Inhouse Oceania agents paid commission?

zoncom

Why does it matter to you? 

Independent Travel Agents are compensated in multiple different methods. Even Agents at the same Agency can be compensated in different manners. 

Is your question then, do any,or has there ever been any In-house sales member receive commissions? 

I don’t deal with them so haven’t a clue. Unless one of the posters here are ex in house sales, I highly doubt anyone here knows for sure either.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Why does it matter to you?

3 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Im with Pinot Lover why do you care???

Jancruz1

Geeze, two helpful answers😳, aren’t you glad you asked, zoncom😂 Didn’t know that asking a question on CC had to be accompanied by a reason for asking. 

I’ve wondered this myself, and if I must have an answer as to why, I guess simple curiosity. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Are we limited to asking questions that certain people approve of first?  A question is a freaking question and as long as it isn’t obscene or goes against the terms of service, all questions should be allowed, whether someone thinks it’s a silly question ( I don’t happen to think the OP’s question is out of bounds) or not.  Sometimes, we as humans, are just curious, it’s just that simple.  I’ve been ripped in the past for asking a question that some here thought was stupid, but when dealing with online personalities, we take the good with the not so good.  Sorry, zoncom, for people being disrespectful.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Ok, I’ll bite! How are the two of you compensated for the work you’re currently doing, or have done in the past? What hourly or monthly rates have you been paid? Where do the two of you go to church, synagogue, or whatever? Curious cruisers want to know who we’re cruising with! 

Is your compensation or religious affiliation any of our business? For many of us, compensation, which you asked about,  is a personal thing. It’s not anyone else’s business . 

I personally believe attempting to stick your nose into others personal affairs is far different from asking generic questions about cruising or cruising experiences.

What about company paid medical care, any paid vacation time, insurance benefits? Any other compensation questions you believe are important to you and think are your business?

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 3

If agents are paid commission then it could be said that information they give as well as advice may not be completely biased towards the client but rather the itinerary/cost of the cruise - I wonder if that is the gist of the more in-depth version of the question the OP is asking. 

Any employee is always going to be more intent on the customer considering a more expensive option, commission or not. 

I’m a big fan of due diligence - almost every cruise on Oceania is a big ticket purchase - do your homework 🙂

I do agree that there are times that softening of replies so they don’t sound outright aggressive would be a nice thing to have on this board, but maybe we can put the couple of harsh replies on here down to tension with regard to the current situation. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Ok, I’ll bite! How are the two of you compensated for the work you’re currently doing, or have done in the past? What hourly or monthly rates have you been paid? Where do the two of you go to church, synagogue, or whatever? Curious cruisers want to know who we’re cruising with! 

Is your compensation or religious affiliation any of our business? For many of us, compensation, which you asked about,  is a personal thing. It’s not anyone else’s business . 

I personally believe attempting to stick your nose into others personal affairs is far different from asking generic questions about cruising or cruising experiences.

What about company paid medical care, any paid vacation time, insurance benefits? Any other compensation questions you believe are important to you and think are your business?

Personal questions are something that an individual can either answer or not, and I have no argument with that. 

Zoncom asked if Oceania agents received commission. He evidently asked an individual, but in my opinion was coming here to see if others had an answer to what is Oceania’s company policy. So I don’t believe your argument of an individual pertains here Pinot. 

And I stand by point, the initial respond to the OP was rude and not helpful. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If the OPs question was based on some personal experience, that might be the issue  But, it would be more helpful to all to so state that.

One can always assume that sales staff are rewarded in some way.... from the proverbial ‘Pat on the back’ to increased remuneration. 

Im sorry, not being rude just not understanding what possible difference it would make to a customer/client..the agent works for the cruise line and no matter what will take their side and try to upsell the client..

Please someone explain to me why anyone would want to know..

Jancruz1

There is far more motivation to upsell and perhaps not precisely meet the customer's needs if you are getting a percentage of the price paid.  This is pretty obvious to me.

I always want to know if someone is making a commission.

