Big ship "Antarctic Experience." What exactly does this mean?

easteregg7

I have an idea which might be good and might be really dumb.  I recently spent several days in Ushuaia before I did a trip to the Falklands and S Georgia.  Wandering around the main street in Ushuaia, I saw a number of travel agencies advertising last minute cruises to Antarctica.  I have no idea how much you would save and what the chances you would have of not getting anything.  Has anyone out there done what I am suggesting and what were your experiences.  

DON

• Like 1

I haven’t seen anything around $5000 in years (aside from the mega ships with no landings). If it’s possible to save up a bit more, you can find some last-minute or early-booking deals around $7000 on an expedition ship. And if you can find some friends to join, booking a quad or triple cabin can save a few $K!

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2020 at 11:31 PM, Heartfelttraveler said:

If you are planning on at least a window cabin check out Hurtigruten.  Check pricing on the 12 night on the norwegian site (www.hurtigruten.no) and do the currency exchange to get the equivalent in USD.  Then call the USA office and ask them to match the pricing.

Is there a reason to go through the US office? Can't one simply book through the Norwegian site? 

On 6/18/2021 at 11:10 PM, donaldsc said:

I have an idea which might be good and might be really dumb.  I recently spent several days in Ushuaia before I did a trip to the Falklands and S Georgia.  Wandering around the main street in Ushuaia, I saw a number of travel agencies advertising last minute cruises to Antarctica.  I have no idea how much you would save and what the chances you would have of not getting anything.  Has anyone out there done what I am suggesting and what were your experiences.  

DON

I've heard of that as well. Typically, in a travelogue by someone who happened to be in Ushuaia at the time. 

I am not sure how good of a strategy that is. We've done walk on a ferry in Greece pre-internet, but with limited sailings, is it a good idea to hang around Ushuaia for a few weeks hoping for a suitable opening?

However, I've noticed that prices of some Antarctica cruises drop at the last minute. If one's job allows one to take a vacation instantly, it might be worthwhile to buy last minute cruises, even accounting for increased airfares. 

• 7 months later...

Hello All, 

As some others said, I am also on the lower budget side traveler/cruiser. 

100-150 USD / day / person what I can spend on a trip.

But still I think being on a big ship and cruise by Antarctica you can get a glimpse of that wonderland. Seeing whales and birds on the way and enjoy the ports on those locations you are actually allowed to land.

Thanks for the tip with balcony cabin.  I was not sure how important is to have your own view, but yes I can imagine that the decks are crowded when there is something to see out there. 

• 1 month later...

Am booked on a cruise with 3 days “cruising the Antartica peninsula.” Am worried that I’ll be cold while o/s on deck. Should I bring my LLBean down coat that kept me warm all winter hiking across campus in Connecticut? I left it at home while on my Alaska cruise and missed some good stuff when I went back to my stateroom to warm up.

Thx!

12 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Am booked on a cruise with 3 days “cruising the Antartica peninsula.” Am worried that I’ll be cold while o/s on deck. Should I bring my LLBean down coat that kept me warm all winter hiking across campus in Connecticut? I left it at home while on my Alaska cruise and missed some good stuff when I went back to my stateroom to warm up.

Thx!

Expect temps around freezing with the usual breezes you get while on the deck of a cruiseship.  If that means your LL Bean coat, then so be it!  Bring a fleece or two, too.  Better to be overprepared than under! You certainly don't want to go inside and miss some of the experience again.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Thx!

We have been to the Antarctic several times ... two expeditions on small vessels and one cruise on Oceania Insignia. What we have found that really helps is layers ... we have merino wool long johns and fleece leggings and tops.  Over these, we wear waterproof pants that help us stay dry, but also have the benefit of protecting us from the wind.  Similarly, our top outer layer is both windproof and waterproof and has a hood to pull up if necessary.  We double up on socks, and take stick on toe warmers to put between the socks ... one set lasts about 8 hours.  Gloves and a wool beanie.

I can't stress strongly enough windproof (and waterproof ... we had both snow and rain on Insignia).

Just for fun, I have attached photos of us taken by a fellow passenger on Insignia this year in the Antarctic.  The three of us were the only ones on the outer decks ... it was wet and windy ... everyone else was indoors.  Crazy, were we?  Perhaps.  But the best place to be when in Antarctica is on the outer decks (or your veranda although that limits you to your side of the ship).  You never know what might pop up right next to the ship at any given time (like whales bubble net feeding in our case).

Also, bear in mind that the interior of the ship will tend to be cool too because doors keep opening and closing.  I'm not sure what your itinerary is, but if you are going around the tip of South America, the temps will start cooling once you reach the Chilean Fjords and remain cool for a couple of days after you make it around the tip, or if you continue onto the Falklands.

Have a wonderful time.

