Volunteer Passengers?

ipeeinthepool

25 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The CDC order was clear - crew only simulation cruises at first.

No it also includes volunteer passengers.  It is described on page 24 in the simulated voyage section.

The volunteer passengers cannot have any pre-existing conditions that will make them high risk for COVID.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mom says said:

And I think they suggested that the volunteers would come first from employees and their families. I wouldn't want to be a Guinea pig.

They did not suggest any source for the volunteer passengers.  Only requirements on the waiver that they had to sign and that they could not have any conditions placing them at high risk for COVID.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nocl said:

No it also includes volunteer passengers.  It is described on page 24 in the simulated voyage section.

The volunteer passengers cannot have any pre-existing conditions that will make them high risk for COVID.

At some point they need to expand the test group to those passengers at some risk so they can see if their procedures really work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Life Buoy said:

At some point they need to expand the test group to those passengers at some risk so they can see if their procedures really work. 

I believe it is to see if any cases develop, not to place passengers at risk.  Low risk volunteers can do that just as well as high risk passengers, without the high risk.  After all there will be testing upon embarkation and upon disembarkation as well as weekly crew testing.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, nocl said:

They did not suggest any source for the volunteer passengers.  Only requirements on the waiver that they had to sign and that they could not have any conditions placing them at high risk for COVID.

Let's some people out....is old age a condition for high risk?  even if you're a healthy 'old ager'?

I would absolutely love to volunteer as tribute. But I'm pretty positive the 'volunteer pool' will be limited to friends and family of crew- and possibly some news media and maybe travel agents. But I don't see it ever being open to the general public, unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

I would absolutely love to volunteer as tribute. But I'm pretty positive the 'volunteer pool' will be limited to friends and family of crew- and possibly some news media and maybe travel agents. But I don't see it ever being open to the general public, unfortunately.

Like all non revenue cruises, who they invite is at the discretion of the cruise line baring any restriction from the CDC.

As far as risk factors the document did call out a Dr's certification that the passenger is not high risk.  This was for the simulation sailings only.  Nothing said about restrictions on regular passenger sailings.

Like I said in the other thread about if you'd cruise right now, absolutely and I'd be very willing to jump on board as a volunteer for one of "shake down" cruises.  I'm more than willing to wear a mask and do all the things we'd normally do on a trip if necessary, then again sitting on my balcony watching to ocean is something we normally do too!

I think they will need to do some "mock" drills and exposure events to test out the contact tracing, medical responses and maybe even the isolation requirements in a port city.  I doubt it will just be 3 days of typical sailing.

Edited by garyl62
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I'd gladly be a guinea pig. I'm 78 years old, but with no conditions, either past or present, other than age. I don't even take any prescriptions.

We'll gladly join you! Not quite 70 yet, but no pre-existing conditions (except a love of cruising) and no medications at all.

X please sign us up ! 😊

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Let's some people out....is old age a condition for high risk?  even if you're a healthy 'old ager'?

Looks to me that a doctors letter will be required, ie reverting to the situation in the spring when Celebrity required a ‘Fit to Sail’ letter from the over 70’s. 

As far as risk factors the document did call out a Dr's certification that the passenger is not high risk.  This was for the simulation sailings only.  Nothing said about restrictions on regular passenger sailings.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, emmas gran said:

I think there are a lot of us willing to be guinea pigs on the early sailings😘

No thanks, as it would entail flying to USA, so a 7 day sailing is a No No. 

Also if COVID breaks out on the ship you won’t be helped to get home.

I will wait until the ships come to UK, when I can drive to the port.