No Sail Order Lifted

ceilidh1

Been on 30 cruises. I love everything about cruising. Meeting new people, trying new foods, going to places I've never been to or going back to places I have been, quietly enjoying a day on the deck in the sun while I float around the ocean but this a really bad idea. 

Yesterday there was more than 100,000 new cases in the US with Florida being a red hot zone. Forget the politics, that many people getting sick in one area is not an enticing proposition for me and its going to get worse before it gets better. I really don't care that there's going to be policies in place for cruise lines because there's still too many things that need to be addressed. 

What's going to happen when the inevitable happens and there's a breakout on a ship? Are they going to be able to get back to port of departure or are they going to be stuck floating around the oceans?

Testing - there are no accurate enough tests that can determine "right now" if someone has Covid so they're going to have to rely on people supplying tests that are a few days old indicating they are not positive. That means of course that I can take a test 3 days before I sail, fly to Florida enjoy a couple of days at Disney, in restaurants enjoying myself and then walk on a ship (newly infected for Covid) and spread the joy.

I could go on but I wont. Suffice to say, jumping on a cruise ship out of Florida right now, as much as I'd like to, is a really bad idea. 2022 has been my tentative plan for resuming to cruise. Nothing that has gone on in the last few days has bumped that up. If anything, 2023 is looking like a distinct possibility right now.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Been on 30 cruises. I love everything about cruising. Meeting new people, trying new foods, going to places I've never been to or going back to places I have been, quietly enjoying a day on the deck in the sun while I float around the ocean but this a really bad idea. 

Yesterday there was more than 100,000 new cases in the US with Florida being a red hot zone. Forget the politics, that many people getting sick in one area is not an enticing proposition for me and its going to get worse before it gets better. I really don't care that there's going to be policies in place for cruise lines because there's still too many things that need to be addressed. 

What's going to happen when the inevitable happens and there's a breakout on a ship? Are they going to be able to get back to port of departure or are they going to be stuck floating around the oceans?

Testing - there are no accurate enough tests that can determine "right now" if someone has Covid so they're going to have to rely on people supplying tests that are a few days old indicating they are not positive. That means of course that I can take a test 3 days before I sail, fly to Florida enjoy a couple of days at Disney, in restaurants enjoying myself and then walk on a ship (newly infected for Covid) and spread the joy.

I could go on but I wont. Suffice to say, jumping on a cruise ship out of Florida right now, as much as I'd like to, is a really bad idea. 2022 has been my tentative plan for resuming to cruise. Nothing that has gone on in the last few days has bumped that up. If anything, 2023 is looking like a distinct possibility right now.

A very concise summary. Your comment about testing and that nothing can determine "right now" if a person has the virus is what seems to be continually overlooked. Until this changes or we have a vaccine, cruising on a large scale or cruising as we used to know it, is not practicable. 

13 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

There is no such virus. There is a novel corona virus also called covid -19  is that what you mean? The one that has taken almost a quarter of a million lives. 

The washington Post also is reporting on the resuming of cruising

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/10/30/cruise-covid-ban-lifted/

Well put. Quarter of a million in the US, over a million world wide. The original post you refer to has been reported. I hope they take it down. Referring to it as the OP did is meant to denigrate a race of people and make them out to be the bogey man. We can all agree to disagree but racist comments like the "Wuhan Virus" have no place on a public forum.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

It might be less inflammatory to call it by a scientific name.  I also know medical professionals who object to certain names being used.  

And I know Chinese people who not only have no problem with it but use the term all the time. Object all they want but it won't change a thing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Well put. Quarter of a million in the US, over a million world wide. The original post you refer to has been reported. I hope they take it down. Referring to it as the OP did is meant to denigrate a race of people and make them out to be the bogey man. We can all agree to disagree but racist comments like the "Wuhan Virus" have no place on a public forum.

So Chinese people who refer to it as "Wuhan virus" are racist? They will love to hear that.

• Like 1

I'm curious to see how the cruise lines are going to handle those folks with medical conditions who can't wear a mask?

While there are people who have a legitimate issue with this, we've all see those who don't and say it's their 'right' not to wear one if they don't want to. They get on planes and trains, etc,  and wait until the doors close and they are in motion then remove it. 😬

17 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Many of us are willing to comply, but worried about those that won't.  In Puerto Vallarta now.  Every employee diligent about covid protocols, but a few violators have us on edge.  Btw, they are mostly fron the us and very rude, teling us that this is a hoax!

These people should be forced to witness the Covid patients struggling to breathe in the ICU!  These "hoaxers" have been drinking the Kool Aid!!!

Same for those who do not wear a mask in the stores!

15 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

You can bet there will probably be a fair majority who will not comply....leopards will not change their spots and as we know crews on Princess are often reluctant to enforce Princess' policies and they often look the other way.....I am sure it is going to be a stressful environment and not enjoyable for the money some people are willing to pay.....we will wait for vaccine and/or successful medical treatments before venturing on to a cruise ship.  We have been enjoying land travel to date and some flights to resort destinations.

I am hoping that because of the threat of closing down again, the cruiselines will ABSOLUTLY have to enforce the mask rule and the hand cleaning with a vengeance.  Maybe they could hire Bruce Willis look a likes!!

• Like 1

Considering EB T/A options ... for Enchanted Princess or any ship with a 22 knot service speed ... Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades) to Southampton UK ... Direct voyage (nonstop) 7 days 7 hours ... also not in compliance with CDC order of 10/30/20.

44 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

These people should be forced to witness the Covid patients struggling to breathe in the ICU!  These "hoaxers" have been drinking the Kool Aid!!!

Same for those who do not wear a mask in the stores!

