Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

On 6/23/2021 at 3:46 AM, Papa Yoda said:

6.  Where would you have seen the Blue Meanies?

From your Yellow Submarine of course!

Hello again, Papa Yoda!

You are absolutely right. The Blue Meanies appeared in that iconic Beatles movie, Yellow Submarine!

Your updated, mini Tardis will be winging its way to you as well!

On 6/23/2021 at 10:53 AM, PurpleTraveller said:

2. Men take part in a Decathlon. Women compete in a Heptathlon.

Well done, Purple Traveller. women do, indeed, take part in a heptathlon with 7 events rather than the 10 for men.

Your upgraded, updated mini Tardis will be winging its way to you via Amazon, the river of course. Hope you enjoy using it! 😉

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 7:29 PM, USCcruisecrazy said:

Finally knew a couple and got beat responding...1 and 2 as said are From Here to Eternity and Heptathlon.   Da Vinci and Churchill both suffered from aixelsyD or is that Dyslexia???

Hi, USCcruisecrazy. Nice to hear from you again.

Winston Churchill and Da Vinci both suffered from Dyslexia. Thankfully it didn’t hold them back. 

Your upgraded, updated, mini Tardis will be winging its way to you imminently. I wonder which cruise  you will want to return to? 😉

On 6/22/2021 at 10:43 PM, ellie1145 said:

1.   What 1953 film did Frank Sinatra star in which was based in Hawaii?  From Here to Eternity

2,   Men take part in a Decathlon. What do women compete in? Heptathlon

3.   What problem did Leonardo da Vinci and Winston Churchill suffer from? Dyslexia

4.  What is Horology?

5.  Who invented celluloid?

6.  Where would you have seen the Blue Meanies? Yellow Submarine

7.  What is the largest capital city in Africa?

8.  What is the name of the 18th century opera house in Milan?

Still a few brain teasers to answer…….🙃

After our trivia session two of our team mates slip off to join the Progressive Ukulele Class in the Adagio Bar on Deck 16, and we sit and chat a bit longer. We scored 17 out of 20 this time but sadly, it’s not enough to win.

We don’t have long until we must meet again for our Progressive Trivia Challenge in Club Fusion, so we decide to remain in our seats and I write a few emails on my ipad while we wait.

I wonder how many of you know the answer to these questions?

1. What is the heaviest bird in the world? OSTRICH. We got that one!

2. What is the most common insect? BEETLE.

We missed that one, thought it was ants. Now there is some dispute about our Quiz Master’s answer, but he takes no prisoners, and insists it is Beetles. Mr Google gives both answers.

3. What is the best selling car of all time? TOYOTA COROLLA. We didn’t know that one, thought it was the VW Golf, but we were wrong, as it comes third.

4. Which country has the largest man-powered armed force in the world? Well we guessed correctly, it is CHINA. They have a staggering 2.19 million active personnel. USA comes a close third with nearly 1.5 million.

Well, even if you didn’t know the answers at least you will know them next time you are asked the questions. Sadly, I always think I will remember the answers and usually end up failing miserably!

After a quick lunch in the buffet I abandon DH and make my way down to the Conference Room on Deck 6, as there is Hawaiian Orchid Lei Making and find a huge queue already lined up. I join it anyway, and at 1.15 the doors open and people are let in. Unfortunately, before I get to the front of the queue they reach maximum numbers, which is disappointing. But those of us who are left receive special tickets for tomorrow’s session so that it great.

Today there is Planetarium@Sea in the Princess Theatre at 1.00 pm, 2.00 pm and 3.30 pm. There is limited availability, but sessions run every 15 minutes.

There is also Dicey Wooden Horse Racing, and Concerts@Sea:The Rolling Stones Havana Moon Live in Cuba.

Although I haven’t made it to the Lei making we do meet up with our team mates for TV Themes Music Trivia in Club Fusion at 2.15 pm. We do really well, we think, and score 36, but sadly a team beats us with 38 points - “Always the bridesmaid, never the bride…”

There are lots of great trivia players onboard this ship and it makes for even more fun. It’s all done in good heart anyway. 

