Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

“Oh, it’s such a perfect day

I’m glad I spent it with you

Oh such a perfect day

You just keep me hanging on...’

Any guesses at to the artist and the song?

So tomorrow we sail into Nawiliwili for another day of adventures. 

To ‘whet your whistle’ here is a taste of this beautiful and verdant island.

BA2B6B03-8C8D-4BCD-A362-24C816D99A6A.thumb.jpeg.bfb435bf99f19a43ee736ec4dd198cc8.jpeg

Apologies for the streaky window. I really must ask Captain Speaking to do something about this before we get to our final island. It really isn’t good enough......

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

That must have been an amazing experience to fly over the volcano. She was very brave - I’m not sure I could fly in a helicopter, but it’s the only way to have such a wonderful view. 

A helo ride gets you right in the middle of all the action.  We did a helo ride in Alaska with the grandkids.  We flew around Juneau and landed on a Glacier;  then we rode a dog sled on the glacier.  

• Like 1

‘Tomorrow will be a good day’  

Captain Sir Tom Moore.

A brief update...

We have had a busy few days, as we have 3 birthdays in a week, my daughter, my son and my grandson, all within 7 days. 

DH is also struggling a bit with fatigue after his kidney infections, so has to pace himself. 

It is 3 weeks tomorrow since our vaccinations and so far so good. We do, of course, continue to wear masks, wash hands, and socially distance as that will be necessary for a long time we think.

But the UK has done a wonderful job with its vaccination programme and we are very proud of the way everyone has pulled together to get the job done. As a country we are pretty bad at ‘blowing our own trumpet’ and are highly critical of governments but this is something we should feel proud of. 

We are glad to see that the USA has, at last, got it’s act together and is making progress with its vaccinations. The EU continues to prevaricate, make bad decisions, spread fake news about the vaccines and generally move at a snail’s pace to vaccinate its citizens. We are definitely glad we made the break.

I’ve been helping my daughter with painting her house as they have had some building work done but no decorating, so mum has stepped in to help. I enjoy keeping busy so it’s great to have something to occupy me. 

DD is in her 38th week of pregnancy. It’s been a real roller coaster of a pregnancy especially with Covid, and there has been an astonishing lack of ante natal care. 

The little one has at last found the correct position, and is now ‘head down’ which is a huge relief but we won’t breathe a final sigh of relief until he makes his appearance. 

And finally, that wonderful gentleman, and our national treasure, Captain Sir Tom Moore died recently. After raising over $40 million for the NHS charities, he sadly died of Covid.

But what a wonderful year he had, and what a way to spend it. He was knighted by the Queen in person, made a chart topping single, won the Helen Rollason Award at the Sports Personality of the Year Show, and even went on a holiday to Barbados. His cheerful but very modest outlook inspired people all over the world. As he so frequently said, ‘Tomorrow will be a good day.’ 

Let’s hope his words give us the strength and the courage to face everything that the next year brings. 

I won’t mention that other couple, who now live in a luxurious mansion in California and who attack the press at every opportunity whilst courting publicity and telling the world what a hard time they have had........🤔🤣 

Keep safe everyone! 

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

A helo ride gets you right in the middle of all the action.  We did a helo ride in Alaska with the grandkids.  We flew around Juneau and landed on a Glacier;  then we rode a dog sled on the glacier.  

Wow! I bet your grandkids loved that. 

Do you have any photos? 

Now a dog sled I WOULD love! 👍

11 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Wow that is beautiful with the rainbow.  My wife took a helicopter rider over the volcano when were visited the big island.  You could see the red lava inside and it was bubbly

On a land trip to Hawaii Island, I also took a helicopter ride over an eruption.  It was the last flight of the day so they took the doors off (not my idea of fun).  You could feel the heat even from high above.  This is an "old" eruption (July 2009).  It wiped out Royal Gardens.  The pilot commented that by the morning run, that house would be gone.  Then we flew over the ocean to see the lava flow into the ocean.

Summer 2009 pictures 205.jpg

Summer 2009 pictures 211.jpg

into the ocean.jpg

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to Kauai (Nawiliwili Harbor).  I always love seeing this point when entering the harbor.  It is a very tight turn and am amazed how the captain is able to make an S turn to get the ship docked.  

2114855219_Kauailighthouse.thumb.jpg.fdc2b04e97cd6176f4c83b975c6b0a31.jpg

I had friends who drove me around the island.  IF...I had known...I would have toured the Hōkūle'a too.  http://www.hokulea.com/voyages/our-story/

Hokulea.thumb.jpg.c1320d3c125939cfe3d75867b028af7d.jpg'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Welcome to Kauai (Nawiliwili Harbor).  I always love seeing this point when entering the harbor.  It is a very tight turn and am amazed how the captain is able to make an S turn to get the ship docked.  

2114855219_Kauailighthouse.thumb.jpg.fdc2b04e97cd6176f4c83b975c6b0a31.jpg

I had friends who drove me around the island.  IF...I had known...I would have toured the Hōkūle'a too.  http://www.hokulea.com/voyages/our-story/

Hokulea.thumb.jpg.c1320d3c125939cfe3d75867b028af7d.jpg'

Doesn't look like it was open for tours, we could have gotten really close, but likely not get on board...too late now.

