Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

Poipu Beach

A3D269C0-9315-47C0-9723-0B3A0FF1BEBB.thumb.png.f036678fb78a9265cd293160bd4bab57.png

DSC00925.thumb.JPG.51865ef555e23da31d3ef0bc8b0bf4ed.JPG

Back in the van we travel along the coastal road and find ourselves at Poipu Beach.  Our driver parks the van and we walk across the road to the beach. It looks lovely. The beach itself is protected by a ring of lava rocks, which form a barrier between the rough sea and the calm, shallow lagoon. The water is crystal clear and the beach is sandy. It's an ideal place for families who are enjoying the sunshine. 

DSC00927.thumb.JPG.739de7125d0a8888365c1cae3700a7e6.JPG

DSC00928.thumb.JPG.8ffecd83de4fa86b777d735258bf6bdd.JPG

DSC00929.thumb.JPG.eb15b46135d21b397ab4f5a2810b323e.JPG

We walk along the beach and take our shoes off. I wish I had brought my swimming gear but I did not know that we would find such a fantastic beach where I could have swum. 

DSC00930.thumb.JPG.9d96adbb760d78b4f686fd7fe49f77fc.JPG

It is a popular beach for  snorkeling, swimming, boogie boarding and surfing. It is also a favourite with the endangered Hawaiian monk seals, but we don't see any of them today. 

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

DSC00924.thumb.JPG.45fea8e0b56d3c75b4a472f8c8ee6374.JPG

As we walk along the soft sandy beach we see something ahead of us. It’s a large sea turtle or ‘honu,’ just resting there on the sand, seemingly oblivious to all the people around it. 

58605052-FC9F-4484-A984-5C0E78E93FA6.thumb.jpeg.3ca0eff0001522c6bc065470d56c5ff9.jpeg

Its shell is shiny and glistens in the sunshine. Its face looks kindly, and it seems quite happy napping in the warmth of the sun.

DSC00923.thumb.JPG.a93eaef395f1375ec4300cde59656c04.JPG

Turtles are considered symbols of good luck, but they are protected and we must not touch it or interfere with it in any way. We move nearer to it, but not too close and I manage to take some photos of it. 

What an unexpected pleasure it is to have seen turtles, both swimming freely in the ocean, and close to on the beach. 

DSC00922.thumb.JPG.f2c269b0eac8ccf8851ab817621912e6.JPG

We leave it to its own devices and walk back to the van.

DSC00931.thumb.JPG.1b901ecd05b6711c381e092a0b1cfcaf.JPG

DSC00932.thumb.JPG.5e7808174e8bf95776ddcb577c351916.JPG

DSC00933.thumb.JPG.3c8b0aa41b4746d20c65b1f82ed865ae.JPG

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 3

On 3/14/2021 at 1:05 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

The north coast of Kauai has been damaged by the latest storm that passed over the islands this week.  Glad "we" had beautiful weather when the ship docked.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/03/13/hawaii-news/reopening-full-highway-on-kauai-might-take-3-months/?HSA=d01de1655da5bd238397ebd55affe08182f7ae22

Other parts of North Shore Oahu (and other islands) have had flood issues.  When it rains, it pours.

Thank you for posting that link, crv8tuv1. 

I was so sorry to read about the storms that have hit Kauai. I hope that they will be able to repair the damage soon, but it looks like it has been quite devastating. 

We were certainly lucky to have experienced such a lovely day here in Kauai. 

Edited by ellie1145

On 3/14/2021 at 3:16 PM, margord said:

I am loving this Hawaiian cruise.  We have had no less than 9 cruises cancelled since March 2020.  Every time they cancel one I book another, then it also get's cancelled.  We have booked a Hawaiian cruise for next April and I am so hoping we can go.

Marilee

P.S.  Loved the shower pictures, the nappy cake and cup cakes.

So glad you are enjoying our virtual cruise to Hawaii. 

How disappointing to have your cruises cancelled. I do hope your Hawaii cruise goes ahead. I think there will be a few more cancelled cruises to come this year, but truly hope that by 2022 the cruise industry will have been able to restart at least some cruises. But it’s not going to be easy and undoubtedly there will be a few hiccough on the way. 🙈

Glad you liked the nappy cake and the cup cake photos. I hope nobody was fed up with me going ‘off topic!’ 🙃

Edited by ellie1145

On 3/14/2021 at 4:48 PM, CruzinNoony said:

You even made the decorations on the tops of the cupcakes!!  I am so impressed with your talent.  Have you considered starting a little business where you would make some extra "cruise money"?

