increased port charges.

• Like 1