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JF - retired RRT said:

If we'd realized it was open for tours, we'd have included it...too late now.

I was wondering how quickly you would respond.  Wow...26 minutes must be a record!  You lived there....you are suppose to know what's happening on your island.  It's not like Kauai gets much news.  Thanks for the car ride and foodie tour.

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

I was wondering how quickly you would respond.  Wow...26 minutes must be a record!  You lived there....you are suppose to know what's happening on your island.  It's not like Kauai gets much news.  Thanks for the car ride and foodie tour.

Yeah, and I already edited my post. Looked at the website and didn't see anything about tours. The closest you can get is where the "ship watchers" watch the ship pull around the corner to enter the port area. We were there many times. It's fascinating.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2021 at 7:35 PM, ellie1145 said:

DD is in her 38th week of pregnancy. It’s been a real roller coaster of a pregnancy especially with Covid, and there has been an astonishing lack of ante natal care. 

The little one has at last found the correct position, and is now ‘head down’ which is a huge relief but we won’t breathe a final sigh of relief until he makes his appearance.

Our daughter is also in her 38th week of pregnancy. She lives in the Czech Republic and we have not been able to see for one year now because of covid. We have been worried because covid cases are growing rapidly now in Czechia. Her husband lost his grandfather to covid a few weeks ago and now her father-in-law and his wife are both sick with covid. She is doing well despite all these challenges. She has had excellent prenatal care and everything is going well. We won’t be able to travel to see her and the baby until they lift travel restrictions. I can’t wait for this pandemic to be over!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

so was this show at night in the theater?

Yes.  A "halau" (hula school) would come on board for an early show (usually only one).  It included a back up group, ladies, and keikis (children).  When Dave Cole was the CD, he would bring on Maunalua, a musical group.  

• Thanks 1

Another day, another island - Nawiliwili, Kauai 

FD36A045-1CEB-4528-8E19-096C61BF2C4E.thumb.jpeg.6c6514bb8a5bf290b5f52e19d6e3b812.jpeg

10CD594C-BED2-470B-8F5D-4D86B8F00740.thumb.jpeg.83de89ad12257049ca96ca8b8b25bcc4.jpeg

78BB3D12-F9C6-4274-9551-155A828358F6.thumb.jpeg.03263cd92b6d8f0acaf95e157092209c.jpeg

So, Cruising Adventurers, are you ready for another day of exploration?

Good, grab a bottle of water, some comfy shoes, your camera and off we go!

Last night Ruby Princess sailed the 92 miles from Honolulu to Nawiliwili at a leisurely speed of just 12.7 knots.

The day is going to be good with an average temperature of 75 degrees F, 24 degrees C. There is a north easterly wind of 15 knots and it’s going to be mainly sunny.

By 07.38 the first mooring line was in place, and by 08.00 the gangways were in place ready for passengers to disembark.

We wake to see beautiful sunshine and get ready quickly before grabbing a quick breakfast in the buffet.

We are due to meet our new CC friends at the gangway, and we don’t know what the day will being as we have not got anything organised. It’s a serendipitous adventure. 

B3203BC9-A1C6-409D-8307-E54DD57A058A.thumb.jpeg.2139d6399eba5e33e29c1b913dc4161b.jpeg

5292F789-94B2-44E1-9174-208CD5F78024.thumb.jpeg.a22aee9ff0f57f23f12181f184b8f39a.jpeg

We disembark and see plenty of buses waiting to take passengers on their tours but there seems to be just one taxi.  We decide to approach him to see what he can offer and we agree with the driver that we would like about four hours or so, taking in the main sights.

It is a fortuitous choice as our driver is friendly and knowledgeable. We get into his comfortable van and set off on our journey of exploration.

It’s such a beautiful day and the island is richly verdant. We drive out of the dock area and into the countryside. Our driver, who is an American pastor, gives us a running commentary and eventually we arrive at our first vantage point.

It’s breathtakingly beautiful.

64F7DCD0-9406-4E72-AA8D-A18E0B651797.thumb.jpeg.13da03a2c0937388205a34901c2b03af.jpeg

DSC00836.thumb.JPG.400b94cc2f169a034564dd1dfca10189.JPG

DSC00837.thumb.JPG.2e0e6b4a5444f9e6c1892e53902ce520.JPG

DSC00838.thumb.JPG.0407fcbe77dce9474b529fca8178f422.JPG

DSC00839.thumb.JPG.270e77e98d9929a95d096b0c202accc4.JPG

DSC00840.thumb.JPG.70b953e7e7ddf285d99434f5cd44d61f.JPG

DSC00841.thumb.JPG.55b2e661469ae1e8b308f6e302ef3d97.JPG

DSC00842.thumb.JPG.740c702fbe8f51e43c170f88221f02eb.JPG

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 12:50 AM, AF-1 said:

This was taken from the chopper;  it is the beginning of the glacier.  we landed on the glacier.  Pics are coming

What amazing photos! Fantastic scenery. 
Thank you for sharing. AF-1