Yes, I did, and it was fun doing it, and not really difficult. 

I think that would be a good idea, CruzinNoony, but they are probably to time consuming to make much of a profit, but you never know! Making a bit more money for cruising certainly has some appeal.......😉

On 3/15/2021 at 12:06 AM, ringers0815 said:

Well I got my first vaccine today! Very happy!

Congratulations! I am so pleased for you. I hope that all this nonsense put out by the disgruntled EU has not put too many people off. Can you believe that President Macron of France and Angela Merkel have both had the AZ vaccine after spreading gloom and doom about its efficacy?

The EU seems to be in a dire state. So few vaccinations completed or even started, numbers of infections going up and up, France needing to lockdown Paris as its intensive care units are full, Italy facing its third wave and Spain not far behind. Until they get a grip, sadly, there will be no cruise ships visiting these countries for a long, long time. 😪 They need to stop the bitterness and start putting their citizens first, instead of playing political games. 

Good luck everyone and hope you get your vaccines very soon. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 12:35 PM, margord said:

Congratulations, I know how good it feels to be on the way to be fully vaccinated.  I got my first about 2 weeks ago and go for my second next week.

Great news, Margord. Glad you are soon to get your second shot! 👍

On 3/17/2021 at 10:11 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Kauai has cleared the road to Hanalei for emergency vehicles.  There is NOT a single island that has a road that goes completely around the perimeter.  Often, there is only one way in and out.  Sometimes there are long detours.  

Kauai:  North End/Kuhio Highway.  Only way in and out

Maui:  Road to Hana.  Only way in and out.  Same for Lahaina to Kahului.  

Hawaii Island:  South End cut off by lava flow a long time ago.  But you can detour and drive From Kona South to Hilo.

Oahu:  East Oahu/Kalanianaole Hwy from Kahala to Hawaii Kai.  Only road.  IF there is an accident that closes the road, you will have a very long detour (40 mile detour).  Actually, there are many stretches of Kalanianaole/Kamehameha Hwys that are often shut down due to accidents.  

Lanai....only has one road.

Molokai:  No road to Kalaupapa.  There's one boat day (a year) for the residents.

Thank you for that information. It is very interesting. 

Your Hawaiian words for today:

Honu = turtle

Aumakua = a Hawaiian personal and family god

There are many, many, many myths. legends, and gods in Hawaiian folklore.

My aumakua is the honu.  Strange as that may seem, I don't like the beach, sun, and can't swim.  

Other animals may be the shark (mano), owl (pue'o), pig (pua'a), gecko, etc.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

We have stayed at Poipu Beach a couple of times and we were lucky enough to see some monk seals.  There were locals stationed nearby to ensure that the tourists didn't get very close to them.  And I love the honu!

It's amazing how quickly the signs with a rope barrier are erected when the seals or turtles venture onto the beach.

Someone must maintain a constant vigil watching for them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

It's amazing how quickly the signs with a rope barrier are erected when the seals or turtles venture onto the beach.

Someone must maintain a constant vigil watching for them.

I thought I had some pictures with a rope barrier but none of these have it.  These are from our visit in 2007 and were taken near Poipu Beach (guessing it was Shipwreck Beach but not 100%).

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1

Sorry I’ve been AWOL for so long!

Daughter  gave birth to a healthy 8lb 1oz baby boy last night. (Not bad as she’s only 5ft 2 inches) Both doing well. Natural midwife led birth with no pain relief thank goodness. 

We are so relieved and ecstatic that he’s here, as the last 3 weeks have been very difficult for her and we thought there could be problems with his birth.

Thank you all for your patience. Xx

Hope you are all keeping safe and well. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Sorry I’ve been AWOL for so long!

Daughter  gave birth to a healthy 8lb 1oz baby boy last night. (Not bad as she’s only 5ft 2 inches) Both doing well. Natural midwife led birth with no pain relief thank goodness. 

We are so relieved and ecstatic that he’s here, as the last 3 weeks have been very difficult for her and we thought there could be problems with his birth.

Thank you all for your patience. Xx

Hope you are all keeping safe and well. 

Congratulations to the new Mum and Dad as well as you and your DH as grandparents to this new "big" boy! As one of your cruise friends, I am relieved to hear all went well with the birth. There is nothing more precious than a baby ... enjoy

Gail

• Thanks 1