Jump to content

Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

 

I hope your lei has arrived safely. I did pop a small one in for your little bird so it didn’t feel left out.........😉  

 

Yes thank you!  Miss Poipu very much enjoyed her's.  Unfortunately she ate it but she is fine!  😳

Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to add that the Hawaiian Islands are the most isolated populated islands in the world.  It was created by a hot spot in the middle of the Pacific Plate starting with Kauai as the oldest and Hawaii Island is the youngest (with Lo'ihi sea mount growing at a phenomenal rate of about 5 meters per 1000 years).  We are about 2500 miles from the west coast of North America and 4000 miles from Japan.  

 

Don't you just love those sea days!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

 

Thank you, I hope you don't mind my additional comments.  

 

 

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

 

Thank you, I hope you don't mind my additional comments.  

 

 

Absolutely not, cr8tiv! They add to people’s enjoyment and I certainly found them really interesting. I am a complete novice as far as Hawaii is concerned having only visited it once, so I am delighted to learn more about these beautiful islands. 

 

Many thanks, once again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

 

Yes thank you!  Miss Poipu very much enjoyed her's.  Unfortunately she ate it but she is fine!  😳

 

Oh my goodness, azbirdmom. Thank goodness I made Miss Poipu’s lei with edible orchids! 🥴😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Forgot to add that the Hawaiian Islands are the most isolated populated islands in the world.  It was created by a hot spot in the middle of the Pacific Plate starting with Kauai as the oldest and Hawaii Island is the youngest (with Lo'ihi sea mount growing at a phenomenal rate of about 5 meters per 1000 years).  We are about 2500 miles from the west coast of North America and 4000 miles from Japan.  

 

Don't you just love those sea days!

 

Indeed I do love sea days. I guess it would have been really nice to have seen some sunshine, but it was so relaxing that it didn’t really matter. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today’s tour of Hilo and the Volcanoes National Park.

 

Back in July 2018, I got in contact with a gentleman named Ricky, whose tour had been recommended. At that time, the island was still suffering the effects of the May volcanic eruption, and the National Park was still closed to visitors, so he offered a slightly different itinerary.

 

However, nearer to the time he emailed me to say that the National Park had re-opened, and so he was able to offer his original itinerary. He was very good at keeping in contact so I felt quite confident about what he would offer. That confidence was repaid in bucket loads.

 

HILO TOUR

Banyan Drive

Liliuokalani Gardens

Rainbow Falls

May Na Loa Macadamia Nut Co.

Akatsuka Orchid Gardens

Richardson Ocean Beach Park black sand beach.

Volcano National Park Tour - Visitor Centre

Steam Vents

Kilauea Iki Crater Look Out

Chain of Craters Road 1974 lava flow

 

The tour lasts 5 1/2 to 6 hours.

The cost is $85 and includes the National Park entrance fee.                  

 

So, all you Cruising Adventurers, if you are going to join us on this interesting tour then pack your bags and meet us on the dockside.                        

 

Edited by ellie1145
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

HILO, on the island of HAWAII

 

Ruby Princess will dock in the port of Hilo, the largest town on the island of Hawaii, or as it is often called, The Big Island. It has a sheltered bay and is located at the base of two volcanoes, one of which is still very active.

 

Whilst it was probably settled by South Pacific Polynesians in 1100 AD, it was New England missionaries who arrived in 1824.

 

HIlo was a bustling port town, and the commercial hub of the rapidly growing sugar cane industry. It suffered devastating tsunamis in1946 and 1960, which destroyed the waterfront, but it was later rebuilt. The sugar cane industry closed in the 1990s. Today, tourism is its biggest industry, and attracts many visitors to its Merrie Monarch Festival, which is the world’s major Hula competition and festival, as well as the annual Hilo Orchid Show.

 

There is lush vegetation, cascading waterfalls, stunning scenery, tropical flowers such as orchids, plus two  volcanoes. It is also home to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Hilo is one of the world’s leading producers of macadamia nuts. It also has an international airport.

 

Hilo Bay is protected by a huge breakwater which was completed in 1929.  However, in 1946 a 7.8 magnitude earthquake near the Aleutian Islands created a 46 ft high tsunami which killed 160 people.

 

56957FA6-404D-4FBA-99EC-0E52D0B63DB6.thumb.jpeg.16e6ecbedcd0e240e29c92de00a2b5f3.jpeg

 

Hilo has a topical rainforest climate. It is the fourth wettest city in the US, and one of the wettest in the world. On average, it receives 3,220mm/127 inches of rain, which falls on an average of 272 days of the year.

