Possible COVID Case on SeaDream

robertmartha

Gene Sloan (The Points Guy) is writing from this cruise.  It's not good news considering they tested 3 days prior and then the day of embarkation and now they have a case onboard?  From the flight, no doubt.  So, how do they ever think this will work?   Gene has written a few articles regarding this cruise; why we wanted to go, how the boarding went and then this one, the latest one.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/caribbean-cruise-covid-scare-seadream/

Thanks for the link cruising nut - 

totally agree...even with all the testing before and during the cruise - a possible case is still possible. 

I am sure this will be all over the boards and the internet if the case turns out to be positive - esp with the point guy on board reporting. Will be interesting for sure....

"From the flight, no doubt". Or the gift shop attendant at the airport, or the baggage handlers at the airport, or the baggage handlers at the pier, or the barista at the coffee shop, etc. Barbados has reported 5 new cases yesterday which is 5 times as many as a few days prior, all from visitors to the island.

Wherever it came from, it's not the crew!   And SD has done an extremely good job with protocols.  I bet if you interviewed the passengers, you will find someone was not heeding protocols the night before they flew into BGI.  

I pray the Barbados government will allow them to sail again.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, floatn said:

"From the flight, no doubt". Or the gift shop attendant at the airport, or the baggage handlers at the airport, or the baggage handlers at the pier, or the barista at the coffee shop, etc. Barbados has reported 5 new cases yesterday which is 5 times as many as a few days prior, all from visitors to the island.

Exactly!  Too many methods of transmission.  Really, the only way to do this without a vaccine is to quarantine people for 7-14 days prior to the cruise.  I don't think people would want to "bed down" in the cruise terminal for that period of time.  Crazy idea?  Yes?  ONLY way this will work right now?  Yes. 

I disagree.  I think Seadream has gone above and beyond, except perhaps drilling the new passengers as to where they were/what they were doing 3 to 4 days before embarkation.  We are still booked for Christmas and we pray the Barbados govmt will allow them to try again.  No this is not selfish on my part.  This is just how confident I feel.  
if you want to get on Seadream, then don’t go out partying before you travel !  Stay extremely vigilant, masked, travel with wipes, stay away from people !  
Or don’t go!   This crew, company - they are doing their utmost and I am proud of them! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We are booked for a back to back starting Saturday and just got the call that next week at least is cancelled.  They are preparing a letter to detail our options as to what happens next.  And we will stick faithfully by SeaDream and hope they can still keep sailing.  We’ve been socially isolating in a tiny bubble of two people basically since March and if we don’t get out of this house soon something is going to crack. 

I am wishing with all of my heart for SeaDream to pull through this, as well as the islands which so desperately need tourism to survive.  Disappointed but optimistic!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sunswimsail said:

This is going from bad to worse.  Now 5 or 6 and everyone is stuck in their rooms.  We were suppose to be embarking this weekend, so happy the “kids” in our group talked us into moving the trip. Such a shame. 

So sad to hear this, at least you dont have to embark onto a sick ship.

Edited by NSWP

The question is not WHETHER COVID-19 will occur onboard, but HOW the cruise lines deal with it when it does. I have no illusions about the virus magically disappearing, but yet our world has to continue, INCLUDING CRUISING. Personally, I'd have no problem going on a mega cruise ship knowing there were some people with COVID onboard. I take proper precautions constantly and I continue to live my life. Even if I were to become infected, I am part of a population with a 99% survival rate, so I'm not worried. The decision about whether to go aboard is a personal one, and I wouldn't presume to tell others what to do, just as it's nobody else's business to tell me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Members

I put an update in the other thread, but the Friday count is now seven positive cases. Five of them came from a group of six Americans traveling together. The other two are a husband and wife. 

Everyone else onboard has been confirmed negative after taking two tests -- the one used onboard the ship and the other from the Barbados authorities. 

We are being told that the ship is telling the passengers that those who are negative will be able to fly home tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Kent, you can't compare a trip to Costco with being on a cruise ship.

People go to Costco for an hour and then go home.

Passengers are on a cruise ship for a week confined in a small space that is conducive to spreading viruses.

Tom.

• Like 1

I just can’t fathom the mindset of people who are still jumping at the first chance of a cruise right in the middle of a worldwide COVID pandemic.  Doubtless they will all be complaining about being stuck on the ship in quarantine while they would all rush back home and infect yet more people given half a chance.  

Give up your cruise addiction for a year and let this thing pass !

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Winchester Ranger said:

I just can’t fathom the mindset of people who are still jumping at the first chance of a cruise right in the middle of a worldwide COVID pandemic.

Why did you come to this forum and feel the need to  judge people for the choices they make.

SeaDream has decided to cruise.  People here in this forum have decided to book a cruise with them. 

Why did you feel compelled to be critical, and shame people who do not think like you?

• Like 6

SeaDream are operating under every known and applicable regulation and the passengers have passed all known regulations in order to be onboard.  Covid exposure is unavoidable, even for those hiding under their beds at home.  The published information, even from our government, shows a very very slight mortality rate compared to the general population.  The world needs to get on with it and deal with those who contract serious cases, as has been done with all earlier epidemics.  The vast majority of us will do just fine.  Sitting at home and not doing things has its own hazards.  Rest assured, something will get all of us eventually.  Hide if you must.  Let others do what they can.

• Like 6