Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

1 hour ago, ellie1145 said:

Thank you, Purple Traveller, glad you enjoyed my little story, and I really appreciate your discretion. The last thing I would want would be for anyone else to hear about my young love. 

But I will, if you don’t mind me digressing, tell you a little story about my Greek romance which shows how things have changed on ships. 

After our cruise on Ellinis, Christos was due to leave the ship early on the morning when we docked, so I set my alarm and went up on deck to wave him goodbye. He had asked my parents if I could fly out to Athens and stay at his home but unfortunately my parents said no, and this was the last time I would ever see him.

When my Greek love left the Chandris fleet to work in New York I continued to correspond with his sister in Athens. Two years later my parents took me and my sister on a cruise on an English ship, the Canberra, and I had just got engaged to my DH.

When I told Christos’ sister that we would be in Athens she said she would come and meet me, although we could not make arrangements on how we would do that as it was a tendering port, so timings were going to be difficult, and there were no mobile phones in those day. 

Canberra was too large to dock in Piraeus so we had to tender into the port. Unfortunately, my father had been taken off early that morning, accompanied by the ship’s doctor,  to see an eye consultant, as he had symptoms of a detached retina, so my sister and I went into the city on our own, taking a bus from the dock. We had no idea whether Anthoula would manage to meet up with us. 

When we returned, there was a note in our cabin from Anthoula. She had come to the dock and made enquiries about us, and had been allowed on the tender, and then on the ship, to look for us, eventually finding our cabin and leaving a note under the door.

Can you imagine that happening nowadays? With all the security it would have been a complete no no! 

As for where he is now, I imagine that he is still in New York, if he is still alive. I was sweet 16 and he was 26 so who knows? It’s 55 years ago but I hope he had a happy and successful life. I was certainly very lucky to meet and marry my wonderful DH, and I hope he met someone nice, too. 

That is all so wonderful to hear! How times gave changed! These days besides the security aspect of something dangerous or illegal being brought aboard, the cruiseline would be worried that a person would stowaway as they would not want to leave the ship once they saw how lovely it was. I am so glad you found your wonderful DH and I hope Christos found his own DW. 💜

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

That is all so wonderful to hear! How times gave changed! These days besides the security aspect of something dangerous or illegal being brought aboard, the cruiseline would be worried that a person would stowaway as they would not want to leave the ship once they saw how lovely it was. I am so glad you found your wonderful DH and I hope Christos found his own DW. 💜

Thank you PT.. and remember, not a word to anyone....😉

• Like 1

Underneath the  leaves of the banyan tree

Down in old Lahaina Town

I could feel the warmth of the ocean breeze

Smiling faces all around...

Ukulele Mike Lynch

As we walk away from the lovely ladies we are offered a beautiful orchid. What a wonderful way to greet us and welcome us to Lahaina.

Lahaina was, from 1820-1845, the capital of Hawaii. It provided an important anchorage for the many whaling ships which arrived in 1819, returning each year to hunt for sperm whales. The whaling fleet was of huge economic significance to the islands, as the population was involved in supplying the ships with fresh provisions. The whalers also liked to dock in Lahaina as, after months at sea, they were eager for some entertainment, and plenty of grog.

Unfortunately for the whalers, the American missionaries did everything they could to put paid to such immorality, and this led to a number of riots.

DSC01038.thumb.JPG.64b066d75b73aa09a3e2bf49594cf9b6.JPG

As we walk out of the pier area we see ahead of us the famous Banyan Tree Park, which is on the corner of Front Street and Canal Street. This park stands on the original site of the Old Lahaina Fort, which was built in 1831 to protect the town from the rioting whalers.

E3A50197-7E2F-4EF6-92AC-EAF62F1AC237.thumb.jpeg.1cdced3d347715b185c24fac2fd604d9.jpeg

In 1873, Sheriff William Owen Smith planted an Indian banyan tree in the courtyard square to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first American Protestant mission.

B92D8FF3-AB4E-4DD1-8F69-4345650E7A90.thumb.jpeg.e9d542f64b5e15368499cfc84d73a34d.jpeg

This park is certainly something not to miss as that original banyan tree, its trunk and aerial root system, now covers 0.66 acres, and is one of the largest banyan trees in the United States. At sunset, the roots are occupied by a flock of mynah birds. Unfortunately, these roots have also attracted graffiti.

