Lift and Shift

CruisinRoxy

Hi All!

So today is the day we were supposed pay off the balance for our Jan 23 2021 cruise.   And with just 90 days to go and Covid on the increase through most of the country (and world for that matter), I'm thinking the cruise industry will be in a slump well into 2021.   Not to mention flying to San Juan and dealing with all of that.   I'm just wondering what you folks are doing, or have done over the last 8 months in regards to postponing your cruises.   Celebrity has the "Lift and Shift".  Some of the problem is getting the stateroom you want in 2022, that you had booked in 2021.    I did it and got a comparable one, not the same.  But that's ok, at least I didn't lose the deposit, or any promotions.  Glad I didn't book any flights or hotels at this point.    Any comments or ideas?

We are doing the same when pricing make sense.  Remember you can watch available staterooms and switch to a better one later if one becomes available.   I was worried that you had left it to the day final payment was due to do L&S.  My advise is to make sure to submit at least a week prior to the final payment deadline.   Glad yours is all set.

12 minutes ago, CruisinRoxy said:

Hi All!

So today is the day we were supposed pay off the balance for our Jan 23 2021 cruise.   And with just 90 days to go and Covid on the increase through most of the country (and world for that matter), I'm thinking the cruise industry will be in a slump well into 2021.   Not to mention flying to San Juan and dealing with all of that.   I'm just wondering what you folks are doing, or have done over the last 8 months in regards to postponing your cruises.   Celebrity has the "Lift and Shift".  Some of the problem is getting the stateroom you want in 2022, that you had booked in 2021.    I did it and got a comparable one, not the same.  But that's ok, at least I didn't lose the deposit, or any promotions.  Glad I didn't book any flights or hotels at this point.    Any comments or ideas?

I already did a L&S for a Jan 2021 Summit from San Juan moved it to same cabin for Jan 2022.  I currently have an APEX TA May 1, 20201, final destination Barcelona.  B2B from there on European ports, with Spain and Greece being the ones most concerning as of now.  I will wait a few months to decide but Spain on 6 month curfew/lockdown, who really knows.  

13 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Refresh my memory so I don't need to search through pages of info - can you lift and shift after Celebrity cancels your cruise?

Good question to which I do not know answer, but someone here def will.  My May 2020 that was cancelled, I took the full refund.  I decided to L&S on the Jan 2021 because I just feel very uncertain even about how sailing we be then.  

47 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Refresh my memory so I don't need to search through pages of info - can you lift and shift after Celebrity cancels your cruise?

Up to this point you could, yes. Usually within a 10-14 day window from the date of cancellation. I suppose they would keep this option on any future mass cancellations, at least for the time being.

8 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Looks like the deadline has past for all sailings cancelled by Celebrity

image.png.cf105ebb4a9bb76db1f45b773b0769a8.png

I don't doubt this in anyway but on their website, it still indicates one has until Nov 30, 2020 to L&S for a similar itinerary, ship and it also says for same price.  I will tell I did not get the same price for my L&S, was not a huge difference but enough that I will now call them to discuss. 

The rules are different for suspended sailings.  This was taken from the FAQ for suspended sailings.  L&S for other reservations does expire on 11/30 (unless it is extended again).

L&S should be the same base cruise fare and perks.   Taxes and Fees will change to that of the new sailing.  I've found it to be +/- $20 pp.

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

The rules are different for suspended sailings.  This was taken from the FAQ for suspended sailings.  L&S for other reservations does expire on 11/30 (unless it is extended again).

L&S should be the same base cruise fare and perks.   Taxes and Fees will change to that of the new sailing.  I've found it to be +/- $20 pp.

Good and helpful to know.  It was a $815+ difference, not a huge amount of $ but certainly enough to raise a ruckus about.

14 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I don't doubt this in anyway but on their website, it still indicates one has until Nov 30, 2020 to L&S for a similar itinerary, ship and it also says for same price.  I will tell I did not get the same price for my L&S, was not a huge difference but enough that I will now call them to discuss. 

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Good and helpful to know.  It was a $815+ difference, not a huge amount of $ but certainly enough to raise a ruckus about.

How "similar" are your itineraries? We had a minor port change resulting in a $15 increase in port fees, but the length of the cruise was identical. If your new itinerary is longer, as some have reported, the extra night(s) might account for the $815+ increase.

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

How "similar" are your itineraries? We had a minor port change resulting in a $15 increase in port fees, but the length of the cruise was identical. If your new itinerary is longer, as some have reported, the extra night(s) might account for the $815+ increase.

Almost identical, S Carib, but one week earlier for the Jan 2022 sailing.  Exact same suite as well.  I am beginning to think perhaps they double charged me for the perks, as someone suggested it may be, though if so, it is not reflected on my invoice.  Will call them tonight to (try) and resolve.  Thanks all

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Almost identical, S Carib, but one week earlier for the Jan 2022 sailing.  Exact same suite as well.  I am beginning to think perhaps they double charged me for the perks, as someone suggested it may be, though if so, it is not reflected on my invoice.  Will call them tonight to (try) and resolve.  Thanks all

Curious. Let us know the outcome.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Curious. Let us know the outcome.