Although we Brits don’t know all the answers and have to rely on our American friends, it is surprising how many of these TV shows are familiar to us - Sesame St, Happy Days, Taxi, MASH, Charlie’s Angels, Wonder Woman, Miami Vice, Magnum PI and Love Boat.

I always remember the first time we visited Miami on our first cruise, when we drove over that iconic bridge which features in Miami Vice. We couldn’t believe that we were actually in the place that we had watched on TV and never thought we’d see. It was an incredible feeling of excitement. We still feel the same sense of excitement each and every time we set foot on American soil.

Then, of course, it’s time for Afternoon Tea followed by Afternoon Trivia. We do quite well, scoring a very creditable 17, but guess what? Yes, a team scores 18 and dashes our hopes! Ah well, there is always tomorrow!

We sit and chat for a bit and then make our way up to the buffet for a quick cup of tea before heading to the Theatre for tonight’s Showtime, which features Jenner Caramielo, who sings a variety of songs from Broadway, Opera and Pop music.

It is time to get ready for dinner so we return to our cabin, where I see that there is a beautiful sunset. There is just time for me to pop out upstairs and take a few photos of a beautiful sunset.

3EF07CCB-10CD-499F-8275-19F35293B4C8.thumb.jpeg.524a71eaf622cc973c6c4508f09fd47c.jpeg

82D7B725-CC5F-47D5-8948-26BFC6DCA179.thumb.jpeg.7915c3b521b8f24285df5ad203814ebb.jpeg

6280ECF9-94A1-4977-A694-D22C66FAD368.thumb.jpeg.791627878538791958681e9f36583b55.jpeg

406DEC81-3930-4625-AD4D-2815DB3AC69F.thumb.jpeg.90b6bc590af4bd114ac6612aeabc8d57.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 5:43 PM, ellie1145 said:

Thursday April 18th At Sea

We are sailing across the Pacific on a north easterly heading en route to Ensenada, Mexico.

There is a northeasterly wind at 15 knots and it’s going to be partly cloudy today with a temperature of between 20 -22 C, 69-71F.

As I draw back the curtains I see that the ocean is fairly calm and although it is cloudy, it’s a bright start to the day.

A11A8C07-C5AF-4102-BC22-47F756889BB8.thumb.jpeg.b5cee1a0a3f967e9a19cc840330c3cc3.jpeg

I am delighted to see that Captain Speaking has cleaned our window! 

We wash and dress and take a leisurely walk down to the dining room for breakfast. We are shown to a table for 2 and sit back and relax. There is no rush this morning. Our daily meet up with our trivia mates is not until 10.30 so we can take our time.

We start with oatmeal, but the huge bowls defeat us both. DH orders scrambled eggs whilst I indulge in bacon and eggs. Then it’s a fruit plate to follow and a lovely pot of tea.

Now I am sure I must be boring you to tears with our repeated trivia sessions, but after breakfast we take a walk round the deck and then join our lovely team for a natter and a chance to expand our knowledge.

Now if you are not a trivia addict there is plenty to do, including Speed Soduko, Zumba Express, a Free Stretch and Release Class in the Aerobics Studio, Line Dancing, and a Goofy Golf Putting Challenge. There is also a Morning Movie - ‘Johnny English Strikes Again.’

At 10.00 am Dr Michael Tribe presents an Enrichment Lecture on ‘Los Angeles, 1932,’ whilst there is Hawaiian Ribbon Lei Making in the Conference Room on Deck 6. This clashes with a Champagne Ring Toss Challenge and Spanish at Sea for Beginners.

Whilst we are busy giving our brains a workout I’m afraid that I miss the Tighten and Contour Your Skin with Thermage, as well as the Secrets to a Flatter Stomach. But there is some good news as apparently “sit ups and crunches only make your stomach bigger” so I am decidedly thankful that I have never done these, although I do sit up in bed when DH brings me a cup of tea in the morning, and I certainly do love to crunch some biscuits (cookies)……..

