CDC wants U.S. travelers not to cruise - not surprising

pe4all

Just now, JimVB said:

Valid point.  Real life doesn't always go well.  This article deals with spread on a mostly empty flight.  https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/transmission-of-covid-19-on-flight-into-ireland-linked-to-59-infections-1.4390728

Possible spread. Big on speculation, short of facts. Doesn't seem very scientific.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I havent found a place here I can eat inside, though I'm sure there must be a ihop or something open, just not right around me. Fast food like taco bell you can walk into but not eat here. 

Far as I'm concerned I'm still locked down. 

Here in PA (even though a politician continues to say PA is shutdown - which is totally Wrong info) we have bars and indoor dining.    Everything is open and has been in my area since May and June.    Now that weather is chilly - was 50 and very windy / rainy yesterday and today outdoor dining is becoming tough to do and a lot of people do Not want to do indoor dining.     We went inside the other night for diner and there was maybe 3 or 4 tables of guests at prime time.   It is sad to see this happening to bars/restaurants.    Will be even sadder when some of them close down this winter if they don't have guests doing indoor dining.

I have so many future cruises booked and just hope we can sail someday soon.   The protocols they have in place for the european sailings are just fine with us.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

This is misleading.  The CDC resent a notice that was from 17 Mar.  There is nothing new.

Wonder if there will be another post at end of month.

Edited by jimbo5544

24 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Firefly implied cruising was the only "travel" affected.  I mentioned the theatre district in NYC...probably the densest tourist area...only to show that it's not just cruising.

A year ago, where I ate today...I probably couldn't get a seat.  Today, I had a table for 4 to myself and one other woman all the way at the other end of the restaurant.

The arts everywhere is impacted. I've lost count of how many concerts I should have attended by now that have been postponed or canceled.

Perhaps it was the food? I though restaurants could have up to 25% occupancy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

The CDC should be running without government interference and should not be swayed by fake protests.

Or perhaps the cdc should be closed as power hungry and political themselves. You can look at it both ways. They have started to enjoy the limelight and cruises is all they have power over. 

Lots of things have risk. The problem is they dont say disney has risk, they only speak of cruises. They are ununbiased but power hungry. Get off tv. If they were even handed and spoke of other things I wouldnt say fire them all, they are biased particularly against cruises.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, pe4all said:

I am not really sure how this is surprising.  In the month of October there has only been one day with new cases under 40,000 cases of the virus.  October 23rd had over 85,000 cases in the US.  It seems like the Center for DISEASE control is just doing there job and being realistic about the spread of the virus, by telling people it is not a very smart idea to be confined to a boat with a large group of people at this particular time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The arts everywhere is impacted. I've lost count of how many concerts I should have attended by now that have been postponed or canceled.

Perhaps it was the food? I though restaurants could have up to 25% occupancy.

You missed the point.

If there are NO tourists in the tourist area....it doesn't matter what the capacity is. 

It's definitely not the food....they have the best veggie panini/Greek salad combo I've ever had!

As far as arts everywhere being impacted...yes.  But people come here from all over the world specifically for B'way, Lincoln Center, Museums....

Anyway....just pointing out that cruising is not the only affected industry.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is surprising in that they create questions instead on answering questions.  If they took your lead, then simply extend the no sail order and be done with it. 

It seems to me they are just trying to stop the spread of the disease.  When you have a name like Center for Disease Control you would not be doing your job if you suggested it was a good idea for Americans to get onto a big boat and sing at piano bars and hangout in small comedy clubs and sit at bars and restaurants in close proximity to others.  I frankly don't understand why they don't extend the no sail order at this point with the US numbers through the roof like they have been the last 25 days.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

It's definitely not the food....they have the best veggie panini/Greek salad combo I've ever had!

Well there you go - it's the food!

12 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

As far as arts everywhere being impacted...yes.  But people come here from all over the world specifically for B'way, Lincoln Center, Museums....

Foreign tourism is down in the US and has been since before Covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Missed all the fun so far.  Typical confusion from the cdc.  I can only guess (because they did a lousy job of saying it( this means they will not extend the no sail order.  

I am slowly starting to accept the likelihood that the cruise industry we knew prior to COVID-19 in the US is gone for good. My biggest concern right now is hoping Florida remains open like it is right now so you can still have some resemblance of a life here.