Have you ever noticed how many of the  admitted Covid-19 hoaxers who have gotten the disease always post a video from the hospital "telling others they were wrong, that the disease is not a joke,  to take it seriously and also wear a mask and social distance."  

Just a matter of time before some other hoaxers will change their tune when their life, their family's lives or friend's life become threatened by catching Covid-19.  

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

Considering EB T/A options ... for Enchanted Princess or any ship with a 22 knot service speed ... Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades) to Gibraltar UK ... Direct voyage (nonstop) 7 days 5 hours ... also not in compliance with CDC order of 10/30/20.

Great great news.  The Cruise Industry will not be able to begin to make plans to get the process going in regards to reopening.

Would expect to see the first cruises out of Miami and Port Canaveral with lines such as RCCL and Carnival using their newest cruise liners with reduced capacity doing initially 3-4 days, but then expanding to 7 days cruises with a stop at one of their outer islands and perhaps one cruise port.  

1 hour ago, runner2013 said:

I'm curious to see how the cruise lines are going to handle those folks with medical conditions who can't wear a mask?

While there are people who have a legitimate issue with this, we've all see those who don't and say it's their 'right' not to wear one if they don't want to. They get on planes and trains, etc,  and wait until the doors close and they are in motion then remove it. 😬

Most medical experts say that if you are in respiratory distress then you should not wear a mask but beyond that there are very few reasons why a mask cannot be worn to stop the spread of a deadly disease.

The CDC simply says masks should not be worn by children under age 2, ''or anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance."

If people cannot wear a mask then maybe they should not be on a cruise ship during a pandemic.  The airlines seem to have no problem enforcing mask wearing or having passengers take another flight but not on their planes if they cannot or refuse to wear a mask.

Hopefully the cruise lines will not let the "medical excuse" of not being able to wear a mask turn into the "fake service animal" scam that people often pull to get their pets on board ships, planes and in restaurants and stores.  

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Most medical experts say that if you are in respiratory distress then you should not wear a mask but beyond that there are very few reasons why a mask cannot be worn to stop the spread of a deadly disease.

The CDC simply says masks should not be worn by children under age 2, ''or anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance."

If people cannot wear a mask then maybe they should not be on a cruise ship during a pandemic.  The airlines seem to have no problem enforcing mask wearing or having passengers take another flight but not on their planes if they cannot or refuse to wear a mask.

Hopefully the cruise lines will not let the "medical excuse" of not being able to wear a mask turn into the "fake service animal" scam that people often pull to get their pets on board ships, planes and in restaurants and stores.  

Very well said.  If you cannot wear a mask, then, at least until we have a safe and effective vaccine, one should not be on a cruise.  There is a fairly wide selection of what I call “Air Travel” masks which unlike the N-95 are designed to be worn for long periods of time.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Renmar said:

Although I know the name “Wuhan Virus” my recollection is that it is only being used by a very small group of people. The more common name of Covid19 is well known.

Theo

Not necessarily that small, but we are a world of around 7B people..

9 hours ago, generichandle said:

Drinking alcohol is legal for people 'of age' in USA. Driving an automobile is legal in the USA. Drinking much AND driving is illegal in the USA. Why? Not because you put yourself at risk, but because you put OTHERS at risk. SCOTUS has agreed that government DOES have an overriding need to not allow 'liberties' that put OTHERS at risk. 

You made an interesting point.  However, the drunk driver example is quite different from government enforcing a legal mandate to wear a mask.  In order for a drunk driver to be removed from the road and convicted of a law violation, scientific evidence of intoxication is required.  When it is clearly established using scientific evidence that a driver is endangering the public due to a specific level of intoxication SCOTUS agrees that the overriding public need would take precedence.  What is still prohibited is limiting a person's civil rights arising from a mere concern that a person may have a dangerous contagion.  The mere fact that a person is not wearing a mask does not in itself give rise to a reasonable suspicion that the individual is infected and endangering public health and safety.  It is estimated that 3.3 million Americans have active Covid disease.  That number represents about 1% of the population of the US.  Therefore, someone not wearing a mask is about 99% likely to be Covid free and thus does not represent a clear and present danger to others.  The mere fact that a person is not wearing a mask is not enough to make a determination that he/she actually presents a risk to others.

That said, I am not against people wearing masks, I always wear one whenever I am out in public.  Being in close proximity to another person who is not wearing a mask certainly makes me uncomfortable and I will not remain near such an individual.  Before Covid-19 showed up, I wouldn't sit next to a person who was hacking and coughing even though he/she may just have seasonal allergies.  As individuals we can certainly make decisions regarding how we interact with people not wearing a mask, but I do not believe the government has the ability to dictate the conduct of the entire population when only 1% of that population presents the risk. 

Stay well and please wear a mask.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Considering EB T/A options ... for Enchanted Princess or any ship with a 22 knot service speed ... Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades) to Gibraltar UK ... Direct voyage (nonstop) 7 days 5 hours ... also not in compliance with CDC order of 10/30/20.

I'm a little concerned about that one but it is 6 months out and a lot could happen in that time ..... hopefully for the better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'm a little concerned about that one but it is 6 months out and a lot could happen in that time ..... hopefully for the better. 

is the 7 day order for cruises that have paying customers, or all cruises - seems like repositioning cruises over 7 days with crew only would almost have to be allowed given where these ships currently are

14 minutes ago, voljeep said:

is the 7 day order for cruises that have paying customers, or all cruises - seems like repositioning cruises over 7 days with crew only would almost have to be allowed given where these ships currently are

of course if the ships are going one way outside of US waters the rules of both the originating and receiving  country would apply.

• Like 1