Lisbon tips on what to see and do.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 1:29 PM, iancal said:

We stumbled into a quirky museum in Lisbon.  

It was a museum of royal carriages.  Did not take long to go through it but we did enjoy it.

We were there pre pandemic...hope you went to both buildings. The second one is across the street.  Amazing place. We also walked over to the maritime  museum. I really enjoyed that. Picked up a great little Portuguese  cookbook in the museum shop. 

2 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

We were there pre pandemic...hope you went to both buildings. The second one is across the street.  Amazing place. We also walked over to the maritime  museum. I really enjoyed that. Picked up a great little Portuguese  cookbook in the museum shop. 

Yes, we did.  When we visited there was some sort of fair going on in the grassy area nearby.  Lots of crafts, music, and traditional dancing along with food vendors.    We were four days in the Lisbon area.  

A number of times we just hopped on the streetcar to see where it would take us.  We often do this in other cities and sometimes end up in the most surprising and enjoyable areas.

Often people are unaware of Lisbon's Roman past. There is a lovely museum up on the hill in the Alfama district (oldest part of Lisbon) that includes some of the remains of the amphitheatre (more can be visited across the street):

https://www.golisbon.com/sight-seeing/roman-theater.html

Also, it is worth doing the Cloisters tour of the lovely old Se Cathedral for the cost of a couple euros, which also has some late Roman remains in addition to medieval ones:

https://www.lisbon.net/lisbon-cathedral

Finally, the archaeological museum, in Belem, is also very good -- not huge but has some quite nice pieces from the Roman past (as well as prehistoric Portugal....):

http://www.museunacionalarqueologia.gov.pt/?cat=70

• Like 3

If you’re true foodies I can highly recommend Culinary Backstreets for small walking tours to experience the culinary heritage of the city.  They operate in quite a few cities worldwide and they have a wonderful website and newsletter.  The tours are limited to 8 people.  I try to do a culinary tour or cooking class in as many locales as possible and have found I learn so much more about a country than just their food traditions.  Quite often the guides touch on history, politics, demographics, culture and their society.  And it’s great to take a tour like that early in your stay so you can get restaurant recommendations from the guide.  I think I’ve been into too many cathedrals, churches mansions and castles because after awhile they all seem so alike and tend to blur together in my memory but boy do I remember everything I ate and drank on a culinary tour!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 12:52 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

If you’re true foodies I can highly recommend Culinary Backstreets for small walking tours to experience the culinary heritage of the city.  They operate in quite a few cities worldwide and they have a wonderful website and newsletter.  The tours are limited to 8 people.  I try to do a culinary tour or cooking class in as many locales as possible and have found I learn so much more about a country than just their food traditions.  Quite often the guides touch on history, politics, demographics, culture and their society.  And it’s great to take a tour like that early in your stay so you can get restaurant recommendations from the guide.  I think I’ve been into too many cathedrals, churches mansions and castles because after awhile they all seem so alike and tend to blur together in my memory but boy do I remember everything I ate and drank on a culinary tour!

This sounds like my kind of tour.....I love trying new foods🙂.  I will be in Lisbon in October with 1 day pre-cruise and another day post cruise.  Does this company have a website?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Of course.  

Oh ok.....I didn't know. That's why I  was asking. I will google them. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

Oh ok.....I didn't know. That's why I  was asking. I will google them. 

Sorry about that.  Should have added a smiley face to my short response.  Your Google search should easily locate their website. 😊

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 5:11 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Often people are unaware of Lisbon's Roman past. There is a lovely museum up on the hill in the Alfama district (oldest part of Lisbon) that includes some of the remains of the amphitheatre (more can be visited across the street):

Also, it is worth doing the Cloisters tour of the lovely old Se Cathedral for the cost of a couple euros, which also has some late Roman remains in addition to medieval ones:

Finally, the archaeological museum, in Belem, is also very good -- not huge but has some quite nice pieces from the Roman past (as well as prehistoric Portugal....):

Some good ideas there also. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 11:11 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Do you know any tour operators that do small groups and would allow 4 people from a cruise to join?  We want to see Lisbon and ride the furnicular for sure.  The highlights of Lisbon would also be nice to see and I’d say we have a solid 5 hours but that’s it.  Not long enough, I know.

2 hours ago, midwestchick said:

Do you know any tour operators that do small groups and would allow 4 people from a cruise to join?  We want to see Lisbon and ride the furnicular for sure.  The highlights of Lisbon would also be nice to see and I’d say we have a solid 5 hours but that’s it.  Not long enough, I know.

I'm not personally familiar with any, sorry, as I tend to plan and do my own touring. 

I've also followed your posts on the other thread and while I agree ship tours are not ideal, they may be the best option for you given the limited time you have. I would rate the #28 tram ride very highly and enjoy the Alfama area most (second favorite is Belem) but keep in mind it is an actual operational tram so you can get crowded conditions at times and need to take care re: pickpockets, etc.. I was less excited about the funicular....

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 9:19 PM, midwestchick said:

You could email Lison Riders and see if they can try and accommodate you.  We took a tour with them in 2019 (we were not there for a port day though - but flew there for 3 days after a Barcelona cruise).  We actually booked a private tour since there were 5 of us and the cost was only minimally more than joining a group tour. Their website is: https://lisbonriders.com/   Never hurts to ask. 🙂 

25 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

You could email Lison Riders and see if they can try and accommodate you.  We took a tour with them in 2019 (we were not there for a port day though - but flew there for 3 days after a Barcelona cruise).  We actually booked a private tour since there were 5 of us and the cost was only minimally more than joining a group tour. Their website is: https://lisbonriders.com/   Never hurts to ask. 🙂 

Thank you but we have Spain Day tours booked for Lisbon.

We’re now looking for Gran Canaria and Lanzarote.

• 4 months later...
On 7/22/2021 at 4:36 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not personally familiar with any, sorry, as I tend to plan and do my own touring. 

I've also followed your posts on the other thread and while I agree ship tours are not ideal, they may be the best option for you given the limited time you have. I would rate the #28 tram ride very highly and enjoy the Alfama area most (second favorite is Belem) but keep in mind it is an actual operational tram so you can get crowded conditions at times and need to take care re: pickpockets, etc.. I was less excited about the funicular....

The 28 Tram is good but as said it can get very busy and being a operational tram used by locals and toursist alike take care of your valuables as pick pockets have been known to target it. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 11:49 AM, Pugdog007 said:

Is it easy to get around and explore Lisbon on your own without booking a tour?

Yes, but be aware that Lisbon is hilly.   We spent 4or 5 days there and walked most places, using the trams  to get to Belem and the aquarium.   We also spend a couple of days post cruise and also walked all over.   Since then, my DH's knees have become worse, so I don't think he'd be up to that much walking again.  At least not until he final gets a knee replacement.

You just need to  check out some good guidebooks, websites, Google maps and you should be able to find lots to do on  your own.  Lisbon is a wonderful city - enjoy.