In the Piazza there is a Pasta Party with the Maitre’D and the Executive Chef demonstrating how to cook pasta. There is also an Enrichment Lecture with Mark Harris on ‘Oceanography and Climate Change.’

I wonder what you will choose?

So let’s give your brains a workout, with a few of this morning’s trivia questions:

1.   What 1953 film did Frank Sinatra star in which was based in Hawaii?

2,   Men take part in a Decathlon. What do women compete in?

3.   What problem did Leonardo da Vinci and Winston Churchill suffer from?

4.  What is Horology?

5.  Who invented celluloid?

6.  Where would you have seen the Blue Meanies?

7.  What is the largest capital city in Africa?

8.  What is the name of the 18th century opera house in Milan?

Now of course, the lucky winners will receive a newly updated, mini Tardis, so I hope you will try your luck with these questions, and if all fails, ask Mr Google! 😉

You are far from boring! Cannot thank you enough for entertaining us!

Another Gail but maybe I should go by Gigi my intials are GG I use that online sometimes lol

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Thanks 1

Dear Ellie,

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.  Waiting to hear that you won the Progressive Trivia.  If you came in second most of the time and the other teams standings were all over the place, then you might just be that turtle that crossed the line first at the end of the race.

Good luck.  I, too, would have thought the answer was ants...there are so many of them.  I was once told that the smaller the animal, the more there are (lower on the food chain).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

You are far from boring! Cannot thank you enough for entertaining us!

Another Gail but maybe I should go by Gigi my intials are GG I use that online sometimes lol

Thank you Gigi (aka Gail). It is good to know that I am not boring you. I very much appreciate your words. Thank you again. ☺️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Dear Ellie,

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.  Waiting to hear that you won the Progressive Trivia.  If you came in second most of the time and the other teams standings were all over the place, then you might just be that turtle that crossed the line first at the end of the race.

Good luck.  I, too, would have thought the answer was ants...there are so many of them.  I was once told that the smaller the animal, the more there are (lower on the food chain).

There is more to the story of Progressive Trivia……. But you are just going to have to wait and see! 😉🤣

Time for Dinner

F9ADDFE2-BFE1-4CF5-ABE2-A0DA2E1D7663.thumb.jpeg.89c671afd29da2ecec0ed7ffa8b250be.jpeg

I drag myself away from the beautiful sunset, which never fails to fill me with awe and wonder.

Somehow, watching the sun setting over the sea, as we sail swiftly along, has a particular poignance. It brings into sharp focus the hugeness of the ocean, and the solitude, with no other ship in sight.

It is truly fantastic that we are on a ship, with several thousand other people, and yet we can stand on the deck and be entirely alone. How amazing is that? But please don’t share that secret with those who believe cruising means being surrounded by crowds of people, and who would never cruise for that reason. 😉  

We make our way down to the dining room for yet another delicious meal. We have a lovely dining room steward, from Mexico, and he is cheerful and attentive in the understated way we love to be served on a Princess ship. He anticipates our needs, remembers what we like, notices if something is not quite right, and remains quietly in the background. I think we Brits find this sort of service most comfortable.

C010631D-B44C-4265-A2ED-B960BED45532.thumb.jpeg.55d5aeb558fcef3be03a1a3b955c8d58.jpeg

We don’t bother with a starter, and order our entrees.  I have always found sliced tenderloin beef on Princess ships to be excellent (not necessarily their steaks) and tonight is not a disappointment.

C1E88961-90EF-4D4D-AF87-55B2E4848B9A.thumb.jpeg.660cd365bc028af86c7c09d2727ac81a.jpeg

99DA29E7-E33C-44E7-8394-EF2B12F463CB.thumb.jpeg.170ec42dff413549ce41c5335407d693.jpeg

I’m sure you can guess what we have! DH has his usual fish (the other night I am sure I noticed gills growing on his back).

Tonight it is Kingklip, which we cannot remember ever tasting before. Apparently, it is a species of cusk eel which is very popular in South Africa. However, most kingklip comes from New Zealand. It has white, lean boneless flesh and DH enjoys this new dish.

