Questions for our first cruise from Australia

Hi everyone!  🙂

My partner and I have just booked a cruise on the Carnival Splendor for November 2021, travelling from Toronto Canada.  I have a few questions regarding the ship....I have looked everywhere and can not find what the power outlets are on the Splendor...can anyone tell me if they are Australian or North American?  Is the ships currency in Australian dollars?  And lastly, which port out of Sydney does the Splendor sail from?  

We will be staying in Sydney for 5 or 6 days precruise and am wondering about hotel recommendations...is there an area that is central for tours/excursions as well as dining within walking distance?

Thank you for any advice!

Erin

7 minutes ago, erin1998 said:

Hi everyone!  🙂

My partner and I have just booked a cruise on the Carnival Splendor for November 2021, travelling from Toronto Canada.  I have a few questions regarding the ship....I have looked everywhere and can not find what the power outlets are on the Splendor...can anyone tell me if they are Australian or North American?  Is the ships currency in Australian dollars?  And lastly, which port out of Sydney does the Splendor sail from?  

We will be staying in Sydney for 5 or 6 days precruise and am wondering about hotel recommendations...is there an area that is central for tours/excursions as well as dining within walking distance?

Thank you for any advice!

Erin

If the cruise is from Australia, the currency will be AUD$. Carnival Splendor is scheduled to sail from Sydney.

There is a good range of Hotels near Circular Quay that is central for all your needs. Close to the cruise terminal, Trains, Buses and ferry's.

Regarding your question about the power outlets, this is from Carnival's website.

"On Australia itineraries, the staterooms on the Carnival Spirit and Carnival Splendor are fitted with a standard Australian 3-point plug or adaptor providing 220/240 volt 60Hz. Adapters are available for purchase if needed."

Fingers crossed Australia is open to cruising by the time of your cruise. I haven't been on Splendor but By the Bay has found the info for you for power outlets.

The currency onboard will be Australian $ and she will sail from the OPT (Overseas Passenger Terminal) at Circular Quay right in the centre of Sydney.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

1 hour ago, erin1998 said:

can anyone tell me if they are Australian or North American?

There should be one of each. Check if your devices can use universal voltages (most do) and if they do you should be able to use either socket (if you have an American to Australian plug adapter, usually less than $10).

If you are bringing several USB powered devices consider buying a USB multiport charger like this.

Sydney is a big city with lots of hotel options. The most central areas for tourists are Circular Quay and The Rocks. One of the best ways to see the city and harbour is by public ferry, which leave from Circular Quay. The Rocks is a historic area next door. Splendor docks at Circular Quay in between the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge.

Your ship will leave from circular quay which is just near the opera house.

If your staying for 5-6 nights go for a serviced apartment  .Just like a hotel but more like home. Kitchen,lounge room and sometimes cheaper.

Skye suites are something people are talking about.

Edited by Chiliburn

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Your ship will leave from circular quay which is just near the opera house.

If your staying for 5-6 nights go for a serviced apartment  .Just like a hotel but more like home. Kitchen,lounge room and sometimes cheaper.

Meriton Apartments are great, stayed at the one in Pitt St Mall a couple of times, self contained and reasonably close to the action down near the harbour.

You might like to consider staying at Potts Point, which is where I stay when I visit Sydney.  I love the neighbourhood which feels like Sydney to me.  Has lots of accommodation choices and places to eat.  Walking distance to the harbour and to the city through the Botanical Gardens. 

Circular Quay train station is the closest station to the Overseas Passenger Terminal.  It's an easy 5 minute stroll from the station.  Circular Quay station is on the "city circle" line (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_Quay_railway_station).  The moment the train pulls into the station, you'll see Splendor docked.

image.thumb.png.4be5fc68adb2457599271c22a9f28f5b.pngimage.thumb.png.06cb6579198960181933fe4cf4af67b8.png This is the view from the station.  This is in fact Legend when we were on her a couple of years ago. 

That station itself has large elavators, great for suitcases, etc.

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

You might like to consider staying at Potts Point, which is where I stay when I visit Sydney.  I love the neighbourhood which feels like Sydney to me.  Has lots of accommodation choices and places to eat.  Walking distance to the harbour and to the city through the Botanical Gardens. 

I recommend Holiday Inn at Potts Point, train stn is part of hotel complex. 50% cheaper than staying at Circular/Rocks.

Edited by NSWP

Holiday Inn is convenient near the train station, but I prefer the De Vere Hotel a basic good value hotel further down Macleay Street in a better neighbourhood closer to the harbour.  When you book direct, you get free wifi and you can choose standard of room you require.  Buffet breakfast is less expensive to buy from the hotel.  Airport shuttles drop you at the door and pick you up from hotel for return trip to the airport.  You can catch two local busses nearby  (one to Central Station, one to the city).

3 hours ago, plettza said:

Circular Quay train station is the closest station to the Overseas Passenger Terminal.  It's an easy 5 minute stroll from the station.  Circular Quay station is on the "city circle" line imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cb(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_Quay_railway_station).  The moment the train pulls into the station, you'll see Splendor docked.

image.thumb.png.4be5fc68adb2457599271c22a9f28f5b.pngimage.thumb.png.06cb6579198960181933fe4cf4af67b8.png This is the view from the station.  This is in fact Legend when we were on her a couple of years ago. 

That station itself has large elavators, great for suitcases, etc.

I find the elevators at Circular Quay station old & very steep and the lifts are tiny.  Have they been renovated recently?

25 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I find the elevators at Circular Quay station old & very steep and the lifts are tiny.  Have they been renovated recently?

Good question.  I went on my first cruise in 2017 and we used the lifts which were spacious but I hadn't been to Circular Quay station for years before that.  There may have been some work as it looked more "modern" than waht I remember years and years ago.

On 10/27/2020 at 2:37 AM, possum52 said:

Fingers crossed Australia is open to cruising by the time of your cruise. I haven't been on Splendor but By the Bay has found the info for you for power outlets.

The currency onboard will be Australian $ and she will sail from the OPT (Overseas Passenger Terminal) at Circular Quay right in the centre of Sydney.

Leigh

I really hope Australia will open its boarders and we will all have a chance for a more comfortable cruise with a stop in Sydney. I want to go to Australia so bad. I was recently watching Animal Planet and it was about Australian fauna. jjees, this place is amazing! 

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

I really hope Australia will open its boarders and we will all have a chance for a more comfortable cruise with a stop in Sydney. I want to go to Australia so bad. I was recently watching Animal Planet and it was about Australian fauna. jjees, this place is amazing! 

Australia is unlikely to open its borders while Covid is rampant in the US, Europe and some other countries.

Qantas has announced it will not be operating international flights until later next year. Princess has announced it will not be cruising from Australia at least until the end of May 2021. You would expect other cruise lines to do the same.

Leigh

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

We spotted a koala on our place the other day Roger.

They are a few and far between after last year’s bush fires .

F46972A6-B636-4FF0-A8E7-C6442CD6FC9E.thumb.png.8b03b5982334c58d14787503f8f79324.png

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 7:35 PM, Chiliburn said:

We spotted a koala on our place the other day Roger.

They are a few and far between after last year’s bush fires .

F46972A6-B636-4FF0-A8E7-C6442CD6FC9E.thumb.png.8b03b5982334c58d14787503f8f79324.png

An interesting fact;

Koala fingerprints are indistinguishable from human fingerprints. The closest of any animal to human.