CDC Issues New COVID-19 Cruise Ship Travel Warning

Formula280SS

What I found interesting in the article from October 26th is that they are issuing an advisory to not sail on cruise ships.  They aren't saying that cruise ships can't sail or that the no-sail order has been extended.

Sort of like when the US issues an advisory to not visit certain countries, but isn't necessarily forbidding it.

I just find the wording interesting and wonder if it means that cruises may start up at some point soon.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Breaking news!

14 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

NOTE dates on the "Breaking News" document - perhaps OLD news ?

Extension Dates April 9 2020 - July 16 2020 - September 30 - something NEW for October/November ?

In any event you ain't sailing until the CDC issues a Health Travel release of sorts !

11 minutes ago, roger001 said:

If I read it right, that is from almost 8 months ago.  

6 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

~ sigh ~

"This notice was originally posted March 17, 2020."

Please, the CDC is "updating" its' warning, as per announcement quotes today from large number of sources.  When "updating" they reference "previous warnings and levels."  Hence, some may be confused.

I have no idea why, but it could be disagreement over extending the NSO so they want to forcefully advise (i.e., "warning") against such to emphasize their point.

Edited by Formula280SS

12 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

Please, the CDC is "updating" its' warning, as per announcement quotes today from large number of sources.  When "updating" they reference "previous warnings and levels."  Hence, some may be confused.

I have no idea why, but it could be disagreement over extending the NSO so they want to forcefully advise (i.e., "warning") against such to emphasize their point.

But is there anything new from when it was previously posted?  Everyone already knows about their previous warnings. 

Not trying to be snarky but it's frustrating for those waiting to find out if their sailings will occur.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

But is there anything new from when it was previously posted?  Everyone already knows about their previous warnings. 

Not trying to be snarky but it's frustrating for those waiting to find out if their sailings will occur.

The link on the CDC website (referenced in the dozens of outlets today) re: the Warning Level leads to the explanation of what the risks are at that level.  It was issued internally October 21, 2020 per the CDC website.  I don't know if the previous warnings, by issue date, expired (which I doubt) or if they are re-emphasizing the CDC position on cruises because they are somehow precluded by issuing a new NSO.

Just reporting what was in the news.

24 minutes ago, Nclcruise1415 said:

Old News... or Updated Old News... Whichever you prefer.

October 21, 2020.  Best I can do is just provide the links and illustrate.

555.thumb.JPG.0eca1db70e9cea1eb17b6e54811a2429.JPG

• Like 1

Have there been any actual cases on the cruises that are currently sailing in Europe and the Far East?  Every article I read about passengers or crew testing positive on those cruises was the result of rapid tests, which were then followed up with PCR tests that all came back negative.  Or is the CDC just using the data from the cases on Princess and other lines back in March to continue their advisory?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Have there been any actual cases on the cruises that are currently sailing in Europe and the Far East?  Every article I read about passengers or crew testing positive on those cruises was the result of rapid tests, which were then followed up with PCR tests that all came back negative.  Or is the CDC just using the data from the cases on Princess and other lines back in March to continue their advisory?

This article states there recently were positives aboard a chartered Costa ship . There is nothing in the article that states or suggests that the test results were later determined to be false positives:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5666/

October 19, 2020

Chris Gray Faust

Managing Editor

(10:55 a.m. EDT) --" Health and safety protocols developed by Costa Cruises seem to have contained a COVID-19 outbreak on a recent charter cruise, but the line has canceled a subsequent sailing on the ship, out of an abundance of caution."

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not new. Old warning with a few updates. The guidance has not changed. If you read all the way to the bottom you would have seen that it dates back to the start of the COVID shutdowns. 

If you go back a post of mine I clearly explained the matter and gave a screenshot of the CDC website with the noted date.

Yes, it is a new warning that refers to a "level" (3 in this case) which, since March is a static definition. 

The updated warning "to that level 3" (from "level 2") was October 21, 2020, regardless if the definition of level 3 is the same as it was in March.  

There was no inference that the definition, terms and conditions of the CDC warning level has changed; rather, that the CDC has reissued its' update to level 3 (and continues to uniquely refer to an "activity," i.e., cruising, in its warning as usually it does such regarding countries and destinations).

• Like 1

A thought occurred to me. Is the CDC elevating its warning level to Level 3 because they expect that they will be encouraged/pressured into not extending the No Sail order?  And so they elevate the warning level to convey the "we still don't think cruising is a good idea right now" message, despite no official ban being in place?

Edited by macandlucy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...