FC441C51-1416-4BFA-A6BE-1A29E0D68A82.thumb.jpeg.3fe3d4c5199f6a694133a1e4ad6967ef.jpeg

I, however, am less adventurous (some might say boring!😉), so I order some delicious tender and quite rare beef, with a baked potato and a variety of steamed vegetables. It is perfect.

4E13A291-62AC-49BE-B189-4DC1F98B0447.thumb.jpeg.b9c9c5ddfd44a6f37d91dbe8808d1a37.jpeg

Then it is my absolute Princess favourite, a soufflé, and DH joins me in this classic dessert which they do superbly. I wish I knew how they manage to produce such a difficult dish with such consistency. It is just as good as usual, and our steward brings us plenty of sauce.

All’s right with the world.

A9824226-28B7-44C8-9F5D-036A29BCC3FC.thumb.jpeg.7d792c23c8187e5baf321c41e9f87809.jpeg

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

A trivial pursuit…..

Here are the answers to the remaining  trivia questions.

4.  What is Horology?   “The study of the measurement of time”  is it’s technical definition, but today it is more commonly used to describe the study of mechanical time-keeping devices as well as the art of making clocks and watches. 

5.  Who invented celluloid? The first person to invent celluloid was a British man called Alexander Parkes in 1856. It was initially used as a substitute for ivory and tortoiseshell. Sadly he went bankrupt before he was able to capitalise on his invention.  

Our quizmaster insists that it was Kodak, but although the Eastman Kodak Company developed flexible celluloid for still photography, and later for motion pictures, this was some 30 years later. 

This shows one of the pitfalls of trivia as there can sometimes be a variety of answers, and this can lead to confusion. Had we been asked specifically about flexible celluloid the question might have been clearer. 

However, one of the rules of trivia is that the quizmaster is always right, so we bow to his superior knowledge. But there are a few grumbling in the camp - the natives are becoming restless…….

It’s funny how competitive we become over a cheap key ring or a mass produced pen advertising the cruise line! 🤣

7.  What is the largest capital city in Africa? Lagos is the most populous city on the African continent. It has a population of over 22million, but by the turn of the century it is estimated that it will have grown to 88 million. 

8.  What is the name of the 18th century opera house in Milan? La Scala

Well done to everyone who took part!

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

A Must See Show - Jenene Caramielo

52A37118-7A63-4092-B705-2C8824B576CF.thumb.png.e994c3ab5db5303d436028e4cbd287bc.png

We really enjoyed the show in the Theatre with Jenene Caramielo, which we attended before dinner.  She is a great performer, a little like Celine Dion, and she sings a wide variety of songs. 

This evening there is plenty of entertainment available, with lots of live music as usual.

Movies under the Stars offers Concerts@Sea:Lady Antebellum: Own the Night World Tour, at 5.00 pm, with the evening movie, ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ at 7.00 pm, and 10.00 pm.

At 7.30 pm there is the ‘Thriller’ Line Dance Class in the Piazza, and Karaoke Power Hour at 9.15 pm in Club Fusion.

Throughout the evening there are Evening Melodies with Souvenir Duo, Pre-Dinner Music and Dancing with Walker Black Duo, Piano Favourites, followed by Pre-Dinner Melodies with Richard Sulek, Piano and Vocal Entertainer Tommy McPhee, plus Guitar and Vocal Entertainer Mary Simon.

F4F4EC51-1448-4B03-8B06-BB98A1C081AD.thumb.png.071d52540954a594bc078d4881b546cc.png

But the highlight of the evening, apart from the Showtime with Jenene Caramielo, is The Majority Rules Game in Explorers.

We miss the ‘Who Am I?’ Trivia at 7.15pm as well as the 80’s Rock Music Trivia at 8.00 pm. Probably a lucky break for us as we never do well with 80’s Rock Music, as during the 80’s we were too busy bringing up 3 children to listen to much pop music!

