Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

1 minute ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Agree about the wine. We aren't wine drinkers at all, but got the bottle they give to mini suites on the one occasion we were in one. Sampled it and dumped it down the drain - a perfect place for it. Pretty sure it's an efficient drain cleaner.

Wow I bet your toilet was sparkling after that! 🤣

However, I am a little miffed that we didn’t get a bottle of toilet cleaner when we had a mini suite on Majestic Princess. Do you think it’s too late to complain to the management???😉

Edited by ellie1145

2 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

CCB9AD29-B67F-4063-822D-E896F888D2B6.thumb.jpeg.d0ae66092a7660db3e4dbcd36d0ba5d1.jpeg

The Shops of Princess are located on Decks 6 and 7 midships. At sea they are open from 9.00 am until 9.00 pm.

BD9198EB-A656-46D2-AA0E-C0CAA04513F4.thumb.jpeg.2b1b3990bc1707806fc675caa0bbcd8e.jpeg

DSC01110.thumb.JPG.44441e6aedb327590c609da4afe2cd67.JPG

1897443988_DSC01109(2).thumb.JPG.bd1efbacee8ec7e7b8298ab7ba86d62d.JPG

Interesting that the shops close at 9pm.  On our other cruises I thought they were open later?  Like 11?   I wonder if it's because of so many sea days?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I do hope your cruise is a go.  Unfortunately, Hawaii isn't ready for tourists, just yet.  As of Tuesday, they are requiring air passengers to have their pre-travel COVID test negative  within 72 hours of departure.  The bad news is that their "trusted" providers are now saying that the results are delayed (maybe 4-7 days).  

If you do not receive the results before you leave , but they are on your phone upon arrival...too bad.  You are now quarantined for the entire 14 days.  

The news around town is that Hawaii will not open for cruises until late 2021.  Nothing in the Spring, rarely in the summer.  So enjoy Ellie's virtual tour for now.

I would think that by Feb 2022 things will be markedly improved.  🤞

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

Interesting that the shops close at 9pm.  On our other cruises I thought they were open later?  Like 11?   I wonder if it's because of so many sea days?

Yes, it does sound rather early doesn’t it?

But looking back through the Patters it would seem that on the 8th it was until 11.00 pm, but on the 9th - 12th it was only until 9.00 pm.

As you say, probably because there are so many sea days.

DD1EF060-DE63-4533-8C14-51F682FBC4CD.thumb.jpeg.5375132e9c46c0c59aa6b2d0925e6a55.jpeg

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

I would think that by Feb 2022 things will be markedly improved.  🤞

I misread that post and now realise that it was a 2022 cruise. I certainly hope that by then things will be improving. Fingers crossed! 🤞🙂

• Like 1

We are sorry that, as we have been in dinner, we have missed the ‘Music of Motown’ with The Main Offenders, at 7.30 pm in the Explorers Lounge. We’ve also missed the Famous Faces Trivia at 7.30 pm in Club Fusion, and the Beatles Trivia Challenge at 8.15 pm in the Explorers Lounge, so we make our way to see a bit of the Voice of the Ocean Auditions in Club Fusion. It’s pretty crowded, so we don’t stay long as there are no seats.

There isn’t much going on tonight, so we decide to have an early night and watch a movie in our stateroom, after a quick cup of decaffeinated tea in Horizon Court.

We have one more day at sea until we reach our first port, Hilo, and we are getting very excited. We have a private tour booked, so hope that it will live up to expectations, but more of that tomorrow.

So far, the weather shows no signs of improving but we live in hopes.

Now there are still 2 trivia questions to answer so here they are again!

3. Which is the only country in the world to have a bible on its flag?

4. Where is Mount Aspiring National Park?

So goodnight, sleep tight, see you in the morning in the Da Vinci Dining Room, for breakfast.

Edited by ellie1145

10 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Now there are still 2 trivia questions to answer so here they are again!

3. Which is the only country in the world to have a bible on its flag?

4. Where is Mount Aspiring National Park?

So, just to move things along (and prove I know how to use Google :classic_wink:)

#3 is Dominican Republic

#4 is New Zealand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

Hi Ellie

I'm not quite sure but I seem to remember ambergris comes from the sperm whale and is used in perfume.

And I can answer another of your trivia questions - The Dominican Republic has a bible on its flag.

Gail

Back on page 17 was this post.  

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Back on page 17 was this post.  

Oops, now that was my fault, I posted the wrong two questions. 

The final question should be this one:

1. Father Christmas receives the most mail in the world, but who receives the second largest amount of mail?

Edited by ellie1145

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

So, just to move things along (and prove I know how to use Google :classic_wink:)

#3 is Dominican Republic

#4 is New Zealand.