Consider a flat fee financial planner vs one who is making a commission on sale of securities.

DUH

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, bitob said:

There is far more motivation to upsell and perhaps not precisely meet the customer's needs if you are getting a percentage of the price paid.  This is pretty obvious to me.

I always want to know if someone is making a commission.

Consider a flat fee financial planner vs one who is making a commission on sale of securities.

DUH

Im sorry DUH??? A financial planner makes a lot of money on commission Lorraine, how can you compare a reservation agent??

Jancruz1

24 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Im sorry DUH??? A financial planner makes a lot of money on commission Lorraine, how can you compare a reservation agent??

Jancruz1

The statement was about flat fee financial financial planners. A flat fee financial planner isn't paid commission so they have no incentive to churn your portfolio or move your money to investments that would them pay higher commissions. Instead they are paid under a variety of different fee structures, examples being a fixed percentage of your assets under management, a flat annual retainer, an hourly fee, or a per-plan fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our floor wine guys are hourly, no commissions. They still try to upsell you! Come in looking for wine, they’re not going to point you to Ripple or Cold Duck! That’s called sales! But if you insist, they’ll show you the Ripple! Is the OP offended that they won’t show him the Ripple first!  😂

Some  travel agents   are paid a salary  or can also get  a commission or just  a commission

I am sure the O reps  might get the same deal or an incentive  for higher monthly sales  like car dealer/real estate agents etc..

Just like real estate agents you tell them the price you want to pay for  a house they show you ones way above your  limit ...WHY?   because they make more money

It is the way of the world

to the OP  curious minds want to know

So if the O rep said yes they work on commission  do you then ask them how much they get?

Or  tell them you do not want to book with them because they may try to upsell you?

In the end it is your choice  to pay the higher price or stick to your budget

JMO

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Some  travel agents   are paid a salary  or can also get  a commission or just  a commission

I am sure the O reps  might get the same deal or an incentive  for higher monthly sales  like car dealer/real estate agents etc..

Just like real estate agents you tell them the price you want to pay for  a house they show you ones way above your  limit ...WHY?   because they make more money

It is the way of the world

to the OP  curious minds want to know

So if the O rep said yes they work on commission  do you then ask them how much they get?

Or  tell them you do not want to book with them because they may try to upsell you?

In the end it is your choice  to pay the higher price or stick to your budget

JMO

All valid points, Jan.

However, I'm still left wondering why after a couple of days with this thread, there has been no answer to a simple question do in-house agents receive a commission?  In fact there has been real push back as to why the the question was even asked.  Jancruz is someone that for me, is a valued contributor, I've enjoyed her insight for years on all things Oceania.  I believe she could answer this question easily.  Unless this is something that Oceania Cruise Lines does not want to be common knowledge, and that only leads me to asking why?   I can't speak for zoncom, but I don't give a fig about the how much, none of my business. 

Commissions and all other variations of addition remuneration are a fact of life.   I don't find them suspect if paid to an in-house Oceania agent or to one's own trusted travel agent.  When it comes to cruising, I share ToxM's philosophy, and that is due diligence.  I do a boatload of research before ever contacting my agent.  I prefer to know the answers to most of my questions before ever making the call or sending the email.

I've always assumed that the Oceania in-house agents receive a commission and it is most likely merit based.  So, why the secrecy?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alaskaca said:

All valid points, Jan.

However, I'm still left wondering why after a couple of days with this thread, there has been no answer to a simple question do in-house agents receive a commission?  In fact there has been real push back as to why the the question was even asked.  Jancruz is someone that for me, is a valued contributor, I've enjoyed her insight for years on all things Oceania.  I believe she could answer this question easily.  Unless this is something that Oceania Cruise Lines does not want to be common knowledge, and that only leads me to asking why?   I can't speak for zoncom, but I don't give a fig about the how much, none of my business. 

