Celebrity Cruises Introduces New "Always Included" Pricing

yvrdave

As everyone has said, book what you want under what ever circumstances you want.

The last thing any consumer should do is to be "loyal" to any service provider, without automatically examining the value offered by the competition.

Having retired from marketing - in our corporate boardroom we had a big picture with the words "Obedient Consumer, We Love You". In each meeting we saluted the sign.

Yep, you Obedient Consumers provided much consistent revenue to our corporate clients despite their constant activities of downgrading. 

But none of us were loyal to any service provider, even though many of us are retired, we keep in touch and we share stories of various companies trying to screw the consumer. I always provide Celebrity as an example and Celebrity is consistently in the top 5 of our hit list.

The old saying remains totally valid today "There Is A Sucker Born Every Minute" - yes that is true.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Everything you say makes total sense, Pinboy!  We are def on the same page re buffet, I never eat there, just go to people watch.  In my company, for annual benefits, we get a "menu" to select, benefits are not a "one size fits all" commodity in any way, thus our costs vary from employee to employee.  Perhaps for those not in a suite where the 4 perks are already included, they could implement such a process.  From what you and many many others here have said, this just might do the trick.

There have been choices in the past: refundable or non-refundable deposit, 

0 perks, 1 perk, 2 perks, 3 perks, military rate, senior rate, resident rate, upgrade to Drinks & More, upgrade from Classic to Premium package and many have complained that they find it too confusing and that the lowest rate frequently didn't include any perks or not the perk they wanted. 

The people on CC generally represent about 5% of cruisers and possibly not what a majority would prefer.    I look at what Celebrity has done with the Suite's and it seems to be popular as on most sailings suites were selling out quickly.

They will never please everyone with their pricing or marketing of the product.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

We have b2b Jan/Feb 2022 on Edge. Our winter cruises are merely an escape from the cold winter. We do not take tours or even go to the beach  anymore. We get off the ship and take a little walk nowadays. If, in 2022, we can't do that, we will be prisoners on the ship.  Needless to say, that will not work.

If our May cruise does go to Greece, we know some of the ports very well and have not interest in sitting on a tour bus. So, that may not work out for us, too.  I don't care so much about that because our first choice is to park ourselves at a nice hotel and walk around and sightsee at our leisure.

However, for our winter vacations, if there will be restrictions,  it will be time for us to find an alternative to cruising.

As a consumer, you should be looking at alternatives to cruising for sure. If you want to travel, what are your options as it were.

I was hooked on cruising from 1989 to 2015 - then found customized land tours and cruising just faded into history for half the time. Cruising became only 1 option.

Cruising is good for very specific venues like Norway, around South America, Tahiti etc - but most other places, between planes and trains, you can get everywhere else and have a Customized vacation eating local regional foods in real restaurants in a real hotel meeting real people.

Much of the time, it is not so much about the $ - it is about the reality of the experience - how in depth is it, is it a "drive by" or is it real?

Cruising has come off a 5 year high, but let us be frank, one needs to expect significant downgrading of the on board experience so they can make up $ due to their debt.

Expand your horizons, think of other possibilities, see the real locations.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

Plain out Rude...what goes around comes around

.,Enjoy your unlimited everything at higher prices!

Yep, hcat, well said.

As my earlier post said, "there is a sucker born every minute"

But in the end, each consumer can decide what they spend their $ on. Everyone has different parameters.

I am sure the corporate board at Celebrity will worship MarinerBoy as he is contributing to their outsized bonuses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

As a consumer, you should be looking at alternatives to cruising for sure. If you want to travel, what are your options as it were.

I was hooked on cruising from 1989 to 2015 - then found customized land tours and cruising just faded into history for half the time. Cruising became only 1 option.

Cruising is good for very specific venues like Norway, around South America, Tahiti etc - but most other places, between planes and trains, you can get everywhere else and have a Customized vacation eating local regional foods in real restaurants in a real hotel meeting real people.

Much of the time, it is not so much about the $ - it is about the reality of the experience - how in depth is it, is it a "drive by" or is it real?

Cruising has come off a 5 year high, but let us be frank, one needs to expect significant downgrading of the on board experience so they can make up $ due to their debt.

Expand your horizons, think of other possibilities, see the real locations.

Your assumption seems to suggest that just because take a cruise vacation, we are not as smart as you to do other land based?  Couple of things, don't assume how we do vacations, and don't assume we do not do land vacations as well.  I thoroughly enjoy both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, riredsox said:

How do you know how much the ‘upgrade’ is?   There have been no prices revealed.  If you are talking about the $30 or $60 a day upgrade that is on top of the new pricing.   You might think differently if prices are doubled and you only get the slow internet and classic package.   

