FRED OLSEN LINE NORWEGIAN FJORDS

Rotterdam

I was planning a summer sailing the fjords on the BLACK WATCH OR BOUDICA. I would of loved sailing on those ships especially in Norway. The ability to get onto smaller ports & longer itineraries were major pluses.

Now that all has changed & I was wondering what everyone thought of sailing the Fjords on the 2 EX HAL ships.  I wasn't a fan of the old Rotterdam & Amsterdam and the inability to get into the smaller ports are major minuses.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts about this.

Also what is the optimal months to sail the fjords..Autumn, Winter? Spring ,Summer? 

Thank you & wishing everyone good health.🚢😊

Edited by Rotterdam
Addition

I presume it depends on the ports, though Fred does tend to do more scenic cruising and itineraries on new ships still mention that.  One big problem with the older ships was pollution levels which was increasingly going to be restrictive on ports/sailing areas because of that.  So in places like Norway the new ships may well be able to go into areas which would have to have been removed  c.f. previous itineraries, since new environmental restrictions are being introduced (I think for next year).

I like summer, preferably June, as it hardly goes dark at that time of year and probably more chance of better weather and less mist, though can never guarantee weather in Norway.  In winter cruises will not be fjiords cruises, but will go further north for potential viewing of the Northern Lights, though again not guaranteed.  Very scenic though with the snow.  Will be extremely cold in winter so need suitable clothing/footwear.  In summer it can be very pleasantly warm, especially in the fjiords, possibly T shirt and shorts weather.

Excursions, as well as spending ashore, is super expensive in Norway, so be aware of that.  Northern lights cruises may need excursions to get the best enjoyment and better chance of viewing of the Northern Lights without light pollution.  Well worth doing both seasons at some stage though as they are very different experiences.

Edited by tring

The newcomers to the fleet are still fairly small ships so I'm sure they will be able to get into some interesting ports and places. Several of next year's itineraries look good on them.

I've only done one Fjords cruise and that was in the first week of September. The weather was gorgeous. I would like to do a North Cape cruise with Fred - definitely on the wishlist.

10 hours ago, Britboys said:

I would like to do a North Cape cruise

One of my cruising highlights when I sailed on Royal Viking Sky at the time of the Summer Solstice.  Sailing around the North Cape when it was still bright enough on deck that one could sit in a deck chair and have enough light to read!  Memorable!

• Like 1

Have been to the Fjords a few time but the last time we went it was the month of June and it rained every day at some point and the scenic cruising was thick fog with the ships sirens being sounded!!  Just unlucky that time other times it hasn't been as bad.

On 11/5/2020 at 6:35 AM, Britboys said:

The newcomers to the fleet are still fairly small ships so I'm sure they will be able to get into some interesting ports and places. Several of next year's itineraries look good on them.

I've only done one Fjords cruise and that was in the first week of September. The weather was gorgeous. I would like to do a North Cape cruise with Fred - definitely on the wishlist.

Thank you...I hope to cruise on several back to back cruises so I'll have July through the first week of September in Norway( some people have lake houses I prefer a couple of months onboard).

I would of preferred being on Black Watch or her sister but do applaud & respect the environmental restrictions.

When covid subsides i look forward to my summer in Norway. 

• Like 1