9fkv61esy1tz8_l.thumb.jpg.11bc1047f45832f3a8005d00e9e41547.jpg

3scdtrxutgejx_l.thumb.jpg.9a78383a6a564c8d4e050c986fa60a0e.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

We have been to the Antarctic several times ... two expeditions on small vessels and one cruise on Oceania Insignia. What we have found that really helps is layers ... we have merino wool long johns and fleece leggings and tops.  Over these, we wear waterproof pants that help us stay dry, but also have the benefit of protecting us from the wind.  Similarly, our top outer layer is both windproof and waterproof and has a hood to pull up if necessary.  We double up on socks, and take stick on toe warmers to put between the socks ... one set lasts about 8 hours.  Gloves and a wool beanie.

I can't stress strongly enough windproof (and waterproof ... we had both snow and rain on Insignia).

Just for fun, I have attached photos of us taken by a fellow passenger on Insignia this year in the Antarctic.  The three of us were the only ones on the outer decks ... it was wet and windy ... everyone else was indoors.  Crazy, were we?  Perhaps.  But the best place to be when in Antarctica is on the outer decks (or your veranda although that limits you to your side of the ship).  You never know what might pop up right next to the ship at any given time (like whales bubble net feeding in our case).

Also, bear in mind that the interior of the ship will tend to be cool too because doors keep opening and closing.  I'm not sure what your itinerary is, but if you are going around the tip of South America, the temps will start cooling once you reach the Chilean Fjords and remain cool for a couple of days after you make it around the tip, or if you continue onto the Falklands.

Have a wonderful time.

9fkv61esy1tz8_l.thumb.jpg.11bc1047f45832f3a8005d00e9e41547.jpg

3scdtrxutgejx_l.thumb.jpg.9a78383a6a564c8d4e050c986fa60a0e.jpg

Wow! Thx! It looks like you’re having a great time! I appreciate the advice! I plan to be better prepared this time, thx!

11 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Expect temps around freezing with the usual breezes you get while on the deck of a cruiseship.  If that means your LL Bean coat, then so be it!  Bring a fleece or two, too.  Better to be overprepared than under! You certainly don't want to go inside and miss some of the experience again.

Very good advice! Thank you!

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2021 at 11:28 PM, edhopper said:

I want to add a question to this. We are thinking of a Antarctic Cruise in 2023 or 2024. We can't afford the $10,000 + cruises but could do something in the $4,000-$5,000 range. What would be companies to look at, and do you think the new Polar Code will allow less expensive cruises.

Don't think you get something in that price range...or only if you have time to spend a week or two in Ushuaia to wait and book last-minute-berth on ships where people didn't show up or cancelled...

2 hours ago, onyx007 said:

Don't think you get something in that price range...or only if you have time to spend a week or two in Ushuaia to wait and book last-minute-berth on ships where people didn't show up or cancelled...

We ended up going in early 2023. We went with Hurtigruten. We got a deal with them and also paid in Norwegian Kroner, which further saved us money. It cost us about $8500 each for a 14 day cruise. It was the trip of a lifetime and worth every penny.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, edhopper said:

We ended up going in early 2023. We went with Hurtigruten. We got a deal with them and also paid in Norwegian Kroner, which further saved us money. It cost us about $8500 each for a 14 day cruise. It was the trip of a lifetime and worth every penny.

Good for you, I did it in February 2020 with G-Adventures and a ship called "G-Expedition" and yes including Falklands and South Georgia (I was more impressed with South Georgia) and some landings in the Antarctic IT WAS a trip of a lifetime...

22 hours ago, onyx007 said:

Good for you, I did it in February 2020 with G-Adventures and a ship called "G-Expedition" and yes including Falklands and South Georgia (I was more impressed with South Georgia) and some landings in the Antarctic IT WAS a trip of a lifetime...

Since G Adv only has one ship, their South Georgia trips are more limited. Especially since they capitalize on marketing to all the G enthusiasts from other tours, the few FI/SGI/A trips they run each year often sell out, and deals are hard to find.

….but not impossible if you’re flexible and a bit lucky. G usually runs one Greenland trip per season that books up years in advance, and thanks to a cancellation, we managed to snag a spot that qualified for a significant last-minute discount.

(My first expedition was with G, sailing in early season at the time, and I managed to get a berth for around $5K. Those days are gone, but edge season still has some major savings.)

1 hour ago, kaisatsu said:

Since G Adv only has one ship, their South Georgia trips are more limited. Especially since they capitalize on marketing to all the G enthusiasts from other tours, the few FI/SGI/A trips they run each year often sell out, and deals are hard to find.

….but not impossible if you’re flexible and a bit lucky. G usually runs one Greenland trip per season that books up years in advance, and thanks to a cancellation, we managed to snag a spot that qualified for a significant last-minute discount.

(My first expedition was with G, sailing in early season at the time, and I managed to get a berth for around $5K. Those days are gone, but edge season still has some major savings.)

Unfortunatly they stopped going to Greenland (or Arctic in General) since Covid, would have liked to go with them again to the North...

11 hours ago, onyx007 said:

Unfortunatly they stopped going to Greenland (or Arctic in General) since Covid, would have liked to go with them again to the North...

Huh. I had thought that was a temporary hiatus rather than a permanent choice. I wonder what they’re doing with the ship’s lease in the northern summer season.