These will become the good old days to all the Whippersnappers out there

They will see this as a time for great service and food

They will see the ships as more  comfortable and prices reasonable

They will see the air as cleaner and the water more drinkable. All this will come more quickly than they can imagine. Past generations will hear what those who criticized and laugh. 

Boatnerd and LGW59.

In Europe, we do mostly land. During a 3 week vacation, we stay at 2 places and enjoy.

However, in the winter, with a few exceptions in southern Europe, which was really too cold, we have been cruising the Carib. We know people who rent in Mexico and maybe that will be an option. But we are getting up there in years and have to do EASY travelling!

9 minutes ago, Orator said:

These will become the good old days to all the Whippersnappers out there

They will see this as a time for great service and food

They will see the ships as more  comfortable and prices reasonable

They will see the air as cleaner and the water more drinkable. All this will come more quickly than they can imagine. Past generations will hear what those who criticized and laugh. 

My comment should have been attached to MarinerBoy. Sorry

• Like 1

Let's remember that we have an "alert system" for rude posts (and posts that do not follow the community guidelines).  Hover over the three dots in the upper right corner of any post and hit the REPORT option to send us a message.  Also remember that if you've quoted and/or responded to a post that is removed for a violation, your post is also removed.

Let's really try to avoid being rude to one another.  2020 has been difficult enough on its own!

Thanks for your cooperation!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ABoatNerd said:

As everyone has said, book what you want under what ever circumstances you want.

The last thing any consumer should do is to be "loyal" to any service provider, without automatically examining the value offered by the competition.

Having retired from marketing - in our corporate boardroom we had a big picture with the words "Obedient Consumer, We Love You". In each meeting we saluted the sign.

Yep, you Obedient Consumers provided much consistent revenue to our corporate clients despite their constant activities of downgrading. 

But none of us were loyal to any service provider, even though many of us are retired, we keep in touch and we share stories of various companies trying to screw the consumer. I always provide Celebrity as an example and Celebrity is consistently in the top 5 of our hit list.

The old saying remains totally valid today "There Is A Sucker Born Every Minute" - yes that is true.

It seems as though you and your retired colleagues may have been very happy in your complicity to assist "screw" the consumer?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

It seems as though you and your retired colleagues may have been very happy in your complicity to assist "screw" the consumer?

Of course they are. HA!  What do you think marketing is about? One of its purposes is to convince people who don't need something that they really want it. That is exactly what Celebrity is doing with the new always included. 🤣

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Of course they are. HA!  What do you think marketing is about? One of its purposes is to convince people who don't need something that they really want it. That is exactly what Celebrity is doing with the new always included. 🤣

Sign me up...oh wait, I already have!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Celebrity is trying that, but , some of us might not “ Buy in “. We are smart and can’t be fooled !

Have to keep my response short because I gotta send the “ Processing Fees”  to a lawyer in Africa who is representing a “ family member “ who left me $ 30 million in his will.

Just because I never heard of the guy doesn’t matter.  

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Celebrity is trying that, but , some of us might not “ Buy in “. We are smart and can’t be fooled !

Have to keep my response short because I gotta send the “ Processing Fees”  to a lawyer in Africa who is representing a “ family member “ who left me $ 30 million in his will.

Just because I never heard of the guy doesn’t matter. 

It's got to be true. It came through the internet. Did he ask for the fee in Game Stop gift cards?

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Yep, hcat, well said.

As my earlier post said, "there is a sucker born every minute"

But in the end, each consumer can decide what they spend their $ on. Everyone has different parameters.

I am sure the corporate board at Celebrity will worship MarinerBoy as he is contributing to their outsized bonuses.

It’ll be interesting to see their bonuses next year, for 2020. Even though the line lost billions of dollars, they will be handsomely taken care of because it wasn’t their fault.

1 minute ago, grandgeezer said:

It’ll be interesting to see their bonuses next year, for 2020. Even though the line lost billions of dollars, they will be handsomely taken care of because it wasn’t their fault.

They will be well earned, whatever they are, Lisa Lutoff-Perlo...rock on!!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

It's got to be true. It came through the internet. Did he ask for the fee in Game Stop gift cards?

Don’t know what Game Stop gift cards are.  
Of course it’s true .
LOL,  ( Just for fun ) Mr Marketing ,Can I convince you that you want a “ piece of the action “ , even though you don’t need it ?

