Trying to understand FCC

Wayfairers

We have FCC from cancelled 2020 cruises.  I know there have been several threads on FCC and forgive me if these questions have already been answered on another thread.  I did a search before posting.

I believe if I book a new cruise the FCC cannot be used for the downpayment....is that correct?

What happens to that FCC if I book a cruise, use the FCC for the cruise payment and that cruise gets cancelled?  Do I have the option to get the money as a refund at that point or does it get returned as FCC since it started as FCC?

Have had this happen.  The credit gets lifted and returned to your account as a FCC.  Mine has been applied to a cruise, lifted and applied to another cruise.  I suspect the January 6 cruise will be cancelled and if it is, it will once again be lifted so I can apply to to another cruise.  My PCC is very good of keeping tract but I also keep my own records.  

• Like 1

FCC is returned as FCC, but never as money. It can be used on another cruise. We got FCC for the cancelled portion of the 2020 GWV. The FCC went to pay for the 2021 Grand Africa. We got 3% back for early payment. That returned FCC went on a Rotterdam East Coast cruise B2B with the GA. When the Rotterdam was sold, we got the FCC back again. It was applied to the Zaandam Montreal - Boston cruise right before the GA. Today HAL cancelled that one. Tomorrow we talk to our TA, and find a fifth cruise for our India rubber FCC to bounce off.

• Like 1

Oh my!   That’s crazy.  

we are hoping to be on the 2021 Grand Africa with you.  But, waiting to book because we already have $5500+ in FCC with HAL and really don’t want to let them hold more of our money until we know what is happening long term in the cruise world. Luckily they dated our FCC based on the date awarded rather than date cancelled so we’ve got a while to use it.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

we are hoping to be on the 2021 Grand Africa with you.  But, waiting to book because we already have $5500+ in FCC with HAL and really don’t want to let them hold more of our money until we know what is happening long term in the cruise world. Luckily they dated our FCC based on the date awarded rather than date cancelled so we’ve got a while to use it.  

That would be fun. Hope to meet you on board!

I certainly understand not wanting to launch more cash into an uncertain future. The FCC from the interrupted World Cruise fully covered the Grand Africa. All that came out of our pockets was the port fees and taxes. That made a big difference.

• Like 2

I think a lot depends on the letter you got cancelling your cruise.  My email from our cancelled cruise on the old Rotterdam, when she was sold, said "the amount received ....can be transferred to a new booking or will be refunded to the method of payment used for the original purchase" - I am hoping that means that the FCC from a previous cruise that had been applied to the Rotterdam cruise can be used as a deposit.  It all gets rather complicated, as we would like to book, but have no FCDs in our account, and we have no idea when we will be credited with all the FCC they owe us!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 9:32 AM, Vict0riann said:

I think a lot depends on the letter you got cancelling your cruise.  My email from our cancelled cruise on the old Rotterdam, when she was sold, said "the amount received ....can be transferred to a new booking or will be refunded to the method of payment used for the original purchase" - I am hoping that means that the FCC from a previous cruise that had been applied to the Rotterdam cruise can be used as a deposit.  It all gets rather complicated, as we would like to book, but have no FCDs in our account, and we have no idea when we will be credited with all the FCC they owe us!

We still haven’t had our FCC or FCD from our cancelled Rotterdam cruise credited to our account yet, either. BUT they let our TA book us a cabin on a replacement cruise on the Zaandam with no deposit based on the fact that it was coming, so it balanced out. 
Except that THAT cruise was just cancelled, so back on the cruise carousel we go.😏

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 1:18 AM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

FCC is returned as FCC, but never as money. It can be used on another cruise. We got FCC for the cancelled portion of the 2020 GWV. The FCC went to pay for the 2021 Grand Africa. We got 3% back for early payment. That returned FCC went on a Rotterdam East Coast cruise B2B with the GA. When the Rotterdam was sold, we got the FCC back again. It was applied to the Zaandam Montreal - Boston cruise right before the GA. Today HAL cancelled that one. Tomorrow we talk to our TA, and find a fifth cruise for our India rubber FCC to bounce off.

Same here exactly except the FCC came as a result of the Westerdam "Pariah Cruise" and also worth noting that a TA is involved rather than a PCC.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 10:51 AM, Wayfairers said:

Oh my!   That’s crazy.  

Looking forward to seeing you on the roll call!

• Like 1

We have funded our next cruise (Mar '21) partly with FCC and partly from our own pocket. If the cruise is cancelled by HAL, I understand the FCC portion will be credited back to our Mariner account, but what about the portion we paid for out of pocket?

Will that portion also be converted to FCC, and/or will we be offered a choice between FCC and a refund of the paid amount?

36 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

We have funded our next cruise (Mar '21) partly with FCC and partly from our own pocket. If the cruise is cancelled by HAL, I understand the FCC portion will be credited back to our Mariner account, but what about the portion we paid for out of pocket?

Will that portion also be converted to FCC, and/or will we be offered a choice between FCC and a refund of the paid amount?

Haven’t experienced it but from what I’ve read FCC is returned as FCC and cash paid is returned as FCC unless you request a refund.