Commissions and all other variations of addition remuneration are a fact of life.   I don't find them suspect if paid to an in-house Oceania agent or to one's own trusted travel agent.  When it comes to cruising, I share ToxM's philosophy, and that is due diligence.  I do a boatload of research before ever contacting my agent.  I prefer to know the answers to most of my questions before ever making the call or sending the email.

I've always assumed that the Oceania in-house agents receive a commission and it is most likely merit based.  So, why the secrecy?

As a response, let’s start with the OP. 

On 10/31/2020 at 10:58 AM, zoncom said:

Was told no but not sure I got honest answer. 

“Was told NO.“  Why particularly does the OP feel they were lied to? Attempting to upsell or push any given product is not the sole dominion of a commission salesman!

At this point would any answer other than yes satisfy the OP? Would anyone  else responding “no” be a liar also in the OP’s mind? 

At this point, it’s obvious no one knows the answer, or personally chooses to answer it. I do not now, nor have I ever been employed by Oceania. Don’t believe any of the other posters have either. Therefore, we don’t know the compensation arrangement of the company’s employees.

Since no one knows the answer, the kindest thing to have done would have been to allow this thread to die with no responses. 

Silence would have been golden!

1 hour ago, alaskaca said:

However, I'm still left wondering why after a couple of days with this thread, there has been no answer to a simple question do in-house agents receive a commission?  

Maybe there are no inhouse reps posting on CC

I really do not see what difference it makes

I worked in retail most of my life  NEVER on commission  but some of my customers would ask  if I did  so that I would get credit for the sale 

We worked  as team & just as long as the customer  is getting what they came for  that is what counted

If they are trying to upsell the OP  the OP has the choice  to say no thank you 

Wonder if they ask everyone they do business with  what they earn or get commission 🙄

JMO

53 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe there are no inhouse reps posting on CC

I really do not see what difference it makes

I worked in retail most of my life  NEVER on commission  but some of my customers would ask  if I did  so that I would get credit for the sale 

We worked  as team & just as long as the customer  is getting what they came for  that is what counted

If they are trying to upsell the OP  the OP has the choice  to say no thank you 

Wonder if they ask everyone they do business with  what they earn or get commission 🙄

JMO

In the beginning, I booked directly with the cruise line. I received a lot of help from the man I worked with at HAL. I was then told by a friend about the incentives that TAs can offer, above what the cruise lines do. I asked my representative from HAL if he would still receive his commission from my booking if I moved it to a TA. After all of his help I didn't want him to lose out on a sale. He assured me he would still be credited with the booking. Now, I have no idea what his compensation is but I was relieved to know transferring my booking would not have a negative impact on him. Since then I have always done my initial booking with the cruise line and then transferred to a TA.

All of this is to say, that sometimes there is a reason to ask a question.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

In the beginning, I booked directly with the cruise line. I received a lot of help from the man I worked with at HAL. I was then told by a friend about the incentives that TAs can offer, above what the cruise lines do. I asked my representative from HAL if he would still receive his commission from my booking if I moved it to a TA. After all of his help I didn't want him to lose out on a sale. He assured me he would still be credited with the booking. Now, I have no idea what his compensation is but I was relieved to know transferring my booking would not have a negative impact on him. Since then I have always done my initial booking with the cruise line and then transferred to a TA.

All of this is to say, that sometimes there is a reason to ask a question.

So are you saying  the cruise rep gets a commission or just recognition ?🤔

Then the TA you transferred to also gets the commission?

The Cruise line employee may get recognition (maybe not monetary) but  I cannot see both parties getting the commission

Cannot see  a Travel agent working for free & offering incentives  to boot

Just saying

4 hours ago, alaskaca said:

All valid points, Jan.

Thank you for the kind words, the truth is, I never work with in house agents so honestly I have no idea how they are compensated...I could ask but in reality I dont think it its something I need to know..Sorry I cant help on this one..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

I would be willing to bet that pretty much all of the in house reps are Call Center employees. Usually call center employees get some type of incentive, not necessarily a commission, for performance and closed sales. This would go for most types of call center employees. It's hard to keep motivation high in this line of work.