58 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Ms Lutoff-Perlo's bonus last year was $1,100,000 and salary of $4,400,000.  Based on revenue of $11,000,000,000, that is commensurate with most industries.  Before COVID, she steered Celebrity to record growth with her innovation.  No idea what her bonus will be this year, but whatever it is, she will have earned it!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Ms Lutoff-Perlo's bonus last year was $1,100,000 and salary of $4,400,000.  Based on revenue of $11,000,000,000, that is commensurate with most industries.  Before COVID, she steered Celebrity to record growth with her innovation.  No idea what her bonus will be this year, but whatever it is, she will have earned it!

Your numbers are a bit off. Her salary was $1,900,000 and her bonus (called equity on the report) was 2,400,000 (called cash), on revenue of $11,000,000,000.

This year revenue will be about - (loss) of $3,000,000,000. If you think that deserves a bonus, you are beyond reasoning. If you give her all the credit for the rise in revenue it is also fair to give her the all the credit for the loss.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

It will be very interesting to see what the excursion prices will be like due to the COVID restrictions. They should be quite a bit lower if they’re not allowing private excursions. TUI cruises had some lower prices in Europe and they are all inclusive as well. Let’s see what $200 will get us.

Yes, they need to be lower and not pricing for a 'captive audience' otherwise there will be a revolting revolt over it all.... LOL

bon voyage

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

... or deferred for a year or two... for appearances sake of the masses who might jump up and down in awe and wonder what the heck was the BOD thinking.

While not thinking their thoughts and others thoughts on compensation is in a very different space and place, as usual.

bon voyage

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

Your numbers are a bit off. Her salary was $1,900,000 and her bonus (called equity on the report) was 2,400,000 (called cash), on revenue of $11,000,000,000.

This year revenue will be about - (loss) of $3,000,000,000. If you think that deserves a bonus, you are beyond reasoning. If you give her all the credit for the rise in revenue it is also fair to give her the all the credit for the loss.

You are correct geezer, but you get the gist, her total comp in the same range.  You say tomatoe, I say tomato.  Why would she get penalized for loss in revenue during pandemic?  It is a redundant question, as she will not, Celebrity bookings are through the roof.   She is a female executive star in the male dominated cruise industry, RCG will and is doing everything possible to keep her, rightly so.  Keep breaking that glass ceiling Queen Lisa!!! 

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo

The total compensation for Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, president and CEO, Celebrity Cruises, was $4.43m, up from $3.84m. Lutoff-Perlo's salary went to $770,769 from $688,462, and stock awards were worth nearly $2.28m, up from $1.79m. Her cash bonus of nearly $1.1m compared to almost $1.23m the year before. 'Other compensation' was $142,114.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, yvrdave said:

Celebrity Cruises introduces new "Always Included" pricing for new bookings made after Nov. 17, 2020, as reported in Cruise Critic's Cruise News today.  Being Elite Plus cruisers we feel we've been thrown overboard as it seems our loyalty has no perks any more.  So long Celebrity, it's been nice. 

I’m sure I’ll get some hate for this...but I’m in my early thirties and super loyal to Celebrity (we enjoy being the young ones on the boat;)...)

I think this is a great move for Celebrity. It is basically what they’ve already been doing with a bit more transparency. Their prices will likely go up (compared to the sale and “go better/best”), but at the end of the day we all know the service is unparalleled compared to RCL, Norwegian, Costa, etc. And, they’re doing something different than Princess and Holland America...

We’ll still be on their cruises and I hope we’ll still be the young ones on board:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

You are correct geezer, but you get the gist, her total comp in the same range.  You say tomatoe, I say tomato.  Why would she get penalized for loss in revenue during pandemic?  It is a redundant question, as she will not, Celebrity bookings are through the roof.   She is a female executive star in the male dominated cruise industry, RCG will and is doing everything possible to keep her, rightly so.  Keep breaking that glass ceiling Queen Lisa!!! 

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo

The total compensation for Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, president and CEO, Celebrity Cruises, was $4.43m, up from $3.84m. Lutoff-Perlo's salary went to $770,769 from $688,462, and stock awards were worth nearly $2.28m, up from $1.79m. Her cash bonus of nearly $1.1m compared to almost $1.23m the year before. 'Other compensation' was $142,114.

Speaking of tomato's...a neighbor stopped by with a bunch of green ones.  We sliced em up and dipped those bad boys in egg and bread crumbs, plopped em on an english muffin, tossed them with mozzarella then popped in the toaster oven, can you say a taste of heaven!!!!  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Over the years I have read  so many complaints about cuts, nickel and diming, poor service on all of the boards that I follow. Then you look at the signatures and see how many future cruises they have booked with the same line that they are complaining about.  Some even book extra cruises or sail single to get to the next level. These marking programs do work in favor of the cruise lines. Most of the perks through these loyalty programs are just a lot of fluff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1