Some of the staff are returning to the ships

matymil

I saw a blogger mention someone from st Martin coming back. That 1 or 2 carnival cruises just might go in December, though not as we remember cruises.

He said they were working with the WH to get started.

I've been saying just hold on until the election. Once that's known, cruiselines can make more firm plans.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I saw a blogger mention someone from st Martin coming back. That 1 or 2 carnival cruises just might go in December, though not as we remember cruises.

He said they were working with the WH to get started.

I've been saying just hold on until the election. Once that's known, cruiselines can make more firm plans.

What I read indicated those people in the picture in the above article are flying to St. Maarten to board their ships.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

What I read indicated those people in the picture in the above article are flying to St. Maarten to board their ships.

It sounded to me like that too. Thought I heard wrong. I was listening to one of those bloggers and wondered why staff was going to st. Martin. Maybe to start the 2 week quarantine? 

Many of the crew who were able to fly home had to go from St. Maarten because it was one of the few places that was allowing the international flights. I’m assuming that is still the case. I know the Horizon has been docked there for several days and maybe the Pride also. A couple of weeks ago the Dream was there for several days at least. Not sure how long because it was already there when I first looked. 

International travel is a huge challenge from many countries.  From various permits, closed offices to issue the required permits and COVID tests being expensive and hard to obtain many places; it is a challenge.  Have a Phillipino friend who is trying to get to the US or Bermuda.  2 weeks later he is still in the Phillipines.

The recent article on resuming cruises suggested 60 days to get a ship ready.  We will see if December cruising happens.  The CDC resisting its Do Not Cruise warning does not bode well for any cruises soon.

Obviously crew have to begin the slow return to ships eventually. However, I'm not certain this should mean much at this stage in the pandemic as current trends show this country is in complete dumpster fire mode with covid as vaccines (even if just 50-60% effective) are the only thing that will slow this runaway train down. In other words, don't expect much, if any cruising until April to May.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, matymil said:

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-begins-restaffing-cruise-ships-hope-december-2020-return/

Looks like staff are returning to afew of the ships that are supposed to start back up in December. Good news 🤞 i'll take any we get right now 

Yep. Cruising isn't waiting on politics; it's just waiting on the virus.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

How do we know they aren't being brought onboard simply to replace other crew nearing the end of their contracts?

The company that originally put this information and the pictures out, “CTI Jakarta”, is a service industries (housekeeping, servers, chefs, bartenders, etc) staffing company. Currently, the ships’ crew are not comprised of those positions. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

The company that originally put this information and the pictures out, “CTI Jakarta”, is a service industries (housekeeping, servers, chefs, bartenders, etc) staffing company. Currently, the ships’ crew are not comprised of those positions. 

Who is cooking the food for officers? Some of these employees are the least expensive ones onboard in terms of payroll costs... cross training is an option.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Who is cooking the food for officers? Some of these employees are the least expensive ones onboard in terms of payroll costs... cross training is an option.

Not only the officers need to be fed, but the deck and engine ratings as well.  In a minimum crew of about 100, there will be likely 20 "hotel" staff, manning the crew galley (cooking, dishwashing) and doing laundry.  So, yes, there are the types of crew that CTI Jakarta employs currently onboard.  However, a quick search around CTI shows that they also provide Indonesians for deck and engine rating positions as well as hotel staff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

And you would need a whole lot more of these employees to feed a cruise ship even with reduced capacity than to just feed the officers and others in the skeleton crew.

16 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Stellarose, I hope so for you too, it is wonderful to anticipate a cruise, and just as wonderful to be on one. We are booked January 3, 2021 out of Miami, let's get cruising.

We agree. The months waiting before the cruise we call the "getting there" and getting there is half the fun. The Carnival Corporation has owned the Cunard Line for many years so this poster seems fitting. Let's hope our long international nightmare is over very, very soon.

bf3d329e3809f8dca88acd223a9ca29b.jpg