 

TRIVIA

1.     What meat product was introduced by the American soldiers      during WW2, and what made it so popular?

 

2.     What is Hawaii’s state bird?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Spam ... in a can

 

Correct, Voljeep! It became so popular because it could be stored without the need for a ‘fridge.

 

Well done! Talk about fastest finger first....

 

Your choice of prizes will be winging its way to you.......😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have arrived!

Saturday, April 13th, 2019

 

The pilot boarded Ruby Princess just before 8.00 am, and after manoeuvring past through the breakwater it docked, port side alongside. Soon after 9.00 am the gangways were in place and passengers were able to disembark.

 

Waves are pouring over the breakwater at the entrance to the harbour.

DSC00278.thumb.JPG.4129b94504cb1af9b59b80673e9e9433.JPG

 

DSC00280.thumb.JPG.d4caa010d4551502b444e527f840a92e.JPG

 

Intrepid canoeists brave the torrential rain in their tiny canoes, paddling close to the  breakwater. 

DSC00279.thumb.JPG.71bc6991a3ff96b802173c7f3b0ee2a3.JPG

 

DSC00276.thumb.JPG.f8bf2ca27330b0a7c941c39e0e4ce5a4.JPG

 

Today the weather is described as cloudy, with passing showers. That turns out to be a little understated. At least the wind has dropped to a gently breeze, and the temperature is a pleasant 21 degrees C/70 degrees F.

 

We wake early and get ready for our tour before dashing up to the Horizon Court for a quick breakfast. Then there is just time to walk outside on deck to see our first glimpse of this beautiful island, bathed in sunshine....

 

Well, no. It is absolutely pouring down. You can barely see through the haze of torrential rain, and it certainly does not look much like a tropical paradise.

 

DSC00275.thumb.JPG.679cf65338a9edf4d565126b5a58c542.JPG

 

DSC00274.thumb.JPG.d6738bce878f03d7599fc1168ccbae7c.JPG

 

 

The tug, Moana, helps to manoeuvre this leviathan of the seas into place at its berth. 

 

 

DSC00273.thumb.JPG.be69039af2bd4dc9969a6c8fea6ad051.JPG

 

459C0893-B7B2-4FBC-BA80-1C8E7A6448A6.thumb.jpeg.cd80512cb5662b5133fd54df508e151f.jpeg

 

80BECDCC-2BFD-44AC-9696-B800B4B6237D.thumb.png.61a5d76fff620a1deac82bb54c2d8c26.png

 

A1B2F90B-00D2-43D8-A8F1-CD3C177E517A.thumb.jpeg.5aa4d3e8dd81f7beb44d205210a76f2b.jpeg

 

DSC00281.thumb.JPG.06e24fc35a3a6dcefe2c55446bac30f3.JPG

 

But the day is young and we are excited to explore so we grab our coats, pick up our bags and walk down the gangway.

Edited by ellie1145
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

 

Correct, Voljeep! It became so popular because it could be stored without the need for a ‘fridge.

 

 

And you have to get some Spam-flavored macadamia nuts!  Only in Hawaii...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Papa Yoda said:

 

And you have to get some Spam-flavored macadamia nuts!  Only in Hawaii...

 

Chocolate covered, maybe! 🥴 Spam flavoured.....🤮🤣

Edited by ellie1145
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

 

 

HILO, on the island of HAWAII

 

Ruby Princess will dock in the port of Hilo, the largest town on the island of Hawaii, or as it is often called, The Big Island. It has a sheltered bay and is located at the base of two volcanoes, one of which is still very active.

 

Whilst it was probably settled by South Pacific Polynesians in 1100 AD, it was New England missionaries who arrived in 1824.

 

HIlo was a bustling port town, and the commercial hub of the rapidly growing sugar cane industry. It suffered devastating tsunamis in1946 and 1960, which destroyed the waterfront, but it was later rebuilt. The sugar cane industry closed in the 1990s. Today, tourism is its biggest industry, and attracts many visitors to its Merrie Monarch Festival, which is the world’s major Hula competition and festival, as well as the annual Hilo Orchid Show.

 

There is lush vegetation, cascading waterfalls, stunning scenery, tropical flowers such as orchids, plus two  volcanoes. It is also home to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Hilo is one of the world’s leading producers of macadamia nuts. It also has an international airport.

 

Hilo Bay is protected by a huge breakwater which was completed in 1929.  However, in 1946 a 7.8 magnitude earthquake near the Aleutian Islands created a 46 ft high tsunami which killed 160 people.

