Who's booked for May 2021?

HappyInVan

IMO, it may be necessary to think ahead to May 2021.

“U.S. coronavirus trajectory looks ‘a lot like Europe’ as cases rise, Dr. Scott Gottlieb warns... “We’re about maybe three weeks behind Europe,” he said, adding that U.S. outbreak “is going to get worse.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/28/scott-gottlieb-covid-trajectory-in-us-looks-a-lot-like-europe-.html

Lock downs will be necessary as hospitals and ICU fill up.

For myself, I'm booked for Iceland August 2021. I hope that it won't be necessary to quarantine...

“Passengers arriving in Iceland on and after 19 August 2020 may choose either to submit to two screening tests for COVID-19, separated by five days’ quarantine until the results of the second test are known, or else not to undergo border screening but instead to spend 14 days in quarantine after arrival. “

https://www.government.is/news/article/2020/08/18/New-rules-on-quarantine-isolation-and-screening-at-the-border/

To the OP, I feel it is indeed necessary to look ahead to May 2021.  We are booked on the Westerdam in the Mediterranean in late May and early June. I feel only about 25% confident that this cruise will take place at all, and less so with the current itinerary. We'll evaluate before the final payment date, unless HAL or the EU makes the cancellation decision for us beforehand.

I also think that the Westerdam's SA/Antarctica program will be cancelled this winter, possibly making the Mediterranean their first potential return to service with the current lineup of itineraries.

• Like 1

My May walkover cruises from the premier Ryndam/Rotterdam to the Westerdam no longer works due to the delay in the building of Rotterdam.  So to do both I would need to fly to Europe twice now or stay for four months. 

As of last week Canadians are not allowed to fly to the EU.  So with cases increasing everywhere I am very concerned that the May sailings will be cancelled.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sundagger said:

My "significant other" and I are booked to Alaska from Vancouver in May of 2021 on the Koningsdam. We were booked last May, but it was cancelled. I'm getting very anxious - but I know that another cancellation is possible.

I'm also booked in May for an Alaskan cruise, except mine is out of Seattle.  I have until Feb to cancel but I'm mostly leaning that way already.  Even if Canada opens it's ports, I'm not too keen on leaving the US while the world is seeing a relapse.  It's probably best to stay put where I know my health care is top notch and I'm well covered. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

I feel only about 25% confident that this cruise will take place at all, and less so with the current itinerary.

It is what it is. Fortunately, we have many alternatives and diversions. Stay cool, stay safe. 👍

• Like 1

While not a May cruise, we just cancelled our March Asia cruises (28 Day B2B) on the Noordam. Our next booked cruise is now August 2021 (Greenland on Princess). Until we actually have an approval and effective vaccine, we only give this one a 50% chance at this time. But final payment is way off (May 2021) so we have some time to continue to stay safe and healthy. 

26 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I am booked for B2B northbound and southbound Alaska in May 2021.  Both roll calls started.  Discounted excursions already purchased.

I really hope that your excursions will be there by the time you start your trip. Unfortunately, some restrictions may apply at some very inappropriate time. Moreover, the groups might be limited and some places may be closed for a quarantine 

After having five cruises cancelled over the pandemic shutdown, I learned to make a single cruise payment on the final payment due date and to purchase only "high-demand" excursions.  When booking pasenger-restricted Alaska flying excursions for dogsledding, Taku Lodge, glacier trekking, etc, it is imperative to book ASAP and take the chance that the cruise will be cancelled.

FWIW my experience over the past pandemic months is that excursion refunds are much quicker than cruise-fare refunds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are booked to cruise up to Alaska in May and cruise back to Vancouver in June. I plan to buy HAL's CFAR insurance for both cruises and cancel if there are still restrictions such as mask requirements when the cruises start.

1 hour ago, IPB4IGO said:

We are booked to cruise up to Alaska in May and cruise back to Vancouver in June. I plan to buy HAL's CFAR insurance for both cruises and cancel if there are still restrictions such as mask requirements when the cruises start.

Love your "name", lol!  My mother taught me the same thing! 😎

• Haha 1

Boston to Montreal, the same cruise that was cancelled this past May, and it will likely be cancelled as well. 

It is possible our April cruise to Bermuda (Carnival from Baltimore) will take place.  Here's hoping.

My sister and BIL are booked on the Nieuw Statendam Baltic cruise out of Amsterdam in May 2021, which was re-booked from the cancelled May 2020 cruise. While we are faring quite well here in Atlantic Canada, they are not optimistic that they will be sailing in 7 months, but are hoping for the best.

Booked april( Westerdam) and august 2021(Statendam) . Both in Europe. But I might do one sooner on another cruiseline in European waters, see how TUI and Costa ( not my choice under normal circumstances) are faring the next couple of months. So far hardly any problems. TUI had some positives , but those turned out to be false. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

Cruising in May? Forget it. One only has to look at how the pandemic has been managed(?) in the last 10 months with next May only 6 months away. I will stick my neck out and also suggest that a vaccine will not be widely available by then nor in sufficient quantity with sufficient take up. And lets not forget the logistics of ships being serviced or crewed when the countries that supply crew may be even further behind in managing the virus.

Sorry to be a grinch.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 7:41 PM, Indianadaytripper said:

Booked on the Westerdam in April, Ft.Lauderdale to Europe on a back to back with brother and sisters. There first cruises. Hoping things get back close to normal. But know that’s close to impossible.

Are you on the Westerdam April 5 and May 2 roll calls?  If not, please consider joining.

On 10/28/2020 at 3:01 PM, Sundagger said:

My "significant other" and I are booked to Alaska from Vancouver in May of 2021 on the Koningsdam. We were booked last May, but it was cancelled. I'm getting very anxious - but I know that another cancellation is possible.

We are on the 5/15/21 cruise on Koningsdam.  Its our first HAL cruise and I'm really hoping we can go!!!! 🤞