The Crab Shack is open this evening in Cafe Caribe, with a ‘seafood extravaganza’ for those who like so indulge in a few crustaceans, but although DH enjoys fish, he is not a great fan of shellfish, and I can’t bear the thought of crab, or anything with a shell. There is a $29 per person cover charge, and it is best to make a reservation as it is very popular.

After dinner we make our way to the Explorers’ Lounge for the Majority Rules Game Show, but it is very crowded so we decide to try Crooners with Tommy McPhee, but again it is standing room only. Crooners is such a popular location but it is pretty small for the number of people who would like to listen to the music.

So we take a walk round the deck and then pop up to Horizon Court for a quick cuppa and then decide to call it a day and return to our cabin.

Tomorrow is Good Friday and there will be a lot going on around the ship, so an early night seems a sensible option. And anyway, that wonderful comfortable Princess bed is beckoning, not to mention the chocolate on the pillow, so we don’t need much persuading.

So goodnight, sleep tight, see you in the morning. 

• Like 1

Friday April 19th - Explore new adventures onboard..

‘Explore new adventures onboard’ our Princess Patter urges us and we will do our best to obey today.

We have the chance to ‘Discover a new skill. Taste a new flavour. Laugh till it hurts. Or just relax and refresh. However you choose… find a new you today.’

So the first thing I must do today is go look for a new me. I’m hoping to find a sylph like, highly intelligent, extremely amusing and very skilful me, who  loves fine wines (and lobster 🤮) and will emerge from today relaxed and refreshed……

Watch this space….

We have been steaming along at a fair old lick, as we still have quite a long way to go until we reach Ensenada. We are continuing on a north easterly course across the Pacific Ocean, and the temperatures are dropping. Today it is going to be 20C, 69F, and it seems chillier. There is a 20 knot wind blowing from a northerly direction, and we can see more seahorses from our window.

Trivia is a little earlier this morning, at 10.00 am in Explorers. We again enjoy breakfast in the dining room and then make our way up to join our team mates. It is really enjoyable getting to know these lovely people, who incidentally are from Nevada and Canada. So we feel we have a good mix of knowledge from 3 countries.

The frustrating thing is that when we get to Explorers it is packed with art work. Of course we know that Princess needs to generate income, and some people enjoy these auctions, but there have been several occasions when it has been difficult for the large number of people who wish to play trivia to find a spot to sit.

BA8C9C67-11F7-4D1E-A095-5DDEB9FE0BF6.thumb.jpeg.f3c6f49ea9c9b6eed8f74f6c40250b65.jpeg

Our team is doing well this morning, and we score a very acceptable 16 out of 20, but once again we lose by one point.

These are the ones that catch us out:

1. Who was the clown of Henry IV?  It is FALSTAFF. I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of Shakespeare, although I studied it at school until age 18. I guess the rest of the team are not great Shakespeare fans either!

2. What is the unit of currency of Norway? It’s the KRONE of course, but none of us can remember it.

3. What has dampers, hammers and strings? Now I could kick myself as the answer is PIANO. As a former piano player I really should have known that one.

4. What is a condiment container? We miss this one too - it’s CRUET.

Now we remember!

I wonder if any of you Cruising Adventurers knew the answers???

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

I only knew the answer to the currency of Norway as that was the last cruise I did, a wonderful 14 days "Land of the Midnight Sun" cruise on the lovely Sappire Princess in June 2019. I think you all did well to get 16 correct! 😊

Well, Purple Traveller, you did better than us!

We have yet to experience Norway. Think we may need to put it on our bucket list. 

Sadly we didn't do well enough ….🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

We have yet to experience Norway. Think we may need to put it on our bucket list. 

You definitely should put it on your bucket list! The scenery was fantastic and we loved every minute of our cruise. I'd happily do another Norway cruise in the future. If you are interested I did a review of my cruise (nothing like one of your reviews but some nice photos). 😊

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2678142-norway-land-of-the-midnight-sun-on-sapphire-princess-june-15-2019/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

You definitely should put it on your bucket list! The scenery was fantastic and we loved every minute of our cruise. I'd happily do another Norway cruise in the future. If you are interested I did a review of my cruise (nothing like one of your reviews but some nice photos). 😊

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2678142-norway-land-of-the-midnight-sun-on-sapphire-princess-june-15-2019/

Like you, we are now in lockdown too, so I am thoroughly enjoying your review of Norway.  Lovely photos and so far all places we have been too (lived in Malta for 16 years - so much history there).  Sailed out of Southampton three years ago so I should find some familiar places there.