 

56957FA6-404D-4FBA-99EC-0E52D0B63DB6.thumb.jpeg.16e6ecbedcd0e240e29c92de00a2b5f3.jpeg

 

Hilo has a topical rainforest climate. It is the fourth wettest city in the US, and one of the wettest in the world. On average, it receives 3,220mm/127 inches of rain, which falls on an average of 272 days of the year.

 

TRIVIA

1.     What meat product was introduced by the American soldiers      during WW2, and what made it so popular?

 

2.     What is Hawaii’s state bird?

 

The Hawaiian state bird is a nene.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hilo Bay and Nawiliwili are restricted daytime only ports.  The beautiful green belt along Kamehameha Avenue was developed after the last 1960 Tsunami to protect the rest of the city.  There were so many lives lost because observers decided to stand along the shore to "watch" the tsunami.  

 

Tsunamis can be generated by earthquakes from Alaska/Aleutian Islands or the west coast of South America.  They can also be generated by local volcanic activity or even when a lava delta (shelf) drops into the ocean from a recent lava flow.

 

A'a is sharp lava rocks caused by fast moving flows

Pahoehoe are smoother lava caused by slow moving flows.

Lava tubes are created when lava flows under hardened lava surfaces.

 

Next time you are on the island, tour the Lava Tree National Park and black sand/green sand beaches.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Put away your bingo stampers and nickels.  Hawaii is a non gambling state.  The captain may steer the ship out of state waters late into the night to open up the casino.  Las Vegas has been dubbed the 8th island to locals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

These are my favorite spots in Hilo.

 

coconut_island_hilo_bay.jpg.2496a40216effd517664a3138f12ef1c.jpg

 

Coconut Island near Queen Liliʻuokalani Gardens (stock photo).

 

1566395472_Hiloplus054.thumb.jpg.10035d667d44463ffe328e61c85e6f39.jpg

 

Bamboo grove at the Gardens

 

 

Boiling Pots (above Rainbow Falls).  

It was pouring rain at Rainbow Falls.  I let my friends out and stayed dry in the car.  I've seen Rainbow Falls rushing with twin falls.  And I have seen it bone dry.  Caught at the right moment and you will see beautiful rainbows.

 

 

IMG_6318.thumb.jpeg.e30909294d0ec5f76b8af0fdd3f6ce0a.jpeg

 

Lava Tree National Park.  These are trees that were in the way of a lava flow a long time ago.

 

1203938727_intotheocean.thumb.jpg.2391611e3c3d50b0fd6a3e4fb8393ab9.jpg

 

Active lava flow into the ocean viewed from a helicopter.  (not this voyage)

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

The bird is the Nene (nay-nay).  We saw one in Maui, on Haleakala.  Very elusive bird!

 

You are absolutely right, azbirdmom. Congratulations on being the fastest finger!

 

How amazing to have actually seen one. 

 

Now I am guessing you and Miss Poipu will be eager to sample another of my unique  leis, and I’m sure that, by now, she will be feeling a little peckish (excuse the pun!) 🤣

Edited by ellie1145
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Put away your bingo stampers and nickels.  Hawaii is a non gambling state.  The captain may steer the ship out of state waters late into the night to open up the casino.  Las Vegas has been dubbed the 8th island to locals.

 

Well, as we are not gamblers, it sounds like Hawaii is just the place for us! 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

These are my favorite spots in Hilo.

 

coconut_island_hilo_bay.jpg.2496a40216effd517664a3138f12ef1c.jpg

 

Coconut Island near Queen Liliʻuokalani Gardens (stock photo).

 

1566395472_Hiloplus054.thumb.jpg.10035d667d44463ffe328e61c85e6f39.jpg

 

Bamboo grove at the Gardens

 

 

 

Boiling Pots (above Rainbow Falls).  

It was pouring rain at Rainbow Falls.  I let my friends out and stayed dry in the car.  I've seen Rainbow Falls rushing with twin falls.  And I have seen it bone dry.  Caught at the right moment and you will see beautiful rainbows.

 

 

IMG_6318.thumb.jpeg.e30909294d0ec5f76b8af0fdd3f6ce0a.jpeg

 

Lava Tree National Park.  These are trees that were in the way of a lava flow a long time ago.

 

1203938727_intotheocean.thumb.jpg.2391611e3c3d50b0fd6a3e4fb8393ab9.jpg

 

Active lava flow into the ocean viewed from a helicopter.  (not this voyage)

 

 

Amazing video, thank you for posting it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...