The Daily for Monday Oct 26, 2020

richwmn

today is National Mincemeat Day, National Day of the Deployed, and Horseless Carriage Day

UFO's are for real: the Air Force doesn't exist.

Meal suggestion for today - Sloppy Joe Mac and Cheese

Drink of the Day - Rusty Nail

Wine of the day - Castellare di Castellina Chianti Classico vintage 2017

At English Channel
Nieuw Statendam destination Portland UK eta 10/27
Volendam destination Portland UK eta 10/27

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Caracas Bay
Nieuw Amsterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Sint Eustatius
Eurodam

Torquay GB
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Oosterdam

1026World.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, thanks for the Daily Report.

Love the quote.

Interesting collection of days.  I don't care for mincemeat, but DH loves it.  Thanks to all Deployed throughout the world.  Love my horseless carriage.

Thanks for the meal suggestion.  DH enjoys a Rusty Nail, so may have one tonight.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Prayers for all.

Stay safe.

• Like 11

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Love mincemeat, sloppy joe not so much.  Thank God for the contributions of the deployed, and for my horseless carriage.  The quote sounds appropriate for out times.  My alternate menu suggestion for today is Minted Melon and Raspberry Soup, Red Curry Coconut Chicken, and Strawberry Crisp, as served on the Amsterdam October 26, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires, especially East Troublesome Fire

Those in the path of Zeta

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

More people getting their Amsterdam luggage back in good condition

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Lindaler’s sister and BIL coming for a visit.

Early voting starting in Maryland

Jason out of the hospital and back home

And I HIGHLY recommend the Public Television special “Driving While Black”

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

That’s quite an interesting collection of days.  I will happily celebrate the day of the Deployed.  We owe so much to all of those who have been and are deployed throughout the world.

41D8037B-FA4D-4EC1-B263-B2435AA9B420.jpeg.3318063a2ab1df13d07db0caa8a0efff.jpeg

LOL on the quote today.  

4BCE7B90-1954-443D-9DF2-F5A692F1AD46.jpeg.dc9bf53cb12ee6ad01844eda04278223.jpeg

I think I’ll pass on the meal suggestion and consider Roy’s alternate one.  Now, if I just had someone to prepare and serve it, that would be perfect. 😉 

Haven’t had a Rusty Nail in years.  Hmmmm.

Another cold day today here in our area of New Brunswick.  The frost has pretty much done things in 😞 

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for any who need them and, a clink of the glass to those on his Celebratory list.

Have a great Monday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks. 😷 

• Like 20

Top of the morning Rich. Thank you for our Daily dose.

Good morning sisters Denise and Ann, Dailyites, Roy, summer, Jacqui. Thanks for contributions, prayers and celebrations. We may be toasting to a new Supreme court judge tonight.

image.jpeg.e3ef28be08905794f4111fefab75a560.jpeg

I put a fresh hummingbird feeder up yesterday. We still have a straggler. I worry that he won't leave in time to make it south.

We really enjoy our birds. We have a lot of cardinals and love to hear the birds sing.

Roy's red curry chicken suggestion sounds pretty good, although I will need to make Allen something else..

Hoping everyone has a great day. Please be safe. It's back to covid crazy again, darn it.

• Like 14

Good Monday morning.  Thank you Roy and Rich for your continued efforts with our lists.

Love Mincemeat, haven't had it in years.  Have enjoyed many horseless carriages over the years.

Prayers for all our Deployed, past and present.

Haven't had Sloppy Joe Mac and Cheese, but had regular M&C last night for dinner.

Rusty Nail:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Scotch Whisky, 3/4 oz Drambuie
Preparation: Pour all ingredients directly into old-fashioned glass filled with ice. Stir gently. Garnish with a lemon twist. Serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lemon twist

Prayers and congratulations for everyone in these trying times.
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.
  • Like 15

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I picture you rubbing your hands together each morning as you select the Days we will celebrate. Do you laugh out loud at some of the entries, such as Mincemeat Day? I did. And you balance it with something as serious and poignant as Day of the Deployed. Thank you. And thank all those who are, or who have been deployed. 

I love my Hybrid horseless carriage!

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Joy - another red wine. Roy, thank you for taking care of our lists!