1C62393E-337E-4788-82F9-2D82852CCA8D.thumb.png.c2c2789fc8865bc3f5c24cb84663ebbb.png

FA81B9D0-8B2D-4E62-A215-4E0CB0A4EB29.thumb.jpeg.21c06cfb25617b405cb2893fe3bd612b.jpeg

It really is an amazing sight, these huge root systems which spread out across the park. We wander round  and I take photos as we go. It is a rather overcast day so far, but lovely and warm.

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

Ellie I have memories as a small child when my Grandmother sailed from Liverpool to Quebec . We used to go on the ship ,how grand it seemed as a little girl . Wooden decks and very basic cabins with no bathroom .

We would have quite an elaborate tea and then go on the dock.

I remember the streamers breaking as the ship sailed it was quite magical .

Empress Of Canada I believe.

• Like 1

Boat Days used to be the highlight of the day.  Everyone would go down to Aloha Towers to great the Lurline (or sister ships).  There would be coin divers, hula girls, music, and streamers, leis tossed over board when the ship left to assure that you too would be returning to the islands.  The history was painted in murals in the old terminal...gone are those days.

PS....I’ve having difficulties accessing this thread from my computer (using iPad now).  Thread too long to load?  Computer? Me?

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

I don't recall if I posted this in this thread, but my dad shipped out on the way to Guadalcanal on the Lurline which was pressed into service as a troop transport.  He recounted it was too hot below decks and many Marines would grab their blankets and sleep on deck.  His story of seeing the Southern Cross for the first time was mesmerizing to me as a little boy.  Many years later I asked if he'd want to take a cruise with us.  His response was: "not only no, but heck no, too much time spent on a cruise liner to ever want to go back."  It was a neat find to see the photos in Aloha Tower of those "boat days" including the Lurline.

P1010233.JPG

Edited by Papa Yoda
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

There's a thread about this issue. Apparently, IT did an update that basically broke the website for almost everyone.

Sounds about right every time any website does an update we suffer! lol

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Down in old Lahaina Town

Ukulele Mike Lynch

As we walk away from the lovely ladies we are offered a beautiful orchid. What a wonderful way to greet us and welcome us to Lahaina.

Lahaina was, from 1820-1845, the capital of Hawaii. It provided an important anchorage for the many whaling ships which arrived in 1819, returning each year to hunt for sperm whales. The whaling fleet was of huge economic significance to the islands, as the population was involved in supplying the ships with fresh provisions. The whalers also liked to dock in Lahaina as, after months at sea, they were eager for some entertainment, and plenty of grog.

Unfortunately for the whalers, the American missionaries did everything they could to put paid to such immorality, and this led to a number of riots.

As we walk out of the pier area we see ahead of us the famous Banyan Tree Park, which is on the corner of Front Street and Canal Street. This park stands on the original site of the Old Lahaina Fort, which was built in 1831 to protect the town from the rioting whalers.

E3A50197-7E2F-4EF6-92AC-EAF62F1AC237.thumb.jpeg.1cdced3d347715b185c24fac2fd604d9.jpeg

In 1873, Sheriff William Owen Smith planted an Indian banyan tree in the courtyard square to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first American Protestant mission.

B92D8FF3-AB4E-4DD1-8F69-4345650E7A90.thumb.jpeg.e9d542f64b5e15368499cfc84d73a34d.jpeg

This park is certainly something not to miss as that original banyan tree, its trunk and aerial root system, now covers 0.66 acres, and is one of the largest banyan trees in the United States. At sunset, the roots are occupied by a flock of mynah birds. Unfortunately, these roots have also attracted graffiti.

1C62393E-337E-4788-82F9-2D82852CCA8D.thumb.png.c2c2789fc8865bc3f5c24cb84663ebbb.png

FA81B9D0-8B2D-4E62-A215-4E0CB0A4EB29.thumb.jpeg.21c06cfb25617b405cb2893fe3bd612b.jpeg

It really is an amazing sight, these huge root systems which spread out across the park. We wander round  and I take photos as we go. It is a rather overcast day so far, but lovely and warm.