For sure I will Fouremco.  CruisinRoxy, I have always booked my cruises direct on Celebrity, but now after all this craziness and seeing how many folks on here had a TA to do the legwork, I definitely see the value.

I was really lucky.  I had no idea Celebrity was doing this though they really should be doing this for their customers.  So I had Southern Caribbean 9 night cruise booked for Feb 2021.  Had to pay balance Nov 7.  I called Costco Travel to cancel one night and the person only said do you want more time to think about cancelling?  I guess if I called by Nov 7 I could have 1 more week to think about it.  I just couldn’t bring myself to cancel the cruise.  The price was great, 3 perks and 2 islands we haven’t been to before.  I had been looking at same itinerary for 2022 but price was $2750 CAD more!  Really made me mad.  So for some reason I didn’t cancel that night.  The next day I tell myself that there isn’t going to be a vaccine out by Feb 2021, just cancel the damn cruise lol.  I call Costco Travel and I get an agent who asks if I thought about moving cruise to 2022.  I said yes but it’s $2750 more.  She then told me about the Lift and Shift.  So wonderful!.  To think I almost cancelled that cruise.  I know we still might not be able to go on that cruise but there’s hope.  So same itinerary, same cabin area, it’s just 8 days earlier in February and the taxes went down $22.  Very happy that Celebrity is doing this.  I should have checked things out here on Cruise Critic!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, elapel01 said:

I was really lucky.  I had no idea Celebrity was doing this though they really should be doing this for their customers.  So I had Southern Caribbean 9 night cruise booked for Feb 2021.  Had to pay balance Nov 7.  I called Costco Travel to cancel one night and the person only said do you want more time to think about cancelling?  I guess if I called by Nov 7 I could have 1 more week to think about it.  I just couldn’t bring myself to cancel the cruise.  The price was great, 3 perks and 2 islands we haven’t been to before.  I had been looking at same itinerary for 2022 but price was $2750 CAD more!  Really made me mad.  So for some reason I didn’t cancel that night.  The next day I tell myself that there isn’t going to be a vaccine out by Feb 2021, just cancel the damn cruise lol.  I call Costco Travel and I get an agent who asks if I thought about moving cruise to 2022.  I said yes but it’s $2750 more.  She then told me about the Lift and Shift.  So wonderful!.  To think I almost cancelled that cruise.  I know we still might not be able to go on that cruise but there’s hope.  So same itinerary, same cabin area, it’s just 8 days earlier in February and the taxes went down $22.  Very happy that Celebrity is doing this.  I should have checked things out here on Cruise Critic!

Def great info on CC from more seasoned cruisers than I am.  Thanks to this forum I am well on my way to getting my "overcharge" on a L&S back to the "shift part" for which I was mistakenly charged for.  I will give it a few days to reflect on my statement, but seemed to go well.  Sounds like you did OK as well.  GOOD ON US, and thanks CC!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

We were able to L and S after our April 2020 Infinity cruise was cancelled.  We had already taken the 125% FCC when he heard about L&S.  We did this middle of May 2020 well after April cruise was cancelled.

We figured it was too late but called Celebrity and asked if we could still get L & S.  The first person we called said no.  We called back because the program was brand new at the time and the rules were not clear.  The second agent said yes and fixed us up with just a change in taxes and fees. 

We hope the April 2021 TA goes because the rules do clearly say only one lift and shift per cruise.  Short version I would call and try, you never know......

Question.....our cruise is Dec '21...I'd like to L&S to Feb. '22.  Anyone think this is possible?  No cruises posted for Dec '22 (rather not wait that long but cruising/flying may be dicey the entire year) and a phrase in the program led me to believe I could do this.

"Bookings for 2021 sail dates may shift to 2022 only on current deployment open through May 4, 2022."

This may mean eg: May '21 to May '22..but is ambiguous I think.

Edited by Oceangoer2

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Question.....our cruise is Dec '21...I'd like to L&S to Feb. '22.  Anyone think this is possible?  No cruises posted for Dec '22 (rather not wait that long) and a phrase in the program led me to believe I could do this.

"Bookings for 2021 sail dates may shift to 2022 only on current deployment open through May 4, 2022."

I "thought" that the L&S had to be on a similar itinerary, and with 1-2 weeks either side of the original sail date month

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I "thought" that the L&S had to be on a similar itinerary, and with 1-2 weeks either side of the original sail date month

(You're fast!!)   I know but edited my original post to try to explain further.  All is the same except dates are definitely not within the 4 week window.

Edited by Oceangoer2

24 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

(You're fast!!)   I know but edited my original post to try to explain further.  All is the same except dates are definitely not within the 4 week window.

Just pulled this from Celebrity website:

• Taxes, Fees, Transfers and Pre/Post Cruise Hotel or Airfare rates are not included in the price protection.
  • Lift & Shift can only be made once and must be done by November 30, 2020. Bookings for 2021 sail dates may shift to 2022 sail dates as long as the decision is made by November 30, 2020.
  • If you originally booked on a Christmas or New Year Holiday sailing, you may move to a Christmas or New Year Holiday sailing in the following year.
  • If you booked a Nonrefundable Deposit cruise, you may move it to the same time next year without a change fee, however, all penalties will move with the booking.
  • Once the Lift & Shift option has been applied you may not rebook on your original sailing.