Great quote. I have at least heard of this drink. Looking forward to Summer’s recipe. Today is a lovely day here. Fall temps in the morning, warming up to the 80s later. Schools are off today, so heading to the best ice cream place at the beach for some sea salt caramel, while watching the wild ocean action of the Atlantic. Jacqui, I will toast you. Who cares what’s for supper, after eating that?

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone!

This excellent Tuscan Chianti is reasonably priced - starting at $21.99. I might enjoy a taste, but I usually find them a bit sweeter than I like.  

#17 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

This wine is bright ruby red in color with purple highlights. Thanks to the harmony of the tannins, combined with the delicate complexity of aromas and the final note of sweetness, it has an excellent balance in the mouth.

A very versatile wine, ideally paired with structured main dishes. It also goes well with stewed dishes and medium-aged cheeses.

WS94 Wine Spectator

A beam of pure cherry and blackberry fruit defines this intense, racy red, which is firm and tensile, with fine balance and a lingering aftertaste of vibrant fruit, graphite and tobacco flavors. Sangioveto and Canaiolo. Drink now through 2033.

• Like 17

Today's sunrise is from yet another string of cruises but did not happen near water.  In 2014 I sailed QM2 to Europe and returned on the Wind Star.  October 26, 2014 was a  Sunday  and I started the day at my fire house which was offering a breakfast, continued to my church, and finally to New York to await QM2.  The sun came up while I was at the fire house.  My office is in the wing at the right of the photo:

dawn1026.jpg

Roy

• Like 19

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A great collection of days - we are grateful to every man and woman deployed, past and present.  Both DH and I love mincemeat - I'll see if I have a jar in the pantry and might make up some tarts as a treat.  And, we love our horseless carriages; here on the "frozen tundra", we make many miles in them almost every day.  Many times I wish things were closer so we could walk to them, but it isn't to be.

Great meal suggestion - one that I'm sure DH will love, as it sounds like Hamburger Helper.  LOL  I'm not sure what's on our menu for tonight, but I was thinking about making lazy cabbage rolls using coleslaw mix, ground beef, and rice.  It's funny how some recipes just come back to you after years of not making them.  Whatever I make, at least we won't go hungry!  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our wine glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15

38 minutes ago, travelingbums said:

Mask a day keeps the doctors at bay😊

Sadly, no.  It DOES help keep them from getting overwhelmed and better able to serve us, whatever it is that we need them for.  It is grossly unfair of us to not take that simple step and expect overworked health care workers to pick up the wreckage.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Snow and rain for us today..... and a welcome sight it is. Here in the southwest corner of the state the moisture is fairly light although Wolf Creek Pass is getting hammered. But the northeastern section is getting snow which at least will put a damper on those fires. However, dry weather with winds is expected to return later in the week.

Both menus sound pretty good to me. I need to experiment more and vary my meals. When you cook for one, you do get a bit limited. I suspect my evening meal tonight will be some sort of carry-out.... just have to decide what kind.

Susan

• Like 12

🌺🌸Good morning Rich and Roy!

🙄celebrations on Mincemeat! Not for me.

To our deployed absolutely!!👍👍we have a friend who’s son is a Navy Seal and is deployed. Good bless them all.Love the quote.

🌺🌸 Good  morning to my sisters!! Now Ann’s description on the Chianti I would try with Italian dish. 
🌺🌸 Summer not my kind of drink but thank you for the cocktail recipe!

Well if all remember we had cleaned and organized our garage. Now we are waiting for The Goodwill to come by this am for our donations.

🌺🌺TO ALL HAVE A POSITIVE WEEK AND GOOD HEALTH!!

Denise😊

• Like 10

Good morning all.  We can certainly celebrate deployment day as our son is in the army who has been deployed many times.  In the late fall of 2011 he was deployed  to Afghanistan for 6 months.  It was very difficult for his wife and daughters 3 and 6 to say goodbye.  The 6 year old in tears said “please Santa, bring my daddy home for Christmas”.   I have a fruit mincemeat recipe that is so good, in fact I have some leftovers frozen that I could use in a cookie recipe that I found.  I think I will pass on the Rusty Nail and the macaroni dish.  Thanks to all those who contribute.  Sharing a few more fall pictures, this might be it for the season, bare trees depress me. One of the pictures is of our son on deployment.

