Mykonos a few ideas for a sun filled day.

DavietheScot

What to do on Mykonos on a nice sun filled day?  You do what most visitors (who stay on the island) do.  If the weather is good (which is the norm during the spring/summer/fall season) you go to a beach!  When DW and I have had port days on Mykonos we usually take a local bus out to Paradise Beach (and sometimes catch a boat from there over to nearby Super Paradise) and spend a few hours in rented beach loungers with a few dips in the sea.  We later head back into Mykonos Town where we might shop and ultimately go to one of the outdoor cafes that overlook the harbor.  It is then time for more drink and some food before we head back to the port (we sometimes walk, sometimes find a shuttle bus, and once we grabbed a taxi).

Another option is to rent a car and drive the island.  But we have never been overwhelmed by touring Mykonos as we only see it as a place with beaches, resorts, small hotels, and a small/decent town.

Hank

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 9:21 AM, Anyislandwilldo said:

Great pictures!!  Was this part of an excursion?  thanks.

No, we took the ship's bus into town and spent the day wandering around. It is a pretty confined area.  Everything was in walking distance.  Had a nice lunch right next to the water.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/30/2020 at 11:06 PM, Hlitner said:

What to do on Mykonos on a nice sun filled day?  You do what most visitors (who stay on the island) do.  If the weather is good (which is the norm during the spring/summer/fall season) you go to a beach!  When DW and I have had port days on Mykonos we usually take a local bus out to Paradise Beach (and sometimes catch a boat from there over to nearby Super Paradise) and spend a few hours in rented beach loungers with a few dips in the sea.  We later head back into Mykonos Town where we might shop and ultimately go to one of the outdoor cafes that overlook the harbor.  It is then time for more drink and some food before we head back to the port (we sometimes walk, sometimes find a shuttle bus, and once we grabbed a taxi).

Another option is to rent a car and drive the island.  But we have never been overwhelmed by touring Mykonos as we only see it as a place with beaches, resorts, small hotels, and a small/decent town.

Hank

Each to there own Hank but it offers a little bit more than simply beaches. 

I wonder if there are any upscale Greek hotels that offer day passes to cruise passengers.  We are on a back-to-back and will be in Mykonos twice in 6 days.  The 2nd time, we might just like to lay around a nice pool.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 5:41 PM, Lindancer said:

I wonder if there are any upscale Greek hotels that offer day passes to cruise passengers.  We are on a back-to-back and will be in Mykonos twice in 6 days.  The 2nd time, we might just like to lay around a nice pool.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

What cruise line are you on?  Because Celebrity is forcing us to get a tour for Mykonos 😞

Just now, camella said:

What cruise line are you on?  Because Celebrity is forcing us to get a tour for Mykonos 😞

Holland America, but they're also still stopping in Israel.  Don't know what's on their minds!  They encourage ship shore excursions, but aren't requiring it - YET!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lindancer said:

Holland America, but they're also still stopping in Israel.  Don't know what's on their minds!  They encourage ship shore excursions, but aren't requiring it - YET!

Wow lucky you!  Our Israel portion got cancelled and I know that Royal Caribbean was allowing their passengers to get off in Mykonos without a tour and also Celebrity was allowing it as of the cruise of July 9th.  So I can't imagine what has changed so much that they are now requiring a tour when Mykonos has just lifted all restrictions again.  Makes you dizzy just thinking about it.  I love Mykonos but have absolutely no interest in any of the tours they have to offer.  Maybe that's why they're requiring them!  lol

I am on NCL and they do not require tours. I'd be very sad if that was added on as we never take ship tours. I like being on my own away from the crowds. They have added masks on board but I believe that is an EU rule.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting posts about Mykonos.  We were at Mykonos about 10 days ago on the Seabourn Ovation and there were no restrictions on going ashore on our own.  Another ship in port (Celestyal cruises) also did not restrict their passengers.  There is currently no Greek government requirement that ships restrict their passengers (other then having them follow local rules).   I cannot imagine doing the Greek Islands with mandatory tours, but then we are very independent travelers and usually avoid tours like the plague (or COVID).

Hank

It looks as if it's more about the cruise company's rules than the Government or Local authorities because as has been demonstrated a few times since cruiseing restarted in Europe there can be two ships at the same port and one has ship only excursions and the other has passengers able to walk off. Just more confusing rules with very little real Sicence if any behind them. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, MomtoCCC said:

Do you know if you can catch cab at port to take us directly to beach?  or do we have to take shuttle into town and catch bus or cab there?

We have been looking into this also for our 2023 cruise, apparently there are only a very small number of taxis on the island so they are hard to come by and expensive but the bus is frequent in the summer months.

4 hours ago, Tin can said:

We have been looking into this also for our 2023 cruise, apparently there are only a very small number of taxis on the island so they are hard to come by and expensive but the bus is frequent in the summer months.

I went back and checked our itinerary.  Apparently we are tendering in Mykonos so we will be dropped off in the main town.  Easier to catch bus from here.  Thanks.