Ellie just remember how much we appreciate your stories! TY 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 7:28 PM, ellie1145 said:

Down in old Lahaina Town

Ukulele Mike Lynch

Those tress are fascinating!  Hard to imagine some of them are 1 and 1/2 centuries or more old.  There is actually a banyan tree in Kolkuta (formerly known as Calcutta) that's about 250 years old and occupies a space close to five acres.  Incredible!!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 11:35 PM, Papa Yoda said:

I don't recall if I posted this in this thread, but my dad shipped out on the way to Guadalcanal on the Lurline which was pressed into service as a troop transport.  He recounted it was too hot below decks and many Marines would grab their blankets and sleep on deck.  His story of seeing the Southern Cross for the first time was mesmerizing to me as a little boy.  Many years later I asked if he'd want to take a cruise with us.  His response was: "not only no, but heck no, too much time spent on a cruise liner to ever want to go back."  It was a neat find to see the photos in Aloha Tower of those "boat days" including the Lurline.

P1010233.JPG

wow that is some history you have shared;  and you have pics too.  Nice.  Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Absolutely loving this journey and hope to be on it in the future. 2 separate LA rt to Hawaii had to be cancelled for medical reasons. 

My first time on Oahu was October 1960 with a girl friend and her aunt and uncle. Have very fond memories and photos that I cherish. 

Anyone else remember photographers would take a photo of you walking down the street and then a day or so later, they were available to buy at the old Marketplace in downtown Waikiki close to the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 3:43 AM, DUCHESSRN said:

Ellie I have memories as a small child when my Grandmother sailed from Liverpool to Quebec . We used to go on the ship ,how grand it seemed as a little girl . Wooden decks and very basic cabins with no bathroom .

We would have quite an elaborate tea and then go on the dock.

I remember the streamers breaking as the ship sailed it was quite magical .

Empress Of Canada I believe.

What a fantastic story, DUCHESSRN.  Did you grandmother emigrate first and your family later? I hope you don’t mind me asking, but it is so fascinating learning about how these brave emigrants crossed the Atlantic to start a new life in places like Canada.

What stories they must have had to tell. 

On 5/16/2021 at 4:12 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

Boat Days used to be the highlight of the day.  Everyone would go down to Aloha Towers to great the Lurline (or sister ships).  There would be coin divers, hula girls, music, and streamers, leis tossed over board when the ship left to assure that you too would be returning to the islands.  The history was painted in murals in the old terminal...gone are those days.

PS....I’ve having difficulties accessing this thread from my computer (using iPad now).  Thread too long to load?  Computer? Me?

What a sight that must have been, cr8tiv1. It must have been exciting to see those beautiful ships sailing out of the harbour. 

On 5/16/2021 at 4:35 AM, Papa Yoda said:

P1010233.JPG

Thank you for posting the photos and telling us about your father. What a welcome the ship received when it arrived in Hawaii. It must have been quite an experience. 

The Lurline was a beautiful ship, and even after she was purchased by Chandris Lines, and renamed Ellinis, she was still an elegant and very classic liner. Chandris increased her passenger number to 1668 in one class, from an incredibly small 715 passengers in first and tourist class combined. 

I am always amused when people say they hate the big mega ships because they have too many people, as Ellinis was just 24,351 tons, with nearly 1700 passengers, whilst some of the 250,000 ton ships carry 6750 passengers, in a ship that is 10 times bigger by weight (and is probably lighter in superstructure). And yet, we never noticed that Ellinis was crowded, and of course few people if any had balconies! Mind you, the promenade deck and pool deck were usually pretty full, and we were just so thrilled to be cruising that nothing could have detracted from our enjoyment. 🤣

5 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Those tress are fascinating!  Hard to imagine some of them are 1 and 1/2 centuries or more old.  There is actually a banyan tree in Kolkuta (formerly known as Calcutta) that's about 250 years old and occupies a space close to five acres.  Incredible!!

I don’t think I had ever seen a banyan tree like it until we went to Lahaina. They are truly incredible, aren’t they? That one in Calcutta must be a sight to see! 

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

wow that is some history you have shared;  and you have pics too.  Nice.  Thanks for sharing

That’s the beauty of a thread like this, there are so many people who have fascinating tales to tell and who are willing to share their stories and photos. Thank you everyone! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, judy-judy said:

Absolutely loving this journey and hope to be on it in the future. 2 separate LA rt to Hawaii had to be cancelled for medical reasons. 