562A2C5E-E476-4604-ABA7-060D0FC67E79.jpeg

2E9DF400-17A5-4CF7-8ACF-45E15D1D7CB0.jpeg

DEEDA189-EEAD-4856-89E3-E296F844E499.jpeg

B9E3E0E3-BC5A-476E-9E94-8D02D46432E7.jpeg

BD83D6AA-D849-4BC2-AAEF-267EA1ABEC90.jpeg

701FDC1E-D582-4117-A073-6B8AAA16549C.jpeg

D3AB4679-58C8-4B03-BA6D-67ECD66618DC.jpeg

CBC88303-C74C-45E5-AFB6-AD960A0326EB.jpeg

07174E93-F67A-471D-844F-53A227D57C8F.jpeg

D912BB80-ABD3-489C-8BA2-19E9D0F6D49A.jpeg

7FE402C0-AA15-422C-B758-D8C82023A6F8.jpeg

FBD53DF8-A6B1-4E20-907F-B8EE92974FD5.jpeg

0D607396-38CA-4326-B125-0B5BC41D484E.jpeg

95A7CAEE-A99D-418A-B334-5BD0764B5B63.jpeg

11C982B0-61C5-420F-8A4B-04BE64C399AD.jpeg

86F137DB-4506-4495-A030-6B203FBF0CDD.jpeg

• Like 24

Glancing thru our morning newspaper, online, I noticed an obituary with a picture that looked familiar, so I read it.  A lovely lady who escaped Nazi Germany with her mother, she later worked as a room steward for a European shipping company, where she enjoyed travel to distant countries.  Ok, sounds nice, so far.

She later came to the USA, married, and retired to Florida.  Ok, familiar.

The clincher line; She continued her traveling with Holland America Line where she obtained 4 star Mariner status.  Bingo!  That's where I knew her from.

A lot of us are lamenting all that covid has done to our lives, including the halting of cruises.  It has certainly crossed my mind that we may never get back onboard to enjoy our wonderful ships and crews and have our laundry done gratis.  With the positive numbers increasing again, when will be able, and want to, cruise again?  

Enjoy everyday.

• Like 14

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. So nice to come here and chit chat about different things. Thank you for your lists Roy @rafinmd, and loved your sunrise picture of your fire station. May I ask what you do for them?  You seem so very devoted and for some reason I thought you were in a volunteer position.  

BTW, I am beyond thrilled that I finally figured out the blue @ thing when posting. 

Today is the big day for my little dog Blue’s tooth extraction. I dropped him off at 7:30 this morning and pick him up about 2:00 this afternoon. Crazy, but I am already missing him and worried about him. 

It is a dreary day here. Nice for a change and even had rain, not much but I did have to use my windshield wipers enough to know that I need new ones. Seems like we are always replacing the wipers here, the dry hot heat really takes it’s toll on them. 

Not sure what is on the menu tonight. We didn’t have steak last night so probably will have that and since it’s supposed to be so cold tomorrow I’m planning chili for tomorrow. Reminds me that I need to get my pinto beans soaking. 

Happy for the Deployed having a day of recognition.  Never had mincemeat but would love to try it. I couldn’t live without my horseless carriage, I’ve had mine for almost 21 years (in January) and it has been the best car I’ve ever had. The meal suggestion sounds like chili Mac to me, which I make occasionally. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 12

Enjoyed a weekend adventure and a ride in our horseless carriage on CA 101 to Pacific Grove/Monterey and home to Southern California - thankful for the deployed and for the acres and acres of food and drink in this great land. Thanks for the Daily. It’s a great day to be alive!

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you for your lists Roy @rafinmd, and loved your sunrise picture of your fire station. May I ask what you do for them?  You seem so very devoted and for some reason I thought you were in a volunteer position. 

Thank you.  I am a volunteer.  I used to go out on calls but haven't since my prostate cancer surgery in 1997.  I have been the Treasurer since about 1992 and was their representative to their boy scout units for about 34 years.  The most notable thing I've done recently is sign a check for about $2/3 million for 2 new ambulances.  At least one of them is currently in the station (the other is I think out getting some modifications and outfitting) and should be in service within about the next month.

Roy

• Like 17