Ellie, I'm still with you but sad that this trip will be over soon!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Westaussie said:

Like you, we are now in lockdown too, so I am thoroughly enjoying your review of Norway.  Lovely photos and so far all places we have been too (lived in Malta for 16 years - so much history there).  Sailed out of Southampton three years ago so I should find some familiar places there.

Ellie, I'm still with you but sad that this trip will be over soon!

Thank you! I loved Malta so much and I really want to go back there. It must of been wonderful to live there. Like you I have been reading past reviews and Ellie's reviews have been fantastic to read during lockdown and while we are unable to cruise.

Hopefully there will be another Ellie review when this one ends - please Ellie! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fish are friends not food….

FAD96ACD-5DF3-4D3D-AB71-E4D960CE1051.thumb.jpeg.ca66974d6e71a76aa1944b293e97d26e.jpeg

While we are busy playing trivia there is lots to do around the ship, and for those energetic people there is Zumba Express, a Ping Pong Tournament, Free Stretch and Release Aerobics Class, Line Dancing and a Lawn Bowling Tournament.

If you prefer to do something a little less strenuous then you can expand your knowledge at the Enrichment Lecture presented by Dr Michael Tribe on Los Angeles Olympics 1984, or Mark Harris presents a Naturalist Lecture on Sharks - Misunderstood and Majestic. Now I have had a soft spot for sharks ever since I saw the movie, Finding Nemo, and heard them singing ‘Fish are friends not food,’ as it’s good to know they are actually friendly creatures who love to sing…..

Today’s movie under the stars is ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald’ - which is showing on Deck 16 at 10.00 am.

It is followed by Concerts@Sea: Sol3 Mio Live in Concert. This musical trio comes from New Zealand,  although they are actually of Samoan descent. All three are classically trained and they have been very successful in New Zealand, with two of them providing the backing vocals for Andrea Bocelli’s 2008 tour.

9A21486F-F830-469B-8C2A-F97000E699A4.thumb.png.b44b4eba3e8e6b66cf6df8d84f49e856.png

Those who have been taking part in the Scavenger Hunt meet in Vines at 9.15 am to see how well they’ve done. I wish we had joined in with this as it seems like fun. Maybe next time? After that there is a Paper Plane Challenge in the Piazza.

At 10.45 in the Piazza, there is a chance to meet the Female Officers of the Ruby Princess. We are sorry to miss this as it sounds interesting.

Of course, rehearsals for the Princess Pop Choir and the Progressive Ukulele Class continue this morning, and by all accounts they are going well. We won’t have long to wait to see the fruits of their labours.

Now, while we have been taxing our brains at trivia I have, unfortunately missed the Liquid Face Lift Clinic with Dr Isabel in the Wheelhouse Bar - I wonder if it is anything to do with alcohol? Should I perhaps have a quick Pina Colada to see if it works?

There is ‘Eat More to Weigh Less’ in Hearts and Minds on Deck 16, but to be honest there is not much I don’t already know about eating more on a cruise so I’m not too concerned that I’ve missed these pearls of wisdom. But in order to put it to the test we decide to make our way up to the Horizon Court to test the theory out.

It’s been a good morning but we have a busy afternoon ahead of us so we grab a quick lunch and then make our way downstairs.

So what did you do this morning?

On 6/29/2021 at 3:26 AM, PurpleTraveller said:

Thank you so much Purple Traveller!

I have started reading your wonderful blog and am really enjoying your fabulous photos.

It has certainly whetted my appetite for Norway, and I am so loving sitting back and enjoying Norway vicariously. 

So glad you posted the link as I doubt I would ever have found it otherwise.

• Like 2