CDC Lifts Cruise Ban

molly361

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

Framework for Conditional Sailing Order for Cruise Ships

October 30, 2020 Update

On October 30, 2020, CDC issued a Framework for Conditional Sailing Order. This Order is effective upon signature and will soon be published in the Federal Register.

This Order shall remain in effect until the earliest of

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • November 1, 2021.

5 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Curious what Royal's plan is on where ships will be going and what ships will be first to sail? Carnival's plan since August was six ships would start just doing 3/4 & 7 day cruises just to the Bahamas or Mexico.

I agree, can't wait to hear...hopefully soon! My guess is they will start with Navigator and Mariner, so I'm booked on Mariner. I have a BTB and want to know if that will be allowed. It's a long trip to Port for just 3 or 4 days, but at this point anything is better than nothing!

Edited by Vera/Lee
  • Like 3

"For volunteer passengers on the simulated voyages, they need certification from a healthcare provider that they have no pre-existing medical condition that would put that individual at high risk for COVID 19 as determined by CDC guidance". I don't like this phrasing, because anyone can be at risk for getting infected with COVID; the underlying health conditions may impact how the disease affects the person, but everybody can be at risk for getting COVID.  This is on page 24.

Edited by sandebeach
  • Like 2

This is encouraging news. We deliberately booked 3-7 day cruises for next year, with longer cruises starting in September 2021.  But, it was just because they were cheaper, and not that I had a crystal ball.........................😁

26 minutes ago, twangster said:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

Framework for Conditional Sailing Order for Cruise Ships

October 30, 2020 Update

On October 30, 2020, CDC issued a Framework for Conditional Sailing Order. This Order is effective upon signature and will soon be published in the Federal Register.

This Order shall remain in effect until the earliest of

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • November 1, 2021.

Well....

since Covid19 will not magically disappear from the earth before Nov 2021, this order will remain into effect until then...

which also means that all the recommendations within these 40 pages are to be adhered to by RCL. I have not read it, however I will assume that means length of cruises, on board capacity, etc etc....

which also means that long cruises (ie. TPs and TAs) will very likely not happen next year....

which means that only ships classes that can actually make a bit of profit at reduced capacity will actually sail....

which then means there will be a ton of redployment, itinerary changes, etc.... for example sending Serenade through the Panama Canal (14 day cruise) to Vancouver, and then TPs to Hawaii & Sydney. Won't happen with this order.

which means..... add hundreds more issues/items that could affect your booking.

More than ever, and as expressed by many very early on, the very very very best thing to do is  not book anything at all... sit back and wait until cruising resumes, and only then book a vacation

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 5

Just now, molly361 said:

It seem like there are lots of hoops for them to jump thru BEFORE than can even announce a start date for cruising

Once they are approved to sail (which will take MANY HOOPS TO JUMP THRU), I don't see anything about passengers needing a letter from their healthcare provider. But it does state that the cruise ship operator is responsible for testing passengers before embarking and also disembarking. 

Somewhat surprisingly (to me at least), page 32 says that the cruise operator must conduct testing at embarkation and disembarkation.  So having a test back home 48-72 hours before you board is unlikely to suffice.  

• Like 1

Based upon first reading, it seems that the CDC has established a number of steps that the cruise lines need to undertake before there will be any cruises open for booking.

First it appears lines will need to show and demonstrate that they have systems and procedures in place to protect crews.  Then, they must complete any build-out (medical facilities, quarantine areas, social distancing measures, etc) needed to operate safely in the current situation and undergo inspection during an approval process.  Then, cruise lines must participate in “test” cruises: again, to get approval to resume operations.

I am reading the section about what must be done if there is a positive test during the cruise. Now I understand why RC talked about “drive-to markets”. You will not be allowed to use commercial transportation to leave the ship. I imagine that driving home in your own car would be ok?

• Like 2

Wow...that's a lot of conditions to try to start cruise ships up again in just over 4 weeks.  Definitely not seeing anything going in December.  

Another weird thing....why start with short sailings?  Isn't there a lot more turnover of fresh virus possibilities with more people coming and going more often?  

• Like 6

Well, if they need some simulated passengers, they could get people who have antibodies and have gotten over covid.  I'll volunteer! 😉  Better hurry though - I hear I may lose them in 90-120 days.  😞  And believe me, I don't EVER want to go through covid hell again.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1