? for Copper 10-8 Crew staffing

57redbird

Probably 100 or less on any ship, mostly deck and engine departmens, a few galley staff to feed them.  Mariners are used to long work tours, when I worked for NCL, I had several guys in the engine department who were on their 3rd, consecutive, 10 month contract, with no time off between.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/28/2020 at 2:22 PM, chengkp75 said:

Mariners are used to long work tours, when I worked for NCL, I had several guys in the engine department who were on their 3rd, consecutive, 10 month contract, with no time off between.

Wow!  Did these gentlemen have no immediate families?  

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Wow!  Did these gentlemen have no immediate families?  

No, most were married with children.  It's just that to provide the lifestyle that they want (perhaps home ownership, or support for extended family), they make the sacrifice that all mariners make.  If you take the life, you will lose out on many of "normal" life's milestones.  I missed the deaths of both of my parents, and both of my wife's parents, and some of the kid's graduations and such.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

No, most were married with children.  It's just that to provide the lifestyle that they want (perhaps home ownership, or support for extended family), they make the sacrifice that all mariners make.  If you take the life, you will lose out on many of "normal" life's milestones.  I missed the deaths of both of my parents, and both of my wife's parents, and some of the kid's graduations and such.

Another "peak behind the screen" aboard a cruise ship that many cruise guests never thought to consider.  

Thanks for your post!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Another thing to consider is the fact that most Mariners, both Engine as Deck, have a relatively short career at sea. Of my Class of 20 Cadets at Maritime Academy Antwerp, none are still “at Sea” after 24 years, most became Master of a vessel in their late 20’s early 30’s and after a couple of years focus on their family.

Most find a shoreside employment, or become a pilot.
A notable exception is the Cruise Industry though, as this tends to be more of a long-term career option with ( often much) slower progress through the ranks. 
Personally, Now that I have an infant son, I would not be able to be away from home for 3 months ( If you are a Captain, otherwise it is more). I am now doing a month on/ off rotation where I work, and that is already heavy for the family.

Your Cruise ship Crew makes a lot of sacrifices to he able to give you a dream vacation. That is hard, but they all do it because of  a Passion for the job and the calling of the Sea.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Despegue said:

Another thing to consider is the fact that most Mariners, both Engine as Deck, have a relatively short career at sea. Of my Class of 20 Cadets at Maritime Academy Antwerp, none are still “at Sea” after 24 years, most became Master of a vessel in their late 20’s early 30’s and after a couple of years focus on their family.

A notable exception is the Cruise Industry though, as this tends to be more of a long-term career option with ( often much) slower progress through the ranks. 
Personally, Now that I have an infant son, I would not be able to be away from home for 3 months ( If you are a Captain, otherwise it is more). I am now doing a month on/ off rotation where I work, and that is already heavy for the family.

Your Cruise ship Crew makes a lot of sacrifices to he able to give you a dream vacation. That is hard, but they all do it because of  a Passion for the job and the calling of the Sea.

Toen wij uit Rotterdam vertrokken, vertrokken wij uit Rotterdam..

7 hours ago, Despegue said:

While this has been an increasing trend among young officers during my 45 years at sea, at least for US and European officers, there are always a few old timers onboard every ship, and for officers and crew from countries like India, Philippines, Indonesia, and the like, long term careers on all types of ships is common.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Himself said:

Everyone is answering except Copper 10/8.  He is either away or does not have the answer to the question.

I thought chengkp75's answer is pretty good.  Probably not a lot to add to that.

Roy

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Despegue said:

True; I have had crew who have told me that the money they earn provides a better standard of living for their families than what they could provide if they chose to work in their home countries.  I'll never forget a Dining Room Steward on the Volendam in 2002--Ronnie--who wanted to earn enough money to start his own restaurant in Indonesia in the future.  I have wondered if his dream ever was fulfilled.  I thought he had the talent/ability to be a good restaurant owner.   

1 hour ago, frankc98376 said:

He may be working. Still security needs on the ships

Since they are now essentially cargo ships, no there isn't a need for security onboard, but the senior Security Officer may still be onboard, just to keep him/her employed.