Inhouse Oceania agents paid commission?

zoncom

I'll let you all know why I think it is a valid question and one I've wondered about.  When I book with an O rep and later move my reservation to a TA, does the O rep lose income from that booking or not.  I've booked with in-house when trying to find a better TA than the one I'm currently working with and don't want to lose a particular stateroom.  This way I've secured what I want and have time to decide on a new TA based on recommendations.

That's MY reason for wanting to know.

Hope I've answered your questions re WHY?.

Donna

I think Donna is making a good point.  I usually book with a TA for the extra discount or OBC.  I sometimes use direct resources during my evaluation process, prior to booking.  I like to think that the cruise company/staff does not really care where I book, just that I book.  I do know that the cruise company makes more money if I book without a TA.  I guess it does not bother me if the company makes less when I use a TA. It does bother me somewhat if a particular employee loses out after spending a lot of time with me.  I try to limit the use of non TA resources by using mostly on line tools.
When I make a large item purchase, I always like to know whether the sales person helping me cares whether I go back to them if I purchase later. If someone has been particularly helpful, I will try hard to return when they are available. ( if I know they are “compensated”.)  I recently purchased an expensive washer and dryer at HD.  During my first visit, I asked the employee helping me what hours she worked.  She said that they do not work on commission and anyone that was working the day I returned could help me.  

For me, the question might be reworded.  Does an Oceania direct Sales Rep receive incentives and compensation when I book?  Does that Sales Rep lose those benefits if I book with a TA or later transfer the booking to a TA?

For me, the question might be reworded.  Does an Oceania direct Sales Rep receive incentives and compensation when I book?  Does that Sales Rep lose those benefits if I book with a TA or later transfer the booking to a TA?

I can answer that..Once a sales rep gets benefits and makes a booking the company never takes them away..
Jancruz1
Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

I can answer that..Once a sales rep gets benefits and makes a booking the company never takes them away..
Jancruz1

I had a rather unique situation in April of this year.

I was booked on an Oceania trans-Atlantic cruise out of Buenos Aires which was cancelled.  Earlier when I had made final payment I received a cash rebate from the TA which was standard practice for this agency.  

When the cruise was cancelled the agency  demanded that I refund the rebate.  I asked if their commission was protected and they lied to me even though it was common knowledge that Oceania was protecting them.  In the midst of all of this they didn't advise me of my alternatives for receiving a refund or accepting a FCC.

I'd like to think that they were profiting from the cancellation since they were getting more net commission than normal.   In any case I refunded their rebate.

I know this is a convoluted excuse but all of my bookings since then have been and will be with Oceania.  

Dan

27 minutes ago, dj_crusin said:

I had a rather unique situation in April of this year.

I was booked on an Oceania trans-Atlantic cruise out of Buenos Aires which was cancelled.  Earlier when I had made final payment I received a cash rebate from the TA which was standard practice for this agency.  

When the cruise was cancelled the agency  demanded that I refund the rebate.  I asked if their commission was protected and they lied to me even though it was common knowledge that Oceania was protecting them.  In the midst of all of this they didn't advise me of my alternatives for receiving a refund or accepting a FCC.

I'd like to think that they were profiting from the cancellation since they were getting more net commission than normal.   In any case I refunded their rebate.

I know this is a convoluted excuse but all of my bookings since then have been and will be with Oceania.  

Dan

so you are cutting your nose to spite your face..that doesnt make much sense to me..at any rate he should not have paid you a cent until the cruise returned..JMHO

Jancruz1

I just decided..none of my business..

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 2

Interesting, people making assumptions on what is known. Today my TA told me the Travel Agents are currently only getting commissions on cancelled cruises where the cruisers selects the FCC option. No commissions on those sailings with cash refunds.

Fwiw, she’s not recommending fcc for anyone at this point. She’s had O cruisers that selected a fcc early on, and have now had three cruises canceled on them. Some still do, but it hasn’t been working out well!

7 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Thank you.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, bitob said:

There is far more motivation to upsell and perhaps not precisely meet the customer's needs if you are getting a percentage of the price paid.  This is pretty obvious to me.

I always want to know if someone is making a commission.

Consider a flat fee financial planner vs one who is making a commission on sale of securities.

DUH

I don't believe that this analogy applies, as any supposed  commissions would be paid paid by the Seller, not by the buyer.

57 minutes ago, zoncom said:

Why do I want to know? Because I have received unbeliveable shoddy treatment from O in house agents  .Some day when I am in the mood I will relay my two experiences.. 

This is why many of us experienced cruisers never use them, period. Among multiple other reasons

• Like 6

I doubt it.  Last week, I spoke to an O agent.  After booking, I wanted to add something to my booking. Called back and got voicemail, left a message for a call back, and waited.  It took more than a week to get a return call from that booking agent. Meanwhile I called O and spoke to another agent and added to my booking.  Better to use a travel agent.

No doubt O reps can vary.

I have been dealing with the same rep for some time and am very satisfied.

If you want something done with Oceania, the in house rep has direct access to a supervisor that can authorize things.  You can find out what availability is, and you can get an early heads up on new itineraries.

I asked the rep if he/she got a commission, and the answer was NO.

Compensation came in the form of recognition for a job well done.

• Like 1