My first time on Oahu was October 1960 with a girl friend and her aunt and uncle. Have very fond memories and photos that I cherish. 

Anyone else remember photographers would take a photo of you walking down the street and then a day or so later, they were available to buy at the old Marketplace in downtown Waikiki close to the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?

Glad you are enjoying our adventure, just-Judy. I hope that you will eventually be able to experience a Hawaiian cruise in the not too distant future,  and that your medical issues will be resolved to enable you to do just that. 

I love hearing about people’s memories. Thank you for sharing. 

88339A5C-B08B-448F-B4EF-A471DAC624FD.thumb.jpeg.bf5c16900de17a6b014d4e2049902895.jpeg

We meander through the park admiring the wonderful banyan tree, and find ourselves in the town. It is a delightful walk, with beautiful buildings and lots of shops and stalls.

6608C83A-DC70-4B51-9DEA-BAA77D2F0E70.thumb.jpeg.a67b10faecdc8b500f91dc3e9b13bab1.jpeg

We stop to look at some beautiful wood carvings. The whale tails are particularly impressive, but a little too heavy for us to bring back home. 

BD916A87-C8E2-49ED-9CB9-A4CBB7D9E5CE.thumb.jpeg.5cb953d75939e2b2c9c5ac7c9f4a5cd0.jpeg

C510B71A-A770-4B09-94E9-DB1F1FE827AE.thumb.jpeg.85f34ac0930b454807a75b0fa476451a.jpeg

0212E80C-65CC-4E21-A762-03C1C1EBAFBE.thumb.jpeg.73b5e5e62f510f229f35a2d68d568047.jpeg

After a lovely leisurely walk around the town we decide to pop back to the ship for lunch and to return this afternoon for me to swim.

AE7FA461-59F9-4B39-9C7F-289E6F8DA5E1.thumb.jpeg.02c38b0b2d74ea8855d9c7d9e19b41b2.jpeg

9069C173-B624-4678-B052-6FE9AE907D45.thumb.jpeg.a74d11d121d7be7b008aaabd46b7c35f.jpeg

As we approach the little dock we can see the tenders busy transporting passengers to and from the island. It is very well organised, as usual, and as there is no queue, we are back on the ship in no time.

AA355D08-D828-4791-A5B9-62A8D8837F66.thumb.jpeg.c0c62ec5d77a5a8bdb500fb1d89bf97d.jpeg

A  tender is fast approaching. 

1FAC90E6-8CBB-42DE-8CDE-F6682D91BB80.thumb.jpeg.4638abc73922f3b51a298de30e11cfb5.jpeg

B68B07C0-29CE-4F35-A647-C6A506542CFA.thumb.jpeg.4ad1f449f64b7ea8868b7eabc6156e0a.jpeg

DSC01039.thumb.JPG.aae33bb92be4ec320ca30abf0e2bb1fd.JPG

DSC01040.thumb.JPG.a11463c27e5a53c23dc3a804e6f13d9f.JPG

DSC01041.thumb.JPG.44bca60c24cef9fc15145e361f24e973.JPG

DSC01042.thumb.JPG.cd7935eb272936cfad889740c735ce41.JPG

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

What a fantastic story, DUCHESSRN.  Did you grandmother emigrate first and your family later? I hope you don’t mind me asking, but it is so fascinating learning about how these brave emigrants crossed the Atlantic to start a new life in places like Canada.

What stories they must have had to tell. 

Sadly I do not have all the details ,my Grandmothers Brother lived  in Canada .I lived in Montreal from 1950 for a couple of years then back to UK .I did not move to USA until 1983 rather reluctantly I might add. Took me a while to settle in here .

• Like 1

I am loving this blog, as I did the one prior.  Is there a chance there will be another one after this?  It really helps to pass the time while waiting to cruise again.  I just had another cruise (this makes 9) cancelled.  This was on the Enchanted Princess for a 22-day sail in the Med.  It is depressing.  I want to get back to causing.  We booked as trans-Atlantic in November and am hoping that it will not also be cancelled.  In the mean time, I live through your blogs.

Marilee