I understand the science view that wants to shut everything down. However, it is obvious a significant number of people, if not the majority of people, in this country will never go for that. I think that is the part a lot of people are missing. This country was founded and built upon the concept of freedom. Having a government telling you what you can and can’t do, even if it is supported by scientific data, is not what this country is about. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am slowly starting to accept the likelihood that the cruise industry we knew prior to COVID-19 in the US is gone for good. My biggest concern right now is hoping Florida remains open like it is right now so you can still have some resemblance of a life here.

I understand the science view that wants to shut everything down. However, it is obvious a significant number of people, if not the majority of people, in this country will never go for that. I think that is the part a lot of people are missing. This country was founded and built upon the concept of freedom. Having a government telling you what you can and can’t do, even if it is supported by scientific data, is not what this country is about. 

Like pre 9/11, airtravel and cruise will be back, but different, never going to be same for years and years.

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The CDC telling people what they can and can’t do is not acceptable in my book, at least the way they are doing it right now. To say cruise ships can’t sail, but people can still travel by buses, subways, trains, airplanes, etc. is not about science, it’s about punishing the cruise lines. Now if the CDC banned all forms of travel, to include airplanes, trains, etc., than I might believe the CDC was serious about this virus. 

i think we might have to fly to Europe, Asia and other places to cruise out of now if we can no longer cruise out of the states

I respect your views, but this is an area we are never going to agree on. I strongly believe in the freedom this country was built upon. It’s why I dedicated over 20 years of my life to the military to play a small part in preserving that freedom.

The CDC telling people what they can and can’t do is not acceptable in my book, at least the way they are doing it right now. To say cruise ships can’t sail, but people can still travel by buses, subways, trains, airplanes, etc. is not about science, it’s about punishing the cruise lines. Now if the CDC banned all forms of travel, to include airplanes, trains, etc., than I might believe the CDC was serious about this virus. 

It seems the CDC bans cruising and not the other forms of transportation because you don't spend a week or more on an airplane or subway with someone.  That is why they don't want US travelers on cruise ships.  People try to make it seem like the CDC has some sort of political vendetta against the Arison family.  I don't believe that is the case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

I admire you and thank you for your service.   While in the military did you accept some strict rules for the organization for the better of the group and cause?   

No society even one founded on the belief all people are created equal and have rights to the pursuit of life liberty and happiness has the right to do things that infringe on others to equally pursue life, liberty and happiness.

Take waring a mask, it has become a symbol of control and oppression by some including the current national leadership.   I put it into the same box as speed limits, drunk driving.    There are actions that do meaningfully impact others life, liberty and pursuit of happiness and when it risk killing someone next to you, it is no longer your right to ask as you like.

No different in the military you need a strong discipline to prevent the organization from descending into total chaos. 

Good post with lots of good points.  The issue I have with the CDC, and I have had it for a long time, is how they have focused on the cruise industry but not other forms of transportation that bring people into close contact with each other for a significant amount of time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Like pre 9/11, airtravel and cruise will be back, but different, never going to be same for years and years.

I dont think ever the same. Rcl is doing patents on bracelets that trace your movements like big brother, and masks. Galveston terminal spent 90k on things to protect from covid. Ships are doing laundry in hotter water, changing buffets, changing air filters and on and on.

These changes wouldnt disappear. App to order your dinner from a code or order a drink onboard. Tech doesnt disappear, ... and I wouldnt be surprised to see these bracelets stay that track your movements on the ship. Might give them good marketing info some beard will think. 

I just want it to survive. 

• Like 2

Good post with lots of good points.  The issue I have with the CDC, and I have had it for a long time, is how they have focused on the cruise industry but not other forms of transportation that bring people into close contact with each other for a significant amount of time. 

Thank you .....exactly my pt about cdc which some cant grasp. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

At the moment Fauci has his hands full just trying to get people to wear masks and social distance. Unbelievable that a virus may kill more Americans than wars just because people won't follow simple instructions.

Now this point I completely agree with you on. We live in Florida and have the ability to do most things that we could do pre-COVID, although things are far from normal here. Any time I go out alone or with my wife to a store or restaurant, I (we) always wear a mask and practice social distancing as much as possible. Unfortunately that isn’t the case with everyone, although from my experience the overwhelming majority of people we see when we are out wear a mask and don’t seem to deliberately wander close to other people. 

• Like 3