Well this a good first step cdc lifts ban kind of

bikerunner

4 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

Yep.  I read that as well.  Means my December 2020 and Feb 2021 are going to be canceled.

Will they cancel these cruises outright?  Or will they potentially reposition them as shorter cruises?  Or will they potentially even take a 10 night cruise, for example, and turn it into a B2B of 5 nights each  I haven't read the document but haven't heard anyone say anything about not doing B2B's.  If they did that, they obviously would need to change the itinerary but it could be an option.  It keeps the ships reasonably close to the US so they can come back to embarkation port within 2 days if they needed to, and allows people already booked on the longer cruises to still cruise if they want to.  My hope is that Celebrity comes out with some specifics soon.  I can't believe they didn't have a lot of info about what was coming and thus have been busy making plans.

Possibly? But by definition, the B2B of 2 5 night cruises would not be the same as a 10 night cruise.  

So, we wait.  I already made final payment on my Dec 2020 cruise, and I'm now certain it will be canceled as it was out of Tampa on CN.  

I. Guessing thru March min all itinerary will 7 or less. Also not all ships will be in service until more info is gathered on the cruises.  No reason to start bringing into service until known all protocols and safe cruising can take place. Also now will see cruise itineraries come about who where will allow etc. lots more pieces to go. This was just step one overall.  Let’s the cruise lines start working plans in a test environment in a way 

9 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Sounds like my 9-night Equinox cruise in May is in jeopardy. Let’s hope some decision is known before final payment is due in February.

mac_tlc

Keep the faith! May gives them 7 months to figure things out and hopefully start sailing safely! We have Alaska booked for May 30th and I am hopeful we will get to go. Granted, it's out of Vancouver, and our government just extended our cruise ban until the end of February, but I hope that will give them time to see the cruise lines successfully and safely restart so we can have an Alaska and Canada/New England sailing season out of Canada this year!

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

Interestingly, the CDC document calls for "simulated voyages" with "volunteer passengers."  One could speculate that the volunteers could be employees of the cruise lines or simply members of the general public. 

Just a thought....Perhaps some of the "volunteer passengers" could be travel agents.  Travel agents would then have first hand knowledge of what sailing is now like and be able to let their clients know of their experience, which could help boost bookings.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/CDC-Conditional-Sail-Order_10_30_2020-p.pdf

Just started reading but looks like it's for crew only with subsequent orders at a later date after they demonstrate capabilities with crew only sailings.

The requirements for cruises with passengers starts around page 31 to 35.  It is pretty complete.

Conform to CDC recommendations for facial coverings and distancing

test crew each week and report results to CDC

Test all passengers when embarking and disembarking

Warn passengers that an occurrence of COVID on board can impact their future travel plans

Everything discussed on CC about possible requirements is pretty much there.

2 hours ago, jg51 said:

The cruise ship operator must also obtain from all volunteer passengers a written certification from a healthcare provider that the volunteer passenger has no pre-existing medical conditions that would place that individual at high risk for COVID-19

So, over 70’s are again denied cruising, just like we were in the spring, when a Doctors ‘Fit to Sail’ letter was required.

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Will they cancel these cruises outright?  Or will they potentially reposition them as shorter cruises?  Or will they potentially even take a 10 night cruise, for example, and turn it into a B2B of 5 nights each  I haven't read the document but haven't heard anyone say anything about not doing B2B's.  If they did that, they obviously would need to change the itinerary but it could be an option.  It keeps the ships reasonably close to the US so they can come back to embarkation port within 2 days if they needed to, and allows people already booked on the longer cruises to still cruise if they want to.  My hope is that Celebrity comes out with some specifics soon.  I can't believe they didn't have a lot of info about what was coming and thus have been busy making plans.

I thought B2B was not allowed under the new cruise guidelines? Or maybe that was just in Europe?

Either way, it's a bit insane to even be talking about cruises sailing again when we just had 90,000+ new cases in one day, the most since the pandemic began. In fact we have broken the total cases record multiple times over the past week or so with all signs pointing to increases continuing country-wide.

I mean Canada is cancelling cruising until the end of February and it sounds like the people who actually care about keeping people safe at the CDC wanted to do the same but were overruled. Hopefully the new administration that starts in mid-January shuts this nonsense down.

23 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

So, over 70’s are again denied cruising, just like we were in the spring, when a Doctors ‘Fit to Sail’ letter was required.

I could be wrong, but I think that is only for the initial test cruises, or whatever they are calling them.  I don't think there is anything in there about a fit to sail letter long term.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I thought B2B was not allowed under the new cruise guidelines? Or maybe that was just in Europe?

Either way, it's a bit insane to even be talking about cruises sailing again when we just had 90,000+ new cases in one day, the most since the pandemic began. In fact we have broken the total cases record multiple times over the past week or so with all signs pointing to increases continuing country-wide.