Feel free, JF-retired RRT. I really don’t mind, if it gets the right answer! 😉

I unfortunately should have repeated question 1 and accidentally re-posted question 3.

But you are correct about question 4 so of course you are able to choose which prize will be winging your way! Well done!

How about asking Mr G the answer to number 1? 

Edited by ellie1145

13 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Well, I had to look up Akule, cr8tiv1. You certainly must have been bored! Did you end up eating the fish?

On a different subject, do you have any photos of your cabin that you would like to share?

I was like 8 years old then....I've learned to love fishing now.  

No, I do not have photos of my inside cabin.  Ordinary, nothing to write home about.  But my next cruise to Hawaii is booked in a Window Suite on the Grand.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

What an interesting read.  We'll hopefully be on the Ruby from San Fran in Feb of 22 for Hawaii.  We're so looking forward to the cruise.  We've cruised over a dozen times and this itinerary is pretty unique for us with all the sea days.  

Thanks so much for your perspectives!   With us, and so many others, not being able to cruise soon, it fills the void some.  Looking forward to see and read as each day of your review continues!

Thanks for the time and efforts!

I, too, misread your post.  I hope Hawaii will be ready since I have a voyage to Hawaii booked for March 2022.  Since I live part time on Oahu, I go for the ride.

• Like 1

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American Friends and especially to all of you Cruising Adventurers across the world.

We hope you stay safe and well, so that next year, not only we can all be with our loved ones, but looking forward to a return to our favourite vacation.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was like 8 years old then....I've learned to love fishing now.  

No, I do not have photos of my inside cabin.  Ordinary, nothing to write home about.  But my next cruise to Hawaii is booked in a Window Suite on the Grand.

Thank you, cr8tiv. We will have to wait for some photos of your Window Suite on Grand then! 😉

Wild water wash my cares away

West wind blow me free.

White sail fill my heart with joy,

Sing my soul with glee.

Frances J Grasso.

Before we move on to Friday, here are a couple more videos of the amazing seas we experienced today. The noise is deafening. 

As I re-watch the videos I am back on the deck, breathing in the clear fresh air, and feeling the spray on my face....

• Like 1

🎶  One more day.....

Friday April 12th.

Our final day before we reach our first Hawaiian Island. 

Throughout the day and night, Ruby Princess has been speeding along, and, despite some pretty rough seas, we are making good progress on our south-westerly course towards the islands.

The wind is still a strong 25 knots, but the temperature is a degree higher at 22 degrees C/72 degrees F. However, the wind factor is keeping it feeling a little chilly.

We wake to overcast skies again, but get ready and make our way down to breakfast in the dining room. We are shown to a lovely table for 2 and DH orders Eggs Benedict.

C1404F4B-02F3-4471-940E-3B34711D2A4D.thumb.jpeg.2c1f4977ca55fea7a9d27a4c203acddf.jpeg

393AC382-0CA6-4F82-858A-CB3C6133323F.thumb.jpeg.5205c3205b1ac596301ec07ca6f8a5b0.jpeg

I enjoy a glass of tomato juice, without Worcester sauce, and take a couple of slices of the amazing fruit bread which Princess seem to excel at.

I order my usual eggs, sausage and bacon. We don’t eat streaky bacon back home so it is rather an indulgence when on a cruise.😉

Edited by ellie1145

The answers to yesterdays trivia questions are:

1. Father Christmas receives the most mail in the world, but who

receives the second largest amount of mail?  THE POPE

2. Where does Ambergris come from, and what is it used in the production of? THE BILE DUCT OF THE SPERM WHALE, PERFUME MAKING.

3. Which is the only country in the world to have a bible on its flag? THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

4. Where is Mount Aspiring National Park? NEW ZEALAND

WELL DONE TO ALL THE WINNERS!

As usual there is plenty to keep you occupied today.

For those with a thirst for knowledge today’s ‘Destination Presentation: Lahaina and Maui‘ with Tiki Dave is a little earlier at 9.00 am in the Princess Theatre. We hear that he is leaving the ship tomorrow and I know he will be sorely missed by his Ukelele class. This is followed by today’s ‘Enrichment Lecture: Darwin and The Voyage of the Beagle, Part 2.’

For the energetic, there is Zumba Express at 9.15 am, Free Stretch and Release at 9.30 am in the Aerobics Studio, Hula Class at 9.45 am, Ballroom Dancing Class - the Cha cha cha at 10.45 am in Club Fusion, the Egg Drop Challenge at 11.15 in the Piazza, and a Champagne Ring Toss Challenge in the Piazza at 2.00 pm.

DSC01091.thumb.JPG.4976b55b217efb2be2a0755b3cc87484.JPG

For sports fans there is a Carpet Bowls Challenge in Club Fusion at 2.45 pm, and a Ping Pong Challenge at 3.00 pm in Center Court, followed by a Ryder Cup Golf Challenge at 3.45 at the Adagio Bar, and a Basketball Shoot out in Center Court at 4.00 pm.

The morning MUTS is ‘Christopher Robin’ at 10.00 am, followed by ‘Santana: Live at Montreaux 201’1 at 12.15 pm, the afternoon movie is ‘La La Land’ at 2.00 pm, the Evening movie is ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ at 7.00 pm and 10.00 pm. and the final MUTS of the day is ‘Venom’ at 10.00 pm.

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

Good morning Ellie,

Listening to the ocean videos, I can almost smell the ocean breezes😉

I will have the Eggs Benedict for breakfast this morning before heading off to theatre for the lecture. I suggested we go to the Cha cha lessons (to work off the breakfast calories), however my DH nixed that!😝.  I guess that means several additional laps around the promenade for me.

Gail

• Haha 1

We enjoy our leisurely breakfast, as today we don’t have to rush because our Morning Trivia is not until 11.00 am. It’s rather nice that we don’t have to get up so early either. 

We make our way up to the Explorers Lounge early, so we can sit and watch Tiki Dave’s Ukulele Class, which, for the first time, is before the Trivia.

DSC01118.thumb.JPG.4abae53297415a3e567c56ddbddb7d9a.JPG

After trivia we make our way down to The Michaelangelo Dining Room (at 10.00 pm - 1.00 pm) for the Once in a Lifetime, Never to be Repeated, second Onboard Outlet Sale! We don’t want to miss this extravaganza as we are sure it won’t happen again, and who doesn’t love a bargain???

We mooch around the Michaelangelo Dining Room, but cannot find anything that takes our fancy, which is a great pity as others seem to be buying the ship up, in a frenzy of activity.

People’s cruise cards are white hot as they buy up everything that is not nailed down. One lady even tries to buy the table the items are displayed on, but she gets taken away by security...

DSC01119.thumb.JPG.c9c34a5f1b53481d6bcc41a6f02805be.JPG

I have tried to persuade my DH to take part in Mr Biceps at 12.30 pm, by Neptune’s Reef and Pool, but he says we can’t miss the Progressive Trivia...

Edited by ellie1145
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, cnd crsr said:

Good morning Ellie,

Listening to the ocean videos, I can almost smell the ocean breezes😉

I will have the Eggs Benedict for breakfast this morning before heading off to theatre for the lecture. I suggested we go to the Cha cha lessons (to work off the breakfast calories), however my DH nixed that!😝.  I guess that means several additional laps around the promenade for me.

Gail

Morning, Gail. I trust you slept well, rocked in the arms of the Pacific Ocean?

DH declares the Eggs Benedict extremely good - I’m afraid this is a culinary delight that he only experiences on a cruise ship as I don’t make them. 

Will look our for you on the Promenade Deck, but hang onto your hats, it’s still a bit windy out there! 🤣

9 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American Friends and especially to all of you Cruising Adventurers across the world.

We hope you stay safe and well, so that next year, not only we can all be with our loved ones, but looking forward to a return to our favourite vacation.

Here’s my greetings from San Francisco. Thanks for all of your postings. Would love ❤️ to see both of you on a cruise. Enjoyed hearing your comments on words that we use in the US vs what you use in the UK & your excellent writing style. They all mean the same. 

Tom😀

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

It’s time to join our trivia mates in Club Fusion, for our daily Cruise Long Trivia Challenge at 12.45 pm. We are given the answers to yesterday’s questions, but we still don’t know how we are doing, as our host declines to share this information. It is a little frustrating as it’s fun to know where we stand in the pecking order. At the end of the cruise we will finally know why he chooses this way to run the Progressive Trivia.....

So here are today’s brain teasers. Feel free to ask Mr G for help if you are stuck! Usual choice of prizes, of course...

1. What was the first man-made invention to break the sound barrier?

2. What is the southernmost capital city in the world?

3. What is the name of Google’s corporate headquarters?

4. Many artists sang the jingles for Coca Cola, but who sang ‘Things    

Go Better With Coke’ in 1969, before later switching to Pepsi?

1 minute ago, trbarton said:

Here’s my greetings from San Francisco. Thanks for all of your postings. Would love ❤️ to see both of you on a cruise. Enjoyed hearing your comments on words that we use in the US vs what you use in the UK & your excellent writing style. They all mean the same. 

Tom😀

image.jpeg

Thank you, Tom. Greetings to you in San Francisco.

Maybe all of the Cruising Adventurers will one day meet on a fun filled cruise where we will be able to share experiences of this awful pandemic and revel in the joys of cruising again.