I mean Canada is cancelling cruising until the end of February and it sounds like the people who actually care about keeping people safe at the CDC wanted to do the same but were overruled. Hopefully the new administration that starts in mid-January shuts this nonsense down.

I had heard something about no B2B but I don't think it was part of the CDC requirements.  Who knows how it will all shake out.

Truthfully, if they really implement all the things they are talking about, I suspect a person will likely be safer on a cruise ship than they are in their home town in many cases!  Of course totally staying home is the safest but I think only a small segment of folks are doing that.

37 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

I can not find anything in the document that limits age or adds any restrictions because of age.

• Like 1

These are in place until November 1 2021 unless the CDC modifies them.

No sailing for more than 7 days from/to US Ports.

Prior to accepting a reservation the cruise ship operator must notify passengers of any CDC travel advisories. This includes direct mail, on ship and website offerings.

Passenger and Crew Screening for Covid the day of Embarkation including laboratory testing.

If a threshold of Covid is met on a cruise (not defined from what I can see) the following happens:

1. Immediately end the voyage and return to the US.

2. Cancel all further voyages for the affected ship.

3. Quarantine the infected passengers.

4. Quarantine all the remaining passengers and non essential crew.

5. Passengers and crew cannot use commercial transportation when leaving the ship. (Doesn't say where they take you).

Based on other requirements it looks like a ship will not arrive and depart the same day so no back to back without getting off waiting a day or so and checking in again. This is going to make the Alaska 2021 season kinda tough if they don't relent.

23 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Based on other requirements it looks like a ship will not arrive and depart the same day so no back to back without getting off waiting a day or so and checking in again.

What did you see that lead you to come to the conclusion that ships will not arrive/depart the same day.  Not disputing it but don't remember seeing it.    I agree there won't be B2B to prevent transmitting from one group of passengers to the next.   Yes there is the crew but they will be tested weekly (and necessary for operation).

25 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

These are in place until November 1 2021 unless the CDC modifies them.

No sailing for more than 7 days from/to US Ports.

Prior to accepting a reservation the cruise ship operator must notify passengers of any CDC travel advisories. This includes direct mail, on ship and website offerings.

Passenger and Crew Screening for Covid the day of Embarkation including laboratory testing.

If a threshold of Covid is met on a cruise (not defined from what I can see) the following happens:

1. Immediately end the voyage and return to the US.

2. Cancel all further voyages for the affected ship.

3. Quarantine the infected passengers.

4. Quarantine all the remaining passengers and non essential crew.

5. Passengers and crew cannot use commercial transportation when leaving the ship. (Doesn't say where they take you).

Based on other requirements it looks like a ship will not arrive and depart the same day so no back to back without getting off waiting a day or so and checking in again. This is going to make the Alaska 2021 season kinda tough if they don't relent.

all passengers must be tested before they can disembark as well.

The 7 day limit means that just like the crew the passengers cannot go longer than 7 days without being tested.

2 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

What did you see that lead you to come to the conclusion that ships will not arrive/depart the same day.  Not disputing it but don't remember seeing it.    I agree there won't be B2B to prevent transmitting from one group of passengers to the next.   Yes there is the crew but they will be tested weekly (and necessary for operation).

with all passengers having to test and get results before disembarkation, clearing the ship will be a slow process.

30 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I read the 40 page document on the CDC site. It sounds like a lot to get through to disembark satisfy the CDC demands and Embark passengers all in the same day. 

Plus what nocl added above.

Edited by HaveWeMetYet

3 hours ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Keep the faith! May gives them 7 months to figure things out and hopefully start sailing safely! We have Alaska booked for May 30th and I am hopeful we will get to go. Granted, it's out of Vancouver, and our government just extended our cruise ban until the end of February, but I hope that will give them time to see the cruise lines successfully and safely restart so we can have an Alaska and Canada/New England sailing season out of Canada this year!

The standard required for Canada to open to tourism is COVID pretty much under control and many people vaccinated.  Do not remember the exact wording.  Would expect extension till April to come in January as little effect.  By March we will have a good as to what the future will bring.

The 7 day rule likely will put TAs on the cancellation list in April too.

Agree it would be nice to cancel Dec and Jan cruises are at the least January will require new schedules.

1 hour ago, nocl said:

with all passengers having to test and get results before disembarkation, clearing the ship will be a slow process.

Makes me think of all the announcements that will follow - instead of hearing "Will Mr/Ms X of Cabin X on X Deck please go to Guest Services immediately" it will be "Will Mr/Ms X of Cabin X on X Deck please go to the Testing Area immediately", because you just know some people will be uncooperative LOL.

I also wonder how